So that's it for tier 8? Almost always gonna be bottom tier?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

Poll: So that's it for tier 8? Almost always gonna be bottom tier? (190 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Is tier 8 still fun?

1. It's been better but it's still fun. (32 votes [16.84%])

Percentage of vote: 16.84%

2. It's not fun. (140 votes [73.68%])

Percentage of vote: 73.68%

3. It's still fun. (18 votes [9.47%])

Percentage of vote: 9.47%

Vote Hide poll

Alezul #1 Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38412 battles

So everyone is just ok with this miserable experience of 3/5/7? It seems to me like this should be the most important thing discussed but seems like everyone kinda doesn't care anymore.

I know i'm late to the party with this change but i was thinking something will be done about it by now. Tier 8 was the most fun and balanced tier a long time ago. 

Even my preferential mm tanks meet their +1 tier enemies almost every match.

How is this fun for people? How is this ok to butcher the tier with the most expensive real money tanks? How can people grind modules or credits when half the enemies you see can murder you with ease?

The most i can hope for is all tanks being same tier, otherwise it's just tier 9 and 10. I know tier 6 exists, i play them from time to time but i just can't see any in my tier 8. Why even have +2 mm then? Go +1 and be done with it.

lnfernaI #2 Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

Major

• Player
  • 27248 battles
  • [ALLGE] ALLGE

just play tiers ranging from 3-7 until they nerf the obj.268v4 in a productive direction

playing tier 8 right now just guarantees that you might find at least one of them in the opposing team,so... yeah.

Unless you're in a T8PMM premium,like the JT88 or IS-6.

Strappster #3 Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

General

• Player
  • 23643 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I played three battles in a row last night with my Prosecco where I was top tier in a 3/5/7. While the most notable thing about that was my surprise at seeing it, it could be taken as a sign of improvement on the way (I like to think positive, it's much more relaxing than being negative all the time).

clanmcwood #4 Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22105 battles
  • [-VIC-] -VIC-

View PostStrappster, on 03 May 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

I played three battles in a row last night with my Prosecco where I was top tier in a 3/5/7. While the most notable thing about that was my surprise at seeing it, it could be taken as a sign of improvement on the way (I like to think positive, it's much more relaxing than being negative all the time).

Nah they are just keeping it fluffy for all the new cornetto drivers out there, they havnt flipped the "we have made enough money" switch yet

Simeon85 #5 Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 1097 battles

It's the same for all tiers, play tier 6 and you'll be in mostly tier 8 games, it's 3-5-7 template MM, it's fundamentally stupid to have it as a priority because having only 3 top tiers means that the bottom tier spots need to be filled the most often, so bottom tiers get dragged into game after game of -2 MM. 

It needs to go, not only does it make you get loads of bottom tier games but having only 3 top tiers basically means your game is decided by whether you get the competent top tiers or the idiot top tiers, or you get the OP top tier tanks or the weak top tier tanks. Cos you know having like a Defender against a Tiger 2 is super balanced and great fun for all those tier 6s as the Defender just RRRs, right clicks, left clicks to win the game.

Same at tier 8, get Obj. 268 4 and 430U as enemy top tiers whilst your team gets a Grille 15 and an AMX 30b, GG game over. Having 3 top tier tanks means too much of the team power is resting in just 3 tanks. 

The idea was sound, having more bottom tier tanks to face when you are bottom tier, but in practice it just doesn't work, I'd rather be the only tier 8 in a tier 10 game I think these days at least with that I knew I'd get 40% plus top tier games and having 1-2 bad tier 10s didn't meant the game was instantly lost.  Had a game the other day where we had a 42% WR IS7 as our tier 10 heavy, the enemy team gets a 54% 705A player, our IS7 does one shot of damage, goes to a stupid position and dies, their 705A dominates the game with 5k damage, that's 50% of the teams tier 10s (because the 3rd tier 10 was arty which doesn't count) and it's a coin flip whether all your teams power is either good or useless, get useless and GG, have a fun game supporting an IS7 that averages 500 damage per game. 

3-5-7 needs to go. Change it to 5-5-5 IMO and make the priority lower, so all one tier and 5-10 games are priority over it. 

lnfernaI #6 Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:37 AM

Major

• Player
  • 27248 battles
  • [ALLGE] ALLGE

View PostSimeon85, on 03 May 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

It's the same for all tiers, play tier 6 and you'll be in mostly tier 8 games, it's 3-5-7 template MM, it's fundamentally stupid to have it as a priority because having only 3 top tiers means that the bottom tier spots need to be filled the most often, so bottom tiers get dragged into game after game of -2 MM. 

It needs to go, not only does it make you get loads of bottom tier games but having only 3 top tiers basically means your game is decided by whether you get the competent top tiers or the idiot top tiers, or you get the OP top tier tanks or the weak top tier tanks. Cos you know having like a Defender against a Tiger 2 is super balanced and great fun for all those tier 6s as the Defender just RRRs, right clicks, left clicks to win the game.

Same at tier 8, get Obj. 268 4 and 430U as enemy top tiers whilst your team gets a Grille 15 and an AMX 30b, GG game over. Having 3 top tier tanks means too much of the team power is resting in just 3 tanks. 

The idea was sound, having more bottom tier tanks to face when you are bottom tier, but in practice it just doesn't work, I'd rather be the only tier 8 in a tier 10 game I think these days at least with that I knew I'd get 40% plus top tier games and having 1-2 bad tier 10s didn't meant the game was instantly lost.  Had a game the other day where we had a 42% WR IS7 as our tier 10 heavy, the enemy team gets a 54% 705A player, our IS7 does one shot of damage, goes to a stupid position and dies, their 705A dominates the game with 5k damage, that's 50% of the teams tier 10s (because the 3rd tier 10 was arty which doesn't count) and it's a coin flip whether all your teams power is either good or useless, get useless and GG, have a fun game supporting an IS7 that averages 500 damage per game. 

3-5-7 needs to go. Change it to 5-5-5 IMO and make the priority lower, so all one tier and 5-10 games are priority over it. 

the point of tier 8 being in bottom,is that you're matched against broken garbage of the russian tanks.

it can be endured if you're in a good tier 4 / 6 tank,such as the matilda or cromwell for example.

edit: by making good plays.

but when it comes to oppose the broken crap,there's literally nothing you can do. it's like trying to escape wind. 

you might try to run or fly,but it'll still be there,that's just the way tier 10 is right now.

Edited by lnfernaI, 03 May 2018 - 11:41 AM.

Ryn1k #7 Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1587 battles

I got 3 tanks on tier 9-10 now in total, and I got to say it's easymode playing those tiers compared to 8. If someone claims otherwise they're just lying.

Tier 8 is the *edited* spot to be at in the game currently, though 7 isn't a lot better. This is because T10 is so overpowered compared to 8, and 9 is almost equally powerful compared to 7.

Edited by NickMustaine, 04 May 2018 - 10:46 AM.
Inappropriate language

Alezul #8 Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38412 battles

View PostSimeon85, on 03 May 2018 - 07:35 AM, said:

The idea was sound, having more bottom tier tanks to face when you are bottom tier, but in practice it just doesn't work, I'd rather be the only tier 8 in a tier 10 game

I took a year or more break from the game and when i came back and i read about that mm change i was super happy. It does sound good on paper. Sadly it means going from one garbage game, one awesome game and one decent game to...kinda crap every single match.

I also rather have those "lol i'm only tier 8 in tier 10 full games" because next match i was surely gonna get a normal game. Not so anymore it seems.

lnfernaI #9 Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

Major

• Player
  • 27248 battles
  • [ALLGE] ALLGE

View PostRyn1k, on 03 May 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

I got 3 tanks on tier 9-10 now in total, and I got to say it's easymode playing those tiers compared to 8. If someone claims otherwise they're just lying.

I can claim otherwise,but I claim that you're actually spouting nonsense.

FatigueGalaxy #10 Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:52 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 18589 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

3-5-7 is not bad in itself. It just happens way too often. MM should prioritize other templates but for some reason, it doesn't.

WG doesn't do anything about the situation because tier 8 premiums keep selling and 3-5-7 keeps balance in the economy. Imagine credit farming potential if you'd be top tier or in +1 MM all the time. I probably make 1/3 more credits if I have a streak of top tier or tier 9 battles. Credit income like this was fine before because we got content patches with new tanks to buy every few months but now it would flood game with credits which is bad both for balance and WG's wallet.

Homer_J #11 Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostRyn1k, on 03 May 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

Tier X has always been the worst tier to play, 3-5-7 just made it worse because when you are one of the 3 you have to perform.  I don't play a video game to be always at my peak performance, if I wanted that kind of life I would be an olympic athlete.

thestaggy #12 Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14740 battles

I was messing about with my alt account last night and I played 9 tier 6 battles in a row.

Top tier - Once

Mid tier - Twice

Bottom tier - 6 times, including 4 in a row.

Seems like tier 8s were having a nice time last night. 

Geno1isme #13 Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40105 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostAlezul, on 03 May 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

So everyone is just ok with this miserable experience of 3/5/7? It seems to me like this should be the most important thing discussed but seems like everyone kinda doesn't care anymore.

It's been discussed to death, back, and to death again already, ever since the initial plan was announced. Everyone knows the template-MM is total crap and broken by design, it's plain obvious just looking at the numbers. I've told the (now) WG development director straight in the face at Gamescom last year (the guy that told us that TVP is a hard counter for the Defender), and he basically just shrugged it off.

But it suits WGs agenda to force people towards T10 tanks (to waste credits there, so people get premium account+tanks or Fort Knox packages to earn them back). That's why WG keeps saying that the MM is working fine, because from their perspective it is. They're not gonna make any substantial changes to it, just add more disfunctional nonsense like role-matching.

Edited by Geno1isme, 03 May 2018 - 12:06 PM.

Thejagdpanther #14 Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33068 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS

It's also a problem of statistics.

You have 46,6% of play a bottom tier match and 20% of be a top tier (excluding of course the lowest and highest tiers).

Edited by Thejagdpanther, 03 May 2018 - 12:04 PM.

Geno1isme #15 Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40105 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostThejagdpanther, on 03 May 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

It's also a problem of statistics.

You have 46,6% of play a bottom tier match and 20% of be a top tier (excluding of course the lowest and highest tiers).

That's your milkmaid statistics. Reality is even worse as tiers aren't distributed evenly.

Thejagdpanther #16 Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33068 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS
If you read the numbers, IT'S worse.

Alezul #17 Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38412 battles

View PostGeno1isme, on 03 May 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

But it suits WGs agenda to force people towards T10 tanks (to waste credits there, so people get premium account+tanks or Fort Knox packages to earn them back).

But i don't get this. After my long break i bought two tier 8 premiums. Had i known the miserable state of the mm, i would have never spent a dime. Why are people inclined to buy tier 8 premiums now? It's easier to just quit the game than to spend money, grind a miserable game and then have a few good ones at higher tier before you need to go with the premium.

Rati_Festa #18 Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 40225 battles

View PostAlezul, on 03 May 2018 - 12:18 PM, said:

But i don't get this. After my long break i bought two tier 8 premiums. Had i known the miserable state of the mm, i would have never spent a dime. Why are people inclined to buy tier 8 premiums now? It's easier to just quit the game than to spend money, grind a miserable game and then have a few good ones at higher tier before you need to go with the premium.

WG in their infinite wisdom introduced new T8 Premiums ( and the odd standard - OHO , VK ) that could cope better with the MM of 3/5/7 what they failed to appreciated was the amount of pissed off customers like me who have an IS6 and a CDC in my garage that are now literally useless. What really infuriates me with it is they didn't test it or make it temporary and then review the data, perhaps they have learnt some lessons as they intend to do that with Frontline mode. The situation that Frontline mode is optional though so you can ignore it if you wish and that the random MM affects every single player is the big problem though.

They need to tests things properly, they are abysmal at that area of development.

On the current 1,01 release the opening line to the Province map says "You spoke and we listened: The Italian map returns! It now enough space to accommodate Tier IV-X tanks"

It's just laughable... I have never once seen a desperate call for Province to be returned on the forum, but I have seen a million posts asking for the MM to be fixed.... WG listen to that you ignorant fools.

Edited by Rati_Festa, 03 May 2018 - 12:48 PM.

Indy_Bones #19 Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28391 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

The current MM system is just bloody awful.

I've been working on different tier 8's recently, the O-Ho, the UDES and the Emil 1, which also happens to be the order of their ability and usefulness the majority of the time!

Bottom tier in an O-Ho isn't that bad (ok it's not ideal, but not awful), being bottom tier in a UDES is ok about 20% of the time where you actually get a map you can use it effectively on but you'll easily get murdered in 1-2 shots by Type 5's and 268 v4's, and the Emil is just a steaming pile of dung regardless of where it is...

The problem is that the MM system means you spend 70% of your time as bottom tier, which is fine in my O-Ho, and utterly pointless in the Emil.

I'd far rather have the old system back, because at least for every unbalanced game I was bottom tier with only 1-2 other players, I'd have an equal amount of games as mid or top tier to make up for this, this 3-5-7 system means I'm at the *edited* end of the stick the majority of the time, occasionally get mid-tier and rarely ever see top tier (especially if platooning).

Just an awful, awful change that needed reverting months ago and even more so now with the broken OP tanks that WG keeps foisting on us...

Edited by NickMustaine, 04 May 2018 - 10:47 AM.
Inappropriate language

Cobra6 #20 Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16295 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

3-5-7 should just be knee-capped and left in a ditch to bleed out a lonely death, it's a bad matchmaking template ensuring 7 to 12 tanks will have a bad time.

5-10 should be the default MM template and if that can't be done, full same tier MM should be the next choice.

Cobra 6

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users