Jump to content


SConq TotT: to switch or not to switch

what would you do?

  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: SConq TotT: to switch or not to switch (18 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

To switch or not to switch

  1. Stop MT grind and retrain crew to Churchill (1 vote [5.56%])

    Percentage of vote: 5.56%

  2. Keep crew in Comet and swap Cromwell B crew to Churchill (10 votes [55.56%])

    Percentage of vote: 55.56%

  3. Continue Cent. grind and then swap crew to Churchill (1 vote [5.56%])

    Percentage of vote: 5.56%

  4. Other (6 votes [33.33%])

    Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Hide poll

undutchable80 #1 Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:35 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 7011 battles
  • 1,702
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    10-30-2014

Good morning forumites!

 

Next month is the Super Conqueror TotT and I am wondering what to do.

 

I have the Churchill I waiting in my garage. My best UK crew (almost 4 skills) is in my Comet, slowly grinding my way to the Centurion (~55k away). I am training the Centurion crew in my FV4202 (2+ skills). I also have a 1,5 skill crew in my Cromwell B. I am not a very good player and I only play a few hours 1-2 times a week, so I am under no illusion that I would reach Tier X with the TotT, but I am hoping to reach the Caernarvon.

 

My initial plan was to finish the grind to the Centurion I, retrain the Comet crew to the Churchill and start the HT grind with a good crew. My question to you who have experience playing the UK line: Should I stop the MT grind and swap the Comet crew to the Churchill and start the grind already? Or do leave them in the Comet and start the Chuchill grind with my Cromwell B crew?

 

TL/DR: Does a 1,5 skill crew vs 4 skill crew make a big difference in easing the Churchill grind?

 

Thanks!

-Dutch


Edited by undutchable80, 16 May 2018 - 10:35 AM.


Simeon85 #2 Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 1097 battles
  • 2,764
  • Member since:
    04-19-2013

Heavies need less skill crews than mediums, due to the heavies having no real use for camo.

 

A 3 skill crew with BIA + repairs + some other appropriate skills is more than enough for most high tier heavies, especially if you only get the Caernarvon.

 

As for the tanks themselves, the Caernarvon, Conqueror and Super Conqueror are all very strong tanks in their tiers, so work on clearing the Churchills because to be honest those are bad. 

 

The UK medium is more consistent, once you have the Cromwell all the tanks following on are at least decent, especially after recent buffs, but they are not as competitive at high tiers as the heavies are IMO. 

 

I'd just put the Cromwell B crew in the Churchill, stick on some boosters for XP and crew XP and by the time you hit the Caernarvon you'll be working on your third skill and like I said heavies don't really need more than about 3 skills. (obviously view range skills are a bonus but 4/5 skill crews are less important on heavies than they are on meds/lights IMO)



firelars4 #3 Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 43954 battles
  • 108
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
  • Member since:
    02-04-2013
If I were you I'd just keep the crews for your meds and make a new one for the churchill.

Hamsterkicker #4 Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 33530 battles
  • 562
  • Member since:
    08-08-2011

Take a new crew for the churchill 1.. It will level up along the way, especially with the 1.5 crew XP multiplier during next month. For the churchill 1, VII and Black Prince crew skills are not that important yet. You are slow and will stay slow and will get outflanked. You have some armor when top tier and just get shot to pieces when facing higher tiers. The gun fires fast, maybe even faster then you can aim but has very low alpha. Accuracy is good but that is needed as the pen is low.

 

all in all grinding upto tier 8 can be an experience you will not easily forget.

 

The good stuff starts with the Caravan in top configuration..



Ze_HOFF_fverhoef #5 Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:01 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 15159 battles
  • 3,136
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    03-18-2012

Like everyone said before, crew is not as important in your British heavies. So keep the medium crew in their medium tank, and train yourself a new heavy crew.

If you don't have 6th sense yet, don't worry. Consider yourself spotted. In any case, if you're caught in the open, you're too late anyway, as no way you're gonna get to cover in time (And hate yourself some more, if the enemy has multiple arties).

 

Most of all I'm wishing you good luck and lot's of sanity. It's gonna be literally a slow grind :P



OreH75 #6 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:29 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 47381 battles
  • 2,091
  • [RANGR] RANGR
  • Member since:
    05-29-2013

View Postundutchable80, on 16 May 2018 - 09:35 AM, said:

Good morning forumites!

 

Next month is the Super Conqueror TotT and I am wondering what to do.

 

I have the Churchill I waiting in my garage. My best UK crew (almost 4 skills) is in my Comet, slowly grinding my way to the Centurion (~55k away). I am training the Centurion crew in my FV4202 (2+ skills). I also have a 1,5 skill crew in my Cromwell B. I am not a very good player and I only play a few hours 1-2 times a week, so I am under no illusion that I would reach Tier X with the TotT, but I am hoping to reach the Caernarvon.

 

My initial plan was to finish the grind to the Centurion I, retrain the Comet crew to the Churchill and start the HT grind with a good crew. My question to you who have experience playing the UK line: Should I stop the MT grind and swap the Comet crew to the Churchill and start the grind already? Or do leave them in the Comet and start the Chuchill grind with my Cromwell B crew?

 

TL/DR: Does a 1,5 skill crew vs 4 skill crew make a big difference in easing the Churchill grind?

 

Thanks!

-Dutch

 

Why you have seperate crews in Comet - FV4202 and Cromwell B?  The Comet crew can be used in all three vehicles and when when you get the Centurion you can retrain to that and still use them in FV4202 and Cromwell B.

 

So I would keep the 4 skill crew in the medium line and switch the 2+ skilled crew to the Heavy line. 



undutchable80 #7 Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:11 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 7011 battles
  • 1,702
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    10-30-2014

View PostOreH75, on 16 May 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

 

Why you have seperate crews in Comet - FV4202 and Cromwell B?  The Comet crew can be used in all three vehicles and when when you get the Centurion you can retrain to that and still use them in FV4202 and Cromwell B.

 

So I would keep the 4 skill crew in the medium line and switch the 2+ skilled crew to the Heavy line.

 

Because I like to train multiple crews at the same time? Cromwell B crew I got when I bought the tank a second time and the FV4202 crew as well and havent had the need to retrain them yet.

 

General consensus seems to keep on grinding with my good crew in my Comet and stick the Cromwell B crew in the Churchill. Thx for the feedback guys!:great:



TankkiPoju #8 Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:42 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 20080 battles
  • 6,192
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011
Wasn't Super Conq ToTT like only 6 months ago?

clixor #9 Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:06 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 50972 battles
  • 3,028
  • Member since:
    08-07-2011

View Postundutchable80, on 17 May 2018 - 07:11 AM, said:

 

Because I like to train multiple crews at the same time? Cromwell B crew I got when I bought the tank a second time and the FV4202 crew as well and havent had the need to retrain them yet.

 

General consensus seems to keep on grinding with my good crew in my Comet and stick the Cromwell B crew in the Churchill. Thx for the feedback guys!:great:

 

I;m not sure that's the best way to approach it. If you are really really looking to train multiple uk brit crews than ok, but you say you don't play that much. So it's much better to just train your main med crew (comet one) in your premium tanks. If you train them that way and play at least 3 games in all tanks, with crew xp booster you are looking at like 20k crew xp per session. 

 

So yes, put your cromwell b crew in your heavies, and also make sure you active crew boosters during tott. With a double xp for win etc. and hopefully decent game you'll train your crew up really really fast.



Derethim #10 Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:43 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 17300 battles
  • 1,881
  • Member since:
    04-03-2012

View Postundutchable80, on 17 May 2018 - 07:11 AM, said:

 

Because I like to train multiple crews at the same time? Cromwell B crew I got when I bought the tank a second time and the FV4202 crew as well and havent had the need to retrain them yet.

 

General consensus seems to keep on grinding with my good crew in my Comet and stick the Cromwell B crew in the Churchill. Thx for the feedback guys!:great:

 

You won't regret that :)

Also, I haven't found the grind through the three Churchills too bad - the worst of them for me was Churchill I. Black Prince was enjoyable even as the armor is trollish at time and the gun has a really good fire rate, allowing you to make some mistakes from time to time. It's just not too good against tier IX tanks and Defenders and the like, because of piss-poor penetration :/

 

But you will love the tier VI. I did. You can also use that one with the howitzer or with the fast gun :P Up to you.



Suurpolskija #11 Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:29 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 18692 battles
  • 1,642
  • [URHO] URHO
  • Member since:
    01-26-2016

I'd probably toss the crommy b crew to the heavies because you can use any of your medium crews in crommy b anyway. I do agree that the skills aren't that important in those first british heavies, at least I tend to play my Black Prince with a deathwish and I sacrifice a lot of prem ammo to Serb while doing so. :izmena:

 

My impressions of the mid-tier heavies:

Churchill l -> "This is weird, but awesome. LOL"

Churchill Vll -> " This is awkward... oh well, rr to victory, the BP must be better"

Black Prince -> "oh... uhmmm... It's that long a way to Caernarvon? And there's a stock grind? uhhh..... "



Strizi #12 Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:00 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 35613 battles
  • 598
  • Member since:
    06-16-2011
You can use the good crew for the heavies and train a new medium crew with a t8 premium in frontlines with crew reserves.

undutchable80 #13 Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:03 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 7011 battles
  • 1,702
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    10-30-2014

View PostTankkiPoju, on 17 May 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

Wasn't Super Conq ToTT like only 6 months ago?

 

Yes it kinda was, when it was first released, but it is again in June: http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/671114-june-top-of-the-tree-special-time-to-vote/page__st__280

 

View Postclixor, on 18 May 2018 - 12:06 AM, said:

 

I;m not sure that's the best way to approach it. If you are really really looking to train multiple uk brit crews than ok, but you say you don't play that much. So it's much better to just train your main med crew (comet one) in your premium tanks. If you train them that way and play at least 3 games in all tanks, with crew xp booster you are looking at like 20k crew xp per session.

 

So yes, put your cromwell b crew in your heavies, and also make sure you active crew boosters during tott. With a double xp for win etc. and hopefully decent game you'll train your crew up really really fast.

 

Maybe you are right and that I should focus on one crew at a time, but then again, that should apply to my grinding of one nation & one tank line at a time as well...:child:;) Either way, I cant be bothered to return crew to barracks, load them in Tank #2, and repeat for tank #3. But thanks for the tip. :great:

 

View PostDerethim, on 18 May 2018 - 12:43 AM, said:

 

You won't regret that :)

Also, I haven't found the grind through the three Churchills too bad - the worst of them for me was Churchill I. Black Prince was enjoyable even as the armor is trollish at time and the gun has a really good fire rate, allowing you to make some mistakes from time to time. It's just not too good against tier IX tanks and Defenders and the like, because of piss-poor penetration :/

 

But you will love the tier VI. I did. You can also use that one with the howitzer or with the fast gun :P Up to you.

 

Maybe its just my own prejudice after reading the reviews in the In-Game vehicles Section as well as the WoT wiki taht makes me hesitant to start the grind. Even though I dont mind driving the Soviet Churchill III, so maybe I should just retrain my Cromwell B crew tomrorrow when retraining is on discount (perfect timing btw!) and just start the grind to the Caravan. Which gun do you recommend for the Churchill I?


 

View PostSuurpolskija, on 18 May 2018 - 05:29 AM, said:

I'd probably toss the crommy b crew to the heavies because you can use any of your medium crews in crommy b anyway. I do agree that the skills aren't that important in those first british heavies, at least I tend to play my Black Prince with a deathwish and I sacrifice a lot of prem ammo to Serb while doing so. :izmena:

 

Thanks for confirmation! And as a Dinger I load enough (definately more than 5%:justwait:) premium rounds anyway. But good to know. :great:

And if the BP does prove to be a mental breakdown waiting to happen, I have some freexp I could use...;)


 



TankkiPoju #14 Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:06 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 20080 battles
  • 6,192
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

I played Black Prince by just pressing W all the time, loading premium ammo and trying to stay hull down. It's literally like a slow as turd Cromwell with better armor... but on tier 7.

 

And even if you are top tier, the enemy team might have a T29 as top tier heavy... yeah GG. Just pray he is a tomato.



undutchable80 #15 Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:14 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 7011 battles
  • 1,702
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    10-30-2014

View PostTankkiPoju, on 18 May 2018 - 07:06 AM, said:

I played Black Prince by just pressing W all the time, loading premium ammo and trying to stay hull down. It's literally like a slow as turd Cromwell with better armor... but on tier 7.

 

And even if you are top tier, the enemy team might have a T29 as top tier heavy... yeah GG. Just pray he is a tomato.

 

lol, doesnt help me as I am a tomato myself...:child: Feels like the boogyman-stories you hear as a child. :hiding:

TankkiPoju #16 Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:37 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 20080 battles
  • 6,192
  • Member since:
    05-20-2011

View Postundutchable80, on 18 May 2018 - 07:14 AM, said:

 

lol, doesnt help me as I am a tomato myself...:child: Feels like the boogyman-stories you hear as a child. :hiding:

 

Maybe I was a bit harsh, but often T29 drivers don't know how to abuse the best feature of the tank - the god like turret.

 

Hull down T29 can just load premium ammo and shoot through Black Prince's turret cheeks. Black Prince can literally just cry or back off.

 

And even if you are trading with a T29 shot per shot... it has 320 alpha while BP has 150... balance, comrade.

 

 


Edited by TankkiPoju, 18 May 2018 - 07:38 AM.


Somnorila #17 Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:01 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 55766 battles
  • 2,020
  • [4-YOU] 4-YOU
  • Member since:
    10-13-2012

View Postfirelars4, on 16 May 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

If I were you I'd just keep the crews for your meds and make a new one for the churchill.

 

Why? He has two MT crews for one MT. Makes no sense to keep a dedicated crew on a premium tank.

I have a similar issue that i'm delaying for later as i have plenty of tanks to farm currently. I have a Cromwell with a good crew but somewhat recently got a Cromwell B that came with it's own crew. Thing is that all the rest of my British tanks have their own crews already. So i plan in the future to go on the HT line and would probably use the crew currently on Cromwell B. The reason i plan to keep current high skilled crew on Cromwell is that if i want to grow them faster i can always play them in my FV4202 and Cromwell B. As i don't have a premium british HT it feels more appropriate to give a new HT a "special" crew. As you may already know Cromwell B's default crew has a "free" BIA perk at 0% XP, so it takes far less battles to reach a comfort zone of like 4 skills.



undutchable80 #18 Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:19 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 7011 battles
  • 1,702
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    10-30-2014

View PostTankkiPoju, on 18 May 2018 - 07:37 AM, said:

 

Maybe I was a bit harsh, but often T29 drivers don't know how to abuse the best feature of the tank - the god like turret.

 

Hull down T29 can just load premium ammo and shoot through Black Prince's turret cheeks. Black Prince can literally just cry or back off.

 

And even if you are trading with a T29 shot per shot... it has 320 alpha while BP has 150... balance, comrade.

 

 

 

Nah, its ok mate. I am a n00b after all, and lessons are learned the hard way. ;)

I do exactly that in my T29: figure out where I can go in order to a) hide my hull and b) be of use to my team. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how I am finding the BP.


 

View PostSomnorila, on 18 May 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

 

Why? He has two MT crews for one MT. Makes no sense to keep a dedicated crew on a premium tank.

I have a similar issue that i'm delaying for later as i have plenty of tanks to farm currently. I have a Cromwell with a good crew but somewhat recently got a Cromwell B that came with it's own crew. Thing is that all the rest of my British tanks have their own crews already. So i plan in the future to go on the HT line and would probably use the crew currently on Cromwell B. The reason i plan to keep current high skilled crew on Cromwell is that if i want to grow them faster i can always play them in my FV4202 and Cromwell B. As i don't have a premium british HT it feels more appropriate to give a new HT a "special" crew. As you may already know Cromwell B's default crew has a "free" BIA perk at 0% XP, so it takes far less battles to reach a comfort zone of like 4 skills.

 

My (almost) 4-skill crew in the Comet is my top crew and I move it to the tank I am grinding and thus keeps moving up the tiers as I acquire new tanks.

 

My initial thoughts regarding crews in relation to my current grind status:

- Comet crew goes to Churchill line once grind to Centurion I is done

- FV4202 crew goes into Centurion

- Since the Comet is a keeper for me, I am training that crew in the Cromwell B

Unless I am mistaken, you cant train a crew for a tank you havent unlocked yet, so that is why some of my premiums have their "own" crew. Once I have the next tank in line, I usually wait for crew retraining discount before moving them.

 

However, with the feedback from you guys my plan has changed:

- Comet crew goes to Centurion I (leaving me with an extra radio operator, but oh well)

- FV4202 crew I will continue to train in case the Centurion I is a keeper (since I will move my top crew to the 7/1 and eventually to the AX), and otherwise will join my lonely radio operator in the Comet at some point.

- Cromwell B crew goes into Churchill line


 


 


 


Edited by undutchable80, 18 May 2018 - 08:19 AM.


ederfe #19 Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 14763 battles
  • 241
  • Member since:
    01-13-2015

View Postundutchable80, on 18 May 2018 - 09:03 AM, said:

 

Which gun do you recommend for the Churchill I?

 

 

Lots of options. With the 6 pounder it becomes a Churchill 3 with better gunhandling. Top gun has great ap pen but has very limited depression and elevation. 75mm gun mk 5 has 9 degrees of depression (same as 6 pounder) and can reach a whopping 2.6k dpm but requires heavy premiumammo usage.



imperiumgraecum #20 Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:43 AM

    Major

  • Beta Tester
  • 60691 battles
  • 2,844
  • [FAME] FAME
  • Member since:
    01-03-2011

View PostTankkiPoju, on 18 May 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

Maybe I was a bit harsh, but often T29 drivers don't know how to abuse the best feature of the tank - the god like turret.


I do think, however, that expected values T29's 3rd mark are way higher than in other t7s.....heck, getting its mark was a bit annoying.







Also tagged with what would you do?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users