Is it possible Frontline can make WOT fun again?

Frontline.match making tier spread corridor maps.

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Is it possible Frontline can make WOT fun again? (143 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Would you like to see Random battles with no tier spread?

1. Yes (96 votes [65.75%])

Percentage of vote: 65.75%

2. No (50 votes [34.25%])

Percentage of vote: 34.25%

Would you like to see Frontline stay as is but with a different tier 5-10 each month?

1. Yes (94 votes [65.73%])

Percentage of vote: 65.73%

2. No (49 votes [34.27%])

Percentage of vote: 34.27%

Would you like to see more Frontline style non corridor maps in Random battles?

1. Yes (126 votes [88.11%])

Percentage of vote: 88.11%

2. No (17 votes [11.89%])

Percentage of vote: 11.89%

Vote Hide poll

clixor #21 Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:14 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 54597 battles

View Post250swb, on 12 May 2018 - 07:17 PM, said:

Permanent Frontline mode would destroy WOT. 

To to start with it would distort progression in the game, anybody with hours to spare no matter how skilled will be able to grind massive credits that don't reflect their ability. So you get 45% noobs with a garage full of tier X tanks with almost no effort. You'd get players avoiding Random battles because it would affect their stats. It would destroy any other novel game mode, you'd have Random, competing with Frontline, competing with ....whatever. Most of all there is no comeback in Frontline mode, if you get killed who cares, you respawn, you don't lose overall stats, you just shoot and giggle, in the long term how satisfying is that going to be? So the player base will become less skilled, there is no jeopardy, you can't actually lose a battle even if the battle is lost because you don't lose anything that is intrinsically valuable to pride, like WR.

I can see why Frontline appeals as an 'event', but just because it is fun and frivolous it doesn't mean it is good for the game, I just wish people would think to the survival of WOT and not short term inanity, it would be the end. But on the other hand maybe WOT needs to end, players seem to have no ambitions anymore other than getting easy credits.

Even if FL would be permanent, players would still need to grind anything but tier8 xp outside FL. And besides that, for the average bob doing like 5k dmg in ONE FL battle or so, credit making is not insane or even better than randoms.

FL however IS a fundamental break with WOT used to be, endless respawns take away all what's left of tactical gameplay, hp management etc. But at this point i don't think it really matters. The majority of wot players just suck at this game in randoms, and i do think respawn and less overall impact of a single player in the battle make the game more fun for those bobs. Really good players will for the same reasons get bored of FL. So what i'm noticing already is that, even with the 5x event today, there were more skilled players on average in randoms. All in all i guess that's a good thing.

Bulldog_Drummond #22 Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:54 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33118 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO

View Postclixor, on 12 May 2018 - 11:14 PM, said:

Even if FL would be permanent, players would still need to grind anything but tier8 xp outside FL. And besides that, for the average bob doing like 5k dmg in ONE FL battle or so, credit making is not insane or even better than randoms.

FL however IS a fundamental break with WOT used to be, endless respawns take away all what's left of tactical gameplay, hp management etc. But at this point i don't think it really matters. The majority of wot players just suck at this game in randoms, and i do think respawn and less overall impact of a single player in the battle make the game more fun for those bobs. Really good players will for the same reasons get bored of FL. So what i'm noticing already is that, even with the 5x event today, there were more skilled players on average in randoms. All in all i guess that's a good thing.

I'm hardly a "really good player" but I got bored of FL after 3 minutes.

NoobySkooby #23 Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:03 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16975 battles
  • [D3NK] D3NK
Never been in FL yet, something I must try out one day

breeeze #24 Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:38 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37231 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 12 May 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

No to all

FL is just a trick by which competent players can slaughter noobs and get credits

The noobs of course lose lose credits

WG wins because the noobs end up buying some Tier 8 premiums, in which they continue to lose credits

Exactly in what way is that different from random games? Also, if you lose credits in FL you are doing something very very wrong.

Derethim #25 Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:38 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 18891 battles
Yep to all.

mjs_89 #26 Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:38 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8484 battles
  • [95137] 95137

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 12 May 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

I simply put it out there for what it is.

I'm an average player and in 5 games of FL with decent premium tanks and very little premium ammo use, I have made a net overall loss.

If I can manage that then you can bet that 75% of the player base can also lose money on it.

I'm not much better than you and manage to make profit each round playing reguar tier 8 lights 70% of the time, running prem med and repkits and firing some gold shells. It is beyond me how you could lose money in FL, besides refusing to use your left mouse hutton.

Git gud.

Edited by mjs_89, 13 May 2018 - 03:40 AM.

DracheimFlug #27 Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:15 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10000 battles

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 13 May 2018 - 12:54 AM, said:

I'm hardly a "really good player" but I got bored of FL after 3 minutes.

I'm not a heavy drinker but like rum and do not like vodka..... not everything is equally liked by everyone. Strange concept, I know :)

Frostilicus #28 Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:41 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 23551 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-

Choice, that's what FL brings to the table.

If I want to play some randoms to advance missions etc I can roll out in my tier 6/7 tanks.

If I want to play some premium tier 8 tonks and actually have a use for them, I can play FL

If I want to play some premium tier 8 tonks and get battered by MM most of the time, I can play Randoms too :)

_Anarchistic_ #29 Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 48524 battles
  • [XPRO] XPRO

not voted

I like frontline, its fun

but only 1 map is boring

need 15 new maps all this size and game might actually be good, and those maps in randoms, not just frontline mode

Balc0ra #30 Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:02 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 72718 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostWindSplitter1, on 12 May 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

WG had developed a few other maps too. But seems like they did not enter in our current FL iteration.

Yeah they did some other variables etc on their dev video from like a year ago. But HD maps have come since then. So could be they did not bother converting it. Since it takes 90 days for a 1 by 1km map. I suspect this would take a bit longer.

But it def needs more then one map. I've played it 4 days so far this first week for 4 hours or longer each time. And I'm already getting bored of the map. Not the mode, but the map. So once I get 3rd prestige "Rank 26 on the 2nd one atm". I need a week off before I might bother to farm it again for 1K bonds and more credits and crew xp.

View Postclixor, on 13 May 2018 - 12:14 AM, said:

Well if it was tier 9 or X, credit input would be way less due to lack of premium tank income. Tho permanent might ruin the flow or the eco system if you will in terms of economics and XP on one tier, as tier 8 MM in randoms is even worse when FL is active now. But having it on and off now and then. Even on different tiers to mix it up would still be good for it. As others have pointed out. It's a great break from randoms, and so far have been great for crew training and income. But on other tiers later it might be good for something else.

Edited by Balc0ra, 13 May 2018 - 09:03 AM.

the_nebuchadnezzar #31 Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:10 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 54197 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
Played just one battle and it was enough to not wanted to play it againg. Chaotic map, chaotic gameplay and dubios credit earnings (lost credits in a game I reach General), plus bad fps and mini freezes... "perfect" combo. Randoms are way more logic then this...

kaneloon #32 Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:32 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 30946 battles
  • [RHIN0] RHIN0

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 13 May 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

Played just one battle and it was enough to not wanted to play it againg. Chaotic map, chaotic gameplay and dubios credit earnings (lost credits in a game I reach General), plus bad fps and mini freezes... "perfect" combo. Randoms are way more logic then this...

One battle is a bit short to have a good idea on FL.

But as it goes, some players know the map well now, and with good premium tds (s1, skorp, chinese one) can hold some places endlessly or long enough.

Full tiers battle have problems too : op tanks get the best of it.

Imagine t67 in FL tiers V ...

Baldrickk #33 Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:35 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
I don't know how or can be claimed that it's not a corridor map.
It's pretty much all corridors and high cliffs.
Flanking is impossible to do well because it leads to getting shot by respawning tanks appearing and having you in a bad position despite having killed them already, so it ends up just being frontal engagements.
Such fun.

Danger__UXB #34 Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:44 AM

Major

• Player
  • 9786 battles

View PostFrostilicus, on 13 May 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

Choice, that's what FL brings to the table.

For me it brings choice in other ways aswell..

Ive found myself actually looking at using tanks ive not touched for a good year or so due to powercreep in randoms..ie the ISU152 when in defense is a blast hitting the enemy for 750 a pop in the huge kill zones when defending

your base..

Also im starting to play lights alot more than i would as their speed opens up huge possibilities for you on maps this big.

...So yes!..It brings choice in many ways

Mr_Burrows #35 Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 48533 battles
  • [D-NUT] D-NUT

Frontline put a fresh breath of air into WoT. I dare say it is the best thing that has happened to this game since I began playing it back in -12. 

The mode feels non-restricted. The mode feels new and exciting. And the mode gives your tanks the ample space to actually DO things according to what they were designed for to do: Flank, bully, scout, snipe. 

And since I have played this game for a long time I happen to have not so few tier 8's in my garage (and have sold quite a few over the years). This makes the tier 8 mode of Frontline just perfect. A game mode where even the old IS-6 sorta works?! Gimme, please! 
I have even begun thinking about bringing back the rusted away T34 into the game. Hull down it is a beast in pure tier 8 battles. 

And I firmly believe that the one thing about Frontline, besides the long game time, the amazing map and the freshness of it all, is that it is restricted to one tier only. I believe that bringing that out of the equation, adding several tiers to each battle just as in randoms, would take away much of the good "feel" from the game mode. 

For once, Mr Burrows says "Great work, leave it as it is!"

arthurwellsley #36 Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 54060 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

Would you like to see Random battles with no tier spread? No. World of Tanks has been highly successful with the +/- 2 MM (and was with +/- 3 mm) for sufficient time to have proved it works for progression as a business model. Unless WG believes they can survive and profit on a +/- 1 mm I am not going to ask for it. I want to keep playing and not have the servers close.

Would you like to see Frontline stay as is but with a different tier 5-10 each month? No. Again the whole game is balanced on grinding up tiers in random battles and having regular FL at different tiers might unbalance the business model. In addition the maps would need to be altered. Smaller for lower tiers, larger for higher tiers.

Would you like to see more Frontline style non corridor maps in Random battles? The FL maps do have corridors. Perhaps less noticeable than the other maps, because the other maps are smaller. But corridors are there in the FL map nonetheless.

FL will not work well for tiers IX and X as there are no money earning premium tanks at those tiers.

Tiers V, VI, and VII would be viable for FL if the map was slightly smaller.

Frostilicus #37 Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 23551 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-

View PostDanger_UXB_, on 13 May 2018 - 08:44 AM, said:

For me it brings choice in other ways aswell..

Ive found myself actually looking at using tanks ive not touched for a good year or so due to powercreep in randoms..ie the ISU152 when in defense is a blast hitting the enemy for 750 a pop in the huge kill zones when defending

your base..

Also im starting to play lights alot more than i would as their speed opens up huge possibilities for you on maps this big.

...So yes!..It brings choice in many ways

Agree entirely, I've actually taken my CDC and FCM50 out for a spin in this mode, and will be trying the ISU when I get home later :)

BodyGuardOfLies #38 Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 95091 battles

View PostWindSplitter1, on 12 May 2018 - 06:40 PM, said:

WG had developed a few other maps too. But seems like they did not enter in our current FL iteration.

New maps are always welcome

anonym_MSqPBzxRtsaO #39 Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 0 battles

I agree with BodyGuardOfLies and his stance on Frontline mode. Given the massive size of WoT's playerbase I doubt there's risk this gamemode will 'ruin' the others (Frontline being WG's answer to AW's Global Ops imho, but AW's playerbase has been on life support for a long time, whereas WoT keeps thriving), and we could use an alternative to brainless randoms as well.

So yeah, I'm in favor of making Frontline a permanent feature and also would love for single tier spread MM in randoms - the brief time this was a thing, playing Tier 8 was enjoyable as you were not just food for Tier 10 goldspamming scrubs.

As for rotating tiers every month that might be nice, though given the majority of premiums sits at Tier 8 and WG wants to make money, it could be in their best interest to leave Frontline as Tier 8 only - both to increase prem sales, and to egg players to grind up to that tier.

BodyGuardOfLies #40 Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 95091 battles

View Postarthurwellsley, on 13 May 2018 - 08:46 AM, said:

Would you like to see Random battles with no tier spread? No. World of Tanks has been highly successful with the +/- 2 MM (and was with +/- 3 mm) for sufficient time to have proved it works for progression as a business model. Unless WG believes they can survive and profit on a +/- 1 mm I am not going to ask for it. I want to keep playing and not have the servers close.

Would you like to see Frontline stay as is but with a different tier 5-10 each month? No. Again the whole game is balanced on grinding up tiers in random battles and having regular FL at different tiers might unbalance the business model. In addition the maps would need to be altered. Smaller for lower tiers, larger for higher tiers.

Would you like to see more Frontline style non corridor maps in Random battles? The FL maps do have corridors. Perhaps less noticeable than the other maps, because the other maps are smaller. But corridors are there in the FL map nonetheless.

FL will not work well for tiers IX and X as there are no money earning premium tanks at those tiers.

Tiers V, VI, and VII would be viable for FL if the map was slightly smaller.

"World of Tanks has been highly successful with the +/- 2 MM (and was with +/- 3 mm) for sufficient time to have proved it works for progression as a business model. Unless WG believes they can survive and profit on a +/- 1 mm I am not going to ask for it. I want to keep playing and not have the servers close."

By your own admission they have already altered the tier spread once without the world coming to an end. Just because you say the servers would close doesn;t mean they would. Also who is to say that the many millions of players that have left the game would not have stayed and might return but for the tier spread. 

"Again the whole game is balanced on grinding up tiers in random battles and having regular FL at different tiers might unbalance the business model. In addition the maps would need to be altered. Smaller for lower tiers, larger for higher tiers." 

So alter the rewards there is no reason Frontline need pay so well the point is the map is better than any of the random battle maps and not having a tier spread makes the game enjoyable again. 

"Again the whole game is balanced on grinding up tiers in random battles and having regular FL at different tiers might unbalance the business model. In addition the maps would need to be altered. Smaller for lower tiers, larger for higher tiers."

What is wrong with giving players a choice of mode to grind their tanks in? Also there are no harm in Wargaming altering the maps or developing new ones they manage to bring out a new premium every 5 minutes it is about time they put some of that energy into more maps.

Edited by BodyGuardOfLies, 13 May 2018 - 10:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users