Frontline - Tips and Tricks

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

OneSock #1 Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32710 battles
  • [FUB4R] FUB4R

Patch day tomorrow bringing the new Frontline Mode.

I thought I'd start a thread for tips and tricks based on my experience on test server.

General desription of the mode can be found in the 1.0.1 release video:

https://worldoftanks...ate101-is-here/

Here are my tips:

1. Capturing/defending the cap points is more important than farming damage. Interestingly, hitting a vehicle in the cap does NOT reduce the cap counter. you actually need to kill a tank to stop it capping.

2. The first set of cap points favour HTs and MTs, less so LTs.

3. The second set of cap points favour LTs and MTs as they are more open and rely more on vision.

4. The final objectives favour HTs/TDs more certainly for defenders.

5. Pillbox Final objective targets:

Front: don't bother shooting it with AP, APCR, or HEAT; you'll never do damage to its 2000mm! thick armour.

Sides: are 165mm thick. All but the weakest guns should be able to penetrate this.

Rear: the prime target at 70mm thick. 15cm HE will be able to penetrate this for large amounts of damage.

6. Repair points replenish gold ammo for no cost, but beware shooting gold ammo, if you get killed often after using all your prem ammo you could lose a lot of credits. (i.e. if your tank is repaired in the garage you pick up the full cost).

7. Consider using large repair and health kits. On most of my tier 8s I run small repair and health kits. On front line mode I found multiple module and crew damage was frequent from a single hit. I don't know if this was due to Frontline inherently more likely to wreck your modules/crew or maybe GOLD ammo tends to do more damage to modules crew ? (a lot of gold is fired on test server).

8. Keep an eye on your tank respawn indicator/timer. If you die twice in short time frame you could find yourself sitting in the sin bin waiting to get back into the game. Better to hide up or be much more cautious, than out of the game for a few minutes.

Have fun.

Edited by OneSock, 03 May 2018 - 09:16 AM.

the_nebuchadnezzar #2 Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 43825 battles
No one gives a *edited* about this game mode. Another try from WG that will have the same "succes" as the Historical Battles. It's not the first time we saw this flag/repair/airstrikes thing but players reject it already. People come here to play the traditional 15 vs 15 random battles. All other variations just don't feel right.  

Edited by NickMustaine, 03 May 2018 - 01:16 PM.
Inappropriate language

Denisian #3 Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:46 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7015 battles
  • [VIVUS] VIVUS

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 02 May 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

No one gives a *edited* about this game mode. Another try from WG that will have the same "succes" as the Historical Battles. It's not the first time we saw this flag/repair/airstrikes thing but players reject it already. People come here to play the traditional 15 vs 15 random battles. All other variations just don't feel right.  

It mostly depends on the rewards. Might be fun the first few times, but I expect that it will turn into a tedious grind if it takes too long to rank up.

Bulldog_Drummond #4 Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:53 PM

General

• Player
  • 27869 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Tip #9

Don't touch FrontLine with a bargepole as it is sure to be just as useless as all the other new modes introduced, all of which have been total failures.

arthurwellsley #5 Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:05 PM

Major

• Player
  • 50512 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostOneSock, on 02 May 2018 - 07:27 PM, said:

Patch day tomorrow bringing the new Frontline Mode.

I thought I'd start a thread for tips and tricks based on my experience on test server.

General desription of the mode can be found in the 1.0.1 release video:

https://worldoftanks...ate101-is-here/

Here are my tips:

1. Capturing/defending the cap points is more important than farming damage. Interestingly, hitting a vehicle in the cap does NOT reduce the cap counter. you actually need to kill a tank to stop it capping.

2. The first set of cap points favour HTs and MTs, less so LTs.

3. The second set of cap points favour LTs and MTs as they are more open and rely more on vision.

4. The final objectives favour HTs/TDs more certainly for defenders.

5. Although attackers are supposed to shoot pill-boxes in the BACK to damage them, I've seen a RHM shooting up into it from the side, rather than rear. Maybe a bug, who knows.

6. Repair points replenish gold ammo for no cost, but beware shooting gold ammo, if you get killed often after using all your prem ammo you could lose a lot of credits. (i.e. if your tank is repaired in the garage you pick up the full cost).

7. Consider using large repair and health kits. On most of my tier 8s I run small repair and health kits. On front line mode I found multiple module and crew damage was frequent from a single hit. I don't know if this was due to Frontline inherently more likely to wreck your modules/crew or maybe GOLD ammo tends to do more damage to modules crew ? (a lot of gold is fired on test server).

8. Keep an eye on your tank respawn indicator/timer. If you die twice in short time frame you could find yourself sitting in the sin bin waiting to get back into the game. Better to hide up or be much more cautious, than out of the game for a few minutes.

Have fun.

I have to say that I disagree with quite alot of the above.

On the test server at least the exp gain seemed good, while the silver cost seemed very high (I was spamming premium shells, but I was hitting 45/48 or so per match)

I only used M26 Pershing, T-44, Pantera, and STA-1. The first three had bond equipment on vert stab, rammer, optics, all four had 6 perk crews.

Capturing the capture points is best done by heavy tanks or very well armoured tds.

Mediums and lighter tds can play the flanks farming damage into the other team to allow the central push into the cap heavies to either have less defenders to meet head on, or if defenders to smash away the attackers hp before they even reach the cap zone.

The maps shrink and it is extremely difficult to play vision games even with mediums well above 445 metres and full camo. Therefore given the small size of the maps light tanks are a liability on most teams. spgs are the obvious ...

I ran large kits on all four tanks. I run large kits on all my tanks on the standard server as well as I have alot of silver and am never short.

I never died quickly twice so I am not sure about not having a tank to play in, or having to wait more than a few seconds for a re-spawn.

There are thirty tiers in the new mode for rewards. I played six matches on test server and got to tier V. The early rewards are very low.

I posted the rewards for tiers III and V in this thread;

http://forum.worldof...__fromsearch__1

Defence of final objectives you can play vision games but by then it's too late, your team has lost and all you are doing is farming damage off the enemy prior to the inevitable loss.

If you ran a premium tank through this (I did not), even spamming premium rounds in a medium you might make a profit. A Lowe could certain make silver, but the essence of the mode seems to be good exp per battle.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 02 May 2018 - 09:07 PM.

gunslingerXXX #6 Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9988 battles

The rank system in game gives a nice multiplier to the xp, thats the main reason to play.

I'm not sute yet if farming dmg or capping gives more rank points, but I did notice alot of teammembers NOT rushing in to try and reset cap. Frontline also feels a bit campy, as leading the charge/defence often gets you killed and low ranks.

What I really dislike, and made me rage-quit several times is the extra arty in form of combat reserves... sooo stupid!

Junglist_ #7 Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35135 battles

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 02 May 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

Tip #9

Don't touch FrontLine with a bargepole as it is sure to be just as useless as all the other new modes introduced, all of which have been total failures.

Exactly, who wants to avoid constant tier 10 games whilst playing tier 8s I especially love facing tanks like 268v4.

And god forbid trying out something new and adding new modes or features to the game if only I could play Mines on 2012 graphics whole day.

Gtfo bulldog make some more topics about you sealclubbing in tier 5 tanks instead maybe that way you get banned again

Bulldog_Drummond #8 Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:43 PM

General

• Player
  • 27869 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostJunglist_, on 02 May 2018 - 08:36 PM, said:

Exactly, who wants to avoid constant tier 10 games whilst playing tier 8s I especially love facing tanks like 268v4.

And god forbid trying out something new and adding new modes or features to the game if only I could play Mines on 2012 graphics whole day.

Gtfo bulldog make some more topics about you sealclubbing in tier 5 tanks instead maybe that way you get banned again

Thank you for your valued feedback.  Have a nice day!

WindSplitter1 #9 Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:48 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14332 battles
  • [RYNO] RYNO

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 02 May 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

No one gives a *edited* about this game mode. - I do. So speak for yourself

Another try from WG that will have the same "succes" as the Historical Battles. - Don't know that mode. But judging by its name alone I can see why it failed

It's not the first time we saw this flag/repair/airstrikes thing but players reject it already. - Which players? Die-hards/purists like you?

People come here to play the traditional 15 vs 15 random battles.- Hell no. I'd play Frontline, CW, and SH 'till I drop. I would rather, than having to play the dreaded random battles, where the meta now are TDs and 1 X 29, where 15 have to die. Again, speak for yourself

All other variations just don't feel right.  -To you, maybe. And purists of course... Once more, speak for yourself

TL;DR Speak for yourself.

WG's biggest mistakes with Frontline are

1. Not making it permanent
  2. Not making it like CW where you can capture and lose bases and vehicle locks for destruction/player lives.

Tier VIII needs a drain to channel some of its tanks. This is perfect as it is quite interesting.

Nishi_Kinuyo #10 Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:13 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 6985 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostOneSock, on 02 May 2018 - 08:27 PM, said:

5. Although attackers are supposed to shoot pill-boxes in the BACK to damage them, I've seen a RHM shooting up into it from the side, rather than rear. Maybe a bug, who knows.

The different sides of the pillboxes have different armour values:

Front: don't bother shooting it with AP, APCR, or HEAT; you'll never do damage to its ¡2000mm! thick armour.

Sides: are 165mm thick. All but the weakest guns should be able to penetrate this.

Rear: the prime target at 70mm thick. 15cm HE will be able to penetrate this for large amounts of damage.

Assuming, of course, that the other damage rule doesn't apply to penetrating HE shots.

Namely: HE shells do 50% damage to it. Apparently regardless of which side you hit.

Due to the pillboxes being rather large targets (or so I presume), long-range bombardment from artillery or an O-Ho should do decent damage to it.

That's 550 damage from a G.W. Tiger P, to 455 damage from an O-Ho.

Spurtung #11 Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:43 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 60179 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostOneSock, on 02 May 2018 - 09:27 PM, said:

Who knows? Only whoever reads?

Block Quote

Pillboxes

1. These are the main objectives for the attacking team.
  2. Durability of each pillbox is 3,500 HPs.
  3. They can be destroyed with shells fired by players.
  4. Ultimate frontal armor of 2,000 mm.
  5. Side armor of 165 mm.
  6. The rear is the most vulnerable part of the pillboxes (70 mm).
  7. HE shells cause 50% of their damage to the pillboxes. 

the_nebuchadnezzar #12 Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 43825 battles

View PostWindSplitter1, on 02 May 2018 - 08:48 PM, said:

TL;DR Speak for yourself.

WG's biggest mistakes with Frontline are

1. Not making it permanent
  2. Not making it like CW where you can capture and lose bases and vehicle locks for destruction/player lives.

Tier VIII needs a drain to channel some of its tanks. This is perfect as it is quite interesting.

I can see you missed alot of things in WoT. This type of event was tried before: Firestorm - Domination&SteelHunt. A big failure that will remain in history for the infamous T22 reward tank, for which many top players went on and rigged the game. So, before you go and try to talk something, at least do a little search before. 

HeidenSieker #13 Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:48 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostJunglist_, on 02 May 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

... make some more topics about you sealclubbing in tier 5 tanks

So what's T10 if not seal clubbing, and what's any very good player apart from a sealclubber. So pfffffft.

pagandk #14 Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:03 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38010 battles
I always preferred random, but in current state (always being bottom tier), I'm definately looking forward to frontlines.

Spek_en_Bonen #15 Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:06 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 31494 battles

Is this a random mode, like the big maps we have now?

Or do we actually select this frontline mode without risking getting into a 8-9-10 regular battle?

:(

Edited by Spek_en_Bonen, 03 May 2018 - 01:00 PM.

OneSock #16 Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:17 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32710 battles
  • [FUB4R] FUB4R
you select the battle mode.

SirTogII #17 Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46418 battles
  • [REQT] REQT
Definitely giving this a shot. Anything that offers a new take on the game is good. Also think it’s a mode that can work well for tanks, unlike a lot of previous attempts.

Szatanshow #18 Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:53 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23169 battles
I want to see repair and ammo bills after battle ... if its like it was on SB  at one point .(didn't have time to play on test) .then its not even worth the time to play it

Edited by Szatanshow, 03 May 2018 - 10:01 AM.

ExistanceUK #19 Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 14120 battles

From playing it on the test server I found it's really hard/nearly impossible to win as the defenders, the respawn system and map favour the attackers too much. 

Edited by ExistanceUK, 03 May 2018 - 10:00 AM.

OneSock #20 Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32710 battles
  • [FUB4R] FUB4R

View PostSzatanshow, on 03 May 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

I want to see repair and ammo bills after battle ... if its like it was on SB  at one point ..then its not even worth the time to play it

I found this largely depends on how careful you are with re-supply.

Like I said above, if you shoot a lot of gold and don't re-fill using to repair points, you will lose a LOT of credits if your tank explodes and it re-stocked in garage.

On the other hand if you mostly shoot AP and are careful with using the re-supply, you can turn a reasonable profit (especially if using a premium).

I had no problems.

View PostExistanceUK, on 03 May 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

From playing it on the test server I found it's really hard/nearly impossible to win as the defenders, the respawn system and map favour the attackers too much. 

I saw matches go both ways. Even on one occasion we were basically spawn killing the attackers.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Botond66