The worst period in WOT's history?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

IncandescentGerbil #1 Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35666 battles

I wasn't there in the early days, but I will answer my own question with a yes, in my experience. New graphics have already lost their lustre and don't actually look that realistic;  teams are dumber than ever, and even more so with this infernal marathon con job running; WG's determination to appease its most (i.e only) important server by trotting out Russian fantasy tanks from a time that never was shows no sign of abating; artillery's operation and effect is more implausible than ever; new maps are way too few and contain a number of terrain hit box errors; the sound bug continues into its tenth decade with no sign of being fixed; and now the servers are down.

The fact I still play highlights that at its core there is the potential for a great game.

Just a few thoughts while sitting here unable to connect. 

Dundato #2 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:04 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26171 battles
the best more like

Bulldog_Drummond #3 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:05 PM

General

• Player
  • 28522 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

IncandescentGerbil #4 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35666 battles

View PostDundato, on 26 April 2018 - 11:04 PM, said:

the best more like

I respect both your opinion, and the fact you never use more than five words in a comment.

IncandescentGerbil #5 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35666 battles

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 26 April 2018 - 11:05 PM, said:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

There is never a reason to quote Dickens. The English student me loathed that man.

Balc0ra #6 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64443 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Worst? Nah. There have been worse metas then the super heavy one we are in now. MM have even been worse if you will. Not to say all the bad maps we were forced to play for a long time that has since gone. Even the good maps. And I'll take the arty stun over the 14 vs 15 SPG games on assault playing as the only HT we did see before.

Sure the game looks nice now. But like any game, it has it's up's and downs. And IMO it's going up atm. As me personally is enjoying the game more then I have in a long time.

IncandescentGerbil #7 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35666 battles
I am frequently in a minority.
Still can't connect. Was planning to take a few days off anyway. I could get the Cornetto for a fiver, but I just don't want it.

IncandescentGerbil #8 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35666 battles
I am frequently in a minority.
Still can't connect. Was planning to take a few days off anyway. With a bit more effort I could get the Cornetto for a fiver, but I just don't want it.

ValkyrionX #9 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 42494 battles
  • [ORKI] ORKI

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 26 April 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

I wasn't there in the early days, but I will answer my own question with a yes, in my experience. New graphics have already lost their lustre and don't actually look that realistic;  teams are dumber than ever, and even more so with this infernal marathon con job running; WG's determination to appease its most (i.e only) important server by trotting out Russian fantasy tanks from a time that never was shows no sign of abating; artillery's operation and effect is more implausible than ever; new maps are way too few and contain a number of terrain hit box errors; the sound bug continues into its tenth decade with no sign of being fixed; and now the servers are down.

The fact I still play highlights that at its core there is the potential for a great game.

the title of this post is the most apt I've read on this forum.

Yes, this is the worst time for wot.. (like many others after the update 1.0)  I was disgusted and I decided to have a break from the game for a while following what happens .. and sincerely from what we read on the various forums there is nothing good for now ... at least in the last 3 years everything that has done wg = 60% are just crap

Dundato #10 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26171 battles

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 26 April 2018 - 10:06 PM, said:

I respect both your opinion, and the fact you never use more than five words in a comment.

dont need to

Bulldog_Drummond #11 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:16 PM

General

• Player
  • 28522 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 26 April 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

There is never a reason to quote Dickens. The English student me loathed that man.

Eat in the dark the bargain that you purchased in the dusk.

Element6_TheSprout #12 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:28 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29043 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 26 April 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

In this day and age people seem most content simply quoting themselves. Hear me senpai, for I have spoken.

@thread

Servers down is nothing new, I would never expect a game to run for 7+ years without server issues anyway, I do not have unrealistic expectations. Events and marathons keep a number of players around, even if we do not like them ourselves, they feed the queue. And they have been pushing out tanks in other nations too, new french HT line, expansion on the german tech tree, poles coming up and italians around the corner too. One must be wearing blinders if one thinks this game revolves solely around soviet tanks. In number of tanks, the german one still outnumber the soviet one.

And graphics look great btw, not all of us need 60 presents at christmas because we grow weary of what we get (for free) after 5 minutes. By the sound of it, I am a bit surprised why players like OP even stick around anymore, one almost get the feeling they feel tormented.

IncandescentGerbil #13 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35666 battles

View PostElement6_TheSprout, on 26 April 2018 - 11:28 PM, said:

In this day and age people seem most content simply quoting themselves. Hear me senpai, for I have spoken.

@thread

Servers down is nothing new, I would never expect a game to run for 7+ years without server issues anyway, I do not have unrealistic expectations. Events and marathons keep a number of players around, even if we do not like them ourselves, they feed the queue. And they have been pushing out tanks in other nations too, new french HT line, expansion on the german tech tree, poles coming up and italians around the corner too. One must be wearing blinders if one thinks this game revolves solely around soviet tanks. In number of tanks, the german one still outnumber the soviet one.

And graphics look great btw, not all of us need 60 presents at christmas because we grow weary of what we get (for free) after 5 minutes. By the sound of it, I am a bit surprised why players like OP even stick around anymore, one almost get the feeling they feel tormented.

​It's all about opinions isn't it. And as I said in my original comment, which you may or may not have read all the way though; attention spans are shorter these days, and of course the only opinion that matters is your own - it's still a great game underneath. 

Element6_TheSprout #14 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:47 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29043 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 26 April 2018 - 11:32 PM, said:

​It's all about opinions isn't it. And as I said in my original comment, which you may or may not have read all the way though; attention spans are shorter these days, and of course the only opinion that matters is your own - it's still a great game underneath. 

I did read it through, but you are not the only one that feel this way, so the majority of my post was directed at thread and not you specifically, more like thoughts on the matter, like yours. The last part was of course more about you since I mentioned OP.

I enjoy this game immensely, and I'd argue that today the enjoyment is as high as it has ever been before, and one of the reasons for that is that I do not spend much time on my own opinions of what could have been, I take the game for what it is, and how it changes, knowing I can't impact it much anyways. All the crying about SPGs without them ever having gone away over the years have taught me that, even choirs do not manage such substantial changes. I simply find no reason to spend time and energy sulking over the technical issues with the game, when most of the troubles I personally have with the game stem from how entire teams collectively manage to act like muppets. 

It is indeed a great game, and the less I focus on things that people think are off, the better the experience becomes. WoT is not a democracy, it is more like a dictatorship, which most businesses are, so I just go with the flow and enjoy myself.

Ignorance is bliss, seldom do I look at a tank in my garage and think to myself I won't play it because it is UP, bad or whatever.

WoT has never been as good as it is today, bugs included.

Bulldog_Drummond #15 Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:57 PM

General

• Player
  • 28522 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 26 April 2018 - 10:32 PM, said:

attention spans are shorter these days

This is one of the ways in which a Coarse Tanker such as myself can manufacture at least a paltry edge over young persons.

Sitting in a bush or behind a house you can usually rely on their patience to run out after 15 seconds and for them to come out to be shot in the side.

HeidenSieker #16 Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:09 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 26 April 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

I wasn't there in the early days, but I will answer my own question with a yes, in my experience.

1) The number of games hasn't decreased by much since the advent of version 1.0 (to my surprise ) .

2) I think there's more to it than that - psychology is very much in play by WG.

LordMuffin #17 Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:29 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 48080 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
Since I can only recall like last 3 years of WoT. I have no reliable memory from anything gameplay related in WoT prior to that.

I would definitely say that current WoT is the worst by a margin.
The MM is worse than the old +/-2.
The balance is worse. I prefered the pre TD camo nerf more, and everything after above this aswell. And the balance just seems to get worse every patch (now look at that upcomming polish T8 premium).
The maps in 1.0 are in general worse then the maps before. The only good map change brought by 1.0 was removal och Stalingrad, Charkov and Pilsen.

Edited by LordMuffin, 27 April 2018 - 05:30 AM.

SplittingVoid #18 Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:37 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 20749 battles
  • [REXDK] REXDK

I take it that the servers are still not in full function as I'm not able to connect

divsmo #19 Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:57 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 31980 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

View PostSplittingVoid, on 27 April 2018 - 04:37 AM, said:

I take it that the servers are still not in full function as I'm not able to connect

Have you tried clearing the cache? https://eu.wargaming...ot/articles/35/

If that doesn't work then you'll probs have to wait on wg.

All_up_in_ur_grille #20 Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:09 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 31445 battles
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 26 April 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

Graphical improvements are welcome, but for someone who favours gameplay over eye candy that was never a priority for me (though if you compare with early days it's a night/day comparison). However, perhaps more importantly, the move to the new engine should hopefully allow improvements to existing maps, re-working of older ones, and generation of new maps to take place more quickly without the shadow of an entire new graphical architecture looming.

The Progetto marathon was probably the most balanced yet, achievable for free with a mix of skill & persistence, but also new content that was monetised to varying degrees for those that wanted to skip the longer grind. Many of the complaints that were voiced for previous T8 marathons were heeded and acted upon. While I might suggest a few minor tweaks (variation in the Tier X missions), I think this should be the template for future T8 tank marathons.

I agree that tank balance overall appears to cater to the appeal of their largest playerbase. While concessions such as not reselling the Defender on EU are a small sign of recognition, I dont expect this to change much long term.

Maps as above, limited by new engine and historical complaints. Hopefully will become a priority for future patches.

At it's core I agree with you, it's a great game, if I had anything to add it would be for tank balancing to happen quicker.

*Edit* I missed out responding to the artillery comment, I find arty pretty much an annoyance now rather than a crippling mechanic since the changes

Edited by All_up_in_ur_grille, 27 April 2018 - 06:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users