Bottom Tier Win Rate - Luck Or Skill?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:12 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 24220 battles

Ok so I play mostly tier6 and tier7 these days because I like the unpredictable gameplay, the variety of tanks to face, the tanks I play and it doesn't cripple my credits to run most of the time. Thing is though, as you guys know, this comes with a big penalty and playing anything less than tier9 makes us bottom tier for just about every battle and so I wonder just how much of a factor we can be as bottom tier players in terms of our win rates?

Here's the thing about it that must be kept in mind though, I have been floating around 60% win rate for ages, fine but lets explore that, was I really anything to do with that win rate? for a couple of battles here and there, I can say sure, but generally... can being bottom tier ever be constantly around 60% win rate or are we just lucky if we are? Because 3 days ago I played about 30 battles same as the last few days, I think no differently, about the same standard as normal but I flopped out with a 43% win rate and a trashy WN8 simply because my higher tier teammates melted so fast and there was not much time to even get many shots or else spotted targets were simply ignored etc etc fine. Point being, I was totally at the mercy of how well or bad the higher tier teammates performed.

So if I/we are to say it was bad luck that day then we must also consider are we lucky for other days in which the win rate is good? I could not win with bad teams therefore this must mean I can only win with good teams. Are we pretty much at the mercy of the team we get drawn? If we play as bottom tier are we totally reliant on how well or higher tier teammates perform or is this untrue? Just how much of a factor can a bottom tier player be to have 60% win rate most the time? Is this lucky? Is it skill?

Denisian #2 Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:25 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7230 battles
  • [VIVUS] VIVUS
The answer is very simple. When I win it's skill, when I lose it's luck.

bloodrain_200 #3 Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:02 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1643 battles
it’s neither lmao you can’t do crapwhen all your higher tiered players die like morons. You just gave to hope the enemy team throw the match and also have high tiered idiots who die faster

TankkiPoju #4 Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:29 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21017 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

Tier 7 MM seems to me pretty alright. Plenty of top tier games.

Tier 6 is worse and tier 8 the worst.

undutchable80 #5 Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:34 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 8267 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I think for an average player its more dependent on the team since we ( I do humbly consider myself average ;)) dont have the skills, situational awareness, (map/tank/armour/pen) knowledge and experience to carry a team consistently. I do generally carry my weight in a battle, but I am nowhere near enough to be able to carry others who fail in that aspect. So if I am bottom tier on a team (which I mostly am; only have 1 Tier 9 so far) and my top / mid tiers die fast, then there is not much I can do to influence the outcome, which would be "bad luck". So, I think you underestimate your own skill Tungsten, since you say you maintain a ~60% WR average. Even Unicums would find it difficult to carry games when their teammates die faster than their tank's DPM can keep up with methinks.

spuriousmonkey #6 Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:41 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 44728 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG
And if you play something like the amx 13 57 you simply cannot kill them all and do all the damage. You will run out of ammo before that happens. Some team cooperation/skill is then needed.

tumppi776 #7 Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:10 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 43965 battles
  • [DPG-I] DPG-I

View Postspuriousmonkey, on 23 April 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

And if you play something like the amx 13 57 you simply cannot kill them all and do all the damage. You will run out of ammo before that happens. Some team cooperation/skill is then needed.

BUT if you had the ammo - you COULD kill them all. And thats about the only tank where that statement is true :trollface:

____

Just had my best game ever - in Paris - no less:

AMX 13 57
WON
  1800 XP base    
4,061 DMG
1,856 ASST
6 KILLS

94,165 cr

And even had a couple of rounds left.. 46 hits 41 pens 53 fired (56 total ammo)

Edited by tumppi776, 23 April 2018 - 09:14 AM.

clixor #8 Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:24 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51975 battles

bottom/mid tier in 3/5/7 you ARE more dependent on your toptiers performing. So yes, you are the mercy of lady luck. But ofcourse this doens't mean you can't have an impact. 

If you do better than you counterpart on the enemy team for instance (which isn't that hard as a lot of bottom tiers yolo).

Then it also matter which class you play.. A bottom tier light might even be better than a toptier light because as toptier you just need to do dmg. And lights a prone to being rushed/yolood which can ruin the battle for them.

TD's as well, if you must camp it's better for the team that a bottom tier td camps, than a toptier td which isn't involved in the frontline fight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users