I love the Cromwell, but it hates me and I cant figure out how to play it!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Bexleyheath #1 Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:44 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2651 battles
  • [K0RV] K0RV

Dear lads!

I own both the regular old Cromwell and the Cromwell B. I've had around 70 games in them, but I still cant figure out how the damn things are supposed to be played. I just go out there, manage to do a bit of spotting, maybe get 2-3 shots of but then I invariably get blown to smithereens by some bolshevik blackguard in a KV2. Not even reading Bill Bellamy's excellent "troop leader" helped, even though it teaches you invalueable skills such as how to brew tea during an ongoing mortar attack, or how one gets the most comfortable nights sleep on the back of a Cromwell.

I think the issue is that Im both useless* in the Cromwell and medium tanks in general. So, could you give me bit of help and guidance, please?

* as in even less useful than my usual, awful playing

Edited by Bexleyheath, 02 May 2018 - 07:51 PM.

Brodie_ #2 Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:11 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 76089 battles
To be quite honest, you really just have to play more to develop your skills.

However, I can certainly add a few basics about the Crommy.

It does not have armour that is worth much, though it can be bouncy in certain situations.
So you really should never be trading shots with someone.

When shooting at anything other, than very close range, always fully aim your shots!
It is not as accurate as many tier 6's!

If an enemy is isolated?( on their own with no allies to support them)
Then the Crommy is one of the most effective circle staffers in the game!
If you ever see an enemy heavy on low HP.
Sneak up, at the highest speed possible.
Get your auto-aim locked on & circle them while pumping shot after shot into them till they die.
A bit of clever timing should allow you to avoid their return fire.

It's fantastic for ramming lights!
If you see a light near you and can ram it!
Do it!

The Crommy has good basic around stats for the tier.
Start the battle at mid to long range, unless your really hot on your map tactics?
Use the Crommy's speed to relocate, take advantage of situations.
To go & help allies if needed.

Keep a major eye on the map at all times.

I would suggest watching "Jingles" How not to suck video's on YouTube as well.
They are old but still totally relevant!

Good luck!

Babbet_1 #3 Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:55 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9755 battles
Top tip: Take the Rumpy-pumpy element out of your sig and concentrate on the Blood! Death! War! You will find that your eyesight will improve and your hand won't shake as much (at least whilst playing WoT), resulting in a marked improvement in aim! How do I know? Well I'm rubbish in the Crommies too!  :)

Balc0ra #4 Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:41 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62806 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Spot or do damage, you can't do both in that thing. So if you are spotting, and want to use your guns. Make sure you have a double bush or fall back 15m behind your current one. If you are done spotting, then Cromwell is best used as a bully flanker. Follow behind the main med push. Flank wide or dance around distracted targets. If their gun is aiming at you, it's time to fall back. Anything not aiming at you is free damage. Ride lines is a Cromwell's best friend. Use them to mask your movement. And use it to bully any target not looking at you. Even as top tier, any gun looking at you is a bad trade, nothing more. As you nave zero armor.

mpf1959 #5 Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:26 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10340 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
From what I have observed via my artillery sights the Cromwell is best played like a swift, it never lands and is constantly moving! It's a red letter day for me if I can track one on the move!

Bexleyheath #6 Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2651 battles
  • [K0RV] K0RV

I've been oogling some replays and it seems like most of the really good players simply use their speed to get into convenient camping spots, where they stay and snipe at the enemy. That's not what I've been doing at all, I swan around all over the battlefield taking snapshots and being generally speedy.

View PostBabbet_1, on 02 May 2018 - 09:55 PM, said:

..take the Rumpy-pumpy element out of your sig and concentrate on the Blood! Death! War!..

No rumpy-pumpy?! Surely you've gone completely mad!

Frankenstein_42 #7 Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8023 battles
  • [GTI-O] GTI-O

View PostBexleyheath, on 02 May 2018 - 06:44 PM, said:

Dear lads!

I own both the regular old Cromwell and the Cromwell B. I've had around 70 games in them, but I still cant figure out how the damn things are supposed to be played. I just go out there, manage to do a bit of spotting, maybe get 2-3 shots of but then I invariably get blown to smithereens by some bolshevik blackguard in a KV2. Not even reading Bill Bellamy's excellent "troop leader" helped, even though it teaches you invalueable skills such as how to brew tea during an ongoing mortar attack, or how one gets the most comfortable nights sleep on the back of a Cromwell.

I think the issue is that Im both useless* in the Cromwell and medium tanks in general. So, could you give me bit of help and guidance, please?

How to play mediums:

1. dont trade (without some exceptions)

2. try to flank if possible

3. use the terrain

4. if you play peek-a-bo(?) then dont aim just snap the shot of and hope you hit (unless your at extrem range) 

5. spot sometimes for your team

6. use bushes

7. be aware of the reload of the enemys

8. track enemies with damage if possible

9. lock at the minimap

10. try not to push multiple enemies without a team or your sure that you can easily kill them

11. always try to angle the armour and never sit still if enemies can shot you

12. a good crew is also something important (sixth sense, gunhandlingskills, bia, viewrange, repairs, sometimes camo

13. always play with your team if possible

if you have any questions write to me ingame so we can platoon together and i can show you some tricks.

I hope i could help you

Frankenstein_42

Babbet_1 #8 Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:44 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9755 battles

View PostBexleyheath, on 03 May 2018 - 01:21 PM, said:

No rumpy-pumpy?! Surely you've gone completely mad!

No, not mad, just old - very very old!   :confused:

Edited by Babbet_1, 03 May 2018 - 03:45 PM.

wardog2704 #9 Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19111 battles

Dont believe those replays. Also if you dont care much about wn8 en such stuff the cromwell is a lot of fun. For the fun part you are on the right way, use the speed. In the beginning of the battle spot active. After that fall a little back and wait for heavys or other mediums. Then the fun begins, Let the others and better mediums or heavys do some damage shots. Then move in on speed pick the ones you cane kill in 2 or 3 shots auto lock and circle the hell out of them. The auto lock is important, you can keep firing butt still look around you and already pick your next target. All of the above only works if MM is nice to you :harp:. If MM is not nice fall back to the snipping modus and try to do a little damage. In the B playing like this a always make about 15 to 20k when losing and getting destroyed. The normal cromwell i take out with the derp gun and full gold and rofl reading the comments i get after the game . If this is a playstile you could like you can also contact me in game to platoon. A platoon of 2 cromwells can kick some as$ but 3 can realy destroy a enemy team.

*edit*

credits are with prem account

Edited by wardog2704, 03 May 2018 - 04:37 PM.

VarzA #10 Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17436 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostBexleyheath, on 02 May 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

Dear lads!

You have to be a coward in it, and bully when you know you can.

Gun handling blows on it (why i hate the cromwell/cromwell b and prefer stuff like the Rudy/Type 64), but it doesn't matter much in the right circumstances.

You are a paper-ish medium, with light tank mobility (especially true for Cromwell B).

Bully lights of same tier, but not always a tier above (LTG would probably wreck you), and be afraid of the rest, flank, don't allow yourself to be spotted.

TungstenHitman #11 Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:52 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18619 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV
Cromwell has speed and a bit more hp than a same tier light and that's all it has imo. Other than that I found it complete crap in all other aspects when held next to it's other same tier medium tanks that I have played. I can forgive everything for every tank in the game but if the gun is consistently unreliable and constantly missing even easy shots this is something I can simply never accept and the Cromwell has one of the worst soft stats and maybe even the worst. It just keeps missing shots even easy almost unmissable shots in which 95% of the aiming circle is full of enemy tank the Cromwell picks out the tiny little microscopic part that is a miss. Other meds are nice to play, Cromie also has flat armor so expect everything to pen you unless the games RNG smiles on you and decides to spare you.

TsundereWaffle #12 Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25832 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Post (or send me) a couple of replays, I won’t mind going through them and giving advice 

Bexleyheath #13 Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:04 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2651 battles
  • [K0RV] K0RV

A heartfelt thanks to all the helpful advice and kind offers of tutelage. I uploaded my most recent game in the Crommy right here:

http://wotreplays.eu...yheath-cromwell

Stole a few kills like a thief in the night and managed not to get killed. Other than that, it's quite mediocre.

Frankenstein_42 #14 Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:56 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8023 battles
  • [GTI-O] GTI-O

View PostBexleyheath, on 04 May 2018 - 11:04 PM, said:

A heartfelt thanks to all the helpful advice and kind offers of tutelage. I uploaded my most recent game in the Crommy right here:

http://wotreplays.eu...yheath-cromwell

Stole a few kills like a thief in the night and managed not to get killed. Other than that, it's quite mediocre.

1. dont use camonet on meds (normal setup for meds: gunrammer, vert. stab, optics; if vert. stab is not available then take vents. optics are an exception on high viewrange tanks)

2. the initial spotting from meds is not spotting like lights but aggresiv play and  spotting cause you have good viewrange and then spot 

3. always try to get a secound shot of if you dont take dmg from it (13:36)

4. dont wait if you can atleast aim a corner (past 13:36) (get unspotted yes but then you could have peeked)

5. your possi was quite bad cause the only way you could get away was ether drop down or expose yourself to enemy fire play more at the slope of the hill

6. i wouldnt use x16 or x25 zoom but its your choice

7. the 5. point proves itself cause after the drop you take dmg and then you camp (cause you were in the wrong possistion in the first place) and then you would have been able to push the center hill with the other allies

8. at 12:00 continuing you could have used autoaim so you would have maybe gotten 2 shots in or use the snipermode + drive 

9. also you should maybe use the penindicator

10. also if you want to get better you should try to improve your aim becouse thats very important in mediums

lord_chipmonk #15 Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32183 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
Personally I think of it as a fat light tank and all that entails.

Frankenstein_42 #16 Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:12 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8023 battles
  • [GTI-O] GTI-O
btw write to me ingame if you want to learn more

Bexleyheath #17 Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:46 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2651 battles
  • [K0RV] K0RV
It was inhumanly decent of you to actually look at the replay and give me actual feedback. Buy Im too embarassed about my lack of skills to actually harass you ingame for now.  :ohmy:

Frankenstein_42 #18 Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8023 battles
  • [GTI-O] GTI-O

View PostBexleyheath, on 08 May 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

It was inhumanly decent of you to actually look at the replay and give me actual feedback. Buy Im too embarassed about my lack of skills to actually harass you ingame for now.  :ohmy:

i dont care becouse if think if i tell you what to do you arer prob. better than some other players of the team but its your choice

Edited by Frankenstein_42, 10 May 2018 - 10:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users