WoT is one of those games that aren't fun but you play anyway

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

CPTANT #1 Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7515 battles

For some reason I did play the game for a significant amount of time, but was it actually fun? I don't think it really is. The game is just very good at stimulating the reward centre of your brain through its progression system. The drive for "just one more tank" or "one more module" is just very strong, the game gives just enough progression that keep stimulating that feeling and not too much to actually give you all the stuff you want.

All in all I don't think it is a game that actually makes you satisfied from playing it so I uninstalled.

More of an observation than a rant.

Strappster #2 Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:04 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

You can dress it up in whatever language you feel helps justify your thinking but as far as I'm concerned, it's a game. If I'm not having fun, I'll not play it.

You can apply that reward/stimulation thing to any game, even simple ones like draughts (checkers) or noughts and crosses (tic-tac-toe) where the reward is little more than the satisfaction of winning. I'm sure there are volumes of research about addictive personality types and the ways online gaming seeks to exploit such issues but how is it any different to how anyone tries to sell you anything?

They all seek to make their product as desirable as possible but you can point an accusing finger at gaming because it's still seen as something disaffected teenage boys do in their bedrooms when they're not touching themselves and any adult who does it is just plain weird:rolleyes:

jack_timber #3 Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32385 battles

Wife calls it "that stupid tank game". 

I call it fun and giggles, keeps me happy, and that's what it's about.

Can't really say why it keeps me happy it's maybe just about shooting tanks.

As the bookies adverts proclaim "when the fun stop, stop".

unhappy_bunny #4 Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:31 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17926 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

I still find it fun. Got a couple of fav tanks, grind a new one occasionally, and really enjoy platooning. 

As said above. its a game, if its not fun, dont play it.

also, as tradition requires      7515

Jigabachi #5 Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Whenever I play, I have fun. When I don't have fun anymore, I stop playing. Right now I don't have much fun with the game, so I don't play.
It's really that simple, which makes the fact that so many grownup human beings can't follow that simple logic even more scary.

Strappster #6 Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:59 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postjack_timber, on 07 May 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

As the bookies adverts proclaim "when the fun stop, stop".

Only because they're legally obliged to. I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier post in this thread. ;)

trrprrprr #7 Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23634 battles

View PostCPTANT, on 07 May 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

For some reason I did play the game for a significant amount of time, but was it actually fun? I don't think it really is. The game is just very good at stimulating the reward centre of your brain through its progression system. The drive for "just one more tank" or "one more module" is just very strong, the game gives just enough progression that keep stimulating that feeling and not too much to actually give you all the stuff you want.

All in all I don't think it is a game that actually makes you satisfied from playing it so I uninstalled.

More of an observation than a rant.

You wont believe how many times i have sold entire tank pile every time i "quit" this darn game. Sadly i couldnt get back T34 as i got reply from devs, it doesnt count as premium tank cos i got it via ingame for free :)  Anyways, wot is just a HUGE time and money dump cos you dont have anything better to do.  So here i am again, bought 7month premium, few prem tanks and recovered few of them too and back in game till i get boored again and my brain will get to the point how bad and useless this game is :)

I would prolly stay in WT - but devs there are just awfull. PS4 version crashes every second or third game and req hard reset every crash. Pc version just bugs out and kick you out of the game pretty often too, they dont fix stuff there(like here) all they focus are new premium bundles and tanks to put in game.  

And wot is first unique game of this type and prolly nostalgy driven you kinda keep getting back....like now i again playing Arcanum and Divine Divinity games and played UO atleast 2x longer than this game.  So nostalgy is a b1tch :)

Edited by trrprrprr, 07 May 2018 - 06:14 PM.

xtrem3x #8 Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31603 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X

Strappster #9 Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:20 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Posttrrprrprr, on 07 May 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

You wont believe how many times i have sold entire tank pile every time i "quit" this darn game. Sadly i couldnt get back T34 as i got reply from devs, it doesnt count as premium tank cos i got it via ingame for free :)  Anyways, wot is just a HUGE time and money dump cos you dont have anything better to do.  So here i am again, bought 7month premium, few prem tanks and recovered few of them too and back in game till i get boored again and my brain will get to the point how bad and useless this game is :)

If you're struggling to quit and want to make it stick, open notepad and mash your keyboard until you've got a string of garbage about 10-20 characters long. Doesn't matter what it is as long as it's completely meaningless. Change your password to that string, close notepad without saving. Your account cannot be recovered unless you go through the forgotten password routine, which should give you enough time to rationalise what you're doing.

If you really want to make it stick, change your email to a throwaway account created in an incognito window with the same password routine first and close that when you close notepad. The only way to recover your account then is to contact Support and provide various banking and personal details showing payments and hoping you get a Support agent who believes you.

Or you could raise a Support ticket asking for your account to be deleted as described on their help page;)

CPTANT #10 Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:57 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7515 battles

View Postxtram3x, on 07 May 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

Yes? Did you not read what I wrote?

CPTANT #11 Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:01 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7515 battles

View PostStrappster, on 07 May 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

You can dress it up in whatever language you feel helps justify your thinking but as far as I'm concerned, it's a game. If I'm not having fun, I'll not play it.

You can apply that reward/stimulation thing to any game, even simple ones like draughts (checkers) or noughts and crosses (tic-tac-toe) where the reward is little more than the satisfaction of winning. I'm sure there are volumes of research about addictive personality types and the ways online gaming seeks to exploit such issues but how is it any different to how anyone tries to sell you anything?

They all seek to make their product as desirable as possible but you can point an accusing finger at gaming because it's still seen as something disaffected teenage boys do in their bedrooms when they're not touching themselves and any adult who does it is just plain weird:rolleyes:

Well not really, I actually do enjoy playing chess and not just for winning. I can play a good match, tie or lose and still see it as a good game.

Strappster #12 Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:18 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCPTANT, on 07 May 2018 - 06:01 PM, said:

Well not really, I actually do enjoy playing chess and not just for winning. I can play a good match, tie or lose and still see it as a good game.

I can play a good battle and lose and still consider it a good battle. If you think the only good battles are the ones you win, you probably shouldn't be playing this game.

Why can't you approach it as you do with chess?

trrprrprr #13 Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23634 battles

View PostStrappster, on 07 May 2018 - 06:18 PM, said:

I can play a good battle and lose and still consider it a good battle. If you think the only good battles are the ones you win, you probably shouldn't be playing this game.

Why can't you approach it as you do with chess?

Problem here is - that you are 1/15 of the match....and SHOULD be a "team", but there have been way too many games where i end up in top with ~3-4k dmg done, while 14 other in team havnt done same damage in total combined. Sure even if my team wins i end up in top 10 by both teams exp and many times even with lose still get a top three by exp. Just game like this feels more like a singleplayer with boths where enemy team has stronger bots but my team has same old bots from half life times :) And all my quits/rage tank sell is only thanks to pl/cz/sk players. This game would be much more enjoyable if WG could implement matchmaking with a way to explude certain countries from a roll - and i dont mind waiting longer or pay extra monthly for this option.

Strappster #14 Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Posttrrprrprr, on 08 May 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

Problem here is - that you are 1/15 of the match....and SHOULD be a "team" ...

Agreed. We've all had battles where we've played a blinder and the rest of the team has played as though they're blind but if you can step back and answer, "no" to the question, "Was there anything different I could have done to get a better result?", it's a more positive attitude than saying your team were responsible.

It might not win battles but it could give you a better experience.

Edited by Strappster, 08 May 2018 - 04:10 PM.

xtrem3x #15 Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31603 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X

View PostCPTANT, on 07 May 2018 - 05:57 PM, said:

Yes? Did you not read what I wrote?

I skimmed over it, didn't really give it much thought.

Just another run of the mill whine/quit thread tbh :child:

Suurpolskija #16 Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

Last summer this game got a bit grindy for me and I didn't feel like playing it. So. My friend gave me a pro tip: "Play something else for a while, see what's out there. The tanks you got ain't going nowhere and will still be tier8 and tier x or what ever when you come back".

So I did. And I came back. And it's cool again.

Roudari #17 Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34101 battles
Still like it a lot. When i played in clans and tryed my best i liked this game the least. When i quit all that i like this game a lot again.

RamRaid90 #18 Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:39 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20550 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Posttrrprrprr, on 08 May 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

Problem here is - that you are 1/15 of the match....and SHOULD be a "team", but there have been way too many games where i end up in top with ~3-4k dmg done, while 14 other in team havnt done same damage in total combined. Sure even if my team wins i end up in top 10 by both teams exp and many times even with lose still get a top three by exp. Just game like this feels more like a singleplayer with boths where enemy team has stronger bots but my team has same old bots from half life times :) And all my quits/rage tank sell is only thanks to pl/cz/sk players. This game would be much more enjoyable if WG could implement matchmaking with a way to explude certain countries from a roll - and i dont mind waiting longer or pay extra monthly for this option.

Over time that 1/15 will affect the outcome in one way or another, either negatively or positively.

Its about reading certain situations and reacting to them.

However the racist undertones of your argument make you lose any creditbility at all, after all the majority of the best players are from Eastern countries.

Edited by RamRaid90, 08 May 2018 - 04:40 PM.

signal11th #19 Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:42 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 35376 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
That's the problem with addiction, you still need to do it regardless of if you enjoy it.

Strappster #20 Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:56 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostRamRaid90, on 08 May 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

However the racist undertones of your argument make you lose any creditbility at all, after all the majority of the best players are from Eastern countries.

I don't see anything racist in what he said (or xenophobic, yes, thank you pedants). He's grouping bad players by their country of origin, not saying that they're bad players because they're from those countries.

If your game originates from an Eastern European/Russian basis and is purposefully designed to run on hardware that isn't the latest and greatest, you're going to attract more players from areas that identify with that demographic. Players shout about those countries producing potatoes but proportionately they don't give us any more than any other country - we simply see more of them because there are more of them playing.

Our home-grown potatoes gave up when they reached tier 4 and an O-I one-shot them and went back to trying to have sexy times with the wenches in Witcher III.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users