I have recently tried tha game after 5 years.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Rozbrus #1 Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9496 battles

Hello,

after a bit over 5 years I installed the game again. I recieved email last year telling me "We know why you left". And recently I read about the new graphics engine so I decided to give the game a try. Maybe my observation will help some other players who are thinking about installing the game again.

First thing I noticed was the graphics. Kudos to programmers, it looks gorgeous and I can run it as 100+ fps on max details. In the garage / forest I almost want to be able to walk around. Maybe make it so you can inspect all your vehicles on different places there?

The second change I noticed was gold ammo for silver. Well I told you a left a long time ago :-) It seems like a double edged sword. Especially when consider my next point which is the match making.

It seems to be the same haywire as it was when I left. In most games I am still useless as it is a +2 tier game. Which is especially "funny" when driving tanks like Comet. Without the gold ammo the tank would be next to useless. But the same applies to VK 45.03 and many other tanks. They are good at their tier or maybe in a +1 tier game, but +2 tier game is murderous for them. On the other hand I can get really angry when my M103 turret is penetrated frontaly by someone using a gold ammo as well. I still do not understand why we can not simply have a +/- 1 MM...

Another observation I made is about the arty. That was the main reason I left. I can clearly see some changes were made which is good. I no longer hate games with artys (not so much anyway ;-) ). However more than two per team is still too much. Fortunately, I have not encountered many such battles.

And the last observation are new maps. While they look nice I am affraid they were not made with TDs in mind. On some of these (e.g. Overlord) turetless TDs are almost useless. All I can do is sit back and hope to find some stragglers. Otherwise I die really quick as ther are tanks able to come from any side over those hills / dunes. Or maybe I just play it wrong, which is totaly possible.

Which brings me to the last remark. Five years is a long time and it seems I lost my edge. I used to be a typical average player, but now I really struggle to kill even a single tank. I hope some of my skill comes back, but if it does not, please, do not be mad at me if we end up in the same team :-)

To sum things up, my experience is positive and I will stay a while. Even if just to get tanks I always wanted to have in the garage.

Homer_J #2 Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:08 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28132 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

If you left when premium ammo was gold only then matchmaking would have been +4, +5 or for scouts +6 so +2 should be a breeze.

As for finding places for your turretless TDs on the maps, I think that is a case of just learning the maps, they all have their TD camping grounds, some are not instantly obvious.  Overlord has several spots where you can be useful and remain hidden.

Denisian #3 Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:35 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7230 battles
  • [VIVUS] VIVUS
It's normal to be "bad" and confused after not playing for 5 years. You can play most tanks without gold ammo if you know the good positions on the map and where to aim, and there will be a gold ammo rework soon™ as well.

Dava_117 #4 Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:37 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18955 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Welcome back!

Don't worry about your performances. Drop to tier 6-7 to learn the new map an the new mechanics too! A lot of them changed in the last years, from spotting to ammo type mechanics. 

:)

mollethepro #5 Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8311 battles
play russian tanks like opject 268 4 or is 7 and be realy patient with the w key but dont ignore the w key. trust me it works.

Rozbrus #6 Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9496 battles
Thank you all for advice. I really need to learn those new maps. Fortunately those old ones are the same as I remember them so I am not totaly lost. And as a matter of fact I do have the IS-7. It is the only  tier 10 I managed to obtain. Will try this or drop back to "safe waters" of tier 5 or 6. And meanwhile I will be saving for the E-75.

Edited by Rozbrus, 02 May 2018 - 12:17 PM.

Balc0ra #7 Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 65730 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostRozbrus, on 02 May 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

First thing I noticed was the graphics. Kudos to programmers, it looks gorgeous and I can run it as 100+ fps on max details. In the garage / forest I almost want to be able to walk around. Maybe make it so you can inspect all your vehicles on different places there?

There are free cam mods for the garage. I find it funny that it's not an option. I mean console and WOWS more or less has a screen shot mode that removes the UI and gives better angles then we have to name one.

The second change I noticed was gold ammo for silver. Well I told you a left a long time ago :-) It seems like a double edged sword.

Well next patch "coming tomorrow" the gold option will be gone. And tbh it's better to have it for silver then gold only. As that's even more a pay 2 win option. But with silver at least the free player can afford to use it once in a while vs getting it spammed on him by CW players. Tho this is only stage one as they called it. They have more plans for changing gold ammo. But what that is we don't know yet.

In most games I am still useless as it is a +2 tier game. Which is especially "funny" when driving tanks like Comet. Without the gold ammo the tank would be next to useless. But the same applies to VK 45.03 and many other tanks. They are good at their tier or maybe in a +1 tier game, but +2 tier game is murderous for them. On the other hand I can get really angry when my M103 turret is penetrated frontaly by someone using a gold ammo as well. I still do not understand why we can not simply have a +/- 1 MM...

You're only as useless as you feel in most tanks. Some are useless as they lack pen or mobility to do anything in a support role sure, and use the map. But the majority don't. Comet's flexibility is one aspect I like about it. I only have 5 gold rounds on it, and I don't use it that often. You just have to flank wider and use that mobility more then when top tier. Map awareness is key then. As playing it as a pure 2nd line support tank behind the +2 fighting 180+ mm of effective armor is not helping with your pen. As for +1 MM. I find +1 games fun now and then. But it would lead to more equal tier games too. And that's the worst part about the MM on some tiers atm. Most tier 8's can't even pen half the new tier 8 targets head on unless they use gold. Thus why I take my IS-6 on the medium line the few's I play it in an 0+ game. As it's 100% useless even with gold ammo vs all the VK, Defenders, Chrysler and Patriots those games have. So oddly enough... on some tiers. I wish for +2 at times depending on what tank I'm in.

Another observation I made is about the arty. That was the main reason I left. I can clearly see some changes were made which is good. I no longer hate games with artys (not so much anyway ;-) ). However more than two per team is still too much. Fortunately, I have not encountered many such battles.

Mid tiers don't have many of them. You see more 2 & 3 arty games on low tiers and high tiers tbh. And I personally will take the stun and lose 350 damage then no stun and losing 2000 HP. And it was limited to 3, as 1 would cause to many to time out on wait. And WG did not want to alienate any players. Even arty players.

And the last observation are new maps. While they look nice I am affraid they were not made with TDs in mind. On some of these (e.g. Overlord) turetless TDs are almost useless. All I can do is sit back and hope to find some stragglers. Otherwise I die really quick as ther are tanks able to come from any side over those hills / dunes. Or maybe I just play it wrong, which is totaly possible.

Which brings me to the last remark. Five years is a long time and it seems I lost my edge. I used to be a typical average player, but now I really struggle to kill even a single tank. I hope some of my skill comes back, but if it does not, please, do not be mad at me if we end up in the same team :-)

To sum things up, my experience is positive and I will stay a while. Even if just to get tanks I always wanted to have in the garage.

The meta for turretless TD's have come and gone. Unless you have armor like the T95 or mobility like the E25 etc. That's what most TD's do on that map. Wait in support behind their meds and TD's. And I suspect your edge is still there. It just takes time to get used to the new lay of the land etc on the maps. That and with the new super heavy meta, you need to learn lots o weakspots again. If you stick around, I'm sure you will get the hang of it again.

Rozbrus #8 Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9496 battles

O.K. After some more time I can give a clearer picture. Unfortunately, it seems I was too optimistic. The game has not progressed, if anything it has declined. It has much lower number of players that it had. And it seems that most those good or at east mediocre ones has left. Therefore the gameplay suffers terribly.

Anther problem is that 3-5-7 MM. I am sorry, but only a total i*iot could come up with this idea and even implement it. Yes, when I left we had +-3MM, but guess what. I was not the lowest tier in 80% of battles. Now even some tiers are totaly unplayable (yes, looking at you tier 8). There are also more and more scifi tanks which you have no chance to do anything against. Like last battle in Stug. Few seconds after the start (tier 7 battle of course) I see a T71 in an open field. I aim, fire and againt all odds hit. But nothing happens. A second later I am a smoking wreck killed by invisible tanks. Yeah, what a funny game. But I guess there will still be someone giving advice how I should support my team in the city with a turettless TD. And how I could ask the enemy E25 or IS (if lived enough to see him) to find another target on his tier because it is the purpose of this genius made MM, right? Funny thing is that even if I manage to hit some IS, the damage is so low that he does not even feel it...

The fact is that most TDs are indeed useless unless they have at least useful camo (T40 or T67 are nice). The fact that I rarely see them in a battle is a nice indicator. All I see are T95s and other heavily armored ones.

And then there is the arty, which you can still meet 6 in a battle. I remember we told WG all those years back to remove it or at least limit to 2 per team. But no, let them suffer those orbital cannons. And yes, they are i med tiers as well. Even more I would say. And yes, they can still oneshot you.

I have also mentioned a "gold ammo". Well it was before I encoutered "players" shooting it on my T40. Like seriously? Gold ammo against a TD with no armor? Which is a nice indicator of the current player base. When I encounter a "player" in his VK 35.02 camping in the base and I can even hear the sound of a masking net when he stops, meaning he is even equipped for camping, I really do not know whether to cry or laugh. All in all, my premium expires in two days and I will be gone again. 

I have really hoped that WG has learned at least some lessons, but that is not the case. My long friend list where no one is ever online tells me that I am not the only one with such thoughts. 

Edited by Rozbrus, 13 May 2018 - 09:02 AM.

houghtonbee #9 Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4903 battles

As a similarly non-regular player of this game (I usually have one 2-3 hour session a month) I share your frustration with the MM. I dont mind there being a two tier system as such, I just want some reasoning as to why I'm bottom tier a disproportionate amount of times especially when I'm a pretty rubbish player. I'm not asking for preferential treatment but is this run of games really likely to entice me back to the game regularly?

12 games played this morning

9 +2 tier - bottom tier 7 times, 1 mid tier, 1 top tier

2 +1 tier - bottom tier both times

1 even tier (tier 3).

Plus one match on tier 1.

I don't know if I'm being 'punished' for staying away from the game or something, but surely this isnt balanced fairly? I'm losing most of the games, fair enough I'm not the best player and I'm on a non-premium account (albeit with a free days premium earned on WOWP), but so many bottom tier games is thoroughly demoralising when you are one-shotted by tanks you couldnt hope to see. Surely it's fairer to play the first match or two on an even tier game, if you lose one or both you get the next game top tier in a +1 battle, or if you win both you go bottom tier on a +1 battle, and depending on results you go into +2 tier battles either top, mid tier or bottom (unless using tier 1 or 10 tanks)?

Next few matches;

bottom tier on a +1 game

mid-tier on a +2

even tier

bottom tier +2

bottom tier +1

bottom tier +1 (won)

bottom tier +2 (Won)

even tier

bottom tier +1

lost nearly all the games and turned the rubbish off.

Edited by houghtonbee, 13 May 2018 - 10:33 AM.

Doozerr #10 Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 75007 battles
  • [TYTI] TYTI

I don't see what the problem is with 2 tier spread, if I play tanks 2 tier higher, I can track them, earn assisted damage.... Or even shoot their weak spots and get proper damage!

Funny how people don't complain about it until they get to tier 8

Rozbrus #11 Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:29 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9496 battles

View PostDoozerr, on 13 May 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

I don't see what the problem is with 2 tier spread, if I play tanks 2 tier higher, I can track them, earn assisted damage.... Or even shoot their weak spots and get proper damage!

I do not know how others, but it is screwed up from tier 5. Tier 5 against tier 7, oh yeah. And if you track them so what? They repair and then oneshot kill you. Especially those Japanese scifi monstrosities which show everyone that WG has completely lost their mind. What a fun. Some people still expect this is a team game. Well it is not and has never been. Unless a platoon of friends join, it is 15 individuals agains 15 individuals. 

Edited by Rozbrus, 13 May 2018 - 10:31 AM.

houghtonbee #12 Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:35 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4903 battles

View PostDoozerr, on 13 May 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

As i stated, I dont mind a two tier system, what I object to is the ridiculous amount of times I've found myself bottom tier (all games tier 4-7 in the previous post unless stated otherwise) in one gaming session. Maybe it's the standard amount and everyone experiences it up to tier 9/10, idk. but 20 games, top tier once, mid tier twice is total [edited]and not worth playing on with.

Edited by houghtonbee, 13 May 2018 - 10:36 AM.

malachi6 #13 Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:42 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 49587 battles
But why is it when you are bottom tier do you actively seek out the 3 top tier to complain you can't shoot them?  Why not find tanks you can shoot, especially in the Comet, which has more than enough mobility to re position?  IF you think the pack before you meet the top tiers, their is a good chance your team can focus fire against them when you do meet them.

Rozbrus #14 Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9496 battles

Really? Actively seeking? How the hell am I suppose to know where they are? How shall I know I will meet an IS2 on the hill of Prochorovka or in the bushed road on the opposite side when in my Stug or BDR. Yeah, both are fast to relocate... Or shall I just camp until someone spots them and then move? That will definitely make me useful.

Edited by Rozbrus, 13 May 2018 - 11:28 AM.

Dava_117 #15 Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18955 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostRozbrus, on 13 May 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

O.K. After some more time I can give a clearer picture. Unfortunately, it seems I was too optimistic. The game has not progressed, if anything it has declined. It has much lower number of players that it had. And it seems that most those good or at east mediocre ones has left. Therefore the gameplay suffers terribly.

Anther problem is that 3-5-7 MM. I am sorry, but only a total i*iot could come up with this idea and even implement it. Yes, when I left we had +-3MM, but guess what. I was not the lowest tier in 80% of battles. Now even some tiers are totaly unplayable (yes, looking at you tier 8). There are also more and more scifi tanks which you have no chance to do anything against. Like last battle in Stug. Few seconds after the start (tier 7 battle of course) I see a T71 in an open field. I aim, fire and againt all odds hit. But nothing happens. A second later I am a smoking wreck killed by invisible tanks. Yeah, what a funny game. But I guess there will still be someone giving advice how I should support my team in the city with a turettless TD. And how I could ask the enemy E25 or IS (if lived enough to see him) to find another target on his tier because it is the purpose of this genius made MM, right? Funny thing is that even if I manage to hit some IS, the damage is so low that he does not even feel it...

The fact is that most TDs are indeed useless unless they have at least useful camo (T40 or T67 are nice). The fact that I rarely see them in a battle is a nice indicator. All I see are T95s and other heavily armored ones.

And then there is the arty, which you can still meet 6 in a battle. I remember we told WG all those years back to remove it or at least limit to 2 per team. But no, let them suffer those orbital cannons. And yes, they are i med tiers as well. Even more I would say. And yes, they can still oneshot you.

I have also mentioned a "gold ammo". Well it was before I encoutered "players" shooting it on my T40. Like seriously? Gold ammo against a TD with no armor? Which is a nice indicator of the current player base. When I encounter a "player" in his VK 35.02 camping in the base and I can even hear the sound of a masking net when he stops, meaning he is even equipped for camping, I really do not know whether to cry or laugh. All in all, my premium expires in two days and I will be gone again. 

I have really hoped that WG has learned at least some lessons, but that is not the case. My long friend list where no one is ever online tells me that I am not the only one with such thoughts. 

The problem of mm is not the template, but how WG set it. You were not here when the mm patch hit the servers. It's been the better mm I ever seen, in WoT. Most of the battle were single tier or 5/10, the nost balanced IMO, with few 3/5/7 here and there. OFC, the next patch WG gave priority to 3/5/7 over the other, probably not enought premium fired... :sceptic:

Rozbrus #16 Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9496 battles

View PostDava_117, on 13 May 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

The problem of mm is not the template, but how WG set it. You were not here when the mm patch hit the servers. It's been the better mm I ever seen, in WoT. Most of the battle were single tier or 5/10, the nost balanced IMO, with few 3/5/7 here and there. OFC, the next patch WG gave priority to 3/5/7 over the other, probably not enought premium fired... :sceptic:

Thanks, I did not know that. However this is a typical WG. Fixing something that does not need a fix and screwing everything even more. Which corresponds with my observation. They are simply unable or unwilling to make the game better.

SilentGaze #17 Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 771 battles

View PostRozbrus, on 13 May 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

Thanks, I did not know that. However this is a typical WG. Fixing something that does not need a fix and screwing everything even more. Which corresponds with my observation. They are simply unable or unwilling to make the game better.

If you have an product which sells well and gives an good profit, and your customers suggest that you change your product so that you think your profit would be smaller. Would you change your product?

malachi6 #18 Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:02 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 49587 battles

View PostRozbrus, on 13 May 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

Really? Actively seeking? How the hell am I suppose to know where they are? How shall I know I will meet an IS2 on the hill of Prochorovka or in the bushed road on the opposite side when in my Stug or BDR. Yeah, both are fast to relocate... Or shall I just camp until someone spots them and then move? That will definitely make me useful.

Given that in the majority of games their are only 3 top tier tanks. And from your comment you find them all the time.  One can only assume you are actively looking for them.  I am not a  very good player.  However, if I see tanks 2 tiers above me and I do not have a gun advantage.  I will do everything in my power to disengage.  I will attempt tracking shots or if they have not spotted me.  Try to keep vision for those tanks that can deal with it. 

Frankly, despite my lack of ability.  I would rather have a good fight, where I know I have done my best v's top tier opposition, than want the MM to mother me into easy games.

Rozbrus #19 Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9496 battles

View PostSilentGaze, on 13 May 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

If you have an product which sells well and gives an good profit, and your customers suggest that you change your product so that you think your profit would be smaller. Would you change your product?

Well based upon the fact that there are now hardly half the players playing compared to 5 years ago I would say it is the highest time to make the change. I remember weekends with over 200k players. 

Edited by Rozbrus, 13 May 2018 - 04:01 PM.

Warzey #20 Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• WGL PRO Player
  • 56947 battles
  • [GG-EZ] GG-EZ

View PostRozbrus, on 13 May 2018 - 03:00 PM, said:

Well based upon the fact that there are now hardly half the players playing compared to 5 years ago I would say it is the highest time to make the change. I remember weekends with over 200k players. 

You have to keep in mind that back in the day WG was adding a lot of new content. It's only natural that we have less players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users