To all youtubers and streamers, please teach the playerbase more on how to play like a team!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

superfly2000 #1 Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:57 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 77685 battles
  • [SFLY] SFLY
Could you please make a video about how to actually play good? I feel that so much content is being made with focus on how to have a good game, rather then playing "correctly" from a winnings point of view.

There are so many important aspects other then farming damage, sidescraping and being hulldown that can influence the game. Here are just a few examples:

1) Learning how the spotting system works. Realise that all tanks can spot (not only lights) and learn how to do it and in what situation. Learn that you can be shot by tanks that are not spotted, which leads us to the next;

2) Using the minimap and adapt! Don't go alone in a flank. Realise that most maps can still be won even if the team does not do the normal things. Instead YOU should adapt to what the team is doing and also be cautious but then again not overly so. Even "lost flanks" can be held...but must be done so from a position further back, just make sure you have TD support.

3) Know your tank and your tier in the matchmaking. Please realise that if you are a Jagdtiger in a tier 9 game as a top tier tank you are not really a TD but rather an assault tank...or lets say heavy. If you are a Tiger II in a tier 10 game...you could probably take more of a TD role...depending on the amount of heavies in the game. If there aren't any top tier heavies in the game that probably means you can play as a heavy instead.

4) Learn how to play with other, not against them. Lets say 4 heavies reach a corner. Now, if one of the tanks start to sidescrape because he is thinking only of himself he is probably making the other 3 tanks in his team useless and the whole game can be lost. Instead learn how to fireline side by side, trading shots with the enemies. If there is only one enemy or 2-3 enemies of lower tier then you should comminicate with your teammates and attack! This means that someone needs to take a shot for the team.

5) On playing together, you must realise that you are not always alone even if you THINK that you are! In so many cases you should identify in time that your situation is getting dangerous and start pulling back. There could even be tanks standing further back that could snipe support you if you do so. This manuever even has a name. Its called baiting. Again it takes into you not only thinking about yourself but what the team can do as a whole.

Please please please. Make a couple of videos about how to actually play as a team and how to think. There is so little of this on youtube. There is a lot of information in the wiki, but it feels like no one is reading that.

I guess for a video like this to be somewhat effective it should also be translated (or have subtitles) into polish, check, rumanian, french, german and whatnot...but one can only hope....

Edited by superfly2000, 26 April 2018 - 02:01 AM.

Strappster #2 Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:01 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Why don't you make it? You could use it to promote your clan recruitment too; "play like this with like-minded players, join SFLY now, would you like to know more?"

Spoiler

superfly2000 #3 Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:05 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 77685 battles
  • [SFLY] SFLY

My video editing skills are kind of poor and my computer likewise...just encoding a decent size video would probably take like a decenium for me  :P

Also...and perhaps most importantly...I'm not "famous"...so no one would really watch it. I'm taking about the famous guys here.

Naturally I would be glad to help in any way I can. With more examples or perhaps more in detail explanation and whatnot...

Also I really meant it like more of a "general" introduction about how to play as a team.

My clan (and friendlist) is more "hardcore" into teamplay and specifically platooning with full voice communcation. I'm was talking about the really basic things here...like take that sidescraping example there...you'd be amazed how many times that happends in game...and how irritating is it when like 7 tanks don't push just 1 tank because he might have a TD behind him...and OBVIOUS things like that...

But perhaps what I really wanted to say is to the Youtubers to start THINKING about this more. Because focus almost always seem to be on ending up high in the XP/damage-list and not taking any damage...

What really should happen is that the accuracy must be made worse (just like it was like 5 years ago or so). I know most will whine about this but it is imperative to make the game more fluid and making aggressive play being less punished. That could also lead to more oldschool maps and more open maps....but this I can only dream of...

Edited by superfly2000, 26 April 2018 - 02:26 AM.

Tipperty #4 Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:08 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19580 battles
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!

Edited by Tipperty, 26 April 2018 - 02:11 AM.

TheComfyChair #5 Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:27 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7246 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

You could use this classic song as an intro ...showing my age :great:

Strappster #6 Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:35 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postsuperfly2000, on 26 April 2018 - 01:05 AM, said:

Also...and perhaps most importantly...I'm not "famous"...so no one would really watch it. I'm taking about the famous guys here.

Yet. You're not famous yet;)

I agree that it would be great if one of the players with a big audience produced such a video or series of videos. One of them (the biggest one) started a series a while back using the #tankbetter hashtag but gave it up after the first video for reasons I don't recall ever being specified. It struck me as odd at the time and I still don't understand his decision because the feedback seemed to be overwhelmingly positive and the first video has over 15k likes and only 126 dislikes on youtube.

Given the number of players who seem to think side-scraping is a way to park their car rather than position their tank you'd think there'd be a big market for that sort of introductory skills video but maybe Tipperty has hit the nail on the head - you can show the tomatoes videos but you can't make them think. :unsure:

superfly2000 #7 Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:01 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 77685 battles
  • [SFLY] SFLY

Wow, thanks Comfychair, I can't believe I've actually missed one of the songs about Superfly  :B   This is not the Curtis Mayfield songs that I mostly connect with my name but it is also funky indeed!

Strappster, which Youtuber was it?

Zyme #8 Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:00 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1792 battles

lol this will never happen. It's been over 7 years already and people are still stupid af.

There are so many stupid people playing this game.

I just got a draw because my team consists of two camping morons. Instead of capping 2 vs 1 where the last guy was unreachable behind a cliff near the coast (so he couldn't move or do anything), my team let the game become a draw instead of a win.

Also whenever I am bottom tier in 3-5-7 match up I just suicide rush and go to the next game. Screw teamwork when you can't hit anything.

Great game design.

Edited by Zyme, 26 April 2018 - 07:01 AM.

Rati_Festa #9 Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42295 battles

View PostZyme, on 26 April 2018 - 07:00 AM, said:

Also whenever I am bottom tier in 3-5-7 match up I just suicide rush and go to the next game. Screw teamwork when you can't hit anything.

Great game design.

I was feeling mildly sorry for you until that last patagraph. Id consider u more annoying than the people u are venting against.

There are a lot of bad team players on WOT but you hope  that once someone has reached tier 7 they should understand the basics. It quite obvious that isnt true. It would be good if wg introduced some content that autofired in the garage when players reach certain milestones in game. Or perhaps hold a dynamic hall of fame with recorded battles showing people getting steetwalls, spotting medals and pools etc so they could at least aspire to copying better players. 

The introduction to the WOT community is the general chat.... and we all know thats not a good place.

Edited by Rati_Festa, 26 April 2018 - 09:09 AM.

LordMuffin #10 Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:47 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48094 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostTipperty, on 26 April 2018 - 02:08 AM, said:

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!

Why would you lead that horse to water if it isn't thirsty?

Ricky_Rolls #11 Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 66954 battles
2018, there are still ppls believing wot is a team game.

Geno1isme #12 Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42029 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

https://www.youtube..../ZevenNA/videos

Unfortunately he's become pretty inactive on YT at least.

One big issue is that it has become a lot harder to earn decent money on Youtube as Google increased the requirements and their Copyright-System can kill your income easily. So activity in general has switched from YT to Twitch. Live-Streams however are more focused on entertaining, and the content needs to be somewhat predictable.

Edited by Geno1isme, 26 April 2018 - 10:29 AM.

Ze_HOFF_fverhoef #13 Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:34 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 15159 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostZyme, on 26 April 2018 - 06:00 AM, said:

There are so many stupid people playing this game.

Hmm.... indeed, there are many stupid people playing this game...

... now where's the dislike button when you need it :facepalm:

K_A #14 Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:40 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13641 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

If you'd watch streamers you'd know that a quite many of them do explain their decision-making process as the battles unfold. Some more than others, and all in their own way, but still, there is already a lot to learn from watching the streamers we have already.

But what you have to understand is that streaming and youtube is a livelihood for these people, so in the end they need to make content that puts food on their tables. Each streamer has their own personal touches and personalities that they channel through their streams, and that's what brought all the viewers in in the first place and made them donate and sub. So if a particular streamer all of a sudden went complete teacher-mode that could easily alienate the majority of the people who just wanted to tune in to the same kind of stream they fell in love with in the first place.

Edited by K_A, 26 April 2018 - 10:40 AM.

Strappster #15 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postsuperfly2000, on 26 April 2018 - 02:01 AM, said:

Strappster, which Youtuber was it?

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be cryptic, I was hoping to avoid the usual out-pouring of envious angst that mentioning his name on here seems to summon. Ah well, here goes ...

QuickyBaby.

:ohmy:

Ahem. Anyway, moving on, in the spoiler below are the two videos he released, the first a short intro to the series and the second an overview of game settings (which is a good idea, seems that many people aren't sure how to change the basics).

Spoiler

I was watching his stream a couple of weeks after the second video had been released and someone asked when the next in the series would come along and he mumbled something about how he wasn't sure he'd be doing any more and that was that.

Simeon85 #16 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:03 AM

Major

• Player
  • 1097 battles

Game is 1 vs 29 as far as I am concerned (or 3 vs 27), 'teammates' are generally more hindrance than help. 

Firing lines is just a recipe for blocking and team damage, if someone is sidescraping the other should just work around them as that person is going to do more good than 3 idiots all getting in each other's way bleeding HP, good clans with good players that actually practice it still struggle with proper firing lines, expecting randoms to do it is just stupid.

Plus the people that actually need to learn how to play, they don't watch streamers or videos, those people are not going to learn, they don't want to learn, otherwise they would seek out learning tools and would already be better.

The majority of people who watch streams and youtube are already competent, they are trying to pick up skills to become better players, they are not the problem, it's the brainless masses that do the same mistakes over and over and over.  

We don't need people to become better teamplayers, we just need them to become better players full stop, so they are vaguely useful to their teams. Less TDs camping base and useless positions where they can't shoot anything, less heavy tanks going to noob trap positions like the beach on overlord or 1 line on Cliff, less light tanks yoloing into cities for no reason.

Players don't need to work on their team play, they need to work on their basic skills and positioning so they become more useful team mates and allow the better players on their team to do the work, stay in the game, be a threat, don't throw away your HP and tank for no gain, don't camp in a useless position that only becomes relevant when half the team dies. 

Strappster #17 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSimeon85, on 26 April 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

Players don't need to work on their team play ... so they become more useful team mates ... 

Strappster #18 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:10 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
When I've tried streaming I seem to spend most of my time saying things like, "ah, yeah, that was stupid, I shouldn't have done that". :unsure:

OneSock #19 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:23 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34518 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Agreed too many focus on Ace Tanker gameplay which is quite often largely solo. 

Would really like to see some replays showing excellent team play/tactics even if it mean no outstanding individual achievement.

Balc0ra #20 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:24 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 65967 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Some of them do. But it's not content they get views for. So why bother. Jingles most popular content is fail videos. Not learning videos. And QB either shows other players replays, or talk about random stuff over his own replays. As in ace tanker content. As the learning stuff is locked to twitch, as again... no views for that on youtube as no one bothers to look at it, why make it?

View PostGeno1isme, on 26 April 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

https://www.youtube..../ZevenNA/videos

Unfortunately he's become pretty inactive on YT at least.

His last video was vital tho. To show why valley on lakeville is a big bag of fail most times.

Edited by Balc0ra, 26 April 2018 - 11:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users