Jump to content


Gifts from mysterious benefactors.


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

HeidenSieker #1 Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:04 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 10046 battles
  • 4,427
  • Member since:
    03-26-2016

I noticed in the blurb shown before a battle: "Security above everything. Do not accept gifts from unknown users".

 

What can go wrong?

 

 



Homer_J #2 Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:08 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • 27,749
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

Someone buys you something then makes a chargeback.  Their account gets locked and so does yours.

 

There was also a bit of a scam a while back where people were offering cheap gold but they were buying it with stolen credit cards or hacked Paypal accounts and through hacked WoT accounts.



Baldrickk #3 Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:08 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29077 battles
  • 12,904
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
  • Member since:
    03-03-2013

View PostHeidenSieker, on 10 May 2018 - 11:04 PM, said:

I noticed in the blurb shown before a battle: "Security above everything. Do not accept gifts from unknown users".

 

What can go wrong?

It's not unknown for someone to buy you a gift, then issue a chargeback against WG.

 

They get their money back you get your gift, WG is out of pocket.

As you have, or have used the gift on your account, WG will block your account until they are paid what they are owed.

 

View PostHomer_J, on 10 May 2018 - 11:08 PM, said:

Someone buys you something then makes a chargeback.  Their account gets locked and so does yours.

 

There was also a bit of a scam a while back where people were offering cheap gold but they were buying it with stolen credit cards or hacked Paypal accounts and through hacked WoT accounts.

 You don't need to be logged in to purchase a gift (i don't think).

Even if you do, you only need a throwaway email address to create one.


 

Itchy_Pants #4 Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:29 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 3128 battles
  • 6
  • Member since:
    03-11-2018

View PostBaldrickk, on 10 May 2018 - 11:08 PM, said:

It's not unknown for someone to buy you a gift, then issue a chargeback against WG.

 

They get their money back you get your gift, WG is out of pocket.

As you have, or have used the gift on your account, WG will block your account until they are paid what they are owed.

 

Unless I've just had a couple too many beers and I'm missing something, there doesn't sound like there's any monetary gain for the fraudulent gifter here. Is it just out of sheer malice or trollery?



Homer_J #5 Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:33 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • 27,749
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostBaldrickk, on 10 May 2018 - 11:10 PM, said:

 You don't need to be logged in to purchase a gift (i don't think).

Even if you do, you only need a throwaway email address to create one.

 

Are you sure?  It's not something I tried.

 

And after the scams they tightened things up, some accounts found they couldn't gift at all.  Probably some algorithm comparing gifts to purchases.  One of the bloggers (I forget which one) had to enlist help to give away some prizes he had promised.

 

View PostItchy_Pants, on 10 May 2018 - 11:29 PM, said:

 

Unless I've just had a couple too many beers and I'm missing something, there doesn't sound like there's any monetary gain for the fraudulent gifter here. Is it just out of sheer malice or trollery?

 

You spam adverts for cheap gold in game.  Have people wire you the money.  Make the gift.  Looks like it works.  They buy more.  3 weeks later the chargeback comes through.  You still have the money, everyone else has the mess.
 

Baldrickk #6 Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:33 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29077 battles
  • 12,904
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
  • Member since:
    03-03-2013

View PostHomer_J, on 10 May 2018 - 11:33 PM, said:

 

Are you sure?  It's not something I tried.

 

And after the scams they tightened things up, some accounts found they couldn't gift at all.  Probably some algorithm comparing gifts to purchases.  One of the bloggers (I forget which one) had to enlist help to give away some prizes he had promised.

Me neither, but how else are people meant to buy their little darlings that premium tank they want and are throwing a tantrum over when they don't play the game themselves?

 

There is most likely a restriction on what payment types you can use for gifts, and this may be done by location too.



jack_timber #7 Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:55 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 31221 battles
  • 1,616
  • Member since:
    07-26-2014

Never accept sweets from strangers is what you tell your kids similar to WoT then.

Never had a gift offered but do you have to accept it?



jabster #8 Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12516 battles
  • 21,747
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View Postjack_timber, on 11 May 2018 - 06:55 AM, said:

Never accept sweets from strangers is what you tell your kids similar to WoT then.

Never had a gift offered but do you have to accept it?

 

Nope, leave it long enough (can’t remember how long) and it expires.

VarzA #9 Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:49 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 17514 battles
  • 1,051
  • [USAGI] USAGI
  • Member since:
    06-17-2011

View PostItchy_Pants, on 10 May 2018 - 11:29 PM, said:

 

Unless I've just had a couple too many beers and I'm missing something, there doesn't sound like there's any monetary gain for the fraudulent gifter here. Is it just out of sheer malice or trollery?

 

This is probably the most toxic community in any MMO, and WG has the attitude of 'sc*** the customer, where's my money b***h' .... what do you think ?

Baldrickk #10 Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:03 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29077 battles
  • 12,904
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
  • Member since:
    03-03-2013

View PostVarzA, on 11 May 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

 

This is probably the most toxic community in any MMO, and WG has the attitude of 'sc*** the customer, where's my money b***h' .... what do you think ?

 they're a company, and this sort of scam is theft so...



Homer_J #11 Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • 27,749
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-03-2010

View PostBaldrickk, on 11 May 2018 - 07:33 AM, said:

Me neither, but how else are people meant to buy their little darlings that premium tank they want and are throwing a tantrum over when they don't play the game themselves?

 

There is most likely a restriction on what payment types you can use for gifts, and this may be done by location too.

 

Same way as I pay for my son's addiction to CS:GO items, they put their CC or Paypal details in while logged into the kids WoT account.
 

View PostVarzA, on 11 May 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

 

This is probably the most toxic community in any MMO, and WG has the attitude of 'sc*** the customer, where's my money b***h' .... what do you think ?

 

If you are not paying then you are not a customer.

 

I suppose you are happy to see people wheel a trolley load of groceries out of the supermarket without paying too?


 

BravelyRanAway #12 Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

    General

  • Beta Tester
  • 22194 battles
  • 8,105
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
  • Member since:
    12-29-2010

View PostVarzA, on 11 May 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

 

This is probably the most toxic community in any MMO, and WG has the attitude of 'sc*** the customer, where's my money b***h' .... what do you think ?

 

It's an industry standard to block accounts if there is a charge-back.....it's not just WG.

jabster #13 Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 12516 battles
  • 21,747
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    12-30-2010

View PostVarzA, on 11 May 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

 

This is probably the most toxic community in any MMO, and WG has the attitude of 'sc*** the customer, where's my money b***h' .... what do you think ?

 

So what exactly do you think WG should do?

VarzA #14 Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:10 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 17514 battles
  • 1,051
  • [USAGI] USAGI
  • Member since:
    06-17-2011

View PostBaldrickk, on 11 May 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

 they're a company, and this sort of scam is theft so...

 

Off-c but they can always offer the account who received something to have it removed (or remove what was purchased with it if that is the case), it doesn't have to be an account lockdown.

 

It's that bit that makes this attractive to abuse for some ppl.


Edited by VarzA, 13 May 2018 - 12:11 AM.


BravelyRanAway #15 Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:26 AM

    General

  • Beta Tester
  • 22194 battles
  • 8,105
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T
  • Member since:
    12-29-2010

View PostVarzA, on 12 May 2018 - 11:10 PM, said:

 

Off-c but they can always offer the account who received something to have it removed (or remove what was purchased with it if that is the case), it doesn't have to be an account lockdown.

 

It's that bit that makes this attractive to abuse for some ppl.

A chargeback fee for a company can cost a lot of money depending on the bank and country in which you are located. £5 to £15 per chargeback in the UK, raising to $100-240 per chargeback in the USA. It is not a costless transaction and the cost is carried by the company supplying the product/digital content.

If someone uses a parents credit card(without permission) or steals a credit card and uses it to load their account, well, you don't want to encourage that sort of thing. It is a standard business practise for all companies using online transactions for business to operate this way to protect themselves.

In the last Gold selling scam on WoT( a few years ago)....someone worked out the cost to WG of the six months(backcharge time limit) of backcharged transactions was over €300,000 just in bank fees. 

Edit:-BTW, it was done using the gift option, but as WG has always said, there is no other way to buy Gold except through them....so it's best to know who is sending you the gift, as WG cannot tell if you have 'bought' the gift through a transaction elsewhere.


Edited by BravelyRanAway, 13 May 2018 - 10:33 AM.


Slyspy #16 Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 14169 battles
  • 16,340
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-07-2011

View PostVarzA, on 13 May 2018 - 12:10 AM, said:

 

Off-c but they can always offer the account who received something to have it removed (or remove what was purchased with it if that is the case), it doesn't have to be an account lockdown.

 

It's that bit that makes this attractive to abuse for some ppl.

 

I believe that is exactly what they do. They lock the account to prevent further issues and then arrange an action plan with the closed account. That plan may be the return of unused goods or payment for used items. Then the account will be released. Sucks to pay twice of course, but then people should be more careful. 

Baldrickk #17 Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29077 battles
  • 12,904
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
  • Member since:
    03-03-2013

View PostSlyspy, on 13 May 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

 

I believe that is exactly what they do. They lock the account to prevent further issues and then arrange an action plan with the closed account. That plan may be the return of unused goods or payment for used items. Then the account will be released. Sucks to pay twice of course, but then people should be more careful. 

Who's paying twice?

Unless you've used a shady "cheap gold" site, in which case you were never going to get anything out of it. The gold was just going to appear in you account as a way of "laundering" the cash you give them.

You are not in any worse off position than if they ran off with your money - only this way you might have a chance to leave them a positive review before your account gets locked.



mpf1959 #18 Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:37 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 10457 battles
  • 307
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    10-29-2017

I feel so naive, I never even knew this type of stuff might happen, but then this is the only online game I've ever played, what a world eh?

I certainly wont be accepting any gifts should they be offered.



loot_the_supermarket #19 Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:07 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 2568 battles
  • 90
  • Member since:
    01-03-2017

View Postmpf1959, on 13 May 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

I feel so naive, I never even knew this type of stuff might happen, but then this is the only online game I've ever played, what a world eh?

I certainly wont be accepting any gifts should they be offered.

 

I've sent plenty of gifts to other players, sometimes after a battle for some reason or another, or a new wot streamer who actually looks like they'll persist at the game for more than a week or two. Never had any rejected, just once a gift went unclaimed and then i got some gold back after a month or so.

I usually just wish the player luck in the gift message, nothing else.

 

Sad really, i suspect the chances of a charge back con are vanishingly thin in reality.


Edited by loot_the_supermarket, 13 May 2018 - 05:07 PM.


Hardass #20 Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Beta Tester
  • 32541 battles
  • 1,159
  • Member since:
    08-03-2010

All boils down to A if its too good be true dont it probably is a scam and B if you were not expecting a gift you have the option to refuse it so do just that.

 

Think to yourself how much have i put into this account to risk it ? but then again there are always the greedy ones that will try.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users