Advise on what tank to pick next.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

madblinderic #1 Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:05 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2756 battles

Hello everyone.

Basically I need some advise on what tank I pick next out of the various lines I'm working up. Boils down to it getting pretty expensive relatively speaking and I want to make the best choice I can

Here's the background. I'm a relatively new player, between one and two months now and my highest tier tank is the Tier 6 German VK 30.02, it has my best crew in it though with one skill unlocked and the next hovering around 80%. My win ratio in it is absolutely terrible though at 43% and I am hating every minute of taking it out. TBH im putting this down to the MatchMaking. I don't feel that my skill level is ready for playing against Tier 8 tanks/players but I'm continuously being matched against them, I can count on one hand the times I have been top tier/equally matched and when that is the case the experience has been much better, but this isn't a match making whinge. Could it be this tank is also ill suited for this type of game? I don't honestly know.

So my dilemma is. Do I upgrade to Tier 7 with this tank ( something I don't want to do at the moment ) but would hopefully allow me to upgrade the crew faster and potentially have a tank that is better able to deal with higher tiers if indeed that is part of the problem. Or do I spend the money I have taking one of my other Tier 5 tanks up to Tier 6 if one of them is better able to deal with Tier 8 tanks. I would prefer to stick at Tier 6 for now but I would also prefer to have fun and I'm currently not.

The other tanks I have waiting to make the jump are the Russion T-34 amd the British the Crusader and Churchill 1. Oh and also German Vk 30.01 H.

Thanks for any advise

Cheers

Makotti #2 Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:10 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 14019 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Put 57mm to T-34 and have fun :) Also T-34-85 is quite decent tank if you want to go T6.

Junglist_ #3 Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37168 battles
I would also recommend to grind for T-34-85 or other tier 6 tanks. The matchmaking is indeed very harsh these days but going to tier 7 isn't going to change it since then you're just going to end up fighting tier 9s instead of 8s.

Nishi_Kinuyo #4 Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:46 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7736 battles
  • [GUP] GUP
You could try getting the Type 3 Chi-Nu. :girl:

Suurpolskija #5 Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:55 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

Open all the tank lines with T-34 while you're at it. Good way to get some games in and I guess all the lines are worth it. :) 

You should also use your T-44 FL to get a proper crew for soviet mediums at Frontline, because this is a good chance to get that extra crew training of a reward tank without owning a premium tank. 

After Crusader you'll get Cromwell which is a good tank and a keeper. 

I wouldn't advance the VK30.02M line nor the churchills just yet, they are not noob friendly. Or even friendly. 

Solstad1069 #6 Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:27 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41019 battles

Just grind several tanktypes from different nations up to tier 5 or maybe tier 6.

Forget everything above until you on average do more damage. 

The low tier grinding is quick and easy and your mistakes are not punished by instant death everytime.

And most important increase your minimap and always try and help your green friends, they are there for a reason (victory)

Xandania #7 Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36483 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

View PostSuurpolskija, on 14 May 2018 - 05:55 AM, said:

Open all the tank lines with T-34 while you're at it. Good way to get some games in and I guess all the lines are worth it. :) 

You should also use your T-44 FL to get a proper crew for soviet mediums at Frontline, because this is a good chance to get that extra crew training of a reward tank without owning a premium tank. 

After Crusader you'll get Cromwell which is a good tank and a keeper. 

I wouldn't advance the VK30.02M line nor the churchills just yet, they are not noob friendly. Or even friendly. 

Back in the day the Churchills were recommended to me as a noob (nothing changed since then) as its speed forced me to plan where I went and not die within the first seconds of the game. Other than that, they are currently heavily sub-par and only at tier 8 do the better tanks start.

All in all it does depend on your playstyle - if you like active gameplay, mobility and don't mind standing still while you snipe, go for the Cromwell - it is a good tank which can even bounce shots from lower tiers from time to time.

Do not expect historically good tanks to perform as their real world counterparts and you will be fine.

And by all means, do use those special FL vehicles for Front lines. Use it to learn (usually when you are dead and your tanks unavailiable), to grind credits and train crew - if you happen to like one of those tanks, grind towards them (without retraining the crew of the special tank as they will most likely become a crew for the regular one after the event)  and put the FL crew into them.

Additional idea - check out the clans looking for players section in these forums here - most clans have at least a few knowledgable players and the better ones provide a fun community where you can have fun/learn the ropes/laugh like a maniac. Some try to achieve things in clan wars, many are just around for the community (and I met loads of players who only keep coming back for the game for these communities)

Quintuss #8 Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26647 battles
  • [DIVA_] DIVA_

I wouldn't give much about what the statts say about your tier 1-5 performance: it is a different meta with different map rotation. Yes, your winrate and WN8 are horrible, but if you account for poor crew, stock-tanks,...  that is no big deal.

In your case i'd try to bring multiple tank lines to tier 6 and then stay there a while - learn the maps, learn the roles of different tanks and most important: get good crews and equipment. You'll find that a 2-skill crew and the suitable equipment (rammer, optics, vents,....) will massively boost your performance.

What i'd recommend is focussng on certain tank lines:

Russian TDs to SU100 - teaches you the gameplay of a high alpha/pen casemate TD and in the longer run it opens up towards the currently very strong O268-4.

Russian Meds to T34-85 - your generic med - learn how to play it on different maps and in the long run you can go towards the Objekt 140.

Russian Heavys to KV85 - learn how to play heavy tanks and how to handle limited gun depression. In the longer run you'll want to follow that line to IS3 and IS7.

Japan Heavys to O-I - learn what those Derp-gun monsters drive like and more important: what their wreakness are. In the long run the Type 5 HT  awaits.

your choice of german, USA or russia artillery - i don't want to promote Arty gameplay but playing some Arty will help you both for personal missions AND more importantly: give you a fast course of whewre arty can NOT shoot. Knowledge you'll find very usefull in other classes.

French Scouts - learn both LT driving and how to handle an auto-loader. In the longer run The line will get you towards the BC25t

Russian Scouts - lern how drive non-auto-loader scouts and in the long run maybe get the t100-LT.

Basically once you have those lines at tier 6 and with decent crew and solid winrate you are ready to go on - also you should be quite a way into your stug4-missions.

Merton15 #9 Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13863 battles
I presume the T7 you are considering is the Panther? Don't! If you are struggling with the VK30.02M, you will find the Panther far harder. It is the same tank, one tier higher, until you unlock the top gun and turret. Wait until you have got the hang of the T6. The T34 is a nice, all round medium with the 57mm and offers a choice of three lines for the future. Avoid the Churchill I and the Crusader is not as user friendly as the T34. Yes the Cromwell is  a good tank, but suffers from terrible gun handling and no effective protection. You do need a good crew (snap shot and smooth ride are a must) and very good situational awareness if you are not to die horribly in the first 90 seconds. I liked the VK30.01(H), the top gun is outstanding but it plays more as a slow, support medium rather than a heavy as the hull armour is easily penned even by many T4s. If medium tanks are your thing, you might get on with it.

IncandescentGerbil #10 Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35679 battles
Go Jap heavy. First four tiers are crap, but you can get to the OI exp in a few days, and start kicking some bottom. The durp guns you get at tier 6 (or is it 7 nowadays?) are very flattering to inexperienced players. You will survive longer, and do consistent damage.

Dava_117 #11 Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:41 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19508 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 14 May 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

Go Jap heavy. First four tiers are crap, but you can get to the OI exp in a few days, and start kicking some bottom. The durp guns you get at tier 6 (or is it 7 nowadays?) are very flattering to inexperienced players. You will survive longer, and do consistent damage.

The problem is that Jap HTs dont teach anything usefull. 

No weackspot knowledge because of the derpgun and no angling thanks to the terrible on-off armour. Churchill and all the 3 soviet HT at tier 6 can teach all of this better, IMO.

Also for the line OP has, I would suggest to elit the T-34 and get the T-34-85 (great tank and quite forgiving) to learn also about different ammo type (very good HE round).

VK30.01H is meh IMO, cause derp pen it all day long, but VK36.01H at tier 6 and Tiger1 at tier 7 are really good support HT, even if far from noob friendly. So be patient before going up this line.

Similar tought about your tier 6 panther. I'm here too and, while the tank looks good, it require good skills to make it work (skills I may not have yet too).

Edited by Dava_117, 14 May 2018 - 10:43 AM.

IncandescentGerbil #12 Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35679 battles

View PostDava_117, on 14 May 2018 - 10:41 AM, said:

The problem is that Jap HTs dont teach anything useful...

But they might give the OP that winning feeling, which is part of his reason for posting. And with the Type 5 not going anywhere, it's a valid line, if not one for the purists.

Dava_117 #13 Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:03 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19508 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 14 May 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

But they might give the OP that winning feeling, which is part of his reason for posting. And with the Type 5 not going anywhere, it's a valid line, if not one for the purists.

Well yes, guess that it may help OP to win a bit more... :)

arthurwellsley #14 Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:09 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51797 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

View Postmadblinderic, on 14 May 2018 - 05:05 AM, said:

Hello everyone.

Basically I need some advise on what tank I pick next out of the various lines I'm working up. Boils down to it getting pretty expensive relatively speaking and I want to make the best choice I can

Here's the background. I'm a relatively new player, between one and two months now and my highest tier tank is the Tier 6 German VK 30.02, it has my best crew in it though with one skill unlocked and the next hovering around 80%. My win ratio in it is absolutely terrible though at 43% and I am hating every minute of taking it out. TBH im putting this down to the MatchMaking. I don't feel that my skill level is ready for playing against Tier 8 tanks/players but I'm continuously being matched against them, I can count on one hand the times I have been top tier/equally matched and when that is the case the experience has been much better, but this isn't a match making whinge. Could it be this tank is also ill suited for this type of game? I don't honestly know.

So my dilemma is. Do I upgrade to Tier 7 with this tank ( something I don't want to do at the moment ) but would hopefully allow me to upgrade the crew faster and potentially have a tank that is better able to deal with higher tiers if indeed that is part of the problem. Or do I spend the money I have taking one of my other Tier 5 tanks up to Tier 6 if one of them is better able to deal with Tier 8 tanks. I would prefer to stick at Tier 6 for now but I would also prefer to have fun and I'm currently not.

The other tanks I have waiting to make the jump are the Russion T-34 amd the British the Crusader and Churchill 1. Oh and also German Vk 30.01 H.

Thanks for any advise

Cheers

(a) Play the T-34 that you already have,

(b) go back to tier II, pick up the T-26 USSR tank and play through to the mighty KV-1 at tier V.

madblinderic #15 Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:46 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2756 battles

Thanks for all the responses guys. I decided after reading this that the Tier 7 option was an absolute no no and went in the first instance for the T34-85 ( if for no other reason that it was unlocked and I had the money - and sounds like a good tank to have at that Tier). I will hover at this Tier now for a bit I think explore other options.

Cheers!

Strappster #16 Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:59 PM

General

• Player
  • 24145 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

You've no idea how pleasant it is to see a new player say they're comfortable at a tier they're having fun with and not rushing to get into high tiers. :honoring:

For what it's worth, you've picked one of the best tier 6 in the T-34-85 and if you wanted to push the boat out and get a premium tank at some point, you can't go far wrong with the T-34-85M. If you don't want to get a premium, the regular T-34-85 is still a pretty good credit earner for a mid-tier tank.

Second the motion for putting the 57mm on the T-34, that's how I have mine and it's a hoot to play because it's mobile and has great penetration, the low alpha isn't such a problem as you can send another shell on its way 2s later. The downside is that you can't really use it for training crews for later tanks as they all need a gunner, which is the commander's second role in the T-34. But the T-34-85 has all 5 crew seats, that's your training needs sorted too. :great:

Bordhaw #17 Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:45 PM

Major

• Player
  • 11553 battles

View Postmadblinderic, on 14 May 2018 - 05:05 AM, said:

Hello everyone.

Basically I need some advise 

Thanks for any advise

Cheers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users