Back after a few years, major changes?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

wilberwind #1 Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:14 AM

Private

• Player
  • 25120 battles

Hello all,

I'm now downloading the game and my garage is probably more or less different since my last battle in October 2015 but apart from that has there been any game changing updates I should know about? I deleted everything then and didn't look back until now.

I had a few mods back in the day, still necessary?

IncandescentGerbil #2 Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35686 battles
Russian tanks are more fictional and OP than ever; the best players now dislike (or claim to dislike) XVM; if you want to win it helps to fire gold at literally everything; the maps are now HD but if you play them for long enough they merely look normal.

Strappster #3 Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

General

• Player
  • 24915 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

The only mod I use is Oldskool's Auto Equip, which automatically swaps movable equipment (binos, camo net, toolbox) between tanks. Most of the other good stuff from XVM (minimap circles, arty shell view, changing sixth sense sound) is in the client now.

If you want to use other mods, make sure to get them from the official site - wgmods.net. That's WG's own mod site and anything submitted has been checked to ensure compliance with the Fair Play Policy. As far as I know you can still install mods downloaded from elsewhere but there's the possibility that one or more of those mods might be in breach of the Policy, leading to an account suspension and/or ban.

There's been a major change to artillery, shells have less pen and deliver less damage but can fire more often and the larger guns can stun targets, which slows down the crew's reaction times. Light tank lines have been extended to tier 10 and lights now get standard match-making; all lights have been reworked for the new match-making (except premiums, which has made the older ones considerably stronger than before).

While standard match-making is still +/-2 tiers as it was when you stopped playing, there's now a template system of 3/5/7 where the top tier has only 3 tanks, middle tier 5 and bottom tier has 7. Or 5/10 top/bottom tiers. Or minor variations around those numbers. This has been a great change for some tiers, not so great for others such as tier 8, which now sees tier 10 much more often than in the past.

You've picked a great time to return as we're mid-way through a marathon that can earn you a tier 8 premium tank. It can be completed in tier 10 tanks by meeting specific criteria or by grinding xp in other tiers. As you can imagine, this means a larger proportion of weekend-style play than you might expect.

Balc0ra #4 Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66636 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Biggest changes? Your Death star, or 183 is now a premium tank with crew training bonus only as it's been removed and replaced with a new TD that should be in your garage. Your T-10 is now moved to a new line that don't have a tier X atm, but the tank it replaced should be in your garage as a tier 9 HT. Your VK 4502 B has moved and leads to a new rear turreted tier X HT. While the Maus line has tanks that represent that more on tier 8 and 9. WT auf E100 is removed as it was deemed to broken to nerf. So you have a Grille 15 now instead.

Your 13 90 and T49 are now tier 9 lights. As lights goes up to tier X. So they have +2 MM now. Not +3. Some has had some gun nerfs. Others like the 13 90 got a pen buff and lost 2 rounds, but way faster reload. T49 got a 90mm with 3K dpm with good pen. Bulldog lost it's clip gun. As that 10 round mag would be to OP vs tier 6 that it now faces. And the line he is on is a single fire line. As indicated by the 2nd T71 that appeared.

Your tier 9 Foch TD is now a clip tank with a 4 round magazine with more or less the same gun. The Foch 155 it leads to has been removed and made into a special tank like the 183. So now it leads to the Foch B that has a 6 round clip gun.

British TD on the death star line got major armor buffs. Expect the AT-2 that got nerfed.

Arty got nerfed across the board. Now they do less damage, faster reload and have less HE pen. They lost their AP and HEAT ammo. Gold ammo only gives 1m more splash. As now their main job is to stun targets and farm assist damage on that. Not to be main damage dealers and take out higher tier HT's with one shot.

O-I Exp lost it's big gun, mobility is nerfed, but the armor got buffed at the front.

That's the most vital changes anyway for the tanks you have.

Besides that, there are new nations for you to explore. Or not. Russian TD's got some changes on the SU-100M1 line, the tier X is now tier 9 and the 122-54 is gone. The tier 7/8 has way more armor, but worse dispersion guns etc. New tier X Russian meds as the 430 is now a tier 9 with a 122mm gun, and it has a new tier X that leads to it.

Edited by Balc0ra, 22 April 2018 - 11:43 AM.

kejmo #5 Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:54 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29167 battles

Russian tanks still OP, WG dictators even went few steps further and invented some SciFi MegaBrokenOP Russian (ofc) tanks. 

TLDR, as usual - stick to Russian tech tree. 

wilberwind #6 Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:56 AM

Private

• Player
  • 25120 battles

Thanks a bunch! Eager to discover new things but sadly the (verbal) hostility is still rampant, at least on these forums.

Damn this updating is ridiculous! How many gigs is the HD client?? Now at 37GB...

Edited by wilberwind, 22 April 2018 - 12:00 PM.

Strappster #7 Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:12 PM

General

• Player
  • 24915 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postwilberwind, on 22 April 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

Thanks a bunch! Eager to discover new things but sadly the (verbal) hostility is still rampant, at least on these forums.

Damn this updating is ridiculous! How many gigs is the HD client?? Now at 37GB...

erm ...

:unsure:

Did you go for high quality sounds? I stuck with standard quality and my ears couldn't tell the difference, same as that "music" young people play that all sounds the same and there's never a tune you can whistle.

Oh, and another thing, there's a bug in the 1.0 implementation where you might experience excessive loading time when starting a battle. The initial workaround from WG was to install the game on an SSD (seriously, that was the workaround) but it's since been found that you can move a couple of sound files to an SSD or RAMDisk and that seems to help a lot with mitigating the load time.

Details are in the tech section, though try it first as it might be fine on your PC.

RamRaid90 #8 Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:19 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22148 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View PostStrappster, on 22 April 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

erm ...

:unsure:

Did you go for high quality sounds? I stuck with standard quality and my ears couldn't tell the difference, same as that "music" young people play that all sounds the same and there's never a tune you can whistle.

Many of those GB are used for installation and will be removed or compacted after it's installed.

wilberwind #9 Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:37 PM

Private

• Player
  • 25120 battles

It's about 33Gb now after I remembered to delete the Updates folder content.

kejmo #10 Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29167 battles

Oh, no one mentioned it...If you remember the old arty being *edited*...you will see the true meaning of *edited* when you log in and what reworked arty has become.

Even WG banned word *edited* on forums. 

But you're probably used that they're banning everything that is correct, true and "against" their dictator decicions.

Edited by Daxeno, 22 April 2018 - 01:09 PM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks.

HeidenSieker #11 Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:51 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View Postwilberwind, on 22 April 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

I'm now downloading the game and my garage is probably more or less different since my last battle in October 2015 but apart from that has there been any game changing updates I should know about?

I had a few mods back in the day, still necessary?

The maps are a bit different. SPG changes as above. Re-usable consumables. Matchmaker changes. Odds and ends. I don't use any mods but YMMV.

Worth a look:

https://worldoftanks...ease_notes_918/

https://worldoftanks...lease-notes-10/

wilberwind #12 Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 25120 battles
Full screen & native yet gamma not available?

Balc0ra #13 Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:21 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66636 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postwilberwind, on 22 April 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

Full screen & native yet gamma not available?

Yeah it's a bit off that one. Even more so if you use Nvida DSR. Just select the different resolution options, no need to apply it and go down the list. The gamma button will light up when it shows if it's available for that res setting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users