Is it possible Frontline can make WOT fun again?

Frontline.match making tier spread corridor maps.

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Is it possible Frontline can make WOT fun again? (139 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Would you like to see Random battles with no tier spread?

1. Yes (94 votes [66.20%])

Percentage of vote: 66.20%

2. No (48 votes [33.80%])

Percentage of vote: 33.80%

Would you like to see Frontline stay as is but with a different tier 5-10 each month?

1. Yes (93 votes [66.91%])

Percentage of vote: 66.91%

2. No (46 votes [33.09%])

Percentage of vote: 33.09%

Would you like to see more Frontline style non corridor maps in Random battles?

1. Yes (122 votes [87.77%])

Percentage of vote: 87.77%

2. No (17 votes [12.23%])

Percentage of vote: 12.23%

Vote Hide poll

BodyGuardOfLies #41 Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 84167 battles

View PostPanzerVor87, on 13 May 2018 - 08:56 AM, said:

I agree with BodyGuardOfLies and his stance on Frontline mode. Given the massive size of WoT's playerbase I doubt there's risk this gamemode will 'ruin' the others (Frontline being WG's answer to AW's Global Ops imho, but AW's playerbase has been on life support for a long time, whereas WoT keeps thriving), and we could use an alternative to brainless randoms as well.

So yeah, I'm in favor of making Frontline a permanent feature and also would love for single tier spread MM in randoms - the brief time this was a thing, playing Tier 8 was enjoyable as you were not just food for Tier 10 goldspamming scrubs.

As for rotating tiers every month that might be nice, though given the majority of premiums sits at Tier 8 and WG wants to make money, it could be in their best interest to leave Frontline as Tier 8 only - both to increase prem sales, and to egg players to grind up to that tier.

"As for rotating tiers every month that might be nice, though given the majority of premiums sits at Tier 8 and WG wants to make money, it could be in their best interest to leave Frontline as Tier 8 only - both to increase prem sales, and to egg players to grind up to that tier."

I have 63 premium and reward tanks from tier 5 to 10  19 of which are tier 8 so I would like a chance to play the other 44 t as well. Also newer or less skilled players would benefit from a month playing tier 5's to hone their skills..

I am sure if the Frontline mode ran through different tiers it would invigorate sales of  premium tanks other than 8's. Lets not forget that the current match making must have crippled tier 8 premium sales I can't be the only one who will no longer give wargaming £40 for the privilege of being farmed by "Tier 10 goldspamming scrubs." :)

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 13 May 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

Played just one battle and it was enough to not wanted to play it againg. Chaotic map, chaotic gameplay and dubios credit earnings (lost credits in a game I reach General), plus bad fps and mini freezes... "perfect" combo. Randoms are way more logic then this...

You reached General and lost credits? Try not shooting the buildings, dead tanks, the planes, and the lakes with gold ammo then. Take your gold off the tank you don't need it and try aiming,flanking, relocating if you still lose money send in a ticket.

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 13 May 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

not voted

I like frontline, its fun

but only 1 map is boring

need 15 new maps all this size and game might actually be good, and those maps in randoms, not just frontline mode

We all want more maps but give them a chance it is brand new and they no doubt wanted to see if it was popular before sinking more resources into it.

View PostNoobySkooby, on 13 May 2018 - 12:03 AM, said:

Never been in FL yet, something I must try out one day

Go on let your hair down and take a walk on the wild side. Who knows where it might lead? Eating your dinner without a napkin? Finally taking the stabilisers off your bike? Chatting with girls? 

Your a tiger lets hear you ROAR!

steview162 #42 Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

Brigadier

• Clan Diplomat
  • 34510 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-

View PostBodyGuardOfLies, on 12 May 2018 - 04:39 PM, said:

Oh and something else I have noticed about Frontline is a lot less toxicity because people aren't frustrated at getting rolled over by tanks 2 tiers higher again. 

I wouldn't bet on that. When your team, from the start, refuse to cap, or defend the zones, fanny about trying to snipe while not spotting? WOT is just rage inducing.

But, it is a breath of fresh air. If they sort out the bugs that is. 

Some people think it will wreck the money model for the game. I don't think WG will let that happen. I think they will be checking their spreadsheets very carefully and if it is seen to reduce profits, they will change or restrict it.

So I voted yes to all 3. Vive la change!

HundeWurst #43 Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 70102 battles
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS

The frontline map is by no means perfect as it is. There are still to many to good positions on the map which allow the defender to completly dominate.

Right now the map is working though. Most players seem to stupid and dont understand that you are allowed to even touch your keyboard while attacking.

But in the end the map is so big that you can always pick another flank if the one you are working on right now does not work out. But yeah the map is much more dynamic then the old tiny maps.

For the first time I feel like that this mode can have a good future in the game. The "Grandbattle" maps are so dreadfull compared to that map. Its weird that this map after such a long time is better than all the stuff we got before.

E1: About the tier spread. The map and gameplay would still be ebola levels if it would be for tier 10 only. Tier 10 is jsut so screwed up that the balance or the missing of balance is going to screw up every mode for tier 10 tanks. This works much better since all kind of tanks have right to be played on this map and not only the few competetive (Russian) tanks tier 10 has to offer.

I am heavily against +/-2 mm but +/-1 mm is more than fine for me! Even great.

I would like to play the map even more with tier 9 tanks only. Tier 9 is similar to tier 8 but much less pay2win, since there are no premiums around which entirely dominate the tier 8 these days.

Edited by HundeWurst, 13 May 2018 - 11:23 AM.

Volfrahm #44 Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

Major

• Player
  • 8640 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

Frontlines is absolutely more enjoyable then randoms, at least when it comes to grinding.

Good luck in randoms were you are pitted against stupidly overamored and high alpha gun wielding tier 10's constantly. In tiny corridor maps where the concept of 'flanking' doesn't exists on practical level.

Edited by Volfrahm, 13 May 2018 - 12:15 PM.

DracheimFlug #45 Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 9095 battles

View PostHundeWurst, on 13 May 2018 - 11:18 AM, said:

The frontline map is by no means perfect as it is. There are still to many to good positions on the map which allow the defender to completly dominate.

Right now the map is working though. Most players seem to stupid and dont understand that you are allowed to even touch your keyboard while attacking.

But in the end the map is so big that you can always pick another flank if the one you are working on right now does not work out. But yeah the map is much more dynamic then the old tiny maps.

For the first time I feel like that this mode can have a good future in the game. The "Grandbattle" maps are so dreadfull compared to that map. Its weird that this map after such a long time is better than all the stuff we got before.

E1: About the tier spread. The map and gameplay would still be ebola levels if it would be for tier 10 only. Tier 10 is jsut so screwed up that the balance or the missing of balance is going to screw up every mode for tier 10 tanks. This works much better since all kind of tanks have right to be played on this map and not only the few competetive (Russian) tanks tier 10 has to offer.

I am heavily against +/-2 mm but +/-1 mm is more than fine for me! Even great.

I would like to play the map even more with tier 9 tanks only. Tier 9 is similar to tier 8 but much less pay2win, since there are no premiums around which entirely dominate the tier 8 these days.

But the attacker can ignore those spots. The defender has no way to recapture lost sectors. 

Had more trouble with defending teams seemingly not able to do anything about the attackers capping just in front of them.

BodyGuardOfLies #46 Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 84167 battles

View PostDracheimFlug, on 13 May 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

But the attacker can ignore those spots. The defender has no way to recapture lost sectors. 

Had more trouble with defending teams seemingly not able to do anything about the attackers capping just in front of them.

Players not decapping is no better in random battles. Some are too stupid, some too noob, some are too scared, others are worried about their stats and the guys that will charge in when needed are usually already dead. 

Unknown_Lifeform #47 Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27425 battles

I've been enjoying the new front lines mode. Part of that is due to mechanics unique to the new mode like respawning and progressing objectives on a large map, but its mostly the map design.

On random maps I feel locked into 2-3 tiny corridors protected from any crossfire. The frontlines map feels completely different. There are large areas of rolling hills and ridge lines which give plenty of options for mediums and tank destroyers to play their game, crossfire is possible but not arbitrary and inescapable. Whilst there are still corridors and choke points to be dominated there are always other options for the medium or light tank player to chose a different route and flank behind or to chose to fight where the map opens up again. Rather than corridors it feels more like how I'd like a map to be designed with clumps of cover or rolling hills you can progress to and fight from before moving to the next. You are vulnerable to flanking fire but if you have map awareness you can relocate to a different area of cover.

Of course, that might be just because the map is new and in time people will learn the OP positions and the no-go areas and the meta will shift but I really hope not. For now frontlines is showing me what WoT could be like with larger maps and better map design that doesn't arbitrarily switch between protected corridors and no-go shooting galleries.

I've never been bothered by the +/- 2 mm in randoms, except where one tier has higher probability of getting a bad match up, but I must admit the all same tier mm in frontlines is refreshing.

Danger__UXB #48 Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:17 PM

Major

• Player
  • 9785 battles

View PostFrostilicus, on 13 May 2018 - 08:46 AM, said:

Agree entirely, I've actually taken my CDC and FCM50 out for a spin in this mode, and will be trying the ISU when I get home later :)

All being all this mode will give a new lease of life to certain tanks as players start to realize that its not the tank that is bad?.it just was not suited for the situation it was in at that certain period in this games life in randoms..

If its all of a sudden put in a different scenario full of different situations? (FL).the tanks that gathered dust in your garage all of a sudden become useful again given that you can respawn and choose a tank best suited

for the task at hand..I like!!

Last night i got killed by 3 low health meds in my Defender...so i respawned in the Lorraine and went and finished them = 4 shots 3 kills in 10-ish seconds...I double like!!:teethhappy:

the_nebuchadnezzar #49 Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 48609 battles

View PostBodyGuardOfLies, on 13 May 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

You reached General and lost credits? Try not shooting the buildings, dead tanks, the planes, and the lakes with gold ammo then. Take your gold off the tank you don't need it and try aiming,flanking, relocating if you still lose money send in a ticket.

Now you tell me? Waste 5 years playing WoT and this is the first time someone tells me not to shot gold at airplanes and lakes... :facepalm:

Xandania #50 Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36678 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

View PostBalc0ra, on 12 May 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

Well one round lasts for 24 min give or take, IF you manage to push or don't defend all points. Divide that income vs playing a few 6 minute rounds in randoms with a premium, you more or less make as much give or take. Unless you get a monster farm game tho. 

And that's why I don't get the rage when you do lose a point on a last chance on the first line right before the timer goes. As then you end up making 50K, sub 1K xp and getting 300 prestige on average. So then you might as well play randoms and get more faster.

The fewer tanks you use, the more credits you make - each tank - no matter how often it gets destroyed only has to be paid once to be repaired - this includes repairs on the depots.

View PostBodyGuardOfLies, on 12 May 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

"So you get 45% noobs with a garage full of tier X tanks"  You already have as Jingles puts it "if you ready up enough times anybody can have a tier ten tank.". However I think you are missing the point which is a lot of people grind tier 10 tanks in the mistaken belief that they will lose less if they are not 2 tiers down. The beauty of no tier spread is that all tiers become relevant again as they are stand alone if they only compete with the same tier. People will hold on to more tanks because they would be able to play them without fear of match making rendering them irrelevant by placing them 2 tiers down on a corridor map where they have no chance of flanking and cannot pen the enemy head on. 

" I just wish people would think to the survival of WOT and not short term inanity," As somebody with approaching 100 premium tanks and nearly 80k battles who has been playing since 2011 it is absurd to suggest that I am not thinking of the long term survival of wot. What i do know is the number of players that have left because of the tier spread and because of the corridor maps and if you wanna get into it the RNG, the noob protection and the accuracy nerfs. If wot don't do something to fix it even the ocd players like me will eventually find another game to play.

First of all, all of us who have been around for some time with major time invested should care for the long term prospects of the game. Otherwise we probably wouldn't have put as much time into the game as we have done already.

That being said, I'd just like to say that some tanks perform really well against higher tier tanks and sort of worst against same tier tanks. Fromt he top of my head I can only name two at the moment though - UE57 (which formerly could see tier 5s it could easily wreck) and the Churchill Gamecarrier which generally performs well against slow armored things and horribly against Cromwells and their ilk. A clear minority, sort of niche tanks ;)

On a different note - the results of this game mode might also provide very interesting info on the balance of tier 8 as it is. So, in addition to being a very nice game mode (which could well be expanded upon) it seems to me like a wonderful tool for getting balancing data.

superfly2000 #51 Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:29 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 77910 battles
  • [SFLY] SFLY

Is it possible Frontline can make WOT fun again?

Yes, the potatoes love this mode. Its great for them. They can finally just drive around aimlessly and "play for fun" and then just respawn. Its a win-win for them.

I'm not gonna vote in this mostly biased poll btw.

About corridor maps, its so funny, cause the crying kids brought that on themselves. They where crying about accuracy like 5 years ago. So WG "listened to the community" (aka crying kids) and made accuracy better. Then they had to rebuild ALL maps in the game because any tank could snipe all of a sudden. Naturally crying tomatoes that didnt get the spotting system and got rekt quickly also increased the need for corridor maps so that the spotting system could be more or less taken out of the game.

I don't know if I should cry or laugh anymore. The crying kids WANTED these corridor maps (at least indirectly)...and now you don't want them anymore...make up your mind?

tumppi776 #52 Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:46 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 43431 battles
  • [DPG-I] DPG-I

View PostDanger_UXB_, on 13 May 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

Last night i got killed by 3 low health meds in my Defender...so i respawned in the Lorraine and went and finished them = 4 shots 3 kills in 10-ish seconds...I double like!!:teethhappy:

Yey you play the stupid OP premiums - i bet the guys whose games you ruined liked it too. idiot. i bet you have the T26E5 too?

How stupid is it that the best T8 tanks can only be bought with money? (and progetto too - but that one you could get for free)

Edited by tumppi776, 14 May 2018 - 07:46 AM.

Hamsterkicker #53 Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:10 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34530 battles
  • [TEAMB] TEAMB

I don't know. I am on level 28 now and although I really like the change in pace some issues are becoming more and more frustrating..  It seems that the better I understand the maps the more angry I get at my teamm8's for not knowing them.

Like on A 14 tanks go to the ridge on the left to defend the cap leaving me as a single tank the job to go and spot any of the cappers. Or figuring out that after we have lost A that we are only left with 6 tanks in Zone D to defend against 15 attackers and we get completely overrun. etc, etc.. Hardly anyone also seems to understand that you can go from zone to zone, let alone flank around the back and support the attack or defense. For example if you spawn in C you have excellent opportunity to support the attack on B by shooting anything that come around the right side.

So many missed opportunities for a proper defense or attack are missed.

Axelfoley666 #54 Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:16 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22645 battles
  • [TWD] TWD
I think one of the reasons people are liking FL so much is that tier 8 does not feel like the whipping boy for a short while. 

Simeon85 #55 Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:25 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

It's fun, at times, but it still needs some work I believe.

Obviously we'd need more maps, at least 3-4 to get it going with at least 1 map added every 3-4 months.

The consumables (airstrikes/arty in particular) need looking at, not sure tanks need airstrikes and arty, nor that people need 3 slots, personally I think 1 slot so you have to actually think about what to take and how useful it is. 

There are some issues with spawn camping, few lag and fps issues I have found and some issues with the balance around certain flags. 

Danger__UXB #56 Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:10 AM

Major

• Player
  • 9785 battles

View Posttumppi776, on 14 May 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

Yey you play the stupid OP premiums - i bet the guys whose games you ruined liked it too. idiot. i bet you have the T26E5 too?

How stupid is it that the best T8 tanks can only be bought with money? (and progetto too - but that one you could get for free)

There are so many ways to answer this but ill choose the reasonable one..

The Defender i bought a good while ago and i have mabye 8 games in it.I dont even like it ..I would rather play the IS3 ,..I only play tanks for entertainment and enjoyment and not for stats etc..

The lorry is the same (Mabye 4 games)..Although i do like it due to its playstyle i tend to use the 1390 or the 105 alot more (Mabye 1500 games combined?)..i love the way they play..

I am one of these guys that actually dont mind paying for my entertainment and as such i tend to buy many prem tanks..I buy them for entertainment not because they are OP or whatever..but because i enjoy them.

..And PSSST!! let me tell you a secret....In FL ive found myself playing playing the ISU152 when defending its really good fun...You should try it and it might actually put a smile on your face a little?.:)

Cheer up buddy..Its just a game

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #57 Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:44 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

"Will it make WoT fun again"

It depends.

For one, people have to find out how the gamemode works.

I wasn't aware of how the spawning system works.

Wasn't aware of the way the map is split in corridors.

Wasn't aware of getting bombed after the enemy team made their objective etc.

Etc.

Typical WG "let's keep the players in the dark, they will find out by themselves" policy.

SuperOlsson #58 Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21220 battles
  • [E-5OM] E-5OM

View Posttumppi776, on 14 May 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

I found carnaervon to be superior to t26e5, as it has same gun depression and the armor and mobility does the same job, though carnaervon has better gun handling and significantly higher dpm, that one and progetto are my go-to tanks for frontline!

Hamsterkicker #59 Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:22 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34530 battles
  • [TEAMB] TEAMB

" I found carnaervon to be superior to t26e5, as it has same gun depression and the armor and mobility does the same job, though carnaervon has better gun handling and significantly higher dpm, that one and progetto are my go-to tanks for frontline!"..

Ssst.. I bought back the Caravan just for Frontline..

HundeWurst #60 Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:47 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 70102 battles
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS

View PostDracheimFlug, on 13 May 2018 - 12:30 PM, said:

Well I had the same thing quit often now. But its down to the super stupid defenders. Most dont even realize that they can touch the keyboard and get great flanking angles making the cap near impossible. Most defnders just sit 10 meters next to where they spawned and are unwilling to flank and tank good defending fowards positions. You see that way to often. Defenders give away the good position hence get destroyed or capped. If only more people would have a basic understanding of WoT tactics. But in the end... lets be happy about that. Against smart defenders the map cannot really be won by the attacking team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users