Collector's Gem of the Week: FV201 (A45)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:00 AM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
Check out the British beast that has made it to the Collector´s Gem status this week!

The full text of the news item

Call_me_BamBam #2 Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:11 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15302 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Edited

Edited by Asklepi0s, 24 April 2018 - 08:45 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to irrelevant remarks

Homer_J #3 Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:16 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27506 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Let the rejoicing and whining begin.

WoT_RU_Doing #4 Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:36 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 42069 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-
Well I know what many people say about this tank, but I've wanted to have one in my collection for ages, so I'm happy to have added it now. The first battle wasn't much fun though, as I got torn to bits by a Prog 46, a Tortoise and an IS-M. Maybe time for a buff?

Homer_J #5 Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:40 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27506 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostReported_Noob, on 24 April 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

Well I know what many people say about this tank, but I've wanted to have one in my collection for ages, so I'm happy to have added it now. The first battle wasn't much fun though, as I got torn to bits by a Prog 46, a Tortoise and an IS-M. Maybe time for a buff?

Your tier VII got torn to bits by a tier XI and two tier VIII tanks?  I don't think that's evidence for a buff really, I think that's evidence for not going solo against three higher tier tanks.

uglycousin #6 Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:56 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 43179 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

Have this gem. Erm ... not that great to be honest. It gathers dust in my garage. WG should tweak it a bit in order to make it fun to play again.

View PostReported_Noob, on 24 April 2018 - 07:36 AM, said:

It is a tier 7 heavy ... of course it will be raped by tier 8s and tier 9s. As it should be.

magkiln #7 Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:54 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22153 battles
  • [EKKE] EKKE

View PostReported_Noob, on 24 April 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

This was the British heavy tank that was most in need of a buff and it was the one that was left behind when they fixed the Caernarvon. It is  ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.

It's a heavy tank only in the sense that it's slow. It doesn't have heavy tank armour, not even on the turret, which can be easily penned even from the front (above the gun mantlet it's only about 55 mm thick. As a result, it cannot even act as a ridgeline sniper. It's only defense is that it's so rare that most people don't know which part of the turret to shoot. The hull armour is so thin, that even HE shells will actually penetrate and do full damage, making it every artillery player's dream target.

It might still be playable, if it had a gun with massive alpha damage. But, no, it's got a 17 pounder, which relies on DPM, but you cannot actually use that. Now, the Black Prince gets the same gun, but the BP has the armour to stand up to return fire (at least when it's top tier). The A45 doesn't, nor can it absorb damage like the TOG. So, all you can do is pop up, do a tiny amount of damage, then withdraw again and wait for another opportunity. of course, that's if you get lucky. The 17 pounder's penetration is not particularly good at tier 7, so make sure to bring plenty of gold ammo, and if the enemy gets a return shot off, they're bound to do more damage to you then you did to them.

This tank cannot:

• Trade shots, because you lack the alpha damage
  • Out-DPM the enemy, because you don't have the armour or hitpoints to take the hits
  • Flank, because you lack the mobility
  • Hide, because you are too big
  • Work ridge lines, because your turret front can be penned above the gun mantel by every gun it encounters
  • Sidescrape, again, the turret front is so weak that you'll get ripped apart.

The only thing it's good for it trailing other tanks and hoping to get a few shots in.

The only possible reason to buy this tank is to use it as a crewtrainer for British heavies, but even then, I'd much rather play a TOG, which can at least be made to work under the right circumstances. For the A45, I still haven't figured out what the right circumstances could possible be.

Edited by magkiln, 25 April 2018 - 02:27 AM.

Midnightsun1912 #8 Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:25 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 21337 battles

View Postmagkiln, on 24 April 2018 - 06:54 AM, said:

This was the British heavy tank that was most in need of a buff and it was the one that was left behind when they fixed the Caernarvon. It is  ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.

It's a heavy tank only in the sense that it's slow. It doesn't have heavy tank armour, not even on the turret, which can be easily penned even from the front (above the gun mantlet it's only about 55 mm thick. As a result, it cannot even act as a ridgeline sniper. It's only defense is that it's so rare that most people don't know which part of the turret to shoot. The hull armour is so thin, that even HE shells will actually penetrate and do full damage, making it every artillery players dream target.

It might still be playable, if it had a gun with massive alpha damage. But, no, it's got a 17 pounder, which relies on DPM, but you cannot actually use that. Now, the Black Prince gets the same gun, but the BP has the armour to stand up to return fire (at least when it's top tier). The A45 doesn't, nor can it absorb damage like the TOG. So, all you can do is pop up, do a tiny amount of damage, then withdraw again and wait for another opportunity. of course, that's if you get lucky. The 17 pounder's penetration is not particularly good at tier 7, so make sure to bring plenty of gold ammo and if the enemy gets a return shot off, they're bound to do more damage to you, then you did to them.

This tank cannot:

• Trade shots, because you lack the alpha damage
  • Out-DPM the enemy, because you don't have the armour or hitpoints to take the hits
  • Flank, because you lack the mobility
  • Hide, because you are too big
  • Work ridge lines, because your turret front can be penned above the gun mantel by every gun it encounters
  • Sidescrape, again, the turret front is so weak that you'll get ripped apart.

The only thing it's good for it trailing other tanks and hoping to get a few shots in.

The only possible reason to buy this tank is to use it as a crewtrainer for British heavies, but even then, I'd much rather play a TOG, which can at least be made to work under the right circumstances. For the A45, I still haven't figured out what the right circumstances could possible be.

To the moderators can you please ask if there is anything in line for this tank  to be done? It is the worst  premium . I feel really really bad about ever buying this tank . Let it put this way. To announce and sell this tank again is for me a borderline scam. So bad I think this tank is.

KLguns #9 Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:39 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 46520 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

LOL, you call this a Gem?????

Put it up for 5€ and I could buy it.

Edited by KLguns, 24 April 2018 - 08:52 AM.

Burty61 #10 Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:51 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12270 battles

Was fun but mediocre when released, pretty poor now. TOG trains crews better and makes more credits. You could drop it's Hit points to 900 and put it at Tier 6 and it would be good but not OP.

It is listed as a Collectors gem so that is fair enough. If your not a collector then stay clear of this one.

Call_me_BamBam #11 Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15302 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

seriously wg? censorship again????? 

Gem of the Week it will be if u fix MM

tnx for warning!!!

SupernaturalSquid #12 Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:12 AM

Private

• Player
  • 22980 battles
  • [EAS-2] EAS-2

£16.89 for this "Turd"

I have had this tank for a long time, its complete rubbish, desperately in need of some buff love.

Don't buy it until it gets buffed. I don't know why they would sell this tank in its current state and call it a "gem".

Save your cash.

sir_alex_ice #13 Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 36555 battles
  • [TK-BR] TK-BR

Unfortunately this is one of the worst British premium tanks:

- at tier 7 has the basically the same gun as the TOG II but with worse dispersion, abysmal alpha, abysmal pen

- mobility and agility are very bad while armor is very poor and easy to pen

- view range is bad, 380m

- aim time is bad, 2.2s

All these while having regular mm and meeting often tier 9s, not to mention some of the OP tier 8s like the Defender, Chrysler, AMX M4 49.

You can buy it, but the gameplay will be quite unsatisfactory.

options71 #14 Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:43 AM

Private

• Player
  • 48834 battles
  • [FILO] FILO
Collecting  dust.... have to agree to the above stated... needs love...  save your cash for the progretto

SlyMeerkat #15 Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:46 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15584 battles
  • [FILO] FILO
Got it

Ubervold #16 Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:54 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20719 battles

You have to fix this tank, seriously, not even pref matchmaking would make it enjoyable as it is now.

It is so useless it´s not even funny. Selling it is more like robbery than anything else.

Marppuli #17 Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 18278 battles
  • [MOTUS] MOTUS

It is really nice that rarer tanks like this keep popping up on the collector's gem of the week, but...

For some unimaginable reason, the FV201 (A45)'s centurion model turret never got the same buff treatment as the Strv 81, Centurion 1, Centurion 7/1 and Caernarvon, and I think it has the least accurate version of the 17pdr gun out of all the tanks in the game, and many other flaws like listed above. I was really excited when I got this tank earlier, but soon realized it just doesn't have a place on the battlefield unless it gets a buff to at least something.

So far only thing it is collecting is dust...

Simona2k #18 Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:18 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 1464 battles
  • [GGLT] GGLT
dont have

HelpIamClaustrophobic #19 Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:30 AM

Private

• Player
  • 20283 battles

This beast???? HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

It is slow, no armour, poor alpha. This tank didn't get any love with the British boost.

It is mediocre in its tier and total disaster in any higher tier.

So if you want it for your collection fine. I bought it for that when it was in a 1 day sale window (and regretting it). But don't expect a beast as Wargaming advertises it. It is a lie. Just as their claim that +2/-2 matchmaking is fun.

NitroDeluxe #20 Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:30 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27602 battles
Not got it and it's staying that way until it's had decent buffs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users