Arty Aiming Circle

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

TheJumpMaster #1 Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:32 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 48311 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Since I've doing the SPG missions for the Object 260, an interest in becoming a better arty player has sprouted. Aiming is easy enough when the aiming circle is perfectly round. Problems arise when I have an uneven/ oblong aiming circle. Does anyone have any tips or know of useful tutorials?

Vule777 #2 Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:02 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25054 battles
  • [BZVZ] BZVZ

Can you take SS?

fwhaatpiraat #3 Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 49642 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

If the aiming circle is an ellipse, the target is rather close to you or standing on a slope (behind the ridge from your point of view). The first case is rather straightforward I suppose, just aim in front of the target (which is at 100 meters or so moving towards you I suppose) and pray. When the enemy is on a ridge, like on the middle of prokhorovka for example, hitting is quite hard. If you miss the target by a tiny bit, the shell lands maybe 20 meters behind the target. The shell can also hit the ridge in front of the enemy, usually resulting in 0 damage.

How to deal with this? You have to more careful. If you are shooting at targets at a distance of 800 meters (Westfield 'heavy corner' for example. It's crowded there, but the distance is too large to hit consistently), I would be very careful hitting the trigger. The shell travel time and rng will make it hard to hit. Maybe you can try aiming for someone else since hitting the target is hard. It's hard but not impossible and you can increase your chances by observing the target and knowing stuff like the enemy reload time and if he can have a shot or not(gun depression). The 1-2 seconds before a tank shoots and the 1-2 seconds after it shot are predictable and creates an opportunity. Let's say you are facing a t110e5 on Westfield, he has a reload of circa 8 seconds. This means that in the first seconds after he shot and moved back, he will try to dodge artillery. Just ignore the movement, it will be quite random and hard to predict. In the 1-2 seconds before he shoots however (so count the reload time), the tank has its turret locked and he starts moving forward, he aims and then shoots. After he shoots he immediately moves backwards. You need to shoot when the enemy tank moved towards his shooting position(he moves forwards for like 5-10m and then stands still for some moment), aim at his back if he is angled towards you. After you shot, he will shoot and move backwards, ideally now your shell lands in the side of the enemy tank.

Recognizing the pattern of enemies sitting still for a short moment and move backwards after they shot helped me a lot hitting enemy targets, also at really long ranges. The slopes make it harder for arty, so in a regular tank you need to make use of this as well. :)

http://wotreplays.eu...e/4292945#stats Maybe this replay gives some idea how to aim, position and prioritize targets. :trollface:

Edited by fwhaatpiraat, 22 April 2018 - 05:56 PM.

Strappster #4 Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:46 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25711 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

The shape of the aiming circle is dictated by the shell arc. French tend to be long and thin because they have a flatter arc; British tend to be rounder because they have a high arc. It's useful to know what you're dealing with as some will play differently - French SPGs benefit from being up high because they often have issues clearing buildings and rocks, for example. All circles will be closer to circular at the longest range as that's when the shell is dropping almost straight down after losing its horizontal momentum.

The longer you let the aim settle, the better. One reason I play mostly French arty now is that they're more accurate but even they suffer from the same thing.

Try to park your SPG as level as possible. Having the vehicle sitting at an angle can throw your shot off enough to miss. It's possible to compensate for this by aiming off the target but generally not advisable because you'll want to move between shots so it's hard to tell if you need to compensate more or less.

Closer is better; the further away you are, the more likely you are to miss. Another reason to pick French arty as they have the mobility to stay with other tanks.

Always move after firing, even if you're in a restricted area such as on Mines. Counter-battery is real and sitting in the same place is asking your opponent to target you. I'm usually moving before my shot has landed.

Move a lot more. Too many players think finding a spot behind spawn and staying there all battle is the only way to play arty and they're absolutely wrong. Moving around gives you different angles of attack and you can punish those campers who thought they were safe. If your team wins a flank, drive up it. If your team is held, look to where you can go to best provide support.

You're not going to get many penning shots so look for where you can be most effective. If there's a bunch of heavies holding up your team on a corner, stunning a few of them with a nearby splash can be more useful than holding your shot while you wait for a paper TD covering a flank your team has ignored to be spotted.

Splash for stun and to take off tracks, both give you an assist bonus for damage caused by your team.

Use the alternate view ('G' by default) to check for shots on a target that's below cover. Top-down is generally best but when a target is under cover you'll be aiming at the cover rather than beneath it. Switching views has given me shots through the arch on Glacier and into the railway sheds on Himmelsdorf among others.

Tell your team what you're doing. You don't need to spam your reload after every shot but if you're trying to support someone who's under pressure, ping the ground nearby to let them know you're aiming or how long you have left to reload.

Keep your gun firing. In higher tier SPGs you have a long reload and it's possible to fire, relocate, find another target and be fully aimed before you've finished reloading. The more shells you put out, the more likely you are to have an impact.

It's possible to drop shells on to engine decks and turret roofs without being at maximum range. Your aiming line goes red when the shell path is blocked by something. If you move your aim point beyond the target on to the ground behind it so that the green line ends on the target and it's red until the aim point, the shell is more likely to hit the top of your target. This is a risky strategy, however, as it's easy to overshoot with only a minor variation off your aiming line. Useful for those super-heavies that can shrug off hits.

fwhaatpiraat #5 Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 49642 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostStrappster, on 22 April 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

The shape of the aiming circle is dictated by the shell arc. French tend to be long and thin because they have a flatter arc; British tend to be rounder because they have a high arc. It's useful to know what you're dealing with as some will play differently - French SPGs benefit from being up high because they often have issues clearing buildings and rocks, for example. All circles will be closer to circular at the longest range as that's when the shell is dropping almost straight down after losing its horizontal momentum.

The longer you let the aim settle, the better. One reason I play mostly French arty now is that they're more accurate but even they suffer from the same thing.

Try to park your SPG as level as possible. Having the vehicle sitting at an angle can throw your shot off enough to miss. It's possible to compensate for this by aiming off the target but generally not advisable because you'll want to move between shots so it's hard to tell if you need to compensate more or less. If possible, try to park at an elevated/high spot.

Closer is better; the further away you are, the more likely you are to miss. Another reason to pick French arty as they have the mobility to stay with other tanks. Distance is an important factor indeed. Staying too long at the far corner results in lower dmg output.

Always move after firing, even if you're in a restricted area such as on Mines. Counter-battery is real and sitting in the same place is asking your opponent to target you. I'm usually moving before my shot has landed. Indeed, this should be eay.

Move a lot more. Too many players think finding a spot behind spawn and staying there all battle is the only way to play arty and they're absolutely wrong. Moving around gives you different angles of attack and you can punish those campers who thought they were safe. If your team wins a flank, drive up it. If your team is held, look to where you can go to best provide support. +1

You're not going to get many penning shots so look for where you can be most effective. If there's a bunch of heavies holding up your team on a corner, stunning a few of them with a nearby splash can be more useful than holding your shot while you wait for a paper TD covering a flank your team has ignored to be spotted.

Splash for stun and to take off tracks, both give you an assist bonus for damage caused by your team.

Use the alternate view ('G' by default) to check for shots on a target that's below cover. Top-down is generally best but when a target is under cover you'll be aiming at the cover rather than beneath it. Switching views has given me shots through the arch on Glacier and into the railway sheds on Himmelsdorf among others.

Tell your team what you're doing. You don't need to spam your reload after every shot but if you're trying to support someone who's under pressure, ping the ground nearby to let them know you're aiming or how long you have left to reload. As a light tank, not much things are more annoying than an allied arty being radio silent the entire game.

Keep your gun firing. In higher tier SPGs you have a long reload and it's possible to fire, relocate, find another target and be fully aimed before you've finished reloading. The more shells you put out, the more likely you are to have an impact.

It's possible to drop shells on to engine decks and turret roofs without being at maximum range. Your aiming line goes red when the shell path is blocked by something. If you move your aim point beyond the target on to the ground behind it so that the green line ends on the target and it's red until the aim point, the shell is more likely to hit the top of your target. This is a risky strategy, however, as it's easy to overshoot with only a minor variation off your aiming line. Useful for those super-heavies that can shrug off hits.

Good points. I added some into the quote.

TheJumpMaster #6 Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 48311 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Thanks for the tips :)

Condono #7 Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:33 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10479 battles
  • [13KIL] 13KIL
Made same post about a month ago... was told that I am ga* and told me to uninstall wot.*​exaggeration*

Edited by Condono, 22 April 2018 - 06:34 PM.

pudelikael #8 Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20775 battles
T10 artys all pointless, only batchat arty is good. 

TheJumpMaster #9 Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 48311 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postpudelikael, on 22 April 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

The ConquerorGC was good for one mission, I want the B-C 155 58 for SPG-15

NUKLEAR_SLUG #10 Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

Major

• Player
  • 30589 battles

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 22 April 2018 - 04:32 PM, said:

Since I've doing the SPG missions for the Object 260, an interest in becoming a better arty player has sprouted. Aiming is easy enough when the aiming circle is perfectly round. Problems arise when I have an uneven/ oblong aiming circle. Does anyone have any tips or know of useful tutorials?

Aim slightly behind the tank and you'll land it on his roof.

PervyPastryPuffer #11 Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:13 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 31645 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View Postpudelikael, on 22 April 2018 - 06:40 PM, said:

I beg to differ, I completed SPG-15 with the T92. over 10k combined damage/assist/stun on Nebelburg, before 1.0

PhooBar #12 Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:47 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19031 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 23 April 2018 - 03:07 PM, said:

Aim slightly behind the tank and <if you're lucky> you'll land it on his roof.

Sorry, needed fixing.

Temid23 #13 Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 54185 battles
  • [G-STR] G-STR

Practice parking next to deep water places on map and also some drowning this are probably two the most important aspects of arty "gameplay" :great:

Also try to practice shooting without aiming / snap shots seems to be idiotically effective for reasons (damn serious about that :()

Also also Dear WG give arty siege mode mechanic ffs... there is a reason why nearly all of SPG got some kind of external "dig in for stability" equipment modeled in game.

Homer_J #14 Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:08 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29757 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

If you have a long thin aim circle then put your aim point just at the other side of the tank you want to hit for best chance of getting a broadside.  Unless they are on a hill sloping away from you in which case aiming short seems to give better results.

When you have a fast scout you want to punish for camping at 60kph fire when it is running along the length of your elipse.

Spurtung #15 Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:29 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 66183 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

Whenever you press whatever key you have for that, the reason why the reticle is the way it is will become obvious.

pecopad2 #16 Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:38 AM

Private

• Player
  • 918 battles
  • [UGN] UGN

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 23 April 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

The ConquerorGC was good for one mission, I want the B-C 155 58 for SPG-15

You cant do SPG 15 with bat chat, not for the t55a nor obj...

Go to wot replays and see max damage games...

Wintermute_1 #17 Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:02 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44904 battles
In a nutshell: If it's Oblong place it slightly behind the target.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users