Chat Bans?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Axelfoley666 #1 Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:34 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21936 battles
  • [TWD] TWD

Why do we have this option in game settings? Why do chat mods feel the need to flex their keyboard muscles and ban people for swearing? Why are chat mods never online patch day? I will answer the last 1, they know they will have to chat ban 90% of the community.

jack_timber #2 Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:52 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32373 battles

Why swear?

The English language is very eloquent. Therefore pick your replies carefully and broaden you vocabulary.

Funnily enough always saying this to grandkids....

Strappster #3 Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:54 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Because the game doesn't have an 18+ rating so it avoids accusations of exposing kiddies to the sort of language kiddies are most prone to use.

Tankyouverymuch2 #4 Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29635 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View Postjack_timber, on 06 May 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

Why swear?

The English language is very eloquent. Therefore pick your replies carefully and broaden you vocabulary.

Funnily enough always saying this to grandkids....

Ahh yes, and the best insult of all:

Dorander #5 Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:17 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17854 battles

Discussion about swearing aside, there are plenty ways to behave in inappropriate manners without using words that are on the setting filter. You can insult entire groups of people without using any typical curseword. You can spam. You can rage. You can hold an entire lecture in chat to distract people from gameplay.

The report function exists because if one person is consistently a twit, it's more reasonable to do something about that one person than to expect thousands of other players to have to blacklist him after being subjected so their verbal abuse.

wsatnutter #6 Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:24 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 24380 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

you play a game made by others with their rules. If you break them then EXPECT THE CONSEQUENCES

Jigabachi #7 Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAxelfoley666, on 06 May 2018 - 07:34 PM, said:

Why do chat mods feel the need to flex their keyboard muscles and ban people for swearing?

Better question: Why not?

Even better question: Why can't people just grow up and stop insulting each other over a stupid computergame?

HeidenSieker #8 Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:40 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostAxelfoley666, on 06 May 2018 - 07:34 PM, said:

Why do chat mods feel the need to flex their keyboard muscles and ban people for swearing?

Because it's offensive and many if not most do not like it (more likely 90% of the community do not like it than 90% do).

Your solution is simple. Don't be offensive. Don't swear. Don't break the rules.

Balc0ra #9 Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64272 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

If the setting was locked by default. And you could not turn it off. Then sure... I would get your first point. But it's not. So not everyone has it on. Thus they treat it as such. Then again, ppl have clever ways to get around that with spacing and punctuation between the letters.

And admins are not online 24/7 to watch every word written in general chat. I suspect WG don't pay them enough to do that. They are on and off there like you are.

Then again... why use general chat at all?

Shaade_Silentpaw #10 Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:01 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22014 battles

Do people even get punished for misbehaving in chat?

I really don't care about swearing, but I've reported plenty of kiddies for being racist, phobic, political and otherwise just being immature, counter-productive twats in chat.

I never really expect anything to come of the reports, but it would be nice to know it does happen at least sometimes...

Tipperty #11 Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:07 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19027 battles
You know if WG has a system that monitors swear or toxic words in chat and auto sensors the words. You would think they could implement a system that monitors chat and auto-bans people that are consistently toxic in chat, but you know (edit) logic.

Dorander #12 Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:39 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17854 battles

View PostShaade_Silentpaw, on 06 May 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

I really don't care about swearing, but I've reported plenty of kiddies for being racist, phobic, political and otherwise just being immature, counter-productive twats in chat.

I never really expect anything to come of the reports, but it would be nice to know it does happen at least sometimes...

Sometimes people come to the forum and admit/complain that they got chatbanned, so reporting appears to do something.

View PostTipperty, on 06 May 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

You know if WG has a system that monitors swear or toxic words in chat and auto sensors the words. You would think they could implement a system that monitors chat and auto-bans people that are consistently toxic in chat, but you know (edit) logic.

I'm unsure if you understand what you're actually comparing. The censor list is basically a function that compares the words you use to a list of cursewords and replaces them if needed, which is why you can get around it through "clever" use of spaces or other characters. A simple program can't interpret the language(s) people use and determine if it's toxic or not, you'd practically need an AI for that which can determine whether phrases are "toxic".

Von_Rimmer #13 Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:57 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23311 battles
  • [R0T] R0T

View PostShaade_Silentpaw, on 06 May 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

I don't believe it has made a blind bit of difference.

I have over the years reported some of the issues that you have pointed out, for which today pc plod would be knocking on your door were you to put that on social media let alone to a persons face. still see the "alleged" offenders playing the next day.

had a nasty piece of work harass me  yesterday in the garage after a battle. couldn't block him as the blacklist had failed( as does so many of the server operations)  made the kind of violent threats that would often have parents looking for a "rumble" and a baseball bat.

I've reported it, but I highly doubt that even WOT would bother to remove that obviously disturbed individual from the game ..

RamRaid90 #14 Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:18 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20549 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTipperty, on 06 May 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

It's not a system.

It's basic list, that stars out curse words from a pre determined bank. It isn't a monitor.

Asklepi0s #15 Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:39 AM

• 5666 battles
  • [WG_M] WG_M
We are in the chat everyday.
Probably you just didn't see us.
Please try to avoid creating non-constructive threads.
Thank you for understanding.
This thread has been closed by the moderation team due to not being constructive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users