Different ways for WG to monetise their game and help game balance

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

_Anarchistic_ #1 Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36560 battles

So

for many players one issue is pay to win, gold ammo (I know, its no longer 'gold;), premium consumables etc give players a competitive advantage in return for the credit card.  likewise premium tanks have a competitive advantage as they can fire full gold and still make credits (lowe for example is a favourite of mine and one of a few tanks with the gold ammo tied to the 1 key), especially at lower tiers.  I accept there are a few exception like t92, is-6, possibly Chrysler etc

would it be better if WG did a standard account system where you can only have 10 tanks, the number of garage slots you start with, or alternatively you could only research two nations tech trees and if you want to research more you need a premium account to unlock those lines or extra garage slots?

also a standard account not allowed premium tanks, or perhaps no premium tanks outside of your chosen nations

this would enable wg to really rework their ammo mechanics and make APCR, HESH, HEAT etc really interesting alternative selections with real pros and cons as opposed to a simple extra pen or extra damage pay to win mechanic

likewise you could have a standard account, premium account (all tank nations) and an ultimate account, the latter having perks like map elimination (mines encounter for me) and limited arty of max 1 per game or old tanks removed from game are always available, E25, Defender, deathstar etc?

WG can make extra money from camo, tank customisation (logs, black skins, current penants), premium tanks, garage slots etc as now

just thought I would throw this out there as an idea

Edited by _Anarchistic_, 09 May 2018 - 12:06 AM.

TsundereWaffle #2 Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:14 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26579 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
So you’re saying WG should lock 90% of the game behind a paywall? Great idea!

Spurtung #3 Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:17 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 61586 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 09 May 2018 - 01:02 AM, said:

would it be better if WG did a standard account system where you can only have 10 tanks, the number of garage slots you start with, or alternatively you could only research two nations tech trees and if you want to research more you need a premium account to unlock those lines or extra garage slots?

also a standard account not allowed premium tanks, or perhaps no premium tanks outside of your chosen nations

People shouldn't be able to get premium tanks unless they have a premium account? Did I just read that?

_Anarchistic_ #4 Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36560 battles

View PostTsundereWaffle, on 09 May 2018 - 12:14 AM, said:

So you’re saying WG should lock 90% of the game behind a paywall? Great idea!

View PostSpurtung, on 09 May 2018 - 12:17 AM, said:

People shouldn't be able to get premium tanks unless they have a premium account? Did I just read that?

just chucking ideas out there, no harm in having a debate,

as a 7 year player of EVE its similar to their concept and that game is HUGE

fair points tho

Edited by _Anarchistic_, 09 May 2018 - 12:28 AM.

Spurtung #5 Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:28 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 61586 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 09 May 2018 - 01:24 AM, said:

just chucking ideas out there, no harm in having a debate,

fair points tho

So what if you could only get premium account after purchasing at least 10 tier 8 premium tanks? Does that fit your idea chuckling program, or can we agree it's equally ridiculous?

_Anarchistic_ #6 Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36560 battles

View PostSpurtung, on 09 May 2018 - 12:28 AM, said:

So what if you could only get premium account after purchasing at least 10 tier 8 premium tanks? Does that fit your idea chuckling program, or can we agree it's equally ridiculous?

that would not be consistent with premium tanks only being available for premium accounts

I edited my previous post

Spurtung #7 Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:32 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 61586 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 09 May 2018 - 01:30 AM, said:

that would not be consistent with premium tanks only being available for premium accounts

I edited my previous post

But it's totally in line with premium account only being available for premium tanks.

Strappster #8 Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:37 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 08 May 2018 - 11:24 PM, said:

just chucking ideas out there, no harm in having a debate

:D

You must be new here. Good luck with that. :great:

fighting_falcon93 #9 Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:00 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 29745 battles
  • I agree with your that premium ammo and premium consumables are a big problem, one that hopefully will get fixed ASAP.
  • I completely disagree with you regarding your suggestion. It sounds horrible. So everyone not paying for a premium account will be forced to only have 10 tanks?
  • I wonder, what happens to a player that had 100 tanks on his premium account, and then the premium account expired? Which tanks get sold?

Spurtung #10 Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:18 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 61586 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View Postfighting_falcon93, on 09 May 2018 - 02:00 AM, said:

• I wonder, what happens to a player that had 100 tanks on his premium account, and then the premium account expired? Which tanks get sold?

I suppose they'll be traded-in (half gold's worth) one by one. Every time one gets traded, the gold is used to purchase as many single 1day/250g as possible to keep premium status. When no more tanks are available and the account becomes standard, 1 random tank of each nation remains (or respective tier 1 appears when none), everything else including garage slots get wiped. Only fair.

Just chuckling ideas.

_Anarchistic_ #11 Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36560 battles

View PostSpurtung, on 09 May 2018 - 01:18 AM, said:

I suppose they'll be traded-in (half gold's worth) one by one. Every time one gets traded, the gold is used to purchase as many single 1day/250g as possible to keep premium status. When no more tanks are available and the account becomes standard, 1 random tank of each nation remains (or respective tier 1 appears when none), everything else including garage slots get wiped. Only fair.

Just chuckling ideas.

why sell them, just let him choose 10 then rest get blocked, if he decides in future they be there when he gets premium account running again

however, I have to say I barely play more than 10 tanks now anyway, rest don't really make the grade

Spurtung #12 Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:35 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 61586 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 09 May 2018 - 04:53 AM, said:

why sell them, just let him choose 10 then rest get blocked, if he decides in future they be there when he gets premium account running again

however, I have to say I barely play more than 10 tanks now anyway, rest don't really make the grade

How dense are you? You really think they should hold hostage something people paid for until they pay up more? :amazed:

RamRaid90 #13 Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:06 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20586 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

You are part of Skill4ltu's clan?

Did you ask him about this idea?

I'm sure he'd think it was hilarious too.

Let me break it down for you.

There are two ways to enjoy the benefits of a premium account in this game:

1. Buying regular premium account, aimed at those with jobs who can finance regular payments.
  2. Buying a premium tank, aimed at younger audiences in particular who may have to save to spend on a game.

Both give the same credit booster one provides increased XP, the other increased crew xp.

Edited by RamRaid90, 09 May 2018 - 05:13 AM.

Makotti #14 Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:58 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13318 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

So

for many players one issue is pay to win, gold ammo (I know, its no longer 'gold;), premium consumables etc give players a competitive advantage in return for the credit card.  likewise premium tanks have a competitive advantage as they can fire full gold and still make credits (lowe for example is a favourite of mine and one of a few tanks with the gold ammo tied to the 1 key), especially at lower tiers.  I accept there are a few exception like t92, is-6, possibly Chrysler etc

Err...

What prem consumables have to do with credit card ? And why spam gold with Löwe, it has quite nice pen with std AP ?

I'd say the monetizing dept. is making good work already. It's working concept where you can play free if you want and if you want chip some cash in you can get some quality of life improvements. Nothing that you NEED to have but what eases things up, cost is on par with most of monthly fee games if you purchase month by month, if you buy it yearly basis (and have some discount coupon which they threw around like candy) cost is just couple euros per month.

Premium tanks are another issue though. There's fine line balancing them because nobody wants to put in real cash to have inferior vehicles than tech tree and in same time not making them P2W. Mainly they've doing good job but 252U was a harsh P2W-overdoing and hopefully they don't sell it anymore. Price would be another issue, recent times I've been playing also DCS World and they sell aircraft modules that takes literally years to do research, code and maintain at price of one premium tank.

In recent years I have bought prem tanks and prem time. And still, seeing how many years I have been playing this game I'd say cost per month has been less that what I had to spend another MMORPG earlier.

It's very delicate to balance things that bigger part of customerbase is feeling satisfied and keeps playing the game, all in all I'd say they're doing great job.

IncandescentGerbil #15 Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35666 battles
Add "super premium account" option. Charge paying customers twice as much each month for better MM. Watch the XVM guys' heads explode, as they try to convince players their dumbass stats are still relevant. Win win.
I'd pay for that.

Edited by IncandescentGerbil, 09 May 2018 - 10:38 AM.

Jigabachi #16 Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

WoT has one of the most fair monetisation systems on the f2p market. Suddenly turning that into a p2p system would be a VERY bad idea. For obvious reasons.

As an alternative, they could start fixing and balancing their game and improve the relationship with their customers, so people might find it reasonable to give them their money.

Kozzy #17 Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:11 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

Me after reading these ideas:

Simeon85 #18 Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 1097 battles

I've always thought WG should offer starter packages for each nation or tech tree line that basically start you are tier 5 on that particular tech tree, come with some gold, premium time, a tier 5 or 6 premium trainer for that line and a crew say trained to first skill (with skills already chosen to suit that vehicle).

It would be like 30 Euros or something. 

mainly because lower tiers IMO is crazy and doesn;'t really teach you much about the game, plus the grind to get to tier 5 and get competitive crews etc. completely puts people off. 

So for example you could have the 'USA Medium starter package' that comes with -

- Fully upgraded M4 Sherman with optics, rammer and vents equipment.

- Crew trained in SS commander, and other appropriate skills on the other crew.

- A Thunderbolt as the premium crew trainer.

- 1k gold

- 2 million credits

- 1 week premium.

- Maybe some starter pack exclusive camos and emblems. 

+ comes with guides and tutorials on how to play the game in general and your specific tank line.

Something like that. 

I'd bet you tempt more players into the game that way and they'd probabluy buy more of the packs and they'd miss the horrible auto-cannon, derp gun, seal clubber infested mess that is lower tiers. 

IncandescentGerbil #19 Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35666 battles

View PostKozzy, on 09 May 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

Me after reading these ideas:

I was being facetious. My opinion remains the same: WG has dug itself too deep a hole to ever find a way out.

Geno1isme #20 Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 41469 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

Might be an option if we'd talk about designing a new game. Restricting existing accounts now is an absolutely horrible idea and could even be illegal in the first place. At most you could put new content behind a paywall if you can endure the MASSIVE shitstorm it would create.

Edited by Geno1isme, 09 May 2018 - 11:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users