What single attribute?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Best single attribute? (33 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 10 battles in order to participate this poll.

What is (in your opinion) the best single attribute to gain, to improve a persons game-play, across the board?

1. In depth knowlege of maps? (12 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. In depth knowledge of mechanics? (6 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. In depth knowledge of vehicle attributes, armour, gun pen etc? (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

4. In depth knowledge of Michael Wittmans exploits? (2 votes [6.06%])

5. In depth knowlege of game rigging, aimbot etc? (2 votes [6.06%])

6. Other: please enlighten us! (9 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Hide poll

mpf1959 #1 Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16513 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I realise that success in this game is likely by a combination of skills/knowledge and luck!

But, I would be interested to hear all opinions of what single attribute will improve a players game across the board, were they to attain it.

The voting choices are from my limited knowledge, but include "Other" that wiser heads (in possession of said other) may expound them to us.

Dead_in_30_seconds #2 Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2643 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Hi mate.

I think it's the ability to adapt to current battle situations

A lot of players know all of the above, it's when/if to apply them that is the hard part.

Laatikkomafia #3 Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 21820 battles
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P

Other:Situational awareness. Know where to be, when to leave and where not to be. Look at the minimap. 

From the list: In depth knowledge of vehicle attributes, armour, gun pen etc.

It really helps if you know most of the weakspots of the enemies, and have a rough estimation of their reload times and alpha damages.

Balc0ra #4 Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66533 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

All good points to know tbh. But if I had to pick one. The ability to learn from your mistakes. When you die, it's always your fault. Figure out what got you killed and how. And learn from it. As in you pushing on an enemy tank that is a 1 shot, but you got killed by his hidden support. As you did not know his TD's in base could hit you there. So you won't push out there again until you know where their TD's are.

Ask yourself this. What gets you killed more often of your points, when you die early in a match? Regardless of if you win or lose ofc. Is it rushing out, playing to passive? to aggressive? Not waiting for help? Staying in a 2 vs 8 when you know you can't hold it? Not knowing where to pen that one tank? As having map awareness or knowing weakspots etc is good, but if you keep doing the same mistakes when doing those things, and that gets you killed. Does it help? As in pushing forward to aim at the enemy weakspot, and you do bad trades instead. Or paying attention to the map, and knowing what is spotted and where they are to plan your route. But forgetting those that are not spotted yet etc.

Bordhaw #5 Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:03 PM

Major

• Player
  • 11684 battles

Map knowledge

Edited by Bordhaw, 06 May 2018 - 07:04 PM.

HeidenSieker #6 Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:20 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostLaatikkomafia, on 06 May 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

Other:Situational awareness. Know where to be, when to leave and where not to be.

If you don't know the maps, you cannot do those things....

Suurpolskija #7 Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:25 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

My choice wasn't available: map awareness. You keep keen eye on the game and how it progresses, you know strong spots on the map but more importantly know how your enemy thinks in any given situation and stay a step ahead. I think that is THE most important thing. To keep thinking every game and give yourself a chance to be creative and succeed. You won't do it every game but you should try.

It's of course important to know maps and the mechanics and weak spots and all that, too. It all adds up.

Jigabachi #8 Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17946 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Everything is important. You need to understand the mechanics and you need the knowledge about maps and tanks.

undutchable80 #9 Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:20 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 7728 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLaatikkomafia, on 06 May 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

Other:Situational awareness. Know where to be, when to leave and where not to be. Look at the minimap.

From the list: In depth knowledge of vehicle attributes, armour, gun pen etc.

It really helps if you know most of the weakspots of the enemies, and have a rough estimation of their reload times and alpha damages.

As a tomato / n00b myself I would think its situational awareness too. Map knowledge (where am I in relation to my teammates & enemy, where can I go to be of use), tank knowledge (my own, my team's and my enemy's in this current game), mechanics etc; all those combined is what, to me, defines what situational awareness is. Easier said then done, but its a work-in-progress for me. ;)

Keyhand #10 Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:51 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 61930 battles
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS
The ability to judge an unfolding game based on the setups and the minimap is the single most useful skill in this game.

marlboro80 #11 Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:13 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19505 battles
  • [DIE-T] DIE-T
There are 2 different types of skills.
Some you can learn, some you can’t, or only up a certain degree.

Map knowledge comes with time an experience, the more you play the more you explore the maps. Even a tomato will sooner or later know where to expect the enemy to be. The good talented player will see strong and weak positions, key areas and develop himself.

Knowledge about the tanks you play and the enemy can be learned but you actually have to be active yourself and look into forums, watch ingame stats, look on websites about weakspots etc.

Learning game mechanics like penetrating tanks, ammunition, how spotting works etc. here the same applies as above you have to invest time and act yourself or be taught by someone. But everybody can learn this.

Now you have something called situational awareness, this is actually the hardest one, because this includes all others above. With the knowledge above and a look on the minimap, the setup etc. you can do the right decisions that makes you more and more successful.

Edited by marlboro80, 07 May 2018 - 11:15 AM.

Evilier_than_Skeletor #12 Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18188 battles
  • [TSOP] TSOP

View PostKeyhand, on 07 May 2018 - 07:51 AM, said:

The ability to judge an unfolding game based on the setups and the minimap is the single most useful skill in this game.

Do you have any tips on how to improve in this?

mpf1959 #13 Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16513 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Thanks all that answered, of course the question is academic, because there is no doubt that it is a combination of skills and knowledge that make one a good player, but I am a curious type of fellow, and wanted to see if there was an overriding choice that folk would make.

I actually favour learning them maps myself, as I have noticed that the ones I know best, I do best on, I have a good idea of places I can start from, and try and develop a plan, with one eye on the mini-map. It all sounds great till I then pick a fight with a tank who's name I never know, T this or Object that, in my Tiger 1, that will invariably not penetrate the enemy tank, then in short order I'm a smoking wreck again!  :teethhappy:

marlboro80 #14 Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19505 battles
  • [DIE-T] DIE-T

View PostEvilier_than_Skeletor, on 07 May 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

Do you have any tips on how to improve in this?

This is really a thing of experience.

you have 30 seconds at the start of the game, use that time proper. 

Whats the map?

whats the starting position?

what tank am I using?

what tanks the enemy has?

top tier low tier?

if using XVM tomato team or not?

important positions to take are they reachable for me can I hold them?

am I platooning with friends?

if toptier can I Mark areas and carry the match, making others follow me? (Most not used thing is communicating in randoms. A simple click on minimap with information you will push there telling others may make better players follow you when they get what your intention is)

do you feel yourself able to lead? (Not everybody is a natural born leader, but as top tier heavy you are normally expected to do so.)

etc etc

those are a few questions you have to answer yourself at the start, based on the answers you maybe can create a matchplan.

You have to try to be the active part, make the enemy react. Acting is stronger then reacting.

make them play your game if possible.

are we in a good position to push the flank? Or is enemy superior? It’s situational awareness that makes you better.

Edited by marlboro80, 07 May 2018 - 01:34 PM.

kaneloon #15 Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:57 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28372 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC

Maps ... Mini map AND maxi maps.

I feel that all the other aspects you will learn by experience, even if you don't want to. For instance : obj 268v4 in approach : run to the other side of the map !!

Even the decision to when you should move, flank, and others you'll instinctively develop.

But if you don't know the protected paths, the good shooting spots, the places to spot from, etc : you lose your teeth.

Evilier_than_Skeletor #16 Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18188 battles
  • [TSOP] TSOP

View Postmarlboro80, on 07 May 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

This is really a thing of experience.

you have 30 seconds at the start of the game, use that time proper. 

Whats the map?

whats the starting position?

what tank am I using?

what tanks the enemy has?

top tier low tier?

if using XVM tomato team or not?

important positions to take are they reachable for me can I hold them?

am I platooning with friends?

if toptier can I Mark areas and carry the match, making others follow me? (Most not used thing is communicating in randoms. A simple click on minimap with information you will push there telling others may make better players follow you when they get what your intention is)

do you feel yourself able to lead? (Not everybody is a natural born leader, but as top tier heavy you are normally expected to do so.)

etc etc

those are a few questions you have to answer yourself at the start, based on the answers you maybe can create a matchplan.

You have to try to be the active part, make the enemy react. Acting is stronger then reacting.

make them play your game if possible.

are we in a good position to push the flank? Or is enemy superior? It’s situational awareness that makes you better.

Thank you for your reply. Very good points.

I was curious if Keyhand, as a super unicum has some kind of a "list" when looking at the map during battle. Like what's next to me -> how's the other flank ->???. And possibly some other routine when deciding what to do with that information.

Sessine #17 Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27110 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Basically you just do that all the time for all tanks. 

First you guess where they go then spots tell you how good the guess was. 

Then you watch how your local fight goes and what happens on the other side (or the beach or valley). If you win the first engagement you just have to choose the next best fight and do it again. This only works if you don't die and mobility is a plus.

Basically you have to know your first 3 choices and apply them constantly.

One way to train it to take one of your tanks , note the damage per game and then play to increase it (and the WR too but ignore this on short time scales). Play it as only one (or 1 preferably similar option to play if you messed up early). A tank with decent pen and mobility is best.  

SiliconSidewinder #18 Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:10 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 27713 battles

Dear TE I know very little about any of the things you have listed non the less my winrate is quiet okay.

I attribute this to my ability to dance.

silly?

no quiet serious, I am good at reading the movments of my "partner".

kaneloon #19 Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:36 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28372 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC

View PostSiliconSidewinder, on 07 May 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

Dear TE I know very little about any of the things you have listed non the less my winrate is quiet okay.

I attribute this to my ability to dance.

silly?

no quiet serious, I am good at reading the movments of my "partner".

Some people are naturally gifted with appropriate thinking. And some of those people can explain to others less gifted how to do it.

If you dance well you must have a good spacial feeling, so it will help you to be aware of your surroundings.

What dance do you like btw ?

K_A #20 Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:42 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13643 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Maps, game mechanics and vehicle attributes are all just the base knowledge pool. The main single attribute you need to become better is the ability to actually use that information in a meaningful way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users