Jump to content


Paris, Stalingrad, Kharkov


  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

_Anarchistic_ #1 Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:09 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 37901 battles
  • 1,081
  • Member since:
    01-07-2015
just curious to know how paris is better than Stalingrad and Kharkov and thus stays in the game?

Junglist_ #2 Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:08 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 36729 battles
  • 1,345
  • Member since:
    06-17-2013

*
POPULAR

Because it's one of the latest map additions and it takes time for WG to admit they were wrong.



ortega456 #3 Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:45 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 61628 battles
  • 1,036
  • Member since:
    06-08-2012
Lol ^ this is the shortest best answer you'll get! :-)

NoobySkooby #4 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:33 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 12168 battles
  • 2,381
  • [TFMB] TFMB
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011
I usually get roasted if I say that Stalingrad was ok, but simply put, it was and what bothers me is that WG being Russian, it would have some pretty important historical base to it, so for me it is hard to see why they removed it, I can only hope it is being reworked same goes for Pilsen Sacred valley, and the Swamp maps.

Agent_327 #5 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Beta Tester
  • 16708 battles
  • 418
  • [CAF] CAF
  • Member since:
    09-20-2010
I actually like Paris, Stalingrad and Kharkov. Since the changes to map rotation I have no longer any maps I hate. I hope Stalingrad and Kharkov will soon be upgraded to 1.0 graphics so they can be reintroduced.

Dava_117 #6 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 19076 battles
  • 3,114
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-17-2014

View PostNoobySkooby, on 08 May 2018 - 10:33 AM, said:

I usually get roasted if I say that Stalingrad was ok, but simply put, it was and what bothers me is that WG being Russian, it would have some pretty important historical base to it, so for me it is hard to see why they removed it, I can only hope it is being reworked same goes for Pilsen Sacred valley, and the Swamp maps.

 

Actually reach my max positive vote for today. 

I agree with this. Stalingrad was a good map. If they just remove athe bit of scrap from some secondary road it would have been the perfect city map.



eldrak #7 Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 46903 battles
  • 1,019
  • [NE-VO] NE-VO
  • Member since:
    01-27-2011

Stalingrad and Charkov were acceptable when they were put on low rotation so you didn't get them so often. I didn't mind them then.

Charkov was the worst map in the game for arty, that's always something. Stalingrad though was actually a great map for arty.

 

Both were better than the new versions of Fjords and Fishermans bay. Some of the suggested changes for Charkov would make it worst map in the game.



DracheimFlug #8 Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:11 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 8957 battles
  • 4,033
  • Member since:
    11-13-2014

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 08 May 2018 - 05:09 AM, said:

just curious to know how paris is better than Stalingrad and Kharkov and thus stays in the game?

 

Because it is actually a good map. There is a lot more manoeuvre room in the North than credit is given for. The full map usually has to be used well to win.

Solstad1069 #9 Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 40817 battles
  • 3,174
  • Member since:
    06-15-2013

View PostDracheimFlug, on 08 May 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

 

Because it is actually a good map. There is a lot more manoeuvre room in the North than credit is given for. The full map usually has to be used well to win.

 

More room in the north? Then you need a ship.

Paris is the worst map of all the bad maps released since i started playing in 2013.

To do well on Paris you need tons of  armor, insane skills or an enemy team filled with "steven the heavy driver" abilities.

WG have noe clue how to make a great map anymore, the guy that made those good old maps are long gone.

 

Edit: Actually that Frontline map looks very good and could be split in pieces for normal game mode.


Edited by Solstad1069, 08 May 2018 - 11:24 AM.


Balc0ra #10 Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 65967 battles
  • 16,088
  • [WALL] WALL
  • Member since:
    07-10-2012

Stalingrad was widely hated. And IMO way worse then Paris. Kharkov was not terrible, but not well rounded for all classes either to be fun. Med's and lights were not effective until late game when the enemy team had thinned out a bit.

 

As for Paris? Well it's a new map, and no new map goes away that fast. And I suspect they want it around as other main capitals are coming. Is it the worst of the 3? No. Is it the worst map in the game atm? For me, no. Province is slowly starting to get that one. As it's worse them mines in a tier X game. Paris is just team depended then class depended more then anything. Kinda like Highway.  If you are in a HT, and the field & middle camps an 8 vs 3. You know it's lost the second you get boxed in since your med's don't react. Or if your HT line pushes slow vs less guns, and field gets raped. It's just a matter of time before they get flanked too.

 

I don't despise Paris, but I don't like it either. But after Highway got removed. It slowly took it's role on as the edge reveal map from it. As in who wins the med or HT flank first.



Strappster #11 Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:26 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 23695 battles
  • 8,962
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-20-2015

I liked Paris on release and I'm warming to it again now as players aren't simply following the "heavies south, lights north" routine. It goes to show that metas develop and change for maps but you have to give it time as few players want to be the only one trying something different.

 

View PostSolstad1069, on 08 May 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

WG have noe clue how to make a great map anymore, the guy that made those good old maps are long gone.

 

Or you're stuck in the meta of the old maps.



DracheimFlug #12 Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:26 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 8957 battles
  • 4,033
  • Member since:
    11-13-2014

View PostSolstad1069, on 08 May 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

 

More room in the north? Then you need a ship.

Paris is the worst map of all the bad maps released since i started playing in 2013.

To do well on Paris you need tons of  armor, insane skills or an enemy team filled with "steven the heavy driver" abilities.

WG have noe clue how to make a great map anymore, the guy that made those good old maps are long gone.

 

You are wrong. Actually I like the map least in a heavy, second least in arty, and enjoy it most in a medium. Use the cover in the North. Learn the sight lines and learn when to press and when not to. In a heavy it is pretty much straight up brawl in the south, and if the enemy arty know where to position, the south is not that arty safe.

Browarszky #13 Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 16096 battles
  • 3,666
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
  • Member since:
    12-03-2013
IMO Stalingrad was the best of these types of maps, Kharkov sort of acceptable (before changes, I don't think I ever got to play the 2nd version, not sure if anyone did), Paris mostly god awful, works for some tanks with good crews, I suppose.
 

View PostStrappster, on 08 May 2018 - 10:26 AM, said:

 

 

Or you're stuck in the meta of the old maps.

 

 

http://www.oldmapsonline.org/
 

torloisk #14 Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

    Corporal

  • Clan Diplomat
  • 30706 battles
  • 157
  • [SHOR] SHOR
  • Member since:
    04-06-2013

View PostJunglist_, on 08 May 2018 - 06:08 AM, said:

Because it's one of the latest map additions and it takes time for WG to admit they were wrong.

 

This! Sometimes it takes them ages.

xx984 #15 Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 53824 battles
  • 2,471
  • [FAME] FAME
  • Member since:
    08-11-2013
Don't get the hate behind Paris. It's actually one of my favourites, good for all classes except arty which is good. And a lots of ways you can play with heavies/meds/tds on there so it's never usually the same thing over and over again.. 

Solstad1069 #16 Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:03 PM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 40817 battles
  • 3,174
  • Member since:
    06-15-2013

View PostDracheimFlug, on 08 May 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

 

You are wrong. Actually I like the map least in a heavy, second least in arty, and enjoy it most in a medium. Use the cover in the North. Learn the sight lines and learn when to press and when not to. In a heavy it is pretty much straight up brawl in the south, and if the enemy arty know where to position, the south is not that arty safe.

 

Ye ofcourse you like it in a heavy, i love to play my light tanks and i really "love" to sit and wait for the heavies to finish their brawl, you just pray its not "Steven" the heavy tank driver you got on your team.

Because rest of the map is 98% useless, unless AGAIN you have a medium with armor, or an enemy that cant aim for *edited*.

 

View Postxx984, on 08 May 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

Don't get the hate behind Paris. It's actually one of my favourites, good for all classes except arty which is good. And a lots of ways you can play with heavies/meds/tds on there so it's never usually the same thing over and over again.. 

 

Please enlighten me on playing T71 in a tier 9 battle. Either you drive into the middle and spot a few and get lit up yourself, its a 50/50 if you get out alive with maybe 500 spot damage, not worth it.

Then you move to where the heavies not go and sit in a bush and pretty much just wait for the heavies to finish their job. Its a complete waste of energy trying to push this side or play offensive unless you have armor.


 

Edited by NickMustaine, 09 May 2018 - 02:40 PM.
Inappropriate language


Nishi_Kinuyo #17 Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:06 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 7656 battles
  • 4,030
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Member since:
    05-28-2011

I'd still prefer to be in a paper MT on any of those three than in any tank on prokhorovka.

Not because the maps are good or bad, but because the teams got no balls at all on prokhorovka.

At least on Paris/Stalingrad/Kharkov you can rely on your teammates to at least find the W key and move forward somewhat.


Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 09 May 2018 - 03:08 PM.


NoobySkooby #18 Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:22 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 12168 battles
  • 2,381
  • [TFMB] TFMB
  • Member since:
    09-23-2011

View PostBalc0ra, on 08 May 2018 - 11:24 AM, said:

Stalingrad was widely hated. And IMO way worse then Paris. Kharkov was not terrible, but not well rounded for all classes either to be fun. Med's and lights were not effective until late game when the enemy team had thinned out a bit.

 

As for Paris? Well it's a new map, and no new map goes away that fast. And I suspect they want it around as other main capitals are coming. Is it the worst of the 3? No. Is it the worst map in the game atm? For me, no. Province is slowly starting to get that one. As it's worse them mines in a tier X game. Paris is just team depended then class depended more then anything. Kinda like Highway.  If you are in a HT, and the field & middle camps an 8 vs 3. You know it's lost the second you get boxed in since your med's don't react. Or if your HT line pushes slow vs less guns, and field gets raped. It's just a matter of time before they get flanked too.

 

I don't despise Paris, but I don't like it either. But after Highway got removed. It slowly took it's role on as the edge reveal map from it. As in who wins the med or HT flank first.

 

Is there any word on Stalingrad being re worked, being a Russian game i would have thought there is some historical importance behind said map?

Shaade_Silentpaw #19 Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:39 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 22322 battles
  • 361
  • Member since:
    10-12-2015

Paris is the worst of the 3 imo - because all the heavily-armoured vehicles go and fight over the exact same spot every time, and lighter vehicles are forced out to the open area which is just a camp fest.

The only other option is the middle, which is always a HUGE risk.

 

In the other 2 maps you at least had viable options of where to go at the beginning of a game, regardless of the tank class you were playing.

 



xx984 #20 Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:47 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 53824 battles
  • 2,471
  • [FAME] FAME
  • Member since:
    08-11-2013

View PostSolstad1069, on 09 May 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

 

Ye ofcourse you like it in a heavy, i love to play my light tanks and i really "love" to sit and wait for the heavies to finish their brawl, you just pray its not "Steven" the heavy tank driver you got on your team.

Because rest of the map is 98% useless, unless AGAIN you have a medium with armor, or an enemy that cant aim for *edited*.

 

 

Please enlighten me on playing T71 in a tier 9 battle. Either you drive into the middle and spot a few and get lit up yourself, its a 50/50 if you get out alive with maybe 500 spot damage, not worth it.

Then you move to where the heavies not go and sit in a bush and pretty much just wait for the heavies to finish their job. Its a complete waste of energy trying to push this side or play offensive unless you have armor.


 

I usually play heavy side in my lights and brawl with them, Sounds unusual yes, but ive always played my light tanks like that and am pretty good at it. 

 

Most tanks are useless bottom tier when shooting at tier 9 tanks anyway, Not just the T71 and not just on Paris, Id much rather be in a T71 bottom tier on paris than in an IS or something, seeing as IS is paper in that MM, and has no mobility to make up for it. 

 

Not everyone can play light tanks the same way i do, Which is fair enough, in that case there is a nice bush you can get in on the other side of the map :

Can get some nice shots off from there and pull back before they have a chance to aim on you etc, or just sit and spot if you are one of those "i must sit in boosh and do no actual damage" light players, what ever floats your

boat. 

 

Edit - 

Noticed i only circled one area on that map and forgot to do the other side, but its pretty much identical on either side you are


Edited by xx984, 09 May 2018 - 09:48 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users