New Tank: are first impressions to be trusted?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Bexleyheath #1 Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5246 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I unlocked yet another British tank destroyer yesterday, and the first (and only) game I had in it was a terrific romp that had me thinking "Maybe I've finally found the tank uniquely suited to my playstyle?"

BUT.. it could have just been a complete coincidence of random chance putting me in a just the right half of the map where the least skilled players were. Or it could have been WG's mysterious matchmaking, which supposedly has a function that puts you in the easiest possible matchup the first few games in a new tank.

How much do you guys trust your first impression of a new tank? How often have you though a tank was great/rubbish at first only to have it turn around completely a few dozen games later?

arthurwellsley #2 Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:24 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51767 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
At least 50 games needed to get a view on a tank. First impessions over maybe ten games. One single game definitely not.

IncandescentGerbil #3 Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35679 battles

View PostBexleyheath, on 07 May 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

I unlocked yet another British tank destroyer yesterday, and the first (and only) game I had in it was a terrific romp that had me thinking "Maybe I've finally found the tank uniquely suited to my playstyle?"

BUT.. it could have just been a complete coincidence of random chance putting me in a just the right half of the map where the least skilled players were. Or it could have been WG's mysterious matchmaking, which supposedly has a function that puts you in the easiest possible matchup the first few games in a new tank.

How much do you guys trust your first impression of a new tank? How often have you though a tank was great/rubbish at first only to have it turn around completely a few dozen games later?

I had an 8 kill game first up in 430u. Since then I have laboured along at a 45% WR, and never come close to feeling its legendary OPness. 

HQ65 #4 Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29527 battles
  • [CMERC] CMERC

View PostBexleyheath, on 07 May 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

Hi,

Since I play this game for fun, if a tank is fun, win or lose, I will like it...

Bexleyheath #5 Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:49 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5246 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

But how long does it take you to determine if a tank is fun or not?

View Postarthurwellsley, on 07 May 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

At least 50 games needed to get a view on a tank. First impessions over maybe ten games. One single game definitely not.

That's the sensible approach. But have you ever been tricked by those few first game?

Mimos_A #6 Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:50 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24177 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View PostHQ65, on 07 May 2018 - 10:32 AM, said:

Hi,

Since I play this game for fun, if a tank is fun, win or lose, I will like it...

But sometimes a few first battles in a good team allows you to only experience the good sides of a tank while masking the downsides. I remember my first few battles in the Black Prince that went just right, and I thought it was quite fun. Then later you get into more sticky situations where the downsides start showing and what you thought was fun turns out to be pretty meh or bad. Sometimes it works the same the other way around as well.

I usually judge after at least 20 battles in a fully upgraded tank.

Edited by Mimos_A, 07 May 2018 - 10:52 AM.

Geno1isme #7 Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:01 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42701 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View PostBexleyheath, on 07 May 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

Well, first you have to upgrade the tank completely, can't really judge a tank with sub-100% crews or stock modules. Once it's fully upgraded probably another 5-20 games (to encounter different maps and matchups) to see if the tank fits your playstyle in general.

arthurwellsley #8 Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51767 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View PostBexleyheath, on 07 May 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

That's the sensible approach. But have you ever been tricked by those few first game?

Tanks that have tricked me during the first play? No definitely not.

Women that have tricked me during the first play? Well that's a different answer entirely.

trrprrprr #9 Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23977 battles

View PostBexleyheath, on 07 May 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

First impressions cant be trusted...sure, you can like  one tank more, but for me its always a pretty great game first time in unlock new tier tank, even more with 90% crew and sometimes not fully equipt + stock and after that first game it goes down the hill..... thats my experience with China TDs, every one of them had a great first battle while stock and other i mentioned and after that ive had many wtf game with alot of lose in a row or RNG performance not in my favor.

Strappster #10 Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

General

• Player
  • 24045 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I've played part of nearly every line in the game and while I've thought that about a few tanks, I've never had that moment where I've thought the whole line could be the one for me until the Italians arrived.

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. You can worry about whether that battle was a one-off but it won't get you anywhere. One good or bad battle isn't a useful way to take a measure of anything. When you have an absolute stinker and you know it wasn't because of the tank and you're looking forward to playing it again anyway, that's when you should probably start thinking it suits you.

All the time! :D

View PostBexleyheath, on 07 May 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

Thing is, I've played enough battles in enough different tanks to have an idea of what suits me and what doesn't. I've pledged allegiance to Italian tanks I haven't even researched yet based on their stats on tanks.gg and my experience. I can see the strengths taken from tanks I enjoy playing, the weaknesses from tanks I know I struggle with but play anyway because I enjoy them.

Sure, you can have one great battle that makes you think the tank is awesome and then a run of utter trash but you're the only one who can take a step back and decide whether the trashy games are because of the tank or your being over-confident from that great battle or there's a fundamental issue you can't see past.

If you're having a terrible run of games and want to break it up and you automatically pick that tank because you know it'll lighten your mood regardless of the result, then that tank's probably one for you.

HQ65 #11 Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:36 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29527 battles
  • [CMERC] CMERC

View PostMimos_A, on 07 May 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

But sometimes a few first battles in a good team allows you to only experience the good sides of a tank while masking the downsides. I remember my first few battles in the Black Prince that went just right, and I thought it was quite fun. Then later you get into more sticky situations where the downsides start showing and what you thought was fun turns out to be pretty meh or bad. Sometimes it works the same the other way around as well.

I usually judge after at least 20 battles in a fully upgraded tank.

Yeah, liking or disliking tanks is a funny thing....it comes and goes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users