Jump to content


Terrible scouting/spotting player at low tier

spotting scouting light tanks

  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Venom7000 #1 Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:35 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 1087 battles
  • 77
  • Member since:
    03-10-2018

Im max Tier 5 with Kv1. Getting the hang of the tank. (which is an overstatement as the tank is very noob friendly). Im doing, ok. However I cannot shake the feeling that people who decided to stay in light tank line are oblivious to their roles half of the time.
I cant even begin to say how many times we were not being able to shoot and play because light tanks go TD and just camp irrelevant spots. Or just sit at the back of the map while the heavies are left on their own.

How many times have I been obliterated by 3 tanks at the same time because light tank drivers don't understand their roles.
Same goes for my TD Soviet tier 4 tank.
Am I probably using the heavy tank incorrectly? Am I suppose to never leave more than 200m from my base? Am I not suppose to be in the front line? (genuinely asking these questions because this is my first heavy). 

The only time I do consistently good is in city maps where light tank role is not so important to my survival.
Any thoughts on this?

P.s- I honest to god once got a reply to my "we need spotting" from a light tank driver saying "f^& you. You go! Why me!?!" :child:



_GoGen_ #2 Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:51 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 8051 battles
  • 20
  • Member since:
    05-15-2013

View PostVenom7000, on 08 May 2018 - 06:35 PM, said:

I cant even begin to say how many times we were not being able to shoot and play because light tanks go TD and just camp irrelevant spots. Or just sit at the back of the map while the heavies are left on their own.

 

Having the same problems as you with lights, I eventualy decided to install Coated optics (got 349 view range) on my KV-1 and just go first line solo.

If someone spots nicely, fine, if not, try to manage things on your own :)

Have Sixth sense on commander and the rest crew sa repairs as first skill and you should be fine.

 



Venom7000 #3 Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:02 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 1087 battles
  • 77
  • Member since:
    03-10-2018

View Post_GoGen_, on 08 May 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

 

Having the same problems as you with lights, I eventualy decided to install Coated optics (got 349 view range) on my KV-1 and just go first line solo.

If someone spots nicely, fine, if not, try to manage things on your own :)

Have Sixth sense on commander and the rest crew sa repairs as first skill and you should be fine.

 

 

Im on a cusp of getting 6th sense and 100% trained crew. I see no other way than Coated optics too. But I feel stupid gearing up my tank with modules that are not conventional to a heavy when there are good ones for our tank line. I hate when I have to equip my character, tank, warship, paladin so I can play solo in a game that is all about team work and responsibility/role management. Feels like a wasted potential of my tanks role/strengths. :( :D

Baldrickk #4 Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:52 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29322 battles
  • 13,374
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
  • Member since:
    03-03-2013
Malinovka used to be a tier I map.

RIP players actually starting the game learning how to scout from the off.

Venom7000 #5 Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:00 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 1087 battles
  • 77
  • Member since:
    03-10-2018

View PostBaldrickk, on 08 May 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

Malinovka used to be a tier I map.

RIP players actually starting the game learning how to scout from the off.

 

Except WOT made tiers 1-2 a joke. How the actual game is played has nothing to do with 1-2 tiers. There is no scouting there. Just run and gun and autoloaders rule. Zero semblance of teamwork (kinda :)). But WOT should put in more efforts to teach people the proper roles of each tank type. Lights are the most important roles. I can deal with having no medium tank support or arty god forbid. But with out light tank my Heavy and TD are useless. 

Edited by Venom7000, 08 May 2018 - 08:01 PM.


Baldrickk #6 Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:09 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29322 battles
  • 13,374
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
  • Member since:
    03-03-2013

View PostVenom7000, on 08 May 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

 

Im on a cusp of getting 6th sense and 100% trained crew. I see no other way than Coated optics too. But I feel stupid gearing up my tank with modules that are not conventional to a heavy when there are good ones for our tank line. I hate when I have to equip my character, tank, warship, paladin so I can play solo in a game that is all about team work and responsibility/role management. Feels like a wasted potential of my tanks role/strengths. :( :D

There are only two heavies that I've equipped with vision devices:

 

  • T29 - Binocs for spotting from defensive position
  • Caernarvon - optics, because it plays like a slow medium tank.

 

About half my heavy tank crews don't have 6th sense.

 

Sometimes, the best course of action is to play passively.

If you have nowhere protected to be, it's a far better option than charging into the open without someone spotting for your heavy.

In that case, get into the most defensible position possible and wait.

It might be boring, but it's where strategy and tactics come into it. 

 

On the other hand, where else could you be going?

Just because you are a heavy and not the fastest vehicle around, it doesn't stop you relocating. 

Has a new flank opened up? Is there now a clear route to another covered approach elsewhere that you can push? Is it time to assume a supporting role for your allies on another flank?

 

All in all, like any other tank, you should be making good use of cover - especially hard cover in heavy tanks. Behind medium tanks, it's the class that puts the most emphasis on it.



Dead_in_30_seconds #7 Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:12 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 2014 battles
  • 480
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    11-07-2017

I'd like to apologise for all us light tanks.

Actually that's not strictly true, I'd like to apologise for me in particular.

I've played LT's almost exclusively, and God knows I've tried to improve, but for some reason, I just can't 'git gud'.

If I've ever let you down, I'm sorry. If I've ever actually made a difference, it was probably by accident.

You'll know me if you see me. I'll probably be in a Leopard on fire.

:child::facepalm:

 



Bordhaw #8 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:34 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 10303 battles
  • 1,745
  • Member since:
    01-29-2017

View PostVenom7000, on 08 May 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

Im max Tier 5 with Kv1. Getting the hang of the tank. (which is an overstatement as the tank is very noob friendly). Im doing, ok. However I cannot shake the feeling that people who  

The only time I do consistently good is in city maps where light tank role is not so important to my survival.
Any thoughts on this?

Make sure you know where the heavies go on each map. You don't have to go there but it;s a good default. 

 

View PostVenom7000, on 08 May 2018 - 06:02 PM, said:

 

Im on a cusp of getting 6th sense and 100% trained crew. I see no other way than Coated optics too. But I feel stupid gearing up my tank with modules that are not conventional to a heavy when there are good ones for our tank line. I hate when I have to equip my character, tank, warship, paladin so I can play solo in a game that is all about team work and responsibility/role management. Feels like a wasted potential of my tanks role/strengths. :( :D

 

Yep that's the way to go Vents, Rammer, Optics. 



Dead_in_30_seconds #9 Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:22 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 2014 battles
  • 480
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    11-07-2017

Vents, Rammer, Optics??

 

Oh s**t, I put fluffy dice, air freshener and one of those beaded seat covers in.

 

Now the biting makes sense!! :)

 



Suurpolskija #10 Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:04 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 18436 battles
  • 1,573
  • [URHO] URHO
  • Member since:
    01-26-2016

I use coated optics on any tank that can reach close to maximum view range. And premiums, because more spotting = more credits & exp.

 

AND

 

On low tiers I ALWAYS (!!!!) use binocs on EVERY tank, even arty! On low tiers you'll meet a lot of players who don't have the luxury or knowledge of having View Range devices which gives you an enormous advantage over them.

 

Only the virtually blind heavies on tiers 7+ I leave with Rammer vents vstab.



mpf1959 #11 Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:58 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 12398 battles
  • 522
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    10-29-2017

Block Quote

 You'll know me if you see me. I'll probably be in a Leopard on fire.

 

LOL :teethhappy:



MetalMicky #12 Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:22 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 17836 battles
  • 311
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-
  • Member since:
    05-14-2016

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 08 May 2018 - 11:22 PM, said:

Vents, Rammer, Optics??

 

Oh s**t, I put fluffy dice, air freshener and one of those beaded seat covers in.

 

Now the biting makes sense!! :)

 

 

​LOL, Good one...... On a slightly serious suggestion, far better to go Optics/Binocs/Camo Net on your LT. This gives IMHO, the best all round spotting tools for the job, view range on the move, view range at distance and a safety net for resting.

 

Respect to ALL,Cheers :)

 

 



Gremlin182 #13 Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 46079 battles
  • 7,811
  • Member since:
    04-18-2012

I really don't think you can play the game like this, yes I know 49% what do I know ;)

 

I mean assuming that there will be a light tank in your team and that they will reliably spot for you.

Take Laketown no seriously take that map and lose it, sorry back to the point.

If as a heavy tank you take the 2 line when you peek over that central ridge you really need to be able to spot those TDs and SPGs right at the back for yourself.

Because the light tank or tanks almost certainly took the path above the lake or the town because they can spot a lot more tanks from there.

 

There is no one optimum way to outfit a tank if you put everything into getting that gun firing as fast as possible you might create a weakness in another area.

I think optics on heavies are a good idea until either you are in a high tier heavy with 400+ native view range or you have a skilled crew, once you have BIA recon and Situational awareness you can put vents on instead of optics.

 

Not a hard and fast rule of course but I believe in being able to have a reasonable chance of spotting enemies without help.

 

As for light tank drivers yep a lot die off in the first few seconds and that's it, there are only 2 times I will not ne out ahead of our heavies spotting.

1 I am on another part of the map spotting for someone else.

2 I have been spotting and my team mates just refuse to move meanwhile I get shot up and they still sit at the back.

Then I will take up a position behind them and wait for the end,

 

That doesn't happen very often usually I can rely on my team to shoot what I spot and thank you kindly for the assistance damage and xp.

I want to be alive till the end and hopefully get Scout patrol duty Pasuccis or Dumitrus medals for my pains



StinkyStonky #14 Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:05 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 26253 battles
  • 1,813
  • [H5VOC] H5VOC
  • Member since:
    11-02-2015

View PostGremlin182, on 09 May 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

I really don't think you can play the game like this

 

I agree.

 

The OP is mostly complaining about other players not doing what HE wants.  This is just a feature of Randoms.  He should not base his play on the assumption that others will do what's best for him or the team.  Some wont do it because they are bad players, some because they are selfish and some because they are wise and what the OP wants is actually a bad idea and some wont even have noticed the request.

 

In many cases, if there are no spots, the thing to do is be patient.  In a short while someone will make a move (either to spot for you or an opponents trying to spot you).  There's little point in a light spotting tanks that you can't shoot.

 

View PostVenom7000, on 08 May 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

P.s- I  once got a reply to my "we need spotting" from a light tank driver saying "f^& you. You go! Why me!?!" 

 

I suggest the OP try playing a light tank (at tier 5 or higher).  He will notice that they are fragile and easily killed.  He will also recognise the requests from HTs and realise that "we need spotting" often means "can you yolo suicide so that I can farm some more damages/XP/Credits/WN8 - I know you will die but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make".  Then the OP will understand the frustration of the light driver.

 

Lights can be very rewarding.  It's great to play a <1000HP tank and finish the game with >2k assist.

But it's hugely frustrating to be down to <100HP having been hit a few times and despite spoting 6-8 tanks have <300 assist as your TDs, Arty and HTs didn't shoot anything you spotted.

 

TL;DR Play your own tank.  If you want your team to help you then join a clan and play the team modes.



Venom7000 #15 Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:59 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 1087 battles
  • 77
  • Member since:
    03-10-2018

View PostStinkyStonky, on 09 May 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

I agree.

 

The OP is mostly complaining about other players not doing what HE wants.  This is just a feature of Randoms.  He should not base his play on the assumption that others will do what's best for him or the team.  Some wont do it because they are bad players, some because they are selfish and some because they are wise and what the OP wants is actually a bad idea and some wont even have noticed the request.

 

In many cases, if there are no spots, the thing to do is be patient.  In a short while someone will make a move (either to spot for you or an opponents trying to spot you).  There's little point in a light spotting tanks that you can't shoot.

 

 

I suggest the OP try playing a light tank (at tier 5 or higher).  He will notice that they are fragile and easily killed.  He will also recognise the requests from HTs and realise that "we need spotting" often means "can you yolo suicide so that I can farm some more damages/XP/Credits/WN8 - I know you will die but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make".  Then the OP will understand the frustration of the light driver.

 

Lights can be very rewarding.  It's great to play a <1000HP tank and finish the game with >2k assist.

But it's hugely frustrating to be down to <100HP having been hit a few times and despite spoting 6-8 tanks have <300 assist as your TDs, Arty and HTs didn't shoot anything you spotted.

 

TL;DR Play your own tank.  If you want your team to help you then join a clan and play the team modes.

 

I dont think that you understand my gripe/issue. I am a heavy tank that is more than happy to go front line and protect my teammates and be the "meat shield". That is the duty of a heavy tank. And yes a shocker, I am upset because a light tank is not spotting and is CAMPING the base (literally next to a td or arty.) He is guarding the base! :facepalm:
Yes I know what driving a light tank means and how hard it is. (I have all the respect for the players who do it properly). Is it a dangerous job? Yes.. But guess what so is every other role if you play it like you should.
If you want to stay away from the dangers then play arty. Every other role involves you getting in to contact with other peoples guns.

I dont expect light tanks to just suicide so I can have 2 seconds of view of my enemies. I am angry when LT are 300m meters behind the heavies and front line. Snipping and hopping someone else will spot a target so he can shoot it with his BB gun. (preferably a stupid heavy tank who will get fed up that LT is not spotting and just advance on their own. And light up enemies as they shoot him to death).
To summarise my issue with LOW tier LT:

1. Camp the base and protect arty (not moving entire game)

2. Thinks they are TD and camps at the back hoping that enemies will reveal themselves once they start shooting at his teammates who are clueless because.... shocker they dont have a LT spotting for them at least 50 meters in front.

3. General lack of education in low tiers on what role each tank needs to do. 
I hope this clears our misunderstanding and makes my statement a bit easier to read. :)

 

 

View PostStinkyStonky, on 09 May 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

I suggest the OP try playing a light tank (at tier 5 or higher).  He will notice that they are fragile and easily killed.   Then the OP will understand the frustration of the light driver.


I agree with this . I also warmly suggest that any LT driver does the same and takes a seat in heavy tank and tries to even move 100m away from the base with out even a minimal assistance of LT scouting. See how he likes it to watch only damage/ricochet indicators and die within the next 10 seconds. With out even seeing an enemy tank. Big armour and health pool is nothing if the enemy is invisible. (especially if you are a bottom tier in a tier max game. Forget the hp and armour then)

I undertand and support the idea of "walk a mile in my shoe" but your argument is applicable to all sides of the issue. Everyone should take a moment to play other peoples roles to understand the important synergy that is required to win.
That is why I started playing arty. I thought that their job was easy and could not understand how hard it is to "just snipe him". Until I realised the: accuracy, reloading, obstacles ....
Now I do my damnest to congratulate any arty that was a good player.


 

Edited by xxTANK_Uxx, 12 May 2018 - 03:11 PM.


Dead_in_30_seconds #16 Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:51 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 2014 battles
  • 480
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    11-07-2017

View PostVenom7000, on 09 May 2018 - 02:59 PM, said:

 

I dont think that you understand my gripe/issue. I am a heavy tank that is more than happy to go front line and protect my teammates and be the "meat shield". That is the duty of a heavy tank. And yes a shocker, I am upset because a light tank is not spotting and is CAMPING the base (literally next to a td or arty.) He is guarding the base! :facepalm:
Yes I know what driving a light tank means and how hard it is. (I have all the respect for the players who do it properly). Is it a dangerous job? Yes.. But guess what so is every other role if you play it like you should.
If you want to stay away from the dangers then play arty. Every other role involves you getting in to contact with other peoples guns.

I dont expect light tanks to just suicide so I can have 2 seconds of view of my enemies. I am angry when LT are 300m meters behind the heavies and front line. Snipping and hopping someone else will spot a target so he can shoot it with his BB gun. (preferably a stupid heavy tank who will get fed up that LT is not spotting and just advance on their own. And light up enemies as they shoot him to death).
To summarise my issue with LOW tier LT:

1. Camp the base and protect arty (not moving entire game)

2. Thinks they are TD and camps at the back hoping that enemies will reveal themselves once they start shooting at his teammates who are clueless because.... shocker they dont have a LT spotting for them at least 50 meters in front.

3. General lack of education in low tiers on what role each tank needs to do. 
I hope this clears our misunderstanding and makes my statement a bit easier to read. :)

 

 

Hi.

I posted this when I first started playing as I had begun to recognise my own misconceptions.

 

I don't know if it's still relevant, but maybe there are some valid points of use.

 

Hi all.

I am not a good player, let's make that clear from the start, and I expect a huge amount of flak from so-called 'experts', but if this in any way helps anyone, I'm happy.

When we first start playing this game, it's almost impossible to stop ourselves from charging forward, guns blazing, only to discover that we are a smoking wreck within the first few minutes.

 

The reason? It's because we don't understand that this game, and always remember it is a game, actually requires practice, strategy, and an understanding that we light tankers have a very specific role to play.

 

It is our job to light up the enemy so that our bigger, heavier brethren can pound the s**t out of them. You may not feel that this caters for your desire to wreak Armageddon on the enemy that confirms our own self image that we are the biggest, baddest on the field, but we have to be realistic. Our guns are rubbish, our armour is paper thin and there's something a bit 'boring' about sitting in a bush!

 

So how do we avoid instant death, how do we avoid insults in 12 different languages, and how do we actually start to positively contribute to our team?

 

My thoughts are these.

Within the first 60 seconds of the game, we already know where the enemy is. They are in, or very close to, that big red circle. Our team doesn't need you to drive at 100mph, straight up the middle of the map to tell them where they are, they already know.

In the same vein, sitting in your own cap circle also doesn't help. You can try and pretend that you are 'defending the base', but the enemy tanks are miles away, and you are not in a tank that can realistically hold off an attack by the enemy later in the game.

So how do you actually make a difference? Pick a point about 3 or 4 lines up the map, find a bush or building to hide behind, and WAIT.

 

Now, look at the mini-map. Where have the rest of your team gone? Are there obvious gaps? Are there any TD's mediums or heavies that DON't have light tanks with them? Have the rest of your team-mates decided that they all need to drive up the same side of the map thereby leaving us wide open to a flanking maneuver?

This is probably the most important part of your game.

 

Your job is to support your team-mates. If you see a couple of heavies without a spotter, go join them. Move up the map SLOWLY, allowing them time to slowly push forward. Stay a couple of squares in front of them, and when you light up an enemy, FALL BACK and let them do their job. DO NOT try and peek round the corner to take 0.0005 HP off the enemy tank. All you will do is get in the way of your team-mates shot, get blown to smithereens and cause the enemy player to laugh so hard that snot will come out of his/hers nose.

When/if they do their job, resume your position slightly in front of them, rinse and repeat.You will get spotting damage, increase the chance of a win, and, if you're lucky, gain a tiny bit of respect for your efforts.

 

Don't be afraid to relocate if it's all gone belly up. Taking on 2 KV1's all by yourself might make you feel like a hero, but no-one's going to host a fund-raiser to celebrate you're heroism.

 

Later on in the game, you might start to see some enemy tanks that are low on health. Some LT's have a gun that can penetrate, but don't get obsessed with the kill. THINK! Reducing his hit points so I NEARLY killed him  before dying, is not as effective as reducing his hit points, backing off to allow a team-mate to finish him off and  BOTH surviving.

 

Finally.

Learn the game. Learn how spotting and camo works, learn the maps and from the mistakes you made last time, learn about angling your armour, use (and practice) the knowledge contained in the plethora of forums, always play as part of a team, even if no-one else seems to want to, and take heart in the fact that around 80% of ALL players have a victory rate of 50-60% and a survival rate of 30-40%.

 

It's a tough game to master. Don't give up, and don't uninstall it just because half of central Europe say's you should.

 

Happy tanking.



Bordhaw #17 Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 10303 battles
  • 1,745
  • Member since:
    01-29-2017

View PostStinkyStonky, on 09 May 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

Lights can be very rewarding.  It's great to play a <1000HP tank and finish the game with >2k assist.

But it's hugely frustrating to be down to <100HP having been hit a few times and despite spoting 6-8 tanks have <300 assist as your TDs, Arty and HTs didn't shoot anything you spotted.

 

TL;DR Play your own tank.  If you want your team to help you then join a clan and play the team modes.

 

I think it's also important to add that even if the team light is spotting if the TD's, Arty and Heavies are too far back they won;t physically see anything being spotted because of the view/render range. 

So the light is wtf shoot and the TD's etc are wtf spot! 



Bexleyheath #18 Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:34 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 3602 battles
  • 234
  • [K0RV] K0RV
  • Member since:
    01-07-2018

Whenever I play light tanks, I warn my teammates in advance that there will be very little spotting since I will most likely get killed immediately :great:

 

 

...that way, atleast they're prepared for the comming roflstomp from invisible enemies.



Venom7000 #19 Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:40 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 1087 battles
  • 77
  • Member since:
    03-10-2018

View PostBexleyheath, on 09 May 2018 - 07:34 PM, said:

Whenever I play light tanks, I warn my teammates in advance that there will be very little spotting since I will most likely get killed immediately :great:

 

 

...that way, atleast they're prepared for the comming roflstomp from invisible enemies.


I have no words for what you just said. Why are you playing LT if you dont want to do your role? Its like me playing arty and refusing to shoot. Instead of your place in the player queue let someone who wants to play LT properly and benefit the team play. 
I am genuinely lost on words.

 

You going out to spot does not have to be a suicide mission. What separates a good LT driver from bad is that a good one knows his tanks capabilities, creative use of concealment and knowledge of the terrain. 90% of LTs who just rush and dont have these qualities will surely die. Its no different from my heavy tank advancing with out a proper spotting. Its reckless and suicidal.


Spotting is LTs role. Bad players will complain that they always die because the underestimate the skill required and noble hard role that proper LT drivers have. 

Same goes for arty who refuses to relocate, look at his mini-map once per battle and complains...

 

 

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 09 May 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

 

Hi.

I posted this when I first started playing as I had begun to recognise my own misconceptions.

 

I don't know if it's still relevant, but maybe there are some valid points of use.

 

Hi all.

I am not a good player, let's make that clear from the start, and I expect a huge amount of flak from so-called 'experts', but if this in any way helps anyone, I'm happy.

When we first start playing this game, it's almost impossible to stop ourselves from charging forward, guns blazing, only to discover that we are a smoking wreck within the first few minutes.

 

The reason? It's because we don't understand that this game, and always remember it is a game, actually requires practice, strategy, and an understanding that we light tankers have a very specific role to play.

 

It is our job to light up the enemy so that our bigger, heavier brethren can pound the s**t out of them. You may not feel that this caters for your desire to wreak Armageddon on the enemy that confirms our own self image that we are the biggest, baddest on the field, but we have to be realistic. Our guns are rubbish, our armour is paper thin and there's something a bit 'boring' about sitting in a bush!

 

So how do we avoid instant death, how do we avoid insults in 12 different languages, and how do we actually start to positively contribute to our team?

 

My thoughts are these.

Within the first 60 seconds of the game, we already know where the enemy is. They are in, or very close to, that big red circle. Our team doesn't need you to drive at 100mph, straight up the middle of the map to tell them where they are, they already know.

In the same vein, sitting in your own cap circle also doesn't help. You can try and pretend that you are 'defending the base', but the enemy tanks are miles away, and you are not in a tank that can realistically hold off an attack by the enemy later in the game.

So how do you actually make a difference? Pick a point about 3 or 4 lines up the map, find a bush or building to hide behind, and WAIT.

 

Now, look at the mini-map. Where have the rest of your team gone? Are there obvious gaps? Are there any TD's mediums or heavies that DON't have light tanks with them? Have the rest of your team-mates decided that they all need to drive up the same side of the map thereby leaving us wide open to a flanking maneuver?

This is probably the most important part of your game.

 

Your job is to support your team-mates. If you see a couple of heavies without a spotter, go join them. Move up the map SLOWLY, allowing them time to slowly push forward. Stay a couple of squares in front of them, and when you light up an enemy, FALL BACK and let them do their job. DO NOT try and peek round the corner to take 0.0005 HP off the enemy tank. All you will do is get in the way of your team-mates shot, get blown to smithereens and cause the enemy player to laugh so hard that snot will come out of his/hers nose.

When/if they do their job, resume your position slightly in front of them, rinse and repeat.You will get spotting damage, increase the chance of a win, and, if you're lucky, gain a tiny bit of respect for your efforts.

 

Don't be afraid to relocate if it's all gone belly up. Taking on 2 KV1's all by yourself might make you feel like a hero, but no-one's going to host a fund-raiser to celebrate you're heroism.

 

Later on in the game, you might start to see some enemy tanks that are low on health. Some LT's have a gun that can penetrate, but don't get obsessed with the kill. THINK! Reducing his hit points so I NEARLY killed him  before dying, is not as effective as reducing his hit points, backing off to allow a team-mate to finish him off and  BOTH surviving.

 

Finally.

Learn the game. Learn how spotting and camo works, learn the maps and from the mistakes you made last time, learn about angling your armour, use (and practice) the knowledge contained in the plethora of forums, always play as part of a team, even if no-one else seems to want to, and take heart in the fact that around 80% of ALL players have a victory rate of 50-60% and a survival rate of 30-40%.

 

It's a tough game to master. Don't give up, and don't uninstall it just because half of central Europe say's you should.

 

Happy tanking.

 

There are some very valid points here! :)
 
 

View PostBordhaw, on 09 May 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

 

I think it's also important to add that even if the team light is spotting if the TD's, Arty and Heavies are too far back they won;t physically see anything being spotted because of the view/render range. 

So the light is wtf shoot and the TD's etc are wtf spot! 

 

Thats also a good point. But I am not like that I am almost always spearheading the frontline. If you scout for me you bet I will be able to see and shoot the spotted enemies and benefit both of us with XP.
Yes I know what you mean. I have seen those plays as well. That is the other side of the issue, the lazy non deserving of spotting teammates who are too far from light tanks position.

However you as LT dont necessarily have to go 2 km away but always stay just a bit further than the next tanks closes tanks of your frontline. I dont want to have a LT get killed for nothing. I hate that. If I have to chose between saving a teammate I always chose LT instead of any other class to save. LT is too important for a victory (and for us heavies to function)
 

Edited by xxTANK_Uxx, 12 May 2018 - 03:13 PM.


Bexleyheath #20 Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:24 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 3602 battles
  • 234
  • [K0RV] K0RV
  • Member since:
    01-07-2018

View PostVenom7000, on 09 May 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:


...Why are you playing LT if you dont want to do your role?..

 

It's not that I dont WANT to do well, it's that Im not good enough to do so. Which I aim to make abundantly clear to my teammates so they know to tighten their sphincters and pucker up for a hard fight! :D







Also tagged with spotting, scouting, light tanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users