KV-5 UP undepowered

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Gardar7 #1 Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:22 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22683 battles
  • [VKG-] VKG-

As the title says, I would like to mention this old fella from the ancient time of WoT, the KV-5. It is huge, now almost every tier 8 tanks can penetrate its turret from the front and it has a pathetic gun with a whopping 167mm penetration. It was never a good tank, but now it is totally useless. It feels like driving a huge, slow papertank and it can hurt only paper tanks. As an opponent it is just an xp-pinata, a "happy meal". 

I know that WG mentioned that they will "rebalance" it but I feel myself scammed as patches are coming constantly and they don't even touch it. I bought it years ago when it was the only Soviet premium tier 8 and now it is just a memento of a very bad joke by WG. In my opinion the best would be a refund in gold, like it was with the Superpershing back then.

Spurtung #2 Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:25 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 60137 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

1. They didn't say they would do it on this patch, so what's the surprise here?

2. If they didn't make any changes to it, how can you feel scammed? Do you not have exactly what you paid for?

Gardar7 #3 Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:49 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22683 battles
  • [VKG-] VKG-

View PostSpurtung, on 04 May 2018 - 05:25 AM, said:

1. They didn't say they would do it on this patch, so what's the surprise here?

2. If they didn't make any changes to it, how can you feel scammed? Do you not have exactly what you paid for?

Back then it was a competitive tank which could pen most of the tanks at weak point. Nowadays with the constant armour buffs and with the superheavies it is barely usable. Not the tank changed, but the environment. When I bought it, its armour meant something and although its gun was not the best, now it is totally useless and frustrating - don't forget that it is not really possible to flank with it due to its speed. It is very frustrating to play with. This is why I feel myself scammed.

leggasiini #4 Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:54 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 9661 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

They said that they have some changes planned. The KV-5 isn't really as easy to rework as it seems like, because the tank used to be extremely powerful when played properly around 1.5 years ago. It has a lot of strong points with only a few drawbacks, but those few drawbacks, namely the penetration, is really crippling. If you buff the pen too much, the tank will be too powerful.

Just be patient. They said that the changes are coming soon to the supertest.

fwhaatpiraat #5 Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:59 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44139 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Roflstopming medium tanks and tier 7s <3

Edited by fwhaatpiraat, 04 May 2018 - 08:59 AM.

Gardar7 #6 Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22683 battles
  • [VKG-] VKG-

View Postleggasiini, on 04 May 2018 - 05:54 AM, said:

They said that they have some changes planned. The KV-5 isn't really as easy to rework as it seems like, because the tank used to be extremely powerful when played properly around 1.5 years ago. It has a lot of strong points with only a few drawbacks, but those few drawbacks, namely the penetration, is really crippling. If you buff the pen too much, the tank will be too powerful.

Thank you for your proper answer. Hopefully they will solve this problem with the tank. 

But I don't think it would be OP with better penetration values, as its armour is not that good anymore, as I wrote, many of its opponent have no problem penetrating its turret from the front, even with regular ammo. I don't mention the huge weakspots on the front, as it was always like that and it is possible to hide it with sidescraping and hull-down positions.

Bulldog_Drummond #7 Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:05 AM

General

• Player
  • 27844 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postleggasiini, on 04 May 2018 - 07:54 AM, said:

I used to play the KV-5 a lot, but have given it a break for the last year or two on the basis that it looked as though it had been power-creeped.

However, a few weeks ago I tried a dozen games in it (all solo) and found it just as much fun, and just as effective, as I had remembered.  It remains capable of blocking huge amounts of damage, especially as it is now so rare that few opponents know how to deal with it.  I will admit that this time round I didn't bother with AP and just loaded premium rounds.  Although even the APCR pen is a bit wet it is workable, and the DPM is good.  I also had a fair number of kills on high tier Soviet heavies simply because the KV-5 is so tall that it can easily shoot straight through the upper plate on their turret.

Gardar7 #8 Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:09 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22683 battles
  • [VKG-] VKG-

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 04 May 2018 - 05:59 AM, said:

Roflstopming medium tanks and tier 7s <3

With the current MM? Good for you.

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 04 May 2018 - 06:05 AM, said:

I used to play the KV-5 a lot, but have given it a break for the last year or two on the basis that it looked as though it had been power-creeped.

However, a few weeks ago I tried a dozen games in it (all solo) and found it just as much fun, and just as effective, as I had remembered.  It remains capable of blocking huge amounts of damage, especially as it is now so rare that few opponents know how to deal with it.  I will admit that this time round I didn't bother with AP and just loaded premium rounds.  Although even the APCR pen is a bit wet it is workable, and the DPM is good.  I also had a fair number of kills on high tier Soviet heavies simply because the KV-5 is so tall that it can easily shoot straight through the upper plate on their turret.

Yes, with premium ammo it can be fun. But then what is the point of a premium tank? Making money - this is what you lose with the expensive ammo.

leggasiini #9 Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:18 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 9661 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostGardar7, on 04 May 2018 - 10:11 AM, said:

Yes, with premium ammo it can be fun. But then what is the point of a premium tank? Making money - this is what you lose with the expensive ammo.

I play the KV-5, if I happen to play it, for memes + crew training, not for credits. If I actually want to make credits, I just play other premiums. Even with heavy APCR spam, though, the KV-5 isn't as fun as it used to be.

fwhaatpiraat #10 Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44139 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostGardar7, on 04 May 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

With the current MM? Good for you.

No, in the past ofcourse. Really loved playing it and it looks really cool imo. 

But vs patriots, libertes and defenders it can't do much ofcourse. Well in reality, often those tanks still get penned because most people play like monkeys, but still. If a capable palyer is playing those tanks you can do close to noting. 

But even without those tanks, many other tanks got buffed through time as well (t32 hull, many t8 mediums, t9 mediums, etc.) so the kv-5 got powercreeped anyway since its stats stayed more or less the same as 5 years ago.

Gardar7 #11 Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22683 battles
  • [VKG-] VKG-

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 04 May 2018 - 06:20 AM, said:

No, in the past ofcourse. Really loved playing it and it looks really cool imo. 

But vs patriots, libertes and defenders it can't do much ofcourse. Well in reality, often those tanks still get penned because most people play like monkeys, but still. If a capable palyer is playing those tanks you can do close to noting. 

But even without those tanks, many other tanks got buffed through time as well (t32 hull, many t8 mediums, t9 mediums, etc.) so the kv-5 got powercreeped anyway since its stats stayed more or less the same as 5 years ago.

Yes, I agree. Sorry for my misunderstanding. The powercreep is a real problem for these veteran tanks.

Yaccay #12 Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31559 battles

Brace yourself.

Plenty of other pathces will arrive without any changes to KV5.

Deep_Convection #13 Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:46 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1183 battles
A WG employee on NA said that they aren't going to be rushing this.  They want to make sure they get it right.

Geno1isme #14 Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:45 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40053 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostGardar7, on 04 May 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

But I don't think it would be OP with better penetration values, as its armour is not that good anymore, as I wrote, many of its opponent have no problem penetrating its turret from the front, even with regular ammo. I don't mention the huge weakspots on the front, as it was always like that and it is possible to hide it with sidescraping and hull-down positions.

Thing is that it has very high DPM (third highest of all T8 heavies after Caernarvon and O-Ho) and a massive HP pool (highest at T8), gun-handling isn't that bad either and for a super-heavy it is also reasonably mobile. So if you simply buff the penetration to competetive levels of 210-230mm it would probably become a bit too strong compared to other T8 heavies (and its low pricetag).

If you nerf the reload as compensation on the other hand it becomes a bad KV-4 clone and looses quite a bit of it's uniqueness.

Bulldog_Drummond #15 Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:50 PM

General

• Player
  • 27844 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostGardar7, on 04 May 2018 - 08:11 AM, said:

I played the KV-5 because I enjoyed it, and on the basis of more recent games I still do.  As I have a premium account it almost invariably generates net income even if I fire only premium ammo.

Having played 1700 games in it, I find playing it instinctive, and get better results in it than my other Tier 8 premiums.  The combination of reasonable speed (much faster than it looks) and armour (average 1500 blocked) means that it is capable of carrying.  Being very rare these days also helps a lot.

As I have no grinds, no interest in Tier x, and rarely buy new high level tanks, my pool of silver builds up rapidly whatever I do.

View PostGeno1isme, on 04 May 2018 - 01:45 PM, said:

Thing is that it has very high DPM (third highest of all T8 heavies after Caernarvon and O-Ho) and a massive HP pool (highest at T8), gun-handling isn't that bad either and for a super-heavy it is also reasonably mobile. So if you simply buff the penetration to competetive levels of 210-230mm it would probably become a bit too strong compared to other T8 heavies (and its low pricetag).

If you nerf the reload as compensation on the other hand it becomes a bad KV-4 clone and looses quite a bit of it's uniqueness.

Yes, that DPM will crucify the unwary.  And you can assume +1500 average to that already high HP pool.

Shaade_Silentpaw #16 Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:43 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21117 battles

Why would they buff a premium tank that is not currently for sale?

They have more important things to worry about, like making sure there's a steady stream of new premium tanks.

Balc0ra #17 Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:49 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62814 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Considering the two options they have for it. And that one of the options will result in a refund option for it's owners. I do get why they take their time.

But.... since Russian tank changes are appearing on super test. It might be for a future balanced focused patch.. for the Russians.

Alidore #18 Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:45 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 10652 battles
  • [EMB3R] EMB3R
No buffs for the Matilda Black Prince either, damn you WG!!!

PauI #19 Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:33 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 24441 battles
  • [BV-S] BV-S
No worries you will have more rasha next patches to make u forget about kv5 and the issue of pref mm tanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users