• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Redcap375 #1 Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:06 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1325 battles
  • [-CG-] -CG-

Chaps,

I remember installing this game many moons ago when it first came out.  Back then the game was new with few lines and few premium.  I cant recall if APCR rounds even existed back then but cant be sure.  I remember liking the game but as soon as World or Warships came out i jumped ship.  Always been more of a warship lover than tanks (airfix and the like :hiding:).  I recall the WOT tactics and teamwork was none-existent back then but it was a laugh at least.  

Well a few of my clan mates are starting to play WOT and one of them, who has like alot of tanks and have played the game since when i first did, told me "the game has....Changed mate"

Well....No S***.  What the hell has this game turned into to.  Where to start:

1) Penetration is a dirty word

WOWS

Every ship can damage another, period.  A tier 3 Destroyer can damage a tier 10 Battleship if the MM would allow it.  Its not going to do very well don't get me wrong, but it will damage it and if it's not carfull, out right sink it.  In WOWS there is no GOLD Ammunition that you have to buy else you cant damage another ship. Please read the last sentence again so it can sink in.

WOT

Cant pen things S*** bust if you don't have the pounds to do it.  And even if you do (As i found out yesterday) you STILL cant pen things.  Brought 2 tanks as the sales were going on and as it's free game (in principle)  i don't mind £20.  The Churchill 3 (tier 5) and the SU 144 (tier 7).  I was took aback that the caliber of an anti tank gun (SU 144) couldn't pen WITH APCR rounds the SIDE of a tier 8 premium tank driven by a rank 1 driver. That only a +1 tier above tank and an anti tank couldn't do zip.

That's one of many many examples i have found regarding Penetration.  WG is like "You wanna pen? Then pay the money to either 1) Grind a better gun 2) Buy a OP premum or 3) Buy APCR rounds.  I recall loving the flack 88 on the Nashorn and suprised to find out it no longer pens the tanks that it used to do.  Unless you cough up the silver money.

WOWS does have slight pen issues but they are less frequent. A Destroyers  AP rounds cant pen a same tier Battleship for instance but all other Battleships can pen the same tier Battleships, with some of them penning 3+ tier above.  Regarding the Destoyers problem he can either switch to torpedoes and that hurt and outright sink Anything in the game but you only need to switch to HE rounds (Which cost nothing) and could burn a ship to death.  So a small humble Destoryer can still damage a massive Battleship

WOT? Not a chance.  If you cant pen you cant pen.  An anti tank and a Heavy tank are the only two left then the heavy has already won because I CANT EVEN HURT HIM??? With an ANTI TANK GUN?? Wwwwhhhhaaattt?

It's the same as a Battleship that wouldn't be able to even hurt a Cruiser. Completely wrong.

2) APCR (£££;)

WOWS

Doesnt have it , period. In fact you have multiple ways to kill things without money making schemes like APCR.

WOT

How people on this forum didn't go on strike or linch mob WG on this change then god only knows. Having to pay silver to be able to pen SOME tanks is blind robbery and breaks the fairness of the game completely.  How did you let this one go though lads?

So you need a premium account to sustain APCR rounds and the gun (grind/Premium) to use them? I bet WG could believe their luck when this came in and how much money it must have earnt them. Because anyone who thinks APCR rounds are "free" (cant imagine many of you tho) are so naive.  Even tho it cost silver only, its a means to an end and forces the player to make more money to sustain it.  Wow this is wrong.  Thank god WOWS doesn't have it. 

3) Premium Tanks 

WOWS

All game like this has Premium ships/Tanks/Weapons that either give a player the edge, earn more XP/Silver or brings a different way to use a ship/Tank.

HMS Belfast and USS Sapian are two examples in WOWS that are OP.  But...And here is the big but, both ships can be sunk by a silver line ship quite easy if the player is a noob.  Most Premium ships have the same caliber shells as the Silver line and Armour to an extent.  All cant be hurt by any ship and normally has the same gun caliber.  Most are different either by the setup (Carriers) or gimmicks (Cruisers and Destroyers). 

WOT

This makes a mockery of Play to win games.  You have a better tank if you buy premium.  Outright better Camo, gun caliber, Armour. Take my SU 144 for example.  It causes damage the silver line can only dream of, it has outright better camo rating and for a Anti tank, better Armour than say the American equivalent or even it;s own nation silver line equivalent . 

Spotting

WOWS

You can fire over a hill and the enemy cant see where it is coming from.  Why would he? If he cant see the thing then he cant shot him so it's fair right?  The USSS Atlanta is a great example of this as well as the USS Cleveland. 

WOT

An Anti tank behind a WOODLINE of trees completely covered.  I fire a shot and all of a sudden i'm a smoldering heap of metal. ???? . What? Did he see my drivers crafty cigarette of the drivers hatch or something? I recall this never used to be the case.  You had to find the tank or use a light tank to spot him up i remember before.  Now its fire and take your chance. 

Captain Skills

WOWS

You have them and can take a while to build up. But they take less time to do so by far

WOT

So let me get this straight.  I have to have a 110% captain and then 100% 6th sense skill to be able to use it? What a crock of £££.  In WOWS you can get the same skill ON THE FIRST SKILL LINE! which can take like what? 10 games to achieve?  Can someone do the maths on how long it would take someone to get both 110% and 100% skill without premium account? or premium Tank to do it in?  You can get in within a 30 mins on WOWS.

Summary

Will i contiune to play it? Cause i will because my clan mates do but i know its a corrupt game.  Will i spend another penny on the game? No a chance on earth and those that do really need to stop feeding this money monster.  Popping peasants in silver tanks without a Pot to P*** in is bad taste.  Those that pay for everything gives a player SO MUCH OF AN ADVANTAGE.  WOWS is a hell of alot more equal.  It's far from perfect but my god is it more "Balanced" than this game.  Being able to hurt anything is a start.

I expect all of the above and will still play it but i wanted to put it across from someone looking in how much this game is so MONEY DRIVEN and so unbalanced.

Those that are unicoms and pay lot and lots of money wont care at all, why would they.  They will still gun down peasants in their droves and own the battles. One with 7 kills yesterday and guess what? Couldn't pen any of this Armour.  Go figger. 

IMHO lads.  i want to like the game and did back then but this is how it has turned out? Such a shame for gaming.

Edited by Redcap375, 06 May 2018 - 12:45 AM.

azakow #2 Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 77214 battles

No matter what, you are a WG customer, either here or there.

In case you are not a customer, you  are a populator of the server, here or there.

Welcome back populator.

Edited by azakow, 05 May 2018 - 09:16 AM.

Enforcer1975 #3 Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20973 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG
You know you are comparing apples with oranges? Those are two completely different games. Also you just have over 1kk games....you need to l2p first.

Denisian #4 Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:18 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 7230 battles
  • [VIVUS] VIVUS

View PostEnforcer1975, on 05 May 2018 - 08:16 AM, said:

You know you are comparing apples with oranges? Those are two completely different games. Also you just have over 1kk games....you need to l2p first.

I would say that 1 million games is more than enough to learn the game in most cases /s

Frostilicus #5 Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:18 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 22489 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-

I play both games, accept them for what they are, you don't have to spend money if you don't want to - it's been proven a few times that a good player can do well without spending a penny in game.

Personally, neither game is representative of reality, so trying to compare them is a waste of time

The one thing I really like in warships is PvE mode, watching players use completely unrealistic tactics in warships offends an old sailor like me greatly - as I have no frame of reference for tank warfare I don't care about the jinking in and out of cover and wiggly turret moves that these better players do ;)

HugSeal #6 Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:29 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 22717 battles
  • [SWEC] SWEC

All this shows is how you are rather ignorant around penetration mechanics. You whine about not being able to pen a tier 8 tank through the side with 175 pen. That is all down to you and your aim. It's like shooting a small caliber HE at a BB torp belt in wows, all youll get are shatters or VERY mino damage. Just like shooting HE would in WoT.

WoWs doesn't have prem ammo. It does however have way more prem consumables, flags, camo and whatnot. Not to mention the brokenly OP prems like the Belfast or GC. The SU12244 you mentioned can easily be killed by enemy non prem tanks, I don't see your argumetns. Both games ahve brokenly OP prems.

Regarding spotting. You just showed how little you understand the spotting mechanics. As ignorant as you are about it you really shouldn't have too strong opinions about them.

You argument about captain skills is just a nonargumnet. Not only are you factually wrong but it is simply a matter of skills taking different length of time to grind. But you automatically make the argument that shorter=better which simply isn't true.

Al in all you know very little of actualgame mechanics and have a bunch of nonarguments. Surprising.

DracheimFlug #7 Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 9127 battles

View PostRedcap375, on 05 May 2018 - 09:06 AM, said:

Chaps,

I remember installing this game many moons ago when it first came out.  Back then the game was new with few lines and few premium.  I cant recall if APCR rounds even existed back then but cant be sure.  I remember liking the game but as soon as World or Warships came out i jumped ship.  Always been more of a warship lover than tanks (airfix and the like :hiding:).  I recall the tactics and teamwork was none-existent back then but it was a laugh at least.  

I recall the tactics and teamwork was none-existent back then but it was a laugh at least.  

Well a few of my clan mates are starting to play WOT and one of them, who has like alot of tanks and have played the game since when i first did, told me "the game has....Changed mate"

Well....No S***.  What the hell has this game turned into to.  Where to start:

1) Penetration is a dirty word

WOWS

Every ship can damage another, period.  A tier 3 Destroyer can damage a tier 10 Battleship if the MM would allow it.  Its not going to do very well don't get me wrong, but it will damage it and if it's not carfull, out right sink it.  In WOWS there is no GOLD Ammunition that you have to buy else you cant damage another ship. Please read the last sentence again so it can sink in.

WOT

Cant pen things S*** bust if you don't have the pounds to do it.  And even if you do (As i found out yesterday) you STILL cant pen things.  Brought 2 tanks as the sales were going on and as it's free game (in principle)  i don't mind £20.  The Churchill 3 (tier 5) and the SU 144 (tier 7).  I was took aback that the caliber of an anti tank gun (SU 144) couldn't pen WITH APCR rounds the SIDE of a tier 8 premium tank driven by a rank 1 driver. That only a +1 tier above tank and an anti tank couldn't do zip.

That's one of many many examples i have found regarding Penetration.  WG is like "You wanna pen? Then pay the money to either 1) Grind a better gun 2) Buy a OP premum or 3) Buy APCR rounds.  I recall loving the flack 88 on the Nashorn and suprised to find out it no longer pens the tanks that it used to do.  Unless you cough up the silver money.

WOWS does have slight pen issues but they are less frequent. A Destroyers  AP rounds cant pen a same tier Battleship for instance but all other Battleships can pen the same tier Battleships, with some of them penning 3+ tier above.  Regarding the Destoyers problem he can either switch to torpedoes and that hurt and outright sink Anything in the game but you only need to switch to HE rounds (Which cost nothing) and could burn a ship to death.  So a small humble Destoryer can still damage a massive Battleship

WOT? Not a chance.  If you cant pen you cant pen.  An anti tank and a Heavy tank are the only two left then the heavy has already won because I CANT EVEN HURT HIM??? With an ANTI TANK GUN?? Wwwwhhhhaaattt?

It's the same as a Battleship that wouldn't be able to even hurt a Cruiser. Completely wrong.

2) APCR (£££;)

WOWS

Doesnt have it , period. In fact you have multiple ways to kill things without money making schemes like APCR.

WOT

How people on this forum didn't go on strike or linch mob WG on this change then god only knows. Having to pay silver to be able to pen SOME tanks is blind robbery and breaks the fairness of the game completely.  How did you let this one go though lads?

So you need a premium account to sustain APCR rounds and the gun (grind/Premium) to use them? I bet WG could believe their luck when this came in and how much money it must have earnt them. Because anyone who thinks APCR rounds are "free" (cant imagine many of you tho) are so naive.  Even tho it cost silver only, its a means to an end and forces the player to make more money to sustain it.  Wow this is wrong.  Thank god WOWS doesn't have it. 

3) Premium Tanks 

WOWS

All game like this has Premium ships/Tanks/Weapons that either give a player the edge, earn more XP/Silver or brings a different way to use a ship/Tank.

HMS Belfast and USS Sapian are two examples in WOWS that are OP.  But...And here is the big but, both ships can be sunk by a silver line ship quite easy if the player is a noob.  Most Premium ships have the same caliber shells as the Silver line and Armour to an extent.  All cant be hurt by any ship and normally has the same gun caliber.  Most are different either by the setup (Carriers) or gimmicks (Cruisers and Destroyers). 

WOT

This makes a mockery of Play to win games.  You have a better tank if you buy premium.  Outright better Camo, gun caliber, Armour. Take my SU 144 for example.  It causes damage the silver line can only dream of, it has outright better camo rating and for a Anti tank, better Armour than say the American equivalent or even it;s own nation silver line equivalent . 

Spotting

WOWS

You can fire over a hill and the enemy cant see where it is coming from.  Why would he? If he cant see the thing then he cant shot him so it's fair right?  The USSS Atlanta is a great example of this as well as the USS Cleveland. 

WOT

An Anti tank behind a WOODLINE of trees completely covered.  I fire a shot and all of a sudden i'm a smoldering heap of metal. ???? . What? Did he see my drivers crafty cigarette of the drivers hatch or something? I recall this never used to be the case.  You had to find the tank or use a light tank to spot him up i remember before.  Now its fire and take your chance. 

Captain Skills

WOWS

You have them and can take a while to build up. But they take less time to do so by far

WOT

So let me get this straight.  I have to have a 110% captain and then 100% 6th sense skill to be able to use it? What a crock of £££.  In WOWS you can get the same skill ON THE FIRST SKILL LINE! which can take like what? 10 games to achieve?  Can someone do the maths on how long it would take someone to get both 110% and 100% skill without premium account? or premium Tank to do it in?  You can get in within a 30 mins on WOWS.

Summary

Will i contiune to play it? Cause i will because my clan mates do but i know its a corrupt game.  Will i spend another penny on the game? No a chance on earth and those that do really need to stop feeding this money monster.  Popping peasants in silver tanks without a Pot to P*** in is bad taste.  Those that pay for everything gives a player SO MUCH OF AN ADVANTAGE.  WOWS is a hell of alot more equal.  It's far from perfect but my god is it more "Balanced" than this game.  Being able to hurt anything is a start.

I expect all of the above and will still play it but i wanted to put it across from someone looking in how much this game is so MONEY DRIVEN and so unbalanced.

Those that are unicoms and pay lot and lots of money wont care at all, why would they.  They will still gun down peasants in their droves and own the battles. One with 7 kills yesterday and guess what? Couldn't pen any of this Armour.  Go figger. 

IMHO lads.  i want to like the game and did back then but this is how it has turned out? Such a shame for gaming.

The tier 3 DD hypothetically damaging a tier 10 battleship would either be doing so using HE (which many here seem to consider a bad thing in WoT) or torpedoes. Good luck to the tier 3 DD getting close enough to do the latter with short range torps vs the BB's secondaries.

All shells cost silver in WoT. Shells cost you in WoWs too. You just don't usually see the costs.

Meanwhile, why should a DD's AP pen a same tier battleship? You do realize that DD's have popguns, right? Same with tanks. Not all tanks carry the same calibre guns.

Most WoT premium tanks are not considered anywhere near that good. The SU 122 44 you mention is better compared to the Belfast as it is an exception, better than most premiums. And frankly, you are arguing that there should be no good reason to spend money on the game, despite it not being a charity. 

Changes to being spotted on firing are a couple years old now, and if anything, people have been complaining more about the opposite, about being killed by invisible tanks. It is funny that you do not seem to be similarly complaining about the severe nerfs to DD stealth in WoWs though (which by the way are one of the reasons I play that game less than I used to do). Even regular ships are spotted more on firing these days.

As for 6th, the Devs keep talking about making it a free skill for all tank commanders.

Summary: Given your arguments it sounds like you would not spend much on this game regardless. You are arguing against everything and anything that might give you reason to do so.

Simeon85 #8 Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:40 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

My main issue with WOWs is skill is a minor factor in that game, especially for most classes, the actual combat between ships is basically an RNG determined DPM race, you shoot them, they shoot you, rinse repeat, unless you can use things like islands or smoke to avoid being spotted. 

DDs have a higher skill floor, but overall IMO the gameplay of that game is pretty limited, you can do everything right and not do much, then the guy next to you triple citadels a ship from 20km thanks to RNG. 

WOTs gameplay at a base level is just fundamentally better, more complex and requires more skill, knowledge awareness etc. You have many more ways of outplaying your opponents, this is probably why many of us are still here playing the game, the core gameplay, despite WGs various attempts to ruin it through dumb mechanics, bad map design, OP tanks etc. 

juonimies #9 Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:48 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44489 battles
  • [KARJU] KARJU

View PostEnforcer1975, on 05 May 2018 - 08:16 AM, said:

What a surprise... ..."noob player" card used. 

cracktrackflak #10 Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15167 battles
  • [ARRSE] ARRSE

WoT and WoWS are nothing compared to WG's other title - Total War Arena. Thats a real shambles: wild unit balance swings, alpha-type game experience, built-in industrial scale seal-clubbing*

*Unit capabilities massively ramp up with commander skill level, yet a tier 10 commander can be used in a tier 4 game. If you are new to the game and just starting to grind, then progress is effectively barred because your units are simply wiped out time and again by players with an enormous power advantage.

kaneloon #11 Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:16 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28696 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC

View Postjuonimies, on 05 May 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

What a surprise... ..."noob player" card used. 

yeah ;)

New comers sharing their point of view is always interesting, since after some years of endless minor changes you get used to them.

But the tone given to it by him is provocative : you don't come to a game's forum saying the game they played for hours and hours is shitty without inducing some retaliation.

TankkiPoju #12 Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21008 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

Doesn't WoWS have even boat loads more RNG than WoT?

The shells go really all over the place and citadel hits are just dice rolls.

Nishi_Kinuyo #13 Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:26 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7872 battles
  • [GUP] GUP
Think that the OP forgot to mention the current meta in WoWS with BBs redlining for most of the match firing HE at maxrange targets. :facepalm:

DracheimFlug #14 Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 9127 battles

View PostTankkiPoju, on 05 May 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

The shells go really all over the place and citadel hits are just dice rolls.

Citadel hits are a matter of knowing where to aim, and while guns are inaccurate at long ranges, they are a lot better at mid to close ranges. There is actually skill to it. If anything I would say citadel hits are too easy, especially on cruisers. Unless something changed relatively recently, it is still (mostly) world of battleships.... 

Karasu_Hidesuke #15 Posted 05 May 2018 - 11:02 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16170 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
Having played both games (badly) and as it's often stated that they both lack in the realism department, I can't help wondering which of the two either benefits or suffers more as a result of WG's chosen approach.

arthurwellsley #16 Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 52133 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

Never trust the word of a Monkey. (The OP describes himself as a "Redcap" which is often what the Royal Military Police refer to themselves as. The rest of us referred to them as Monkeys, Filth, or Meat Heads).

1. Penetration - Is a clean word. World of Tanks requires more game "skill" than World of Warships. The player (a) needs to actively aim to penetrate, and (b) needs to have some knowledge of ingame strategies about what tank to shoot where. None of that is necessary in World of Warships, because they are different games aimed at a different player base, and operate in their own niche. WG would not wish to make them too similar otherwise one would take to many paying customers from the other.

2. APCR - actually some tanks shot APCR as their standard round, and some tanks have HEAT or HESH as their premium round. Lets simplify it to say that World of Tanks has three different rounds per vehicle. One of which costs more silver. A good skilled player will cycle through those three rounds as needed (HE rounds against light tanks, or paper tds will not only cause alot more damage, but because the round costs less often than the standard round will make even more profit). OP you might be losing silver or not making much profit, but you can be re-assured that more knowledgeable and skilled players than yourself can fairly easily run World of Tanks making quite alot of silver. Some players would say that World of Tanks should follow another Russian tank game and make it four types of round to choose from each tank. WG have not implemented this as it takes even more player brain power to then work out which round to use.

3. Premium Tanks - SerB said at the beginning of World of Tanks that premium tanks should be slightly inferior to a fully elited equivalent tech tree tank. The only difference is that they make more silver. When WG have stuck to this rule of thumb, World of Tanks has been balanced alright. It's only when an Over Powered (that's what OP means in this context) premium tank is better than the equivalent tech tree tank that WG fall into error. The classic example of this is the Defender/Object 252U having better armour and more alpha than the IS3.

As to your assertion "Take my SU 144 for example.  It causes damage the silver line can only dream of", this really shows you lack of in depth knowledge of World of Tanks, and perhaps why you should not be commenting on it at the moment until you have played more games. SU-144-44 has a 122 mm D-25S gun that does 390/390/530 it has a dpm of 2925. Meanwhile in the tech tree in the same tier (VII) there is the Sturer Emil which has the 1.28 cm Kanone 40 which hits for 490 and has dpm of 2131. There are a few other tech tree tds that hit for 390.

Spotting - Players were getting annoyed at their tanks being destroyed by hidden tds. WG acknowledged that in rl when a large calibre tank gun fires, milliseconds after ignition the projectile reaches the muzzle (the end of the gun, sometimes also referred to as the muzzle face). The projectile is ejected at high velocity towards it's target. The gases that remain in the barrel are then free to expand in the axial direction, and they follow the projectile out of the muzzle (sometimes referred to as "muzzle flash" ). So when you say "What? Did he see my drivers crafty cigarette of the drivers hatch or something? I recall this never used to be the case", so it's the sheet of flame and smoke coming out of the end of the tank gun that alerts everyone else to it's presence. Orginially in World of Tanks it did not reduce camo value, but YES it has changed to reduce camo value after firing

Captain Skills/ Perks/ Six Sense - this is perhaps your best point. WG decided in World of Warships this perk would be available automatically. It is not in World of Tanks and has to be earnt for each crew. This is a shame, and should be changed.

World of Warships has a much smaller player base than World of Tanks, but nonetheless it has been a success for WG. Long may it continue. World of Tanks has a much larger player base and continues to turn a profit for WG. Personally having tried both I prefer tanks, but each to their own, and I am happy for both to co-exist.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 05 May 2018 - 12:07 PM.

Aikl #17 Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:21 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26054 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

How's the income model of WoWs? I haven't played it enough to know for sure, but if the average net income (minus ammo costs) for ships is lower, it doesn't really matter. 

I believe the reason I disliked WoWs is roughly the same as why I dislike WoT. Matchmaking, certain tank/ship classes and lack of tactical options - which all-in-all makes it more of a slot machine than a game in the end.

View Postarthurwellsley, on 05 May 2018 - 11:02 AM, said:

(...)Orginially in World of Tanks it did not reduce camo value, but YES it has changed to reduce camo value after firing(...)

Really? Gotta wonder how I could stand playing the game - my impression when I began playing (common sense) was that firing reduced camo. I only remember the nerf to after-shot camo values around 2013 (?) - which pre-nerf was definitely lower than non-shooting camo.

Strappster #18 Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:50 PM

General

• Player
  • 25649 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostRedcap375, on 05 May 2018 - 08:06 AM, said:

snipped for brevity >

What would you say if a WoT player posted an evaluation of Warboats in terms of Tanks in that forum?

Yeah, that.

View PostHugSeal, on 05 May 2018 - 08:29 AM, said:

WoWs doesn't have prem ammo. It does however have way more prem consumables, flags, camo and whatnot.

What's more, you can only buy the flags for cash from the premium shop, there's no gold or credit option. Prem consumables also refresh faster than standard ones and those with limited charges get an extra charge.

I believe an option to purchase flags for gold is on the way but it's limited to economic flags (i.e. those that increase xp or credit rewards), the ones that make a difference to gameplay are still only available in limited numbers from crates or in the premium shop.

View PostTankkiPoju, on 05 May 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

Only on dispersion. Penetration and damage are fixed values, though a shell can shatter or bounce for no damage. HE shells have a chance to set the target on fire regardless of whether they deliver damage on impact or not. Sounds good until you realise that the minimum standard dispersion on the most accurate guns is still close to 100m.

View PostAikl, on 05 May 2018 - 12:21 PM, said:

How's the income model of WoWs? I haven't played it enough to know for sure, but if the average net income (minus ammo costs) for ships is lower, it doesn't really matter. 

Doesn't really compare. You might earn 250k credits profit from a decent mid-tier battle but ships and equipment cost millions of credits and equipment costs increase as you climb the tiers and open up more slots. Tier 10 ships are around 20m credits, depending on ship type.

It's also balanced differently; if you're willing to pay 5,000 gold for perm camo, you can turn a tier 10 ship into a psuedo-premium (fixed captain, -50% post-battle repair cost, +20% credits earned) so good players don't have to drop tiers to earn credits.

There's no option to use ship xp for extra training once a ship is elite. It continues to build up on the ship and the only way to access it is to pay gold.

DracheimFlug #19 Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:17 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 9127 battles

View Postarthurwellsley, on 05 May 2018 - 12:02 PM, said:

That is a modern TD firing. 

Here is a Sherman firing (around 2:00)

And here is a Hellcat (around 0:30, but a much shorter video) :

Note that there is a flash with the Hellcat, but only visible in a still, presumably with a very fast shutter setting. 

Here is a compilation of German flak 88's firing:

Balc0ra #20 Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67397 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Comparing WOWS and WOT is like comparing Pizza and ice cream. It's food that you eat. But not really the same.

1: Penetration

Damage and pen mechanics for the game differ greatly. I mean sure you can damage anything with anything there.  But taking off 200 hp with each hit, or 2700 if you hit the citadel with a tier 3 with AP vs a tier X that has 97 000 HP is not really comparable to WOT. As with that low % taken off with each hit. You can compare it to a low caliber tank shooting HE vs a tier X tank. He might do 10 to 30 damage on the weakest side of the armor with each hit. So from a % aspects vs a tank that has 2000 HP. It will take him as long to kill the tier X as the tier 3 will in WOWS. And the tier X can kill him as fast too.. With one well placed salvo. As the tier X tank will vs a tier 3.

Then again ship guns are not puny 57mm either. As tier 3's still have bigger guns then tier X tanks have in this game. As tier III's have 140mm's, and tier X ships have 460mm guns. The shells are bigger then most low tier tanks. You can see why it's easier. And a 57mm gun vs a tier X HT won't do damage regardless. So you can see how that comparison is a bit.. daft. As ships fire in a arch like SPG's. Tanks don't. And can't hit the "deck" of the Maus at a downwards angle when standing on it's side. So thus a 57mm shell with 48 pen is not gonna do much vs 300+ mm of effective armor. No will his HE, as the shell can't dig deep enough into the armor to damage anything. A bit easier when you have a 140mm shell.

2: APCR

Again.. with the damage and pen mechanics WOWS has. No need for it. As you said, you do damage regardless. But doing 1% of his HP in damage with each salvo, is more or less like bouncing of a tank here. As it will make as little difference when your target returns fire. So even if you had gold ammo... It won't help much in WOWS.

3: Premium tanks

SU-122-44 that I suspect you meant? It has better camo vs his equal... since the other one has a 152mm gun that should let half the map know where you are when you fire it. The other tier 7 Russian TD has more armor, way more pen, bleeds less speed, and has way more potential damage as your's have little ammo tbh. Even the US one has way more pen and a more reliable gun. So I would not even call that... better or more OP then anything on tier 7 tbh. As the traded the gun and the dpm for bigger drawbacks vs most tier 7 TD's, inc pen to get that reliable damage in the current armor meta.

4: Spotting

Again... ships guns are like arty guns, and it's hard not to see 12 shells in the air. And here? You can still see arty tracers even if they are not spotted. As they fire in an arch. Tanks don't. Nor are they in the open water with scout planes from a cruiser hovering over them. So you can see how that differs when you fight in a forest with no areal recon etc? Or a destroyer with 10km view range on their flank. And you recall this was never the case? It was always the case. If you have less cover, or move in the open vs a target that has cover. Or has someone spotting for him that is not firing, and they sit 400m behind him in cover. You will still not spot them regardless.

But in WOWS in your BB and you take fire from 20km away that you don't see. Because 7km out there is a destroyer spotting you that is not firing at you. But even if you see their tracer. You don't see their direction, class, or anything to plot a firing course and know how much you should lead based on the speed etc. No need for that in WOT. So seeing the tracer would just render camo useless. As you can point and fire at the tracer. As it don't take 7 seconds for your salvo to get there. It takes less then a second. WOT console has that. You see tracers from un-spotted tanks. Half my kills there are on non spotted targets. No point even training on camo unless you want to scout. So having it the WOWS way..makes zero sense here.

5: Crew skills

Well WOT have been looking towards WOWS and their skill setup, and are considering a skill rework. WOT console already did with their latest rework. And uses their approach more. But.. you gotta consider a few factors here you fail to see. In WOWS you only have the one crew. And getting the skill points needed to get the survival skills on your BB is not quickly done either, as you need to level 8+ times to be effective. And it takes longer and longer for each level. But on a tier X tank you can have 6 crew members. All working on different skills. Or even the same one like repair to maximize the effect. So it would not be ideal if it took 10 battles to get that to 100% would it vs when you train 1 skill at the time.

As for 6th sense? What happens in WOT when you are spotted or take fire. You press your S key and go into cover in a second or two. In WOWS? You have to stop the ship, then reverse back behind the island. Takes what? 10+ seconds and 5 enemy salvos? Even longer if you turn and go around circling half the map. So you see why they added it to WOWS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users