• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

MartPP #1 Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:21 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2317 battles
  • [B_S_1] B_S_1

Hi,

I've been playing for a year now, trying out different tank nations/classes, and I went for Soviet medium tanks.

However I've noticed that my winrate is considerably lower than my previously played tanks (T-43 => 41.67%, T-34-85 => 52.28%, T-34 => 58.02%),

so I am thinking of staying on this tier for a while now, despite the fact that I am really excited about the next tanks (T-44, T-54 and Object 140).

I haven't played that many games as well.

I manage to get credits most of the time, unless I am shooting too much gold. 

I thought that I could buy a premium tank.

I've heard that playing in higher tiers (tier 7+) is very costly and it requires you to have a premium tank or at a very least a premium account.

So, I've decided to check out the offer in premium shop and stumbled upon the discounted Cromwell B with already trained crew and some amount of gold for around €30. 

Is the tank worth the price given and should I buy it, considering my previously played tanks as well? 

I haven't played any British tanks before, but I do know what are Cromwell's strong points (mobility, RoF, being a scout at times) which are interesting (especially because the tank itself is a bit similar to T-34 which I enjoyed playing) and make this vehicle very different from Soviet meds, especially tier 6+.

Although premium tanks are intended to train crew for certain nation, I don't have any intentions to play British tanks yet, at least not until I reach Object 140.

I may change my mind in the future though, British medium line is an interesting choice.

Thanks for every reply sent :)

Edited by MartPP, 01 May 2018 - 03:22 PM.

captainpigg #2 Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31001 battles
  • [F-DIV] F-DIV

Since you mostly have have played a Soviet medium line, the obvious choice would be the T-34-85m  for crew training purposes. The Cromwell B is also an excellent choice as you get a BiA crew with it. Two other good early premium purchases are the Churchill III (highest crew exp multiplier in the game) and the Type 64 (just slightly op and a decent crew trainer as well).

Unfortunately tier 5 & 6 premiums really don't earn huge credits, you need at least tier 7 & 8 for that. But as you have noticed the game does get harder at those tiers, due to more experienced players and especially more skilled crews in the tanks. It's not that fun taking taking a tier 9 medium tank into battle without 6'th sense, trust me on that.

A rule of thumb I've stuck to is only go up a tier when you can consistently make a overall profit with a standard account. Cheap to run tanks excluded obviously. 

lmperfection #3 Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 18506 battles
  • [GG-EZ] GG-EZ
Cromwell B is fantastic for grinding credits in teir VI strongholds, used in teambattles occasionally and in tournaments at Vi aswell. It's a great tank even in randoms. 

StinkyStonky #4 Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26977 battles
  • [H5VOC] H5VOC

The Cromwell B is a good tank but IMO not the best for you.

There are 3 (good) reasons to buy a premium tank ...

1) Crew training - you're talking about grinding Russian Mediums so a Russian Medium premium would be good.  The cromwell comes with a great BiA/Berlin crew but it would be largely wasted if you don't grind a British medium line.

2) Credit grinding - Tier 8s make more money that lower tiers but they cost a lot more to buy.  This page might help you chose http://www.vbaddict....reditsn&server=

3) Fun to play - some premiums are iconic and worth it in their own right.  Most are a little disappointing.

My recommendations

If you are flush with cash  and

a) Credits are you priority - Strv S1, Revalorise, Lowe

b) Crew a priority - T-54 1st Prot (25% off a bundle right now)

If cash is a problem

a) T34-85M or Cromwell B

b) A tier 5 (Churchill 3 is a very good 1st prem)

c) don't bother - just play standard tier 4/5/6s that you like.

Seriously, with only 1k battles I would advise you NOT to spend much money yet.  In a few weeks you might get bored, disillusioned or discover a new game and then your €30 premium tank will have turned out to be very poor value for money.

MartPP #5 Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:11 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2317 battles
  • [B_S_1] B_S_1

View Postcaptainpigg, on 01 May 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

Since you mostly have have played a Soviet medium line, the obvious choice would be the T-34-85m  for crew training purposes. The Cromwell B is also an excellent choice as you get a BiA crew with it. Two other good early premium purchases are the Churchill III (highest crew exp multiplier in the game) and the Type 64 (just slightly op and a decent crew trainer as well).

Unfortunately tier 5 & 6 premiums really don't earn huge credits, you need at least tier 7 & 8 for that. But as you have noticed the game does get harder at those tiers, due to more experienced players and especially more skilled crews in the tanks. It's not that fun taking taking a tier 9 medium tank into battle without 6'th sense, trust me on that.

A rule of thumb I've stuck to is only go up a tier when you can consistently make a overall profit with a standard account. Cheap to run tanks excluded obviously. 

Yeah, I am considering T-34-85M too, I'll check videos on both tanks and a few reviews to help me decide.

I want to get Cromwell, because it plays differently, where T-34-85M plays similar to T-34-85.

I'll check out Type and Churchill too.

Once I get better at higher tiers and once the tier 8 MM gets better, I'll consider buying tier 8 premiums as well.

And I agree that crew skills are really important, I got all female crew members (with BiA and one free skill) on a Christmas event for my Soviet med crew.

That's why I'd like to buy Cromwell with already trained crew (€30 version).

Thanks for your tips.

View Postlmperfection, on 01 May 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

Cromwell B is fantastic for grinding credits in teir VI strongholds, used in teambattles occasionally and in tournaments at Vi aswell. It's a great tank even in randoms. 

That seems great if I ever decide to join a clan. I'll take it into consideration, thanks. 

View PostStinkyStonky, on 01 May 2018 - 04:30 PM, said:

The Cromwell B is a good tank but IMO not the best for you.

There are 3 (good) reasons to buy a premium tank ...

1) Crew training - you're talking about grinding Russian Mediums so a Russian Medium premium would be good.  The cromwell comes with a great BiA/Berlin crew but it would be largely wasted if you don't grind a British medium line.

2) Credit grinding - Tier 8s make more money that lower tiers but they cost a lot more to buy.  This page might help you chose http://www.vbaddict....reditsn&server=

3) Fun to play - some premiums are iconic and worth it in their own right.  Most are a little disappointing.

My recommendations

If you are flush with cash  and

a) Credits are you priority - Strv S1, Revalorise, Lowe

b) Crew a priority - T-54 1st Prot (25% off a bundle right now)

If cash is a problem

a) T34-85M or Cromwell B

b) A tier 5 (Churchill 3 is a very good 1st prem)

c) don't bother - just play standard tier 4/5/6s that you like.

Seriously, with only 1k battles I would advise you NOT to spend much money yet.  In a few weeks you might get bored, disillusioned or discover a new game and then your €30 premium tank will have turned out to be very poor value for money.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to find an option which is good for making a decent income and training crew.

lmperfection #6 Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 18506 battles
  • [GG-EZ] GG-EZ

View PostMartPP, on 01 May 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

Yeah, I am considering T-34-85M too, I'll check videos on both tanks and a few reviews to help me decide.

I want to get Cromwell, because it plays differently, where T-34-85M plays similar to T-34-85.

I'll check out Type and Churchill too.

Once I get better at higher tiers and once the tier 8 MM gets better, I'll consider buying tier 8 premiums as well.

And I agree that crew skills are really important, I got all female crew members (with BiA and one free skill) on a Christmas event for my Soviet med crew.

That's why I'd like to buy Cromwell with already trained crew (€30 version).

Thanks for your tips.

That seems great if I ever decide to join a clan. I'll take it into consideration, thanks. 

Never said you had to join a clan, you can go into strongholds and play as a legionnaire

MartPP #7 Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2317 battles
  • [B_S_1] B_S_1

View Postlmperfection, on 01 May 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

Never said you had to join a clan, you can go into strongholds and play as a legionnaire

I see. Sorry, my bad, I thought you had to be in a clan, thanks for clearing that up. 

In regards of buying a premium tank, I think I might go for Churchil, because I've heard that it's a great crew trainer and has preferential MM.

Edited by MartPP, 01 May 2018 - 06:46 PM.

TsundereWaffle #8 Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26579 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
If I were you I’d definitively go for the T-34-85M

Babbet_1 #9 Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10563 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMartPP, on 01 May 2018 - 06:44 PM, said:

In regards of buying a premium tank, I think I might go for Churchil, because I've heard that it's a great crew trainer and has preferential MM.

View PostTsundereWaffle, on 01 May 2018 - 11:23 PM, said:

If I were you I’d definitively go for the T-34-85M

Why not go for both. They are both excellent crew trainers, 85M for medium, and churchill for heavy crews. Churchill is very cheap 10 euros or so when I bought it. Buy both without crew, switch crews into them from your tech tree tanks (without re-training) and see the rate they improve! Churchill is also a super credit builder!

Good luck!  :)

MartPP #10 Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:22 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2317 battles
  • [B_S_1] B_S_1

View PostBabbet_1, on 02 May 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

Why not go for both. They are both excellent crew trainers, 85M for medium, and churchill for heavy crews. Churchill is very cheap 10 euros or so when I bought it. Buy both without crew, switch crews into them from your tech tree tanks (without re-training) and see the rate they improve! Churchill is also a super credit builder!

Good luck!  :)

Thanks for the input! 

So, I think that I have 2 options to choose from:

First option are Churchill 3 and T-34-85M (since they cost around €25 together) or second option which is T-54 First Prototype.

The only advantage of T-54 FP is that it earns more credits (and crew training ofc, but the above tanks can train crew too),

but its downsides are obvious: Tier 8 MM and the fact that I may not perform well in it since my highest tank is Tier 7. 

So in conclusion, I think the better option is the first one.

Thanks to everyone once again for their valuable advices :)

SiliconSidewinder #11 Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 27322 battles
^^ there is also the added bonus that you have both a med and a heavy crew trainer with the first two.

Suurpolskija #12 Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:58 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

If they're doing the military parades, any week now it'll be Rudy on sale and that has Berlin BiA crew in it, so it would benefit your crew training more if you're not into UK tanks.

Crommy B is good, too and imo more fun than the T-34 -variants. And having good crews for multiple nations AND crew trainers isn't a bad idea.

MartPP #13 Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2317 battles
  • [B_S_1] B_S_1

View PostSuurpolskija, on 02 May 2018 - 03:58 PM, said:

If they're doing the military parades, any week now it'll be Rudy on sale and that has Berlin BiA crew in it, so it would benefit your crew training more if you're not into UK tanks.

Crommy B is good, too and imo more fun than the T-34 -variants. And having good crews for multiple nations AND crew trainers isn't a bad idea.

My T-43 has almost 3 crew skills (3rd skill, camo, is on 75-85% mostly), so Rudy's crew is not so important to me, unless I want to train 2 crews for Soviet meds (if I decide to go for Obj 430U as well), and I've heard that T-34-85M is pretty powerful after its buffs.

Edited by MartPP, 02 May 2018 - 05:26 PM.

_GoGen_ #14 Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:30 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8051 battles

Another vote for T-34-85M!

I got it for free for completing some (Christmas?) missions and thought Oh wtf am I going to do with it... but turned to be one of the most fun tanks! It's like medium-heavy in its tier.

Doesn't earn much, but it does not LOSE credits no matter how bad you perform.

MartPP #15 Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:07 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2317 battles
  • [B_S_1] B_S_1

View Post_GoGen_, on 02 May 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

Another vote for T-34-85M!

I got it for free for completing some (Christmas?) missions and thought Oh wtf am I going to do with it... but turned to be one of the most fun tanks! It's like medium-heavy in its tier.

Doesn't earn much, but it does not LOSE credits no matter how bad you perform.

I think its marathon was a year ago, where I almost got it, but as I didn't login for a couple of days, I failed to finish the marathon and obtain it. 

I am definitely thinking of buying it, especially because it's a better version of T-34-85, which I really enjoyed playing.

I've bought  T-34-85M and Cromwell B, which has actually proven to be very enjoyable.

I'll try T-34-85M too, I have high hopes for it.

Thanks for all the tips once again!

Edited by NickMustaine, 05 May 2018 - 11:18 AM.

VarzA #16 Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18081 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostMartPP, on 01 May 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

Hi,

I've been playing for a year now, trying out different tank nations/classes, and I went for Soviet medium tanks.

However I've noticed that my winrate is considerably lower than my previously played tanks (T-43 => 41.67%, T-34-85 => 52.28%, T-34 => 58.02%),

so I am thinking of staying on this tier for a while now, despite the fact that I am really excited about the next tanks (T-44, T-54 and Object 140).

I haven't played that many games as well.

I manage to get credits most of the time, unless I am shooting too much gold. 

I thought that I could buy a premium tank.

I've heard that playing in higher tiers (tier 7+) is very costly and it requires you to have a premium tank or at a very least a premium account.

So, I've decided to check out the offer in premium shop and stumbled upon the discounted Cromwell B with already trained crew and some amount of gold for around €30. 

Is the tank worth the price given and should I buy it, considering my previously played tanks as well? 

I haven't played any British tanks before, but I do know what are Cromwell's strong points (mobility, RoF, being a scout at times) which are interesting (especially because the tank itself is a bit similar to T-34 which I enjoyed playing) and make this vehicle very different from Soviet meds, especially tier 6+.

Although premium tanks are intended to train crew for certain nation, I don't have any intentions to play British tanks yet, at least not until I reach Object 140.

I may change my mind in the future though, British medium line is an interesting choice.

Thanks for every reply sent :)

Keep in mind that T-43 is a really bad tank overall.

Otoh, T-44 is an amazing tank that you will fall in love with (OP as holy hell too).

I haven't played the Cromwell B (did play the Cromwell though), but i did get a similar offer in the form of the Rudy offer.

However, if there was a tank i would buy right now, to teach me about high tier gameplay, and which would be 100% be worth every penny, it would be the Type 64.

I have the Rudy (kinda suffers vs 85M), T-34-85M (for me it's an expensive tank to run because i feel the standard pen is lowish on it), Skoda T40 (awesome when you get it into a position where you can use the -6 gun depression) and the Type 64 (new addition), and at t7 i have the Panther/M10 .... the Type 64 shocked me with the amount of creds it can make, it's a better credit maker than the Panther/M10 and it's not far behind my t8 premiums (AMX CDC, M4A1 Revalorise, T25 Pilot, Progetto 46).

If you have some gold lying around, my advice would be to buy the Type 64, 1 month of premium time, and a 100% crew for it.

Edited by VarzA, 03 May 2018 - 08:42 PM.

captainpigg #17 Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31001 battles
  • [F-DIV] F-DIV

View PostMartPP, on 02 May 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

The only advantage of T-54 FP is that it earns more credits (and crew training ofc, but the above tanks can train crew too),

Actually no, lower tier Premiums have a higher crew exp multiplier than the higher tier ones. ie they earn around about the same crew exp, but way less credits.

MartPP #18 Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2317 battles
  • [B_S_1] B_S_1

View PostVarzA, on 03 May 2018 - 08:40 PM, said:

Keep in mind that T-43 is a really bad tank overall.

Otoh, T-44 is an amazing tank that you will fall in love with (OP as holy hell too).

I haven't played the Cromwell B (did play the Cromwell though), but i did get a similar offer in the form of the Rudy offer.

However, if there was a tank i would buy right now, to teach me about high tier gameplay, and which would be 100% be worth every penny, it would be the Type 64.

I have the Rudy (kinda suffers vs 85M), T-34-85M (for me it's an expensive tank to run because i feel the standard pen is lowish on it), Skoda T40 (awesome when you get it into a position where you can use the -6 gun depression) and the Type 64 (new addition), and at t7 i have the Panther/M10 .... the Type 64 shocked me with the amount of creds it can make, it's a better credit maker than the Panther/M10 and it's not far behind my t8 premiums (AMX CDC, M4A1 Revalorise, T25 Pilot, Progetto 46).

If you have some gold lying around, my advice would be to buy the Type 64, 1 month of premium time, and a 100% crew for it.

I am doing alright with T-43, I think. 

I'll check out Type 64, that viewrange at tier 6 must be OP.

View Postcaptainpigg, on 05 May 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

I see, thanks for the clarification.

akaitora #19 Posted 12 May 2018 - 02:34 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 11768 battles
  • [BD_SQ] BD_SQ
As somebody who did I can only agree to what others have said in here before, do not spend money on the game after just 1k battles!

Spetk #20 Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20882 battles

Don't waste your money in this game.

1. you get a tier 8 premium and you play 75-80% against tier 10....no change to do anything.

2. 75-80% half of your team is bots and do 0 damage at tier 1-8 and 25-50% at tier 8-10.

3. Best think to do and smartest is to play for FREE :great: and enjoy the game.

If you want get premium account...

Edited by Spetk, 14 May 2018 - 08:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users