WOT - time to move on?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Inferno1976 #1 Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:07 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 51779 battles

I write this as a player that has enjoyed over 50k games with a relatively decent record. (yes, i have a job and a girlfriend.) I don't intend to make this into a whine thread about WOT, even though some will see it as such. I do not have any illusions this post will change anything, but it is my account what i see, and that is a game going down hill in a fast train.  

Every single patch, this game becomes more and more unbalanced. Introducing stupid tanks that are crazy unbalanced, obj 268-4 example, nerfing them 2 patches after, so all the tools spend gold to free xp. Intro of prem tanks like defender, many times intro of a prem tank that are far better than the non prem counterpart. ex. Mle 49 - amx65. Then once players complain, they stop selling on EU server only - hahaha. Many post here on that, don't worry, it will come back in a 100 Euro package as a special soon. 

This latest patch, the focus here has been on 2 things - eye candy which personally i don't care about. Ever played a game with average graphics, but the game was good and you didn't mind it? Every played the game where graphics was top notch, but the game sucked?

Map re-balances every single patch - now all maps seem flattened in 1.0 , to take away from hill fighting tanks with 10 deg depression, who now many times have to expose hull, to imo favor tanks with 5-6 deg of depression...they can now go hull down in many key map positions. I also love taking a tier8 tank into a tier10 game, where a super conq or a wz111-5a is running full heat/apcr, in an encounter vs ex.  Tig2...which i find very sad and pathetic. WG loves such players that pump their stats this way, end the game with 10k+ in a good game or 50k-100k- in a bad one. ( not saying gold will make a bad player good)

The goal clearly is to sell more premium accounts and gold, free xp, prem tanks...who cares about the game... So is it incompetence? or is WG slicing up a goose that lays golden eggs for meat?  I would say the latter and they are doing a good job at it.  There is no doubt in my mind that this game is Pay to Win now, regardless what WG says. If there was an option between WOT today and example 3 years ago, i would play that.  The real question is how long will players actually throw money at WOT. 

Best.

Edited by Inferno1976, 01 May 2018 - 09:08 AM.

TungstenHitman #2 Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:08 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20672 battles
All the best

Erwin_Von_Braun #3 Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:17 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37377 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostInferno1976, on 01 May 2018 - 08:07 AM, said:

I write this as a player that has enjoyed over 50k games with a relatively decent record. (yes, i have a job and a girlfriend.) I don't intend to make this into a whine thread about WOT, even though some will see it as such. I do not have any illusions this post will change anything, but it is my account what i see, and that is a game going down hill in a fast train. 

Every single patch, this game becomes more and more unbalanced. Introducing stupid tanks that are crazy unbalanced, obj 268-4 example, nerfing them 2 patches after, so all the tools spend gold to free xp. Intro of prem tanks like defender, many times intro of a prem tank that are far better than the non prem counterpart. ex. Mle 49 - amx65. Then once players complain, they stop selling on EU server only - hahaha. Many post here on that, don't worry, it will come back in a 100 Euro package as a special soon.

This latest patch, the focus here has been on 2 things - eye candy which personally i don't care about. Ever played a game with average graphics, but the game was good and you didn't mind it? Every played the game where graphics was top notch, but the game sucked?

Map re-balances every single patch - now all maps seem flattened in 1.0 , to take away from hill fighting tanks with 10 deg depression, who now many times have to expose hull, to imo favor tanks with 5-6 deg of depression...they can now go hull down in many key map positions. I also love taking a tier8 tank into a tier10 game, where a super conq or a wz111-5a is running full heat/apcr, in an encounter vs ex.  Tig2...which i find very sad and pathetic. WG loves such players that pump their stats this way, end the game with 10k+ in a good game or 50k-100k- in a bad one. ( not saying gold will make a bad player good)

The goal clearly is to sell more premium accounts and gold, free xp, prem tanks...who cares about the game... So is it incompetence? or is WG slicing up a goose that lays golden eggs for meat?  I would say the latter and they are doing a good job at it.  There is no doubt in my mind that this game is Pay to Win now, regardless what WG says. If there was an option between WOT today and example 3 years ago, i would play that.  The real question is how long will players actually throw money at WOT.

Best.

To be quite honest with you sir, it's all about the life-cycle of the product.

WoT is currently in the 'cash-cow' stage of it's life cycle - shame really, but that's the way things go.

Having said that, I'm sure it will be around for years to come - just look what happened to Warcraft.

Anyways, have fun in your chosen endevour:honoring:

Homer_J #4 Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I'm confused, are you going or not, you don't actually say.

Either way: 51770

DracheimFlug #5 Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles

View PostInferno1976, on 01 May 2018 - 09:07 AM, said:

Best.

A premium account isn't particularly expensive for a year, especially if you buy it on sale sometime. And you likely have a good premium tank or two already.

Meanwhile how much of your concerns over changes is over real changes and how much over perceived changes? If the game is as bad as you claim, then new premium tanks would not matter that much and would be accordingly harder to sell. Before you were facing more tier 10's in any given tier 10 match as a tier 8. The only difference is that you are in tier 10 matches more often. However that was happening anyway as more and more players make it to tier 10 and the tier 10 population grew.

All that said, burn out is a real thing and a break can be a very good thing. It is a game. If you are not enjoying it, find something you do enjoy.

Hedgehog1963 #6 Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 50879 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY

They've leveled the playing field?   Best to leave.

Premium time is €0.25 a day. 

Edited by Hedgehog1963, 01 May 2018 - 09:41 AM.

DracheimFlug #7 Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 01 May 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

WoT is currently in the 'cash-cow' stage of it's life cycle - shame really, but that's the way things go.

Having said that, I'm sure it will be around for years to come - just look what happened to Warcraft.

Major graphical improvements are not something that normally happens in a 'cash cow' phase. In such a phase there are usually no improvements whatsoever. There is minimal development and only the occasional new trinket for sale. That is not what we are seeing.

Note that I am not saying that the changes are all for the better, merely that they are actually trying to improve or refresh the game. 

Erwin_Von_Braun #8 Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37377 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDracheimFlug, on 01 May 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

Major graphical improvements are not something that normally happens in a 'cash cow' phase. In such a phase there are usually no improvements whatsoever. There is minimal development and only the occasional new trinket for sale. That is not what we are seeing.

Note that I am not saying that the changes are all for the better, merely that they are actually trying to improve or refresh the game.

It would seem so.

Maybe that's what makes this game so appealing - it seems to defy logic & all the odds, yet still manages to retain a healthy player-base.

HeidenSieker #9 Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 01 May 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

I'm confused, are you going or not, you don't actually say. Either way: 51770

As you say, did he actually say he was going to stop playing, or did he merely question his desire to keep playing? Looks like the latter to me.

Edited by HeidenSieker, 01 May 2018 - 10:38 AM.

Homer_J #10 Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHeidenSieker, on 01 May 2018 - 10:37 AM, said:

As you say, did he actually say he was going to stop playing, or did he merely question his desire to keep playing? Looks like the latter to me.

I don't know.  Maybe he just fell asleep.

jabster #11 Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:51 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12532 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 01 May 2018 - 08:47 AM, said:

It would seem so.

Maybe that's what makes this game so appealing - it seems to defy logic & all the odds, yet still manages to retain a healthy player-base.

I wouldn't use the term cash cow either, to me it seems more to be about how do you increase revenues year on year. You could increase the number of players, thereby increasing the number of paying customers; you could convert existing non-paying customers into paying ones; you could 'extract' more money from customers who already pay.

The first option really doesn't seem to have worked so it looks as though WG have plumped for the last two instead.

As an aside having a look a player numbers after v1.0 it doesn't look pretty. There was a small spike but it quickly fell back to pretty much the same numbers.

Erwin_Von_Braun #12 Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:36 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37377 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postjabster, on 01 May 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

I wouldn't use the term cash cow either, to me it seems more to be about how do you increase revenues year on year. You could increase the number of players, thereby increasing the number of paying customers; you could convert existing non-paying customers into paying ones; you could 'extract' more money from customers who already pay.

The first option really doesn't seem to have worked so it looks as though WG have plumped for the last two instead.

As an aside having a look a player numbers after v1.0 it doesn't look pretty. There was a small spike but it quickly fell back to pretty much the same numbers.

I'd like to see the numbers regarding player turn-over.

ie, how many have left & how many have joined - given WG current model it would seem to be geared towards new players coming in, dropping a couple of hundred quid over the course of a year & then moving on.

Purely observational ofc, but that does fit the cash-cow mentality.

Maybe cash-cow is the wrong way to put it but there certainly seems to be an effort to extract maximum revenue in as short a time as possible.

Edited by Erwin_Von_Braun, 01 May 2018 - 02:49 PM.

Malakhi75 #13 Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 24855 battles

Its all about maximising ROI.  The updated graphics and other enhancements have pulled a sizeable return back into the fold......even if that's temporary.  Time will tell if that was a sound investment, but I'd hazard a guess that is was.  It not only re energises the player base somewhat, but it gives the game longevity for a few more years, where potential competition will release with the eye candy the 'gamer' is expecting.  

Is it time to move on?.....depends if you've had enough of the gameplay, mechanics and modus operandi of WG.  If you're no longer getting enjoyment from it regularly, then yes.....its time to seek that fix somewhere else.

WoW did that to me some year back and I've no intention of ever returning there.  I'm sure WoT will also be relegated into the realm of 'use to' but for now, I'll keep plugging away and having fun whilst I do just that.

Edited by Malakhi75, 01 May 2018 - 02:47 PM.

DracheimFlug #14 Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 01 May 2018 - 02:36 PM, said:

I'd like to see the numbers regarding player turn-over.

ie, how many have left & how many have joined - given WG current model it would seem to be geared towards new players coming in, dropping a couple of hundred quid over the course of a year & then moving on.

Purely observational ofc, but that does fit the cash-cow mentality.

Maybe cash-cow is the wrong way to put it but there certainly seems to be an effort to extract maximum revenue in as short a time as possible.

View PostMalakhi75, on 01 May 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

Its all about maximising ROI.  The updated graphics and other enhancements have pulled a sizeable return back into the fold......even if that's temporary.  Time will tell if that was a sound investment, but I'd hazard a guess that is was.  It not only re energises the player base somewhat, but it gives the game longevity for a few more years, where potential competition will release with the eye candy the 'gamer' is expecting.  

Is it time to move on?.....depends if you've had enough of the gameplay, mechanics and modus operandi of WG.  If you're no longer getting enjoyment from it regularly, then yes.....its time to seek that fix somewhere else.

WoW did that to me some year back and I've no intention of ever returning there.  I'm sure WoT will also be relegated into the realm of 'use to' but for now, I'll keep plugging away and having fun whilst I do just that.

The problem as I see it is that they have a major PR problem. Many of the changes have not worked out well, and although many of the complaints have been exaggerated (at least in my opinion), they have not found a way to counter the resulting negative hype.

Sadly, good PR and good CS are very rare things these days. They do not generate revenue directly and the latter can be rather pricey. Plus too many in the world have unreasonable expectations and have no interest in actual truth. That is not a WG/WoT specific problem. I don't think there are any countries or societies in the world not affected. We all were raised on promises of utopia, and there is sadly too strong a tendency to take those promises literally and simply assume some sort of conspiracy must be preventing any given person's image of their perfect society...... 

spuriousmonkey #15 Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42857 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 01 May 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

What happened to warcraft? Just curious. Never played it. Knew it was huge of course at one point and maybe still is.

Erwin_Von_Braun #16 Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37377 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDracheimFlug, on 01 May 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

The problem as I see it is that they have a major PR problem. Many of the changes have not worked out well, and although many of the complaints have been exaggerated (at least in my opinion), they have not found a way to counter the resulting negative hype.

Sadly, good PR and good CS are very rare things these days. They do not generate revenue directly and the latter can be rather pricey. Plus too many in the world have unreasonable expectations and have no interest in actual truth. That is not a WG/WoT specific problem. I don't think there are any countries or societies in the world not affected. We all were raised on promises of utopia, and there is sadly too strong a tendency to take those promises literally and simply assume some sort of conspiracy must be preventing any given person's image of their perfect society......

There will always be negativity surrounding any change to the game - I myself was very opposed to the changes made to LT's and, let's be quite honest here, the majority of the negativity always comes from established players.

I can see why they do what they do, the have a certain business model and part of that involves not resting on their laurels, keeping things fresh and interesting etc.

As far as I'm concerned I love this game, up there with the very best I have played in my 30+ years of gaming - the only thing I really hate about it is nothing to do with the game itself rather certain aspects of the player-base.

You know, the whining, entitled self righteous gimps who think the game should be everything they want and can't possible fathom why anyone would think differently to them.

View Postspuriousmonkey, on 01 May 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

What happened to warcraft? Just curious. Never played it. Knew it was huge of course at one point and maybe still is.

There were big changes which didn't go down well - to the point where a section of the player-base set up their own servers in order to play the game in it's original format.

Not sure how long that lasted tho as I believe they did it without the devs blessing.

shikaka9 #17 Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 57377 battles
I bet everything, obj-268-4 will fail doping test :trollface:

Malakhi75 #18 Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:27 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 24855 battles

View Postspuriousmonkey, on 01 May 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

Blizz dumbed it down massively, removing any possibility of non-cookie cutter builds.  I assume they had issues and therefore costs in balancing the myriad of builds to perform at the same level.  Basically it moved the game from a potentially complex min-max/interesting gameplay to a very basic cookie cutter mechanic which simply deleted the variation players craved and enjoyed.  The end result was that the more experienced and die-hard players left in their masses.  It was a little more complex than that, but thats the essence of it.  Had seven max level toons/alts all raided in max level gear (and many lower level), several hundred hours (thousands maybe) of game play......left, never looked back.

Edited by Malakhi75, 01 May 2018 - 04:28 PM.

Erwin_Von_Braun #19 Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:02 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37377 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostMalakhi75, on 01 May 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

Blizz dumbed it down massively, removing any possibility of non-cookie cutter builds.  I assume they had issues and therefore costs in balancing the myriad of builds to perform at the same level.  Basically it moved the game from a potentially complex min-max/interesting gameplay to a very basic cookie cutter mechanic which simply deleted the variation players craved and enjoyed.  The end result was that the more experienced and die-hard players left in their masses.  It was a little more complex than that, but thats the essence of it.  Had seven max level toons/alts all raided in max level gear (and many lower level), several hundred hours (thousands maybe) of game play......left, never looked back.

Was there a rogue server setup using the original game template, or am I imagining that?

deivio82 #20 Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 46555 battles
  • [LDTO] LDTO
will be 3 months since i stoped pay in WOT game ... no point anymore .... games is not worht the money ... after some changes reasently

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users