Province Map, classic case of Wargaming getting it wrong?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

VorpalChicken #1 Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:11 AM

Private

• Player
  • 31292 battles
  • [-RLD-] -RLD-
So the new Province map seems to be horribly bad, just a 4 corridor shooting gallery without the need for any real skill other than super heavy armour or camping, why introduce such a rubbish map, it never worked before and was removed for a good reason. Thoughts anyone?

Simeon85 #2 Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:16 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

People need to learn how to play it, I think there are worst maps out there and actually a lot of view range knowledge and awareness is needed to play the map properly because of the cross-fire opportunities.

The real disappointment for me about the map is the fact the middle is a complete useless death zone and then a lot of the available area of the map is impassable rocks and mountains, so the actual size of the map is super small.

But basically fast mediums and lights need to cross from their spawn to the other side, then carefully use their view range and the bushes to spot the campers, who generally get shot from the other side, it's a north/south fight, where both flanks can actually interact which is rare in WOTs maps.

Only thing is they should have given more flanking routes on either side, more of those patchs that run around the sides because heavies and TDs can dig themselves into corners that you can't flank. 

Bora_BOOM #3 Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 23159 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

Any map with a dip in the middle generally makes the game campy on sides. That’s why we have lost Highway, Erlenberg got changed...

And now Province is back.

:amazed:

They certainly had much better maps to choose and rework. But what we know about it, we are only playing the game...

Elmer_Fud #4 Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 1702 battles
Only played it the once since it was reintroduced and just felt it was another WG fail. Corridors either side of a death zone in the middle... Fantastic game planning....Not.

Aimless #5 Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:51 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 23456 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostVorpalChicken, on 04 May 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

So the new Province map seems to be horribly bad, just a 4 corridor shooting gallery without the need for any real skill other than super heavy armour or camping, why introduce such a rubbish map, it never worked before and was removed for a good reason. Thoughts anyone?

4 corridors in only one map? That's what I call a great improvement when it comes to WG so... :)

sabre_ferret #6 Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:58 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 19604 battles
  • [BC-X] BC-X
I've had two games so far and the first was a bottom tier dash across which failed, getting tracked and engine blown up, just before I was in cover.  The second game was in my Obj-263 and this time I defended my side, fighting the meds that had crossed in to the perch overlooking our side of the map.  Once they were dealt with we had to try and dig out all their TDs with the scores level and time running out.  Our full health E5 decided to camp at the back rather than push, and so over I went.  I could have prevailed, but ran out of time (partly because I was a bit lost and went up a blind alley!)   I can see why people don't like it, but I'm enjoying it being back...

NoobySkooby #7 Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:03 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14217 battles
Not played it yet but I did have some training room fun with some clan mates, didn't learn much but we did dind out that you cannot climb up the steps and that you can balance a Panzer 1c on top of a type 5 heavy:trollface:

Gardar7 #8 Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22928 battles
  • [VKG-] VKG-

I really don't understand why was it necessary to bring back this map. It was bad, now it is bigger, but it is bad the same way. It is the same as El Halluf, except that this has no protected nothern corridor for fighting. Just the campfest on both sides and the death valley. 

If WG would like to bring back old maps, then why not the ones which were actually good? Like Pearl river or Dragon ridge. Or just make totally new ones. Really, it feels like just a bunch of baboons control the "map department" at WG.

TungstenHitman #9 Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:20 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23202 battles
Better than city maps anyway. El Haluf with more bush, 1970's levels of bush and some buildings because why not. It's OOOOOOOoooooook map

Enforcer1975 #10 Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20760 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

The old Province back then when i joined was already bad for the low tiers....whoever went middle basically always got nailed and the game was campy as hell since everybody was basically just staying on their side of the map....now it's "bigger" but only tier 4+. Tier 10 games are so much fun. But hey...let's remove Widepark and introduce this pos instead....

TheOddRogue #11 Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 10036 battles
Played once, was awful experience. In general it strikes me as an awful tiny map. Will see how I feel about it after more games. 

Balc0ra #12 Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66629 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

It's to early yet. As most ppl are not used to the new map. But so far it seems to be worse IMO. But fast agile lights on this map, camp the middle and farm free assist. I've had 5K+ assist on the 4 times my ELC even 90 has been on it going low in the valley and taking the center bush spotting slow pokes going down hill. Even my CDA 105 got 4K assist and 3K damage camping low there before an enemy med came up around me. Not many ppl use those bushes yet vs the base line bushes.

But so far on high tiers it's a slow map. Super heavies camp with the TD's, and meds cross over. On mid tiers it's less camping and more rushing.

Dr_ownape #13 Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:45 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 44158 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

but it doesn't seem bigger.

Had scout (T6) and heavy (T9) so far, camped in heavy and farmed across the map but thankfully had decetn Lorr that pushed and spotted.

In my Type game i went over and proxy spotted from under the ridge, was good but lost

will see over time i think

HidesHisFace #14 Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17975 battles

My feeling? You have three options on this map.

You stay in cover - you are useless.

You poke to shoot the other side, you get instantly messed up by crap that was already camping there.

You poke your own lane and end up in an artillery shooting gallery (the fact that approaches to the other side can be instantly covered with surprisingly accurate artillery blindfire doesn't help either - I lost half of my health without even being spotted).

So much fun... Basically, no matter what you do, you get stuck in a horribly boring poking match.

If you are a medium tank, you are screwed - there are no really viable ways of flanking that aren't equally easy to cover with ton of tank destroyer and heavy tanks, so vehicles with little armour have no real way of playing this mess.

Edited by HidesHisFace, 04 May 2018 - 01:04 PM.

Balc0ra #15 Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66629 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostDr_ownape, on 04 May 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

Had scout (T6) and heavy (T9) so far, camped in heavy and farmed across the map but thankfully had decetn Lorr that pushed and spotted.

In my Type game i went over and proxy spotted from under the ridge, was good but lost

Depends on how you look at it. It was tier 1 to 3 before. Most tanks had 300m view range at best vs crew etc. Besides the padding Pak 40 with 400m base that is. Now most tanks have 445 base there with optics on that map as it goes to tier X. So the few meters added to the middle don't help much when you can still spot all the base campers from your bush the second they fire. As it was before.

OIias_of_Sunhillow #16 Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:09 PM

Major

• Player
  • 24707 battles

Well, maybe give it a chance.

We get this every time there's a change on WoT.

Yeah, sometimes it's not such a great improvement, but sometimes they do get it right.

I've only played the new Province once, and we got creamed. But I didn't immediately hate the map because of the loss.

There aren't many that aren't 'corridor-maps', it's the nature of tank gaming, I guess.

The cross-map sniping, is the thing to deal with on Province.

Soifon99 #17 Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:21 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 36288 battles
  • [KITTY] KITTY

View PostVorpalChicken, on 04 May 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

yes, let's complain about a map that has been in the game for not even 24 hours..  ffs man, play it more then the one time you did now.. and then go cry about it..

_CrownVictoria_ #18 Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 24478 battles
  • [REBLS] REBLS
Tbh I don't really care. Pearl River wasn't really balanced, that's why I liked it. Province gives me good feelings, just because the old glory is back a little bit. I think you have become 1000x1000 instead of 850x850. Right now you can still spot for yourself instead of lights and mediums that are spotting for you. Also the middle of is more like a deadzone. It feels like El Halluf without a decent heavy corner. Maybe this would work better, making a kind of corner

Soifon99 #19 Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 36288 battles
  • [KITTY] KITTY

View PostDr_ownape, on 04 May 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

camping in a heavy, and want a paper auto loader to scout and push for you..  :sceptic:

steview162 #20 Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:30 PM

Brigadier

• Clan Diplomat
  • 34510 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-
It forces some to scout to win. If you camp the majority of time you lose. I liked the original. I like this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users