WG considering removing friendly fire damage.

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

NUKLEAR_SLUG #1 Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26618 battles

So says the Frontline patch notes anyway.

"Friendly fire will be disabled in the Frontline mode. There are several reasons for this. First, we want to evaluate the effect of such changes upon the gameplay. We need to understand the changes in players' behaviour and statistics. Of high importance is your feedback regarding such changes: whether such changes are worth introducing to the entire game."

Is this a thing we really want? Not so sure about that..

Bulldog_Drummond #2 Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:30 PM

General

• Player
  • 27837 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 08 May 2018 - 06:21 PM, said:

So says the Frontline patch notes anyway.

"Friendly fire will be disabled in the Frontline mode. There are several reasons for this. First, we want to evaluate the effect of such changes upon the gameplay. We need to understand the changes in players' behaviour and statistics. Of high importance is your feedback regarding such changes: whether such changes are worth introducing to the entire game."

Is this a thing we really want? Not so sure about that..

The idea has some merit

1. It would prevent new players at low tiers being autobanned by accidentally shooting their autoloaders at friendlies that run in front of their target when the are using autoaim.  I have had some 1 hour bans for this and it is an easy mistake to make.
  2. It would stop idiot friendlies who can easily game the ban system putting a shot in you just for the hell of it, typically if you have a premium they can't afford, or are arty
  3. Over-enthusiastic friendly arty wouldn't damage you in a brawl.

I'm sure there are downsides, but there are positives too.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:38 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62764 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Not the first time they have done it for a temporary mode. So it remains to be seen what they do with it later.

Dorander #4 Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17627 battles

I don't personally consider friendly fire a big problem, it happens to me very rarely, both in the receiving or giving end. (mostly the latter). Reducing the annoyance of having to pay credits and xp (even if it's small) 'cause somebody drove into my shot at the last instant, especially given that as the thread words it they only remove the damage and we don't get shoot-through allies, I think the irritation of not hitting my intended target and waiting for reload is more than enough. As long as allies remain solid obstacles that block our line of fire I'm completely fine with the damage component being gone.

It also gets rid of some of the accident bans like Bulldog wrote (though there are alternative scenarios to fix those, really) and honestly, point 2, while I am sure are only a small number of situations relatively speaking should simply be zero. 

Strappster #5 Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:07 PM

General

• Player
  • 23565 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I'm not surprised that it's disabled in a mode where everyone's running around on a much bigger map and tanks can appear from directions you're not expecting. I'm not so comfortable with it being disabled in randoms though. I don't get hit by it often enough for it to be a problem but removing it would take out one of the key teamplay aspects and is more dumbing down that the game doesn't need.

Maybe switch FF off in lower tiers for new players to get used to the game and have it apply on tier 5+ or disabling FF from arty or implementing a system like Warships where once you go pink (blue), any team damage you cause is reflected on you. Any of those or a combination would be reasonable but if it was disabled altogether, I'd be reconsidering if I wanted to continue.

Tipperty #6 Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:23 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19027 battles

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 08 May 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

The idea has some merit

1. It would prevent new players at low tiers being autobanned by accidentally shooting their autoloaders at friendlies that run in front of their target when the are using autoaim.  I have had some 1 hour bans for this and it is an easy mistake to make.
  2. It would stop idiot friendlies who can easily game the ban system putting a shot in you just for the hell of it, typically if you have a premium they can't afford, or are arty

As much as I would like to see this happen, in a way, but more like the WOWS where damage is placed on the guy doing the friendly fire instead of the teammate receiving it.

• 1, They could remove friendly fire in low tiers, but that might train little potatoes to forget about it in medium or higher tiers. So rebound damage, might make them think more.
  • 2, Is that really a thing, teammates shooting you because they can't afford a premium you are driving. Normally I get shot by teammates, 90% by friendly arty and 8% from people redlining and trying to ninja a kill off me or 2% because I got a kill they thought they were entitled to.
  • 3, How arty don't get banned for this I have no idea, so many times in one match I have been hit multiple times by friendly arty and they not getting banned is ridiculous.

Edited by Tipperty, 08 May 2018 - 08:24 PM.

Dorander #7 Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17627 battles

View PostTipperty, on 08 May 2018 - 07:23 PM, said:

• 3, How arty don't get banned for this I have no idea, so many times in one match I have been hit multiple times by friendly arty and they not getting banned is ridiculous.

A big factor in the "points" you get for causing team damage that accrue until you turn blue and get shot or get suspended if you still continue, is how long you've been aiming at the target. Some other factors include the travelling speed(s) of the tanks you have hit, proximity of enemies, stuff like that. Basically the system calculates how intentional the friendly fire probably was.

Since artillery tends to be wildly inaccurate and players frequently drive into your shot after you've fired due to long shell travelling time, large splash areas etc., artillery naturally gets a fair bit of leeway when it comes to team damage. If said artillery were to actually aim at a friendly they'd turn blue just as fast as anyone else. If they are consistently careless and hit friendlies accidentally anyway, they turn blue a little slower than we do when we accidentally get careless but they can't get away with it constantly.

Bit weird how it happens so much to you too, it almost never happens to me... get the enemy arty shells plenty :P.

Vule777 #8 Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20174 battles
This is stupid. As far as I know this game was developed and perfected to be realistic. If they do that then will be just another B class game.

Tipperty #9 Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19027 battles

View PostDorander, on 08 May 2018 - 07:30 PM, said:

A big factor in the "points" you get for causing team damage that accrue until you turn blue and get shot or get suspended if you still continue, is how long you've been aiming at the target. Some other factors include the travelling speed(s) of the tanks you have hit, proximity of enemies, stuff like that. Basically the system calculates how intentional the friendly fire probably was.

Since artillery tends to be wildly inaccurate and players frequently drive into your shot after you've fired due to long shell travelling time, large splash areas etc., artillery naturally gets a fair bit of leeway when it comes to team damage. If said artillery were to actually aim at a friendly they'd turn blue just as fast as anyone else. If they are consistently careless and hit friendlies accidentally anyway, they turn blue a little slower than we do when we accidentally get careless but they can't get away with it constantly.

Bit weird how it happens so much to you too, it almost never happens to me... get the enemy arty shells plenty :P.

Well the fact that the most hated class in the game has a reduced friendly fire calculator is IMO a little tarded. Don't get me wrong, I think there is a lot of great arty players in the game that works with the team and at least warn you with the target beacon, but there is a hell of a lot more that have little care in clicking on a low HP tank you are brawling with just to ninja the kill. And yes, I also get hit with enemy arty shells, just the balance between friendly and enemy at times is a little grey.

View PostVule777, on 08 May 2018 - 07:32 PM, said:

This is stupid. As far as I know this game was developed and perfected to be realistic. If they do that then will be just another B class game.

Since when was this game designed to be realistic, this has always been an arcade style tank game, with some (and I use the word "some" loosely) historic facts.

Edited by Tipperty, 08 May 2018 - 08:41 PM.

Vule777 #10 Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:45 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20174 battles

Well if you see physics, terrain, graphics...for me all was intended to be realistic, maybe they didn't get the top of it but I think that that is their goal, with "some" arcade ofc. That is my opinion but I don't claim that I'm right.

Schepel #11 Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

Major

• Player
  • 56870 battles
Even though it is awsome to get tk ed by lovely people who I wish the very best in life, the game wouldn't be the same without friendly fire.

Dorander #12 Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17627 battles

View PostTipperty, on 08 May 2018 - 07:41 PM, said:

Well the fact that the most hated class in the game has a reduced friendly fire calculator is IMO a little tarded. Don't get me wrong, I think there is a lot of great arty players in the game that works with the team and at least warn you with the target beacon, but there is a hell of a lot more that have little care in clicking on a low HP tank you are brawling with just to ninja the kill. And yes, I also get hit with enemy arty shells, just the balance between friendly and enemy at times is a little grey.

The mechanic revolves around game rules and what can be expected given firing mechanics. Subjective preferences about tank classes don't apply.

Bulldog_Drummond #13 Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:08 PM

General

• Player
  • 27837 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostVule777, on 08 May 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

Well if you see physics, terrain, graphics...for me all was intended to be realistic, maybe they didn't get the top of it but I think that that is their goal, with "some" arcade ofc. That is my opinion but I don't claim that I'm right.

It is unlikely that a realistic game would include:

• Hit points
  • Shells that rarely miss
  • Resurrection of dead crew members
  • No penalty for 1 or 2 man turrets
  • Unbelievable view range
  • Increasing skills by eating chocolate
  • Turret cupola "weak points"
  • 15 vs 15 multi-national games spanning 30 years of tank design
  • Seeing tanks on the other side of the hill
  • Arty snipers
  • Bogus "blueprint" tanks
  • Ability to drive over dragon's teeth
  • Ramming
  • Etc etc

It's an entertaining game, but let's not call it realistic

It

Edited by Bulldog_Drummond, 08 May 2018 - 09:09 PM.

Vule777 #14 Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20174 battles
Ok, but if they cut friendly fire than it will be like game with open world but the river is restricted.

superfly2000 #15 Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 76561 battles
  • [SFLY] SFLY
Frontline mode is more like a Tank Pinball game so there it doesn't matter much...for the standar game it should stay. It is the players brains that need to change.

WindSplitter1 #16 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14289 battles
  • [RYNO] RYNO

View Postsuperfly2000, on 08 May 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

Frontline mode is more like a Tank Pinball game so there it doesn't matter much...for the standar game it should stay. It is the players brains that need to change.

Will never happen.

Not in this community.

VarzA #17 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17396 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

One more step towards turning this game even more arcade-y.

It would badly affect immersion.

The reason they want to implement this is because their friendly fire system is an absolute failure and they know it.

Homer_J #18 Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:32 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27023 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 08 May 2018 - 07:30 PM, said:

The idea has some merit

1. just needs a tweak of the auto TK system to be more lenient to newbies with autocannons.  Could get abused but only if people learn about it.

2. It would open it wide up to idiot team mates who want to drive in front of you and block your shot for lols.

3. That again just needs the FF system tweaking.  I have no idea why arty gets treat so leniently at the moment.  Maybe because so many people ignore arty marking it's targets and drive in anyway, which brings us back to 2.

The downsides far outweigh the positives, of which there are none which can't be dealt with in another way.

HeidenSieker #19 Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:10 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostDorander, on 08 May 2018 - 08:30 PM, said:

A big factor in the "points" you get for causing team damage that accrue until you turn blue and get shot or get suspended if you still continue, is how long you've been aiming at the target. Some other factors include the travelling speed(s) of the tanks you have hit, proximity of enemies, stuff like that. 

That is very interesting. Can you point me at the source of your information, please?

Search_Warrant #20 Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:12 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 25990 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Only thing friend fire is good for is griefing others. i never saw a point to it in the first place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users