Rear turreted tanks.............

impossible hit ratio STG made of Butter More naked women please

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

NoobySkooby #1 Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9319 battles

OK I admit I suck in most things tank related (and no I am not responsible for my clans name, although it splendidly suits me) but for the life of me I struggle in my IS M, a tank i like for some unknown reason, yet after watching loads of streams about these things, it all ends in ruin.

What is the real trick to playing these things, I know about the side scraping thing, but how you do that in open areas is beyond me, any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

_b_ #2 Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:57 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 54446 battles
Think trick is to avoid open areas at all cost ... hull down and sidescrape is where it shines

NoobySkooby #3 Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9319 battles

View Post_b_, on 02 May 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

Think trick is to avoid open areas at all cost ... hull down and sidescrape is where it shines

Ok so you don't play it in the 'Diamond' style as you do thew Chrysler K brute then, i will scrub that idea then, thanks

Bulldog_Drummond #4 Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:03 PM

General

• Player
  • 28143 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNoobySkooby, on 02 May 2018 - 05:38 PM, said:

OK I admit I suck in most things tank related (and no I am not responsible for my clans name, although it splendidly suits me) but for the life of me I struggle in my IS M, a tank i like for some unknown reason, yet after watching loads of streams about these things, it all ends in ruin.

What is the real trick to playing these things, I know about the side scraping thing, but how you do that in open areas is beyond me, any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

The trick is to avoid buying any rear engine tank (except maybe a German super-heavy).  There is a good reason why few in real life entered service.

But, without intending to be rude, with your WN50 score you should be looking to practice at low tiers rather than messing about with an IS M, unless your intention is purely to drive around and have some fun before being rapidly killed, in which case fair enough, but you will probably get a lot of angry messages in chat from your team mates.

FatigueGalaxy #5 Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:17 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18885 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 02 May 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

The trick is to avoid buying any rear engine tank (except maybe a German super-heavy).  There is a good reason why few in real life entered service.

But, without intending to be rude, with your WN50 score you should be looking to practice at low tiers rather than messing about with an IS M, unless your intention is purely to drive around and have some fun before being rapidly killed, in which case fair enough, but you will probably get a lot of angry messages in chat from your team mates.

Good suggestion.

Laukaus #6 Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:25 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8186 battles

View PostNoobySkooby, on 02 May 2018 - 05:38 PM, said:

OK I admit I suck in most things tank related

If it helps your feeling, so does *edit gaming too. 

Edited by Jbnn, 03 May 2018 - 09:05 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks.

HonoredStone #7 Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22131 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

the is-m just seems to work for me. don't know why. it's not even a good tank

250swb #8 Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21409 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

It's not the tank!

Well, ok, in this case it is also the tank, and nobody likes it. If you do like it despite not being very good with it maybe that is part of the problem, you aren't looking at the problem rationally, which should be to concentrate on your game and not the tank.

RamRaid90 #9 Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:04 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20253 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Post250swb, on 02 May 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

It's not the tank!

Well, ok, in this case it is also the tank, and nobody likes it. If you do like it despite not being very good with it maybe that is part of the problem, you aren't looking at the problem rationally, which should be to concentrate on your game and not the tank.

IS-M is a great tank.

705 was a bit of a let down, 705a is beastly when played right.

Bulldog_Drummond #10 Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:07 PM

General

• Player
  • 28143 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post250swb, on 02 May 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

It's not the tank!

Again, I'm not trying to be horrid to Nooby, but the issues do go a bit deeper than the IS M, see:

http://wotlabs.net/eu/player/NoobySkooby

vixu #11 Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:28 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41543 battles
Is-M is one of the best heavies in tier 8. 

In any case, rear turret allows you to side-scrape better, since you don't need to back up far to have a shot. While my wr on it is not gr8 but I highly attribute it to my luck with teams. 

_b_ #12 Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:51 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 54446 battles

well....hated grinding the modules ... or rather didn't enjoy it overly much since also MM decided me being lower end of 3:5:7 were the thing... now with finally top turret and gun it's more fun :playing:

but show lower parts or the curved front ...and a limp d i c k will penetrate you no problemo.

anyhow, almost no matter what step of the ladder i'm in while playing it I just press W and try to get into any hulldown / sidescrap I can. Seems to work :)

NoobySkooby #13 Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9319 battles

This low tiers thing, it won't actually make me any better, i am just as unlucky in my beloved Matilda, the trouble I find is when you see a target, and line up for the shot, they inconveniently move:trollface:

Damned unsporting of them:D

Bulldog_Drummond #14 Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:03 PM

General

• Player
  • 28143 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNoobySkooby, on 02 May 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

This low tiers thing, it won't actually make me any better, i am just as unlucky in my beloved Matilda, the trouble I find is when you see a target, and line up for the shot, they inconveniently move:trollface:

Damned unsporting of them:D

Yes, the Matilda is indeed well known for its long aim time and slow rate of fire, not to mention its low penetration.  My hat is off to you, young sir, for managing 161 dpg in it despite these notorious handicaps.

NoPoet406 #15 Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:07 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2404 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

The Matilda is fantastic for seal clubbers but remember that not everyone can be the best in the world. It is accurate and dangerous, but it is slow, extremely lacking in damage per shot, not guaranteed to penetrate some of the tanks it comes across and can be easily penned by the many, many skilled players who learned how to kill Matildas years ago. DPM for the Matilda is brilliant on paper, but the idea that anyone except the most highly skilled player achieves anything like a tank's rated DPM is just silly. A shot has got to hit, then it's got to pen, then it's got to do 100% damage, and you've also got to do absolutely nothing but sit there with your finger on the fire button the whole time.

Try hanging back in battles; go slow, follow other heavies in. Don't be a spotter, be a sniper and attack enemies who are engaged fighting your team-mates. Play like a coward: stay off ridgelines, stay behind bushes and terrain as much as possible. Try to only take shots you are sure will hit. If you can't pen, try tracking them instead and letting your team do the fighting. The longer you survive on full health, the more valuable you become, especially in a Matilda. Also remember that the tanks you play will be feared by anyone with a brain and you are likely to be a high priority target.

Dorander #16 Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:04 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17854 battles

It's worth noting that when it comes to open areas, where your turret is mounted doesn't actually matter so much. It only matters when it comes to corners/curves, and that's where "the sidescraping thing" comes in.

There's also something called "reverse sidescraping" which feels entirely counterintuitive but has been a viable tactic since the first days of sidescraping. Basically, instead of pushing your front against a wall to sidescrape you plonk your arse against it instead, the wall covers your rear, the sidescrape covers your side, and Bob's your uncle. However, as this typically negates the advantage of rear-mounted turrets in the first place this used to be only done with tanks that do not have rear-mounted turrets and good side armour.

The biggest disadvantage of rear-mounted turrets in open terrain is uneven terrain. The principle of reverse sidescraping can apply here too, if you can't drive up to fire over a ride without exposing most of your tank, consider reversing up into it instead. If this is not a feasable option, don't go to such locations, no matter what the "map meta" might say about where you "should" go. Play to your tank's strengths, not to its weaknesses.

NoobySkooby #17 Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9319 battles

View PostNoPoet406, on 03 May 2018 - 12:07 AM, said:

The Matilda is fantastic for seal clubbers but remember that not everyone can be the best in the world. It is accurate and dangerous, but it is slow, extremely lacking in damage per shot, not guaranteed to penetrate some of the tanks it comes across and can be easily penned by the many, many skilled players who learned how to kill Matildas years ago. DPM for the Matilda is brilliant on paper, but the idea that anyone except the most highly skilled player achieves anything like a tank's rated DPM is just silly. A shot has got to hit, then it's got to pen, then it's got to do 100% damage, and you've also got to do absolutely nothing but sit there with your finger on the fire button the whole time.

Try hanging back in battles; go slow, follow other heavies in. Don't be a spotter, be a sniper and attack enemies who are engaged fighting your team-mates. Play like a coward: stay off ridgelines, stay behind bushes and terrain as much as possible. Try to only take shots you are sure will hit. If you can't pen, try tracking them instead and letting your team do the fighting. The longer you survive on full health, the more valuable you become, especially in a Matilda. Also remember that the tanks you play will be feared by anyone with a brain and you are likely to be a high priority target.

Actually I have just tooned with a guy who said basically the same thing, and it is his fault i love them so much:trollface:

But good advice all that same tank you

RamRaid90 #18 Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20253 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostNoPoet406, on 02 May 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

Try hanging back in battles; go slow

Yes go slow in the Matilda.

I went around a corner too fast in it once, my coffee nearly fell over.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users