7th Anniversary Coupon: 30%

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Elefantas #1 Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 43152 battles

HI everyone

today i got an in game message that i get a 30% discount coupon cause i play over 7 years wot.

i go to my coupons in wot site and i see that it expires in 7 days.

what kind of joke coupon is this ?

i will have real money to spend in 8 days.

Why lose this 30% joke discount ?

Sfinski #2 Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 30913 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

'cause WG should know when you get money...

Coupons expire, simple as that, not worth a topic.

signal11th #3 Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35376 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostElefantas, on 02 May 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

HI everyone

today i got an in game message that i get a 30% discount coupon cause i play over 7 years wot.

I had one and had the exact same problem, The tank I actually wanted was released in the shop the day after my coupon run out. and to be honest if you have played this game for 7 years it should be at least 50% off .

Edited by signal11th, 02 May 2018 - 03:51 PM.

Ceeb #4 Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:52 PM

Major General

• Beta Tester
  • 30079 battles
Mine lapsed last week.

Its a weak attempt to make you spend money.. 7 days is "oh you must use it before its gone" use of FOMO again... once you spot it you get wise... (Fear of Missing Out)

Plus you cant spend it on anything really useful (I managed to get the Lorraine 40t on discount in the past plus the 30 %) but WG stopped all that.

Laukaus #5 Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:58 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8263 battles

View PostElefantas, on 02 May 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

HI everyone

Congratulations. You have been persuaded by WG to waste your money. 

If I am right, this coupon can not be used for anything useful, for example gold or premium account. 

I have in couple of months got a couple of coupons. I didn't use them. I dont need sh1t because I dont even have a wheatfield in which to spread it. 

Elefantas #6 Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 43152 battles

View PostSfinski, on 02 May 2018 - 02:50 PM, said:

The 8 days i wrote is for example mr wiseguy.

and yes worth a topic if cuase i am not the only one and not the first time i get this joke.

Strappster #7 Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostLaukaus, on 02 May 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

If I am right, this coupon can not be used for anything useful, for example gold or premium account.

Other way around - about the only things the coupon is useful for is gold and premium account when they're not already discounted. You can't use it on any bundled deals or where another discount is offered so unless you're looking for something specific, such as a premium tank that's currently full price, gold or premium account is about as good as you're going to get.

It's a pretty meh reward for customer loyalty. I understand that a coupon provides flexibility to choose whatever you want (that's restricted by WG) but chances are that after playing the game for 7 years, you know exactly what you want and probably have it already so they might as well offer something like a year's premium account at 50% instead.

Chull #8 Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 31674 battles

View PostLaukaus, on 02 May 2018 - 03:58 PM, said:

Congratulations. You have been persuaded by WG to waste your money. 

I have in couple of months got a couple of coupons. I didn't use them. I dont need sh1t because I dont even have a wheatfield in which to spread it. 

This coupon is different, you can spend it on anything, I bought a couple of bromwells and it worked fine.

Sfinski #9 Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:11 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 30913 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostElefantas, on 02 May 2018 - 05:00 PM, said:

The 8 days i wrote is for example mr wiseguy.

and yes worth a topic if cuase i am not the only one and not the first time i get this joke.

"i will have real money to spend in 8 days." Not an example, that's a statement. 

Cobra6 #10 Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Had a 30% coupon for my 7th that was at least valid on gold, so I just bought a bunch of that and will buy a premium account when it comes on 15% discount at some point in the game to get ~50% off a premium account.

Normally these coupons are not valid on anything you'd want like gold or special items.

Cobra 6

_b_ #11 Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:39 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 54991 battles
Like Cobra said, account is only valid on non-discounted and non-specials and non-timelimited ... so more or less all you can get is gold.  I let mine expire ...

brumbarr #12 Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:47 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles

View Post_b_, on 02 May 2018 - 04:39 PM, said:

Like Cobra said, account is only valid on non-discounted and non-specials and non-timelimited ... so more or less all you can get is gold.  I let mine expire ...

I got a coupon for 20% that I cant even use on gold...

XrN1 #13 Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14337 battles
  • [NRC] NRC

View PostSfinski, on 02 May 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

I have received a similar coupon and contacted support about this. The response was that the system is automated, they (support) cannot extend the expiration date and they cannot offer a similar coupon at a later date. 

There was no option to provide direct feedback, I was redirected to post on the General forums for CM's to pick up the feedback (if they feel it's relevant) to report to the devs. 

Coupons

From WG's perspective the coupons are meant to increase sales. 

From the player's perspective the coupons should be an incentive to buy something they otherwise might not have. 

I'm sure the above will apply to many coupons that are given out both for WG's and players' perspectives. 

Most coupons we see are the ones that are for specific items or are for discounts that do not include specials and gold. The anniversary coupon I received was valid for anything, including specials and gold.

Gifts

But then there is the aspect of "gifts". In this instance the coupon is given as a gift, a reward, a token of appreciation of a player's seven year long relationship with the company. 

These gifts are to strengthen the relationship between the two parties. However when something is given that cannot be used by the recipient, it is useless. 

One could argue that nothing is lost, WG didn't have to give him a gift, didn't have to give him a coupon for a discount. So he didn't "lose" anything. 

On the contrary, the exact purpose of the gift has lead to the opposite, the negative of the desired effect.

Instead of feeling appreciated with receiving a useful gift, he feels insulted and not appreciated at all. 

WG loses a lot of goodwill with people who are unable to use the coupons they want to. 

It is more damaging to give out an unusable gift than to not give it out in the first place. 

Time-limited offers

I believe the biggest issue is the expiry date. I am well aware of the psychology behind time-limited offers and creating a sense of urgency to entice customers to "jump" on a sale. 

I am a sucker for discounts, specials, giveaways, contests, which is why I like the specials in the premium shop, I like the special packages and the special time-limited offer tanks that appear occasionally, and I like coupons. I'm nothing buying every time there is something special, but I like looking at them. :)

As someone who is conscious about these time-limited tank specials, receiving a discount coupon that is usable on anything (including gold and special bundles), I would love to use one of these coupons on one of these special tank packages. 

In other words, by having so different programs to encourage buying, it ultimately complicates things when offers don't coincide and lead to disappointment.

Solution

As for a solution, I believe having longer expiry dates on the anniversary coupons (1-3 months) would satisfy more recipients, both to people who need to wait for their payday and those who want to use their coupon on the time-limited tank packages for that specific tank they really want. For the other coupons, I believe extending those to at least two weeks would be desirable. 

Increasing the percentage of people who can use their coupons is beneficial for both WG and the players. (Especially for WG, because "gifting" something a player cannot use is actively hurting them)

Thrael7 #14 Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22983 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Indeed, for a 7 years anniversary coupon the expiration date should be somewhat later than usual.

Edited by Thrael7, 02 May 2018 - 10:21 PM.

uglycousin #15 Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:44 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 43179 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

These coupons are a joke. Someone at WG needs a serious spanking for this.

Homer_J #16 Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:32 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostLaukaus, on 02 May 2018 - 03:58 PM, said:

I used mine on 90 days premium.  I would have gone for 180 days but I couldn't because that was bundled with the T-28E which I wouldn't even get because I already have it, nor the gold value because it's one of those bundles where the tank is free so you get no gold compensation.

Denisian #17 Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:38 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7230 battles
  • [VIVUS] VIVUS

View PostXrN1, on 02 May 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

Most coupons we see are the ones that are for specific items or are for discounts that do not include specials and gold. The anniversary coupon I received was valid for anything, including specials and gold.

Why is this a thing, considering that my 7 year anniversary was only valid for gold/premium/non-discounted? WG must be really bad at maths because last time I checked, 7 was greater than 4. I get everything else, but that I do not.

Ubervold #18 Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:40 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20861 battles

Those anniversary coupons are good, (or atleast they used to be) used mine for a T34 on discount, got a shitload of gold instead cause I have that tank already.

The regular coupons you get thrown at you every other game or so are more or less useless though....

Edited by Ubervold, 03 May 2018 - 07:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users