Jump to content


Why can't WE have a FPP-faq with allowed mods?

mods faq

  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: FPP-FAQ (30 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Should something similar be published and pinned on the EU-forum?

  1. This should have been done from day one of the FPP (12 votes [36.36%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 36.36%

  2. Not really necessary, most can read the FPP and figure out if a certain mod is OK or not. (5 votes [15.15%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 15.15%

  3. I hate mods, and they should be banned from the game regardless. (16 votes [48.48%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 48.48%

Vote Hide poll

BP_OMowe #1 Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:44 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 24764 battles
  • 2,047
  • [-GY-] -GY-
  • Member since:
    01-08-2013

Just have a look at this link:
http://forum.worldof...ay-policy-faqs/

 

A clear and comprehensible list of things allowed, and which of them that are under scrutiny for a possible change of status.

As all servers have the same rules since the Fair Play Policy (FPP) came, this list if of course applicable to the EU-server as well, but why can we not have such a list published and maintained here on these forums?


Edited by BP_OMowe, 26 April 2018 - 08:33 PM.


CircleOfSorrow #2 Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:59 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 28819 battles
  • 1,986
  • Member since:
    12-26-2012
Yes, what this forum really needs is information for mod users being permanently in place of new discussion threads in order to be useful on the one occasion that a fraction of the fraction of the population that uses mods reads the information.

Homer_J #3 Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:02 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • 29,000
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010
Top poll by the way.

Strappster #4 Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:04 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 23695 battles
  • 8,926
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-20-2015
What's wrong with only downloading mods from the WG portal at wgmods.net? The portal that they created because of the confusion over what mods are allowed or not - if it's not on there, there's a chance that something in the pack might be flagged. I stopped using my previous auto-equip mod because it's not on there and there's an alternative that is - OldSkool's Auto Equip.

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #5 Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:23 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 0 battles
  • 6,815
  • Member since:
    07-10-2018

View PostBP_OMowe, on 26 April 2018 - 12:44 AM, said:

Just have a look at this link:
http://forum.worldof...ay-policy-faqs/

 

A clear and comprehensible list of things allowed, and which of them that are under scrutiny for a possible change of status.

As all servers have the same rules since the Fair Play Policy (FPP) came, this list if of course applicable to the EU-server as well, but why can we not have such a list published and maintained here on these forums?

 

 

 

...Because WG doesn't flipping care about CORRECT INFORMATION or FAREPLAY

 

Worst gaming company considering "rules", "policies" and "information" (in general) for over 7 years now.

Gud show WG. Keep it up

 

Adopted "Reichs propaganda and disinformation" modus operandi in a successful way

 

 

FWIW The announcement for events in the coming month (may 2018) is made up so vaguely, they can't make a mistake with that setup.


Edited by Spek_en_Bonen, 26 April 2018 - 08:32 AM.


Slyspy #6 Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 14193 battles
  • 16,536
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-07-2011
As mentioned, they have an official mod portal which contains vetted mods and mods pack. Use that. If you creating a mod then submit it to WG and see if they OK it. If it isn't from the official site then don't use it. Simple. 

jabster #7 Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:23 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12532 battles
  • 22,765
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010
As Strapster and Slyspy have already said what’s wrong with just using the portal as WG have said, admittedly they didn’t seem to communicate it very well, that if it’s on the portal it’s ok.

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #8 Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:27 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 0 battles
  • 6,815
  • Member since:
    07-10-2018

View Postjabster, on 26 April 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

As Strapster and Slyspy have already said what’s wrong with just using the portal as WG have said, admittedly they didn’t seem to communicate it very well, that if it’s on the portal it’s ok.

 

They never seem to communicate very well.   :popcorn:

Balc0ra #9 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:32 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 64272 battles
  • 15,370
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

That topic was first made when the first mod discussions started to appear. As then the issue was that none of the servers had common guide lines for what was allowed or not. And they each had to post one to make things clear what they allowed. As white tank skins was allowed on NA, but not on EU etc.

 

NA made one where their admins left it open and responded to player confusions. EU did the same... but after Ectar made the first post to show what they did allow.. They never came back to it to respond to anything to clear up confusions ppl had. As EU's list made it seem XVM was banned even. Nor did they pin it. So it died out quickly as EU found out fast they did not care.

 

 

 

 



BP_OMowe #10 Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:17 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 24764 battles
  • 2,047
  • [-GY-] -GY-
  • Member since:
    01-08-2013

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 26 April 2018 - 12:59 AM, said:

Yes, what this forum really needs is information for mod users being permanently in place of new discussion threads in order to be useful on the one occasion that a fraction of the fraction of the population that uses mods reads the information.

You realise I am talking about one (1) pinned thread, not replacing the forum, right?

In fairness, it could be pinned in the Newcommer- or Mod section instead, the important thing least for me is that such a list exists on the EU-server, and that it is maintained by Wg-staff.

 

View PostStrappster, on 26 April 2018 - 01:04 AM, said:

What's wrong with only downloading mods from the WG portal at wgmods.net? The portal that they created because of the confusion over what mods are allowed or not - if it's not on there, there's a chance that something in the pack might be flagged. I stopped using my previous auto-equip mod because it's not on there and there's an alternative that is - OldSkool's Auto Equip.

View PostSlyspy, on 26 April 2018 - 08:44 AM, said:

As mentioned, they have an official mod portal which contains vetted mods and mods pack. Use that. If you creating a mod then submit it to WG and see if they OK it. If it isn't from the official site then don't use it. Simple.

View Postjabster, on 26 April 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

As Strapster and Slyspy have already said what’s wrong with just using the portal as WG have said, admittedly they didn’t seem to communicate it very well, that if it’s on the portal it’s ok.

 

For instance, I think the mod-creators deserves every nickel and dime they get through having traffic on their servers so I rather download directly from the source.

Furthermore, least the EU-server doesn't do a very good job in making the portal visible, neither for creators nor users.

 

View PostBalc0ra, on 26 April 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:

That topic was first made when the first mod discussions started to appear. As then the issue was that none of the servers had common guide lines for what was allowed or not. And they each had to post one to make things clear what they allowed. As white tank skins was allowed on NA, but not on EU etc.

 

Which topic? To have Wg EU communicate what is acceptable and not?

Very true, but the list I presented originated with the FPP, which is in effect on all servers. I just find it ridiculous to have to go to the Asian server to find out what applies to EU when it comes to rulings .



Strappster #11 Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:23 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 23695 battles
  • 8,926
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-20-2015

View PostBP_OMowe, on 03 May 2018 - 09:17 PM, said:

For instance, I think the mod-creators deserves every nickel and dime they get through having traffic on their servers so I rather download directly from the source.

 

That's terribly noble of you but I'm not going to risk my game account being locked because I might be depriving someone of the fraction of a cent they'd not earn from my browsing their site because of AdBlock.

 

WG have provided a resource and while they could maybe do more to promote it, considering they've announced it on here, on the news page, on all the blog sites and it's been referred to by streamers, players should take on at least some of the responsibility for what mods they install.



Spurtung #12 Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:36 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 61571 battles
  • 5,900
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View PostBP_OMowe, on 03 May 2018 - 11:17 PM, said:

Furthermore, least the EU-server doesn't do a very good job in making the portal visible, neither for creators nor users.

 

*click*

 

https://worldoftanks.eu/

 

*scroll*

 

 

Yeah, they're pretty terrible at that, having it permanently visible on the main portal of the game.



Spurtung #13 Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:38 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 61571 battles
  • 5,900
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View PostSlyspy, on 26 April 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

As mentioned, they have an official mod portal which contains vetted mods and mods pack. Use that. If you creating a mod then submit it to WG and see if they OK it. If it isn't from the official site then don't use it. Simple. 

 

Common sense feels like a super power these days.

BP_OMowe #14 Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:45 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 24764 battles
  • 2,047
  • [-GY-] -GY-
  • Member since:
    01-08-2013

View PostStrappster, on 03 May 2018 - 10:23 PM, said:

That's terribly noble of you but I'm not going to risk my game account being locked because I might be depriving someone of the fraction of a cent they'd not earn from my browsing their site because of AdBlock.

 

WG have provided a resource and while they could maybe do more to promote it, considering they've announced it on here, on the news page, on all the blog sites and it's been referred to by streamers, players should take on at least some of the responsibility for what mods they install.

 

What risks you are willing to take or not has very little to do with the topic, especially since Wg as is already reserves the right to close any account for any reason or no reason at all.

There should simply be no need to go through the whole mod-portal to find the answer if a mod is allowed or not, especially not for vanilla-players who wonders if someone else is cheating.

 

View PostSpurtung, on 04 May 2018 - 02:36 AM, said:

*click*

 

https://worldoftanks.eu/

 

*scroll*

Spoiler

Yeah, they're pretty terrible at that, having it permanently visible on the main portal of the game.

 

Very good, now find it without going to the bottom of the page...  For instance, through the menus at top of the page. You didn't manage to do that? Guess that is the reason for your comment below:

View PostSpurtung, on 04 May 2018 - 02:38 AM, said:

Common sense feels like a super power these days.

 



Spurtung #15 Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:01 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 61571 battles
  • 5,900
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View PostBP_OMowe, on 04 May 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

Very good, now find it without going to the bottom of the page...  For instance, through the menus at top of the page. You didn't manage to do that?

Are you for real?

 

2 notes about the awesomeness of your drivel:

- I say that very same thing about the FPP and you link me some forum thread lost in it. To you that seems to be a valid location, while me showing you something of the bloody main page isn't. Funny.

- What does it matter where in the main page it is? It's there, no need to follow any links or menus. Would it be better if the whole page was smaller so it could all fit in the screen without scrolling? If I told you to get a bigger screen is that a valid reply? Because what you say is valid for everyone: "I want to see the videos on top" "I prefer to have 'refer a friend' always visible". You're arguing on the location of things, is that the best argument you can produce?



Strappster #16 Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:47 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 23695 battles
  • 8,926
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-20-2015

View PostBP_OMowe, on 04 May 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

What risks you are willing to take or not has very little to do with the topic ...

 

Right ... the risk of downloading mods from an unofficial website is not relevant to the subject of downloading mods from an unofficial website. Thanks for clearing that up. 

 

View PostBP_OMowe, on 04 May 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

There should simply be no need to go through the whole mod-portal to find the answer if a mod is allowed or not, especially not for vanilla-players who wonders if someone else is cheating.

 

I don't care. By your rules, what you need to do or not isn't relevant. That's right, isn't it? :unsure:

 

View PostBP_OMowe, on 04 May 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

Very good, now find it without going to the bottom of the page...  For instance, through the menus at top of the page. You didn't manage to do that? 

 

Yeah, good argument. Being unable to find something by deliberately looking in a place where you know it isn't means that there's something wrong with the example Spurtung provided.

 



Dorander #17 Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:51 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 17854 battles
  • 2,261
  • Member since:
    05-07-2012

The last time I was on these forums was around the time the FPP was just being introduced. The official mod portal did not exist back then, mod legality discussions were more prevalent than they are now, and I remember those discussions being filled with links and citations from sources that weren't on the EU forum and people would have not easily have found if somebody else hadn't linked it to them. Given that situation, there should've been a list on here from day 1, it shouldn't be left to coincidence or somebody's google-fu to find relevant information about the rules. It should be in an obvious, accessible location such as the main site, or barring that, the forum.

 

Now with the mod portal one can rightfully wonder if it needs to be on the forum these days, and yeah, I'd still say so. It is both legal and possible to make a legal mod and not have it on the official mod portal. It may not be the best tactic if you want your mod to be widely used, but it's a valid option.

 

Additionally, as a returning player, I had no idea the mod portal existed. I never visit the WoT website, because I have no reason to, and if I have a reason to go there I'm only on the website for as long as it takes me to click the thing I needed a link to. If I need info on the FPP, I use a direct link to the FPP. If I visit these forums, I use a direct link. I download my modpack directly from the creator's site like I always have, even though it's on the official mod portal. I'd been completely unaware of the official mod portal if someone hadn't pointed it out to me, and if I wanted to know if the mods I used were still legal, I'd look for FPP relevant posts and threads, not check a website I never visit to see if they haven't made an official mod portal that I have no reason to assume exists (because let's face it, it didn't for the first six years).



Spurtung #18 Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:57 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 61571 battles
  • 5,900
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View PostDorander, on 04 May 2018 - 09:51 PM, said:

The last time I was on these forums was around the time the FPP was just being introduced. The official mod portal did not exist back then, mod legality discussions were more prevalent than they are now, and I remember those discussions being filled with links and citations from sources that weren't on the EU forum and people would have not easily have found if somebody else hadn't linked it to them. Given that situation, there should've been a list on here from day 1, it shouldn't be left to coincidence or somebody's google-fu to find relevant information about the rules. It should be in an obvious, accessible location such as the main site, or barring that, the forum.

 

Now with the mod portal one can rightfully wonder if it needs to be on the forum these days, and yeah, I'd still say so. It is both legal and possible to make a legal mod and not have it on the official mod portal. It may not be the best tactic if you want your mod to be widely used, but it's a valid option.

 

Additionally, as a returning player, I had no idea the mod portal existed. I never visit the WoT website, because I have no reason to, and if I have a reason to go there I'm only on the website for as long as it takes me to click the thing I needed a link to. If I need info on the FPP, I use a direct link to the FPP. If I visit these forums, I use a direct link. I download my modpack directly from the creator's site like I always have, even though it's on the official mod portal. I'd been completely unaware of the official mod portal if someone hadn't pointed it out to me, and if I wanted to know if the mods I used were still legal, I'd look for FPP relevant posts and threads, not check a website I never visit to see if they haven't made an official mod portal that I have no reason to assume exists (because let's face it, it didn't for the first six years).

 

When I squeeze it all, what I read is:

I'll keep doing things my way and ignore the news. If I get banned, I'll argue that they didn't send me the rules so it's their fault.



Dorander #19 Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:14 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 17854 battles
  • 2,261
  • Member since:
    05-07-2012

View PostSpurtung, on 04 May 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

 

When I squeeze it all, what I read is:

I'll keep doing things my way and ignore the news. If I get banned, I'll argue that they didn't send me the rules so it's their fault.

 

That isn't actually what I said, so perhaps a bit less prejudiced reading could help.

 

Regarding the actual reaction though, you honestly think that when I return to a game after a year, I first spend time reading the past year's news articles? The point is that the rules should be available in clearly designated locations so if I want to find them, I can find them by looking for the rules, not by employing a crystal ball to discover a mod portal or by browsing through dozens of articles most of which aren't relevant to what's required.

 

For your information, this is the page of the FPP:

 

https://worldoftanks...ir_play_policy/

 

That's where the rules are officially posted about mods and it's obviously every player's duty to know them, so if I go visit the official site for the FPP, that's what I find. At the bottom the page refers to the forum for discussion about mods and the FPP. THIS forum. Specifically it links to an 83 page forum post which was started in Nov 2016 when the FPP was first introduced. So if I am looking for whether or not a mod is legal, that is where the OFFICIAL site takes me. And you think it's too much to ask that a list is actually on the forum the official page links to?

 

Oh and by the way, on that page, there's zero mention of the official mod portal, because the page precedes the mod portal.



BP_OMowe #20 Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:29 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 24764 battles
  • 2,047
  • [-GY-] -GY-
  • Member since:
    01-08-2013

View PostSpurtung, on 04 May 2018 - 07:01 PM, said:

Are you for real?

 

2 notes about the awesomeness of your drivel:

- I say that very same thing about the FPP and you link me some forum thread lost in it. To you that seems to be a valid location, while me showing you something of the bloody main page isn't. Funny.

- What does it matter where in the main page it is? It's there, no need to follow any links or menus. Would it be better if the whole page was smaller so it could all fit in the screen without scrolling? If I told you to get a bigger screen is that a valid reply? Because what you say is valid for everyone: "I want to see the videos on top" "I prefer to have 'refer a friend' always visible". You're arguing on the location of things, is that the best argument you can produce?

 

Quite an interesting question given all perceived stems from a bunch of on- and off states on a server remote from the both of us...which leads to the question of who "I" am, who could be a more or less carefully constructed persona which might or might not contain bits and pieces of the personality of the actual person typing, in turn more pronounced than in everyday life, or suppressed to the point they become undetectable no matter how hard one tries to see them.

As for the rest of your rant, it is all about what priority Wg gives their portal "to end of the confusion". Seeing it comes below the history of Swedish tank building, everyone are free to draw their own conclusions.

 

View PostStrappster, on 04 May 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

Right ... the risk of downloading mods from an unofficial website is not relevant to the subject of downloading mods from an unofficial website. Thanks for clearing that up. 

I don't care. By your rules, what you need to do or not isn't relevant. That's right, isn't it? :unsure:

 

Yeah, good argument. Being unable to find something by deliberately looking in a place where you know it isn't means that there's something wrong with the example Spurtung provided.

 

Do you have a crush on me, Strappster, or is there some other reason you get so confused regarding the subject of having an official and maintained list of what is allowed and not?

That you personally don't trust for instance curseforge, aslain or oldschool is not an argument for that everyone else should be denied a proper list regardless if they are using mods or not.







Also tagged with mods, faq

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users