My Progress as a Player

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

CircleOfSorrow #1 Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:18 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28386 battles

I have been consistently trying to improve my performance in this game, and even though statistically I seem to have improved, it doesn't 'feel' as if I have improved, and I'm not happy with the results.  Even though my WN8 and DMG done improves over time, my WR hasn't really changed since I cared to notice what it was.

Some Questions;

1. Is platooning with good players the only way to reliably push my WR up?

2. My average values are always going to be crap.  Would a competitive klanu be likely to look past those to consider my recents?

3. What are the obvious weak points in my performance?  Which of them should I address first?

I have gotten my values mostly solo, except for a time when I acted as a recruiter for a clan and played a lot of low tiers with noobs.  I prefer tier 8 these days.  Just mentioning in case it explains something odd about the data.

For more information;

https://tanks.gg/eu/circleofsorrow

http://www.wotstats.org/stats/eu/circleofsorrow/

Kozzy #2 Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:33 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 38543 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

Not sure I see a problem, really.  Your last 1,000 battles have been at almost 55%, which is good.  Platooning with players better than you will always help, but don't worry about effectively getting carried to better WR - I play solo 99.99% of the time.

Just watch vids on the sort of tanks you are likely to play or want to get better at and do what the pros do.  The best tip I have got from a 'pro' was to live longer.  Simply doing that does wonders for WN8 and WR.  Saying that, don't camp like a plum ;)

If you really want to pad your WR then find the tanks you do great in and make sure that in every session you play a few games in those tanks too.

clixor #3 Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

Major

• Player
  • 49633 battles

I think the key to improving, stats wise, is to play on a real consistent level. It's doesn't take much dmg per battle to get reasonable win8, and if you add one or more really good battle per session than it's not that hard to get unicom levels of win8 per session. However, and this is related to surviving longer, if you do minimal dmg only in a few battles per session it's obviously harder to compensate that with excellent battles.

With a consistent dmg output this will overall also reflect in your wr, ofcourse this is still going to be very team and mm dependent but in the long run you will see improvement in that area as well.

Lastly, if stats are important to you, then it's also vital to recognize when the odds are just against you in a session. If you get constant bad teams, bad rng leading to loss streaks it's better to call it quits for the day as you are likely to TILT and play even worse.

signal11th #4 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 33901 battles
  • [E-BAY] E-BAY
Far as I'm concerned as long as your stats are going up even by 0.1% per day you're doing something right and don't sweat the rest. I'm the opposite of most and play better when solo so most of my games have been solo played as for some reason when I play platoon it makes me play differently and not in a good way. Good tip as well if you are using XVM in game turn it off as it does alter the way you play a game.  Play tanks you know you are better in to offset the ones you are grinding etc and as someone else said above never play when you are angry with the game, like a gambler you are always trying to reclaim the money you have lost and you end up losing more.

Edited by signal11th, 08 May 2018 - 10:07 AM.

Baldrickk #5 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:10 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29061 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 08 May 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

Some Questions;

2. My average values are always going to be crap.  Would a competitive klanu be likely to look past those to consider my recents?

3. What are the obvious weak points in my performance?  Which of them should I address first?

1. No. It is a reliable way though as you bias the teams in your favour.

Just finding some way to improve your play should result in a higher win rate over time.

2. If they don't, then they're stupid

3. If you're like me, then it's about eliminating silly mistakes

The_Georgian_One #6 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:11 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33831 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

View Postsignal11th, on 08 May 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

Far as I'm concerned as long as your stats are going up even by 0.1% per day you're doing something right and don't sweat the rest. I'm the opposite of most and play better when solo so most of my games have been solo played as for some reason when I play platoon it makes me play differently and not in a good way. Good tip as well if you are using XVM in game turn it off as it does alter the way you play a game.  Play tanks you know you are better in to offset the ones you are grinding etc and as someone else said above never play when you are angry with the game, like a gambler you are always trying to reclaim the money you have lost and you end up losing more.

Funny, I have the same 'issue'. It's more fun to play with my pal, we also typically win more, but my personal performance suffers. We also have distinctly different playstyles and different preferred map positions, so this doesn't help either.

OP - if you want to increase win rate minimize grinding and play your high WR tanks. Try it for a week and see what the result is from this interval.

Simeon85 #7 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 1097 battles

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 08 May 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

Some Questions;

1. No, consistent game impacting play is. Obviously tooning helps a lot but it's still possible to influence solo, it's about making crucial differences in games that matter (i.e the games that are not crushing defeats or crushing wins where it doesn't really matter what you do). Best way to look at this is to analyse your games, look at the games where you were in the game a while, where you lost and the game outcome was relatively close. You'll be able to see where you went wrong, where you made mistakes, where you were not making the plays at the right time, where you gave away HP that could have made a difference later etc. Avoiding those things and doing better next time will turn more of those games into wins = higher win rate.

2. Most will look at recents, they will also look at your CW relevant tanks and how you do in those, best thing to do is talk to a few recruiters from active clans you are looking at, some might dismiss you but others usually will have a chat, even if they don't take you they might give you ideas where to improve or tanks to focus on etc.

3. Difficult to just judge that from a set of statistics. Better with replays where people can look at how you actually play, I am not suggesting you do but obviously people can get their WN8 and damage up by just farming and playing more at higher tiers without actually improving. 

Edited by Simeon85, 08 May 2018 - 10:22 AM.

Geno1isme #8 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40080 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

Note that your overall WR is for average tier 5.86, while your recent WR is for average tier 7.76.

Pushing WR is easier in lower tiers, so keeping your WR constant while going up the tiers is like improving your performance actually. On the other hand, higher tiers automatically result in higher damage given the same performance.

Edited by Geno1isme, 08 May 2018 - 10:26 AM.

OllieCromwell #9 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:26 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 40855 battles
  • [GENB] GENB

View PostThe_Georgian_One, on 08 May 2018 - 10:11 AM, said:

OP - if you want to increase win rate minimize grinding and play your high WR tanks. Try it for a week and see what the result is from this interval.

I think this is the main issue ... certainly seems that way for me ... I'm always grinding tanks and more or less leveled out on a WN8 of 1230'ish and a winrate of 50.25% (ish)  As soon as I have researched all modules on the tanks I'm grinding and I'm just getting the XP to get to the next tank those numbers go up a bit ...

[alu hat] 

That said, considering my winrate, I get the impression the game simply doesn't allow me to get beyond 50.30% ... as soon as I get towards 50.20 I get teams that seem more than capable of holding their own, but as soon as the 50.30% get's close I thrown into the shallow end of the gene pool with all the numpties ... sometimes I'm then able to carry but more often than not I just see the team melting around me and I"m able to put in 1 or 2 more shots but that's it then ... put this on top of my own mistakes and I'm quickly back at 50.25'ish'.... rinse ... repeat

[/alu hat] 

sabre_ferret #10 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:29 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18301 battles
  • [B1C] B1C

View PostKozzy, on 08 May 2018 - 09:33 AM, said:

Just watch vids on the sort of tanks you are likely to play or want to get better at and do what the pros do.  The best tip I have got from a 'pro' was to live longer.  Simply doing that does wonders for WN8 and WR.  Saying that, don't camp like a plum ;)

View PostBaldrickk, on 08 May 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

3. If you're like me, then it's about eliminating silly mistakes

This has been a big one for me.  I feel like my good games haven't really got better, but my average WN8 and DPG has increased because I have fewer games where I get knocked out early because I made a stupid push or trade.  Before you put yourself in harms way, or make a trade, think about what the likelihood is of you getting hit by multiple enemies; are you going to expose soft armour to make a tricky shot at a hull-down enemy?  If you push, will it leave you in a position you can't get out of with enemies who are likely to push on you?  Will your new position depend on support from pubbies behind you?  (This is a big one!)  

I feel like I'm getting better at the above, but even today I had a dreadful game in my Obj-263 when I low rolled a BC 25t AP and left him on a few HP, and chased him 20m forward to finish him.  I probably wouldn't have done so but he drove in to the little bridge in the moat of the castle on Redshire.  He got stuck for a few seconds and my killer instinct kicked in and I moved forward, exposed my side to a couple of enemies on the hill, lost half of my XP and then another enemy drove through the castle unopposed to flank me.  I managed to turn but had enemies in three directions and the ability to cover one.  That was one mistake and cost me all my HP.  

NoobySkooby #11 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:29 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7024 battles
You seem to be doing something right, I dare not reveal mine but hey WG lets everyone mock mine, lol. TBH, I could not make head or tail of all the wn8 bumpf anyway as long as I hit at least something on the battle field then all is well with me.

Kozzy #12 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 38543 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View PostNoobySkooby, on 08 May 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

You seem to be doing something right, I dare not reveal mine but hey WG lets everyone mock mine, lol. TBH, I could not make head or tail of all the wn8 bumpf anyway as long as I hit at least something on the battle field then all is well with me.

This is a game after all, the most important thing is to be having fun.  When he fun stops it is time to do something else.

Your stats aren't great (not trying to be an a55).  At your level I would focus on simple gains such as doing one more penetrating shot of damage per game in each tank with an end goal of getting the tank's average damage higher than it's own HP.  If you do have XVM, then perhaps find players in similar tanks to you and follow them and support what they're doing?

HeidenSieker #13 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostNoobySkooby, on 08 May 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

A lot of it's knowing broadly where to go. Stats on the account you post from are publicly available. Suggest if you have vehicles you prefer playing, play them for most enjoyment. Look at "wotreplays.eu", where you can easily search for battles involving your preferred vehicles, and see if any other people's techniques appeal to you too. Get a "good" crew! You have a good play philosophy already.

TankkiPoju #14 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 19687 battles

Your overall average tier is 5.86, but your recent average tier is 7.38.

I think you are falling to a mental trap, thinking you are not getting better, when in reality you are playing more high tier games... where you have to do more just to keep the same win rate.

Do a test: Play few days on tiers 5-6 only and see what your stats are then.

Strappster #15 Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

General

• Player
  • 23628 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 08 May 2018 - 08:18 AM, said:

It helps although so does playing tanks you're comfortable in and enjoy because you'll generally have a better time anyway. I'm terrible in platoons because I'm never quite sure how much or how little I need to provide support to my toon mates and end up over or under-committing. Usually over because I'm trying to "help" when it's not necessary and I get cancelled.

Would you want to join a clan that couldn't see past your old data?

I think this is something you're best placed to answer. While it's useful to get feedback on what other people would have done in the same circumstances, unless you can take a step back to look at your game objectively and understand why what you did was good or bad, you're only going to learn a different rote way of playing that situation in future.

There's certainly value in having options but if the enemy does something you're not expecting, you need to react on the fly. I think it's the ability to cope with the unexpected that separates the great players from the good ones.

CircleOfSorrow #16 Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28386 battles

View PostStrappster, on 08 May 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

There's certainly value in having options but if the enemy does something you're not expecting, you need to react on the fly. I think it's the ability to cope with the unexpected that separates the great players from the good ones.

When I watch Circon playing, the guy seems to just casually waft from position to position, finding targets of opportunity as he goes.  I cannot discern his method, and for the most part his stream is entertainment but not educational for me.  With an enemy team moving freely throughout the map, to Circon there are no random unexpected moves.  I really lack that sense.  I have been looking at the minimap and trying to predict where enemy tanks are going when they are spotted, and sometimes I guess right, but Circon has a good idea what is around every corner.

I think I'll just keep chipping away at it and see if over time I can maintain the upwards trend.  

Element6_TheSprout #17 Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

General

• Player
  • 28169 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Not going to give tips on how to improve as that is not even my main focus, but there is one thing that can give you a perspective on what it takes to improve your overall WR which suffers from a very high battlecount and as such is seriously inert.

http://wotlabs.net/e.../CircleOfSorrow

Mouse-over your overall WR in this link.

sabre_ferret #18 Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18301 battles
  • [B1C] B1C

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 08 May 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

When I watch Circon playing, the guy seems to just casually waft from position to position, finding targets of opportunity as he goes.  I cannot discern his method, and for the most part his stream is entertainment but not educational for me.  With an enemy team moving freely throughout the map, to Circon there are no random unexpected moves.  I really lack that sense.  I have been looking at the minimap and trying to predict where enemy tanks are going when they are spotted, and sometimes I guess right, but Circon has a good idea what is around every corner.

I think I'll just keep chipping away at it and see if over time I can maintain the upwards trend.  

He has really exceptional situational awareness, and seems to unconsciously work out the angles that enemy tanks are covering along with timings for when enemies are on their reloads.  

Simeon85 #19 Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 1097 battles

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 08 May 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

Lemming Rush is a good 'explaining' youtuber/streamer, as Zevin and Skill is actually pretty good at explaining what he is doing and what he is doing wrong. 

Strappster #20 Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

General

• Player
  • 23628 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 08 May 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

*** INCREDIBLY OLD JOKE ALERT ***

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Practice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users