The Light tank problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

DrMechano #1 Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:44 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23678 battles

Does anyone else feel that Light tanks seem to be in a really awkward place right now?

Map design seems to be focused towards corridors with heavy brawling and very little room to move apart from on a very few select maps. Not only that in the Rampant Anti-TD bush killing rampage that WG went on they also removed a lot of good spots for passive scouting.

They're generally just worse at their job at higher tiers, Mediums usually have the same view range with more health, armour and firepower. Even in the lower tiers their tiny HP pool means that taking risks with them usually results in you getting blow up in an instant but you have to take those risks because there is no way to play a passive spotter apart from on very few select maps.

It feels like WG just don't have a clue what they want out of Light Tanks and the problem being if they buff light tanks to actually be properly competitive, they why play a medium tank but currently even at most tiers the question is, why play a light tank at all?

There are stand outs of Light Tanks. The Luchs for example, was barely touched with the new non-scout MM meaning it can be a little monster even in tier 6 games but such examples are rather rare.

So how do we fix the problem of Light Tanks being noncompetitive against their medium counterparts (for the most part) without making medium tanks of the same tier useless. I'd personally suggest a minor HP buff to bring them to at least roughly on par with medium tanks of the same tier, give the 59-16 700 health vs the Type 58s 750 for example. Honestly though, I don't know how to fix it since Light Tanks being kind of crap is a problem of map design and tank design working in unison to make them all kind of pants.

Strappster #2 Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

General

• Player
  • 23968 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostDrMechano, on 07 May 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

So how do we fix the problem of Light Tanks being noncompetitive against their medium counterparts (for the most part) without making medium tanks of the same tier useless.

Teach the players how to exploit the strengths of lights over mediums. WG nerfed the last iteration of lights shortly before release because everyone was asking, "why play a medium when a light can do its job better?" Now you're asking, "why play a light when a medium can do its job better?"

If you can't see the issue with that, you're not going to find a solution because you're looking in the wrong place.

Edited by Strappster, 07 May 2018 - 02:03 PM.

DrMechano #3 Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23678 battles

View PostStrappster, on 07 May 2018 - 12:57 PM, said:

Teach the players how to exploit the strengths of lights over mediums. WG nerfed the last iteration of lights shortly before release because everyone was asking, "why play a medium when a light can do its job better?" Now you're asking, "why play a light when a medium can do it's job better?"

If you can't see the issue with that, you're not going to find a solution because you're looking in the wrong place.

Yeah the problem is that it is a very fine line to balance but I do think the increasingly more corridor based map design with very little room to move has played a role in light tanks suffering along with the removal of good passive spotting locations on a lot of maps with the removal of a lot of bushes that has been going on for years.

There is only so much you can do when playing on maps that don't allow for good spotting (active or passive) and don't allow a lot of room to move. I'd personally say the only really good light tank maps we have left are Prokhrovka (sp)/Fiery Salient which allow for both active and passive spotting opportunities.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #4 Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29181 battles
The new HD maps seem to have a lot more bushes.

Element6 #5 Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29305 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Use camo on the move, and don't spot from mid map when you have viewrange to do that from 1/4 of the maps length, because you'd only get spotted and die early.

There is a reason a mediocre player like me has his highest WR in LTs, if we disregard SPGs wich have a low battlecount compared to the overall, and I am quite positive it's partly down to being harder to spot, while lighting up enemies with bad camo.

Search_Warrant #6 Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 27192 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostElement6_TheSprout, on 07 May 2018 - 01:08 PM, said:

Use camo on the move, and don't spot from mid map when you have viewrange to do that from 1/4 of the maps length, because you'd only get spotted and die early.

There is a reason a mediocre player like me has his highest WR in LTs, if we disregard SPGs wich have a low battlecount compared to the overall, and I am quite positive it's partly down to being harder to spot, while lighting up enemies with bad camo.

Bad camo yes. same viewrange or more than your light tank? yes. and thats a problem with bushes giving camo of a LT even in a huge box tank.

Element6 #7 Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29305 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 07 May 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

Bad camo yes. same viewrange or more than your light tank? yes. and thats a problem with bushes giving camo of a LT even in a huge box tank.

With the average battletimes we have nowadays, do you get the impression box tanks are standing still much?

If I go to WotLabs and sort my tanks for highest average spots, 23 out of the 25 first tanks in the list are LTs, and it is the class I win the most in. That is unlikely to happen if I just YOLO spot for 4.5k battles.

Agent_327 #8 Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16908 battles
  • [CAF] CAF
I think they are awesome to play.. I have avoided them for the most part of the time I have played WoT but I have really embraced them in the last ½ year or so. I only have up until tier 8 so I can only speak for those. But I really like the German, France and USA light tanks. Yes they are more situational and for some maps (city maps) where you really can't do anything until the end game but then they're just amazing.

Edited by Agent_327, 07 May 2018 - 03:08 PM.

tank276 #9 Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50083 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostAgent_327, on 07 May 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

I only have up until tier 8 so I can only speak for those.

Stay there plz dude. Although the sweetspot for lights for me is t6 and t7.

When u start grinding t9 lights, the pain will get real.

Meds start to outspot lights, armour becomes not penetrable for you (especially from long distance) etc. etc.

For a bright spot, at least for me, the map rotaion has more open maps compared to pre patch 1.0.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users