How to M46 Patton

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Plutonious #1 Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7590 battles

I cannot make this tank work. I've got two main problems with the tank.

The first issue is the gun accuracy combined with horrible pen. Even with a 4 skill crew and running cola, the shots fly pretty much everywhere but where I am aiming.  And if I do actually hit, it doesnt pen, because 218 pen when you're forced to fight obj 268v4s and Type 5s just doesn't cut it. And since the accuracy is so poor, you can't really have any hope of hitting a weakspot- if they even exist in these days of invulnerable super heavies.

The other issue I have is the paper turret. Based on the gun depression you'd think this tank would be good on ridge lines, but it just isn't because the turret has no armor. I have higher armor use values in light tanks, I don't think I've ever seen the turret bounce a shot yet. I've found I'm basically forced to trade shots to do any damage, which doesn't work in your favor when you're an auto pen but can't pen what you're shooting at. 

I'm averaging about 1600 damage, which sucks. I find the tank super unfun to play. There's nothing more frustrating than missing 10 fully aimed shots at a target 200m in front of you, or poking a ridgeline trying to work your 10 degrees of gun depression to have that t8 light tank just go right through your turret.

Help me understand how to play this thing!

Pattonizer #2 Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:51 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8731 battles

Sooo, how to Patton... what a pleasant inquiry, always good to see a fellow adventurer, looking for salvation in the greatest tank of the game (boo-hoo, haters gonna hate).

The funny thing is, I may not be the best person to give this advice. But nobody is here, so whatever.

You see, in my Persh, I have a 56% winrate. Just loved every rusty inch of it. T20 is the same. E8, Jumbo 57%, Thunderbolt about 60% so far, and my second favorite tank, the M46 Kr is also about 61% winratio.

Was too lazy to train another crew for the M48, but played a lot of times with it on test servers, also win-win-win. Everything was fine and dandy, life couldn't have been more beautiful. Birds are chirpin' at the window, the sun is shinin' on my morning massacres with these tidy beasts.
Wow, what a hero I am (clap-clap-clap).

Then comes this unfaithful bastard, the M46 Patton.... made about 800 games with it, winratio 47%. What the heeeeck....dude. I couldn't understand. I've ruled them damn 'merican meds on the line before. Hooah. Had the first Kolobanov in the Persh, the second one the Jumbo. Hooah. Then comes this disaster!

You have to understand, winning is everything to me. To me, that's the reason to play. That's the final goal. You can jerk around, pad your stats, whatever. To me, everything was about to carry my team to glorious victory. And I could not.

So the tank is a pile of crap?! Definitely no. I have never even given an angry thought about blaming the tank. It was pure love. It's just the apex of the american mediums, and I've felt it. It couldn't have been the tank. The agility, the DPM, the viewrange (back in the days it had made even more difference).

If you check after the tank statistics, lots of people manage to make very good winratio with it. I just couldn't figure it out. What am I doing wrong? So I've started to make theories and adjusting my play style according to that.

My first opinion was the stress factor, the pressure. With the previous tanks, I didn't really care about the results. I was just playing. In the M46, I wanted to perform. The more you want to perform, the more stress you put on yourself, and your play just disintegrates. You make hasty, stupid moves. You forget, that your team is a bunch of useless......You make one stupid move, and that's it. It's totally an improvement after the Persh, but the enemies got stronger as well. Freaking bastard Tier 9 and Tier 10 enemies. All of them got juicy-bouncy, naughty-naughty, dingy-dingy armor upgrades, and you're still rolling in those Pershing skirts. Yes, the turret is a kinky troll, but not to rely on it too much. So first, you need really to stop making stupid moves.

Then, I've realized that I've become too passive because of this. Actually in most of the battles, you're biggest input to the situation is your damaging factor. You're a freaking damager. A common heavy tank can take a nice bite from an E-100, but that's nothing compared to you, bringing 390 into his [edited]almost every 7 seconds. So you can't hide in a bush like a td, shooting somebody once in a decade. You have to aggressively flank the enemy to make a real difference. That's a hard nut to crack, as doing it wrong will cost your life, thus potentially the battle too..

That's one important thing to learn with the Patton, flank aggressive when the situation lets you. In the Patton, everything is the properly realized situation. You are a Guerilla. You won't show yourself in a corridor fight (unless you press button 2 for more skills), leave them there and quickly try another angle to confuse. With open maps, take the middle, play the peek-a-boo. Make your minimap bigger. Live your life on the minimap. Stay on the middle, keep moving to avoid arty shells until one of the flank gets eased up. That is the time you move. You are Guerilla. You don't go out in the open, not even on a ridge line, to look around like an old grandma. Just take a peek, take your shot, and get back. If the defense of the enemy has gaps, use it. You're a Guerilla, b*tch.

One way to think about positioning if you ask this at the beginning of the battle: If I were in the enemy's team, which spot I would never want an enemy M46 Patton to be?

You know, that 'F***ing irritating, poking-around Patton, who shoots me every time I want to focus on more important things front of me. That douchebag Patton behind that annoying rock, my stogy high caliber gun can't handle it. *****'.
That is the position you have to take.

As I said, at the end, you have to let it go anyway. Driving a tank is just pure joy, only try to keep in mind the important aspects. After some time, your intuitive skills will drive it for you. With BIA, Sit. Awareness and Recon, you'll reach 452m viewrange, so you can take the vents instead of the optic, and the stabilizer will make your gun handling even better. But keeping the optics is also a good way.

More than 1050 games so far, managed to get just above 50%. Still not the end of the line for me. The game has changed a lot, maybe I should use more premium ammo from now on. Made some test battles with them. It's a pay2win situation of course, you just cut through the enemy. Your decision. I've always felt I'm cheating with APCR, but don't want to be a hypocrite of course, I use it from time to time. Against new, 'well-balanced' soviets it comes in handy.

Maybe there is a curve, I have not figured out myself as well yet. I still feel, there is more to it. I tend to watch every good Patton replay to learn. Seen some very good passive scoutings too. Meh, never really liked those. Maybe I need another 1000 battles to get the enlightenment,  the final realization, the big picture. Maybe I'm just not worthy yet, after all. :P

Edited by Pattonizer, 31 May 2018 - 02:49 PM.

Pattonizer #3 Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:03 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8731 battles

Okay, had some better sh*t with her in a row again, slowly reaching 51% and the second gun mark. 4th skill with concealment is already on 71%; I've realized improving the camo on this baby is a must. I totally feel the difference. Or maybe the feel makes the difference? Probably both.

I've switched for Cola, this tanks really needs it. You need every skill and perk to improve your reload and gun handling. Got already lit up once - got killed in it - but on the long run it's a good trade-off. 5th skill will be Firefighting for sure.

http://wotreplays.eu...cf64622e629e4fc

Evaluating the matches the key factor is the constant repositioning and snap shooting. And yes, again and again: be a ****** Guerilla Fighter. Be patient, get into a good position and start poking out, try to catch those sneaky enemy lights, try to predict where they are coming from. After making some shots, change position again, don't let the enemy know where you are. Do not really engage armored dudes frontally. Use the map at least as big as I do, try to stay near to your friends, away from the enemy. On open maps like Steppes and Malinovka use the viewrange circle to constantly keep the distance. As a hungry wolf go for the separated lonely lambs.

How do you know, you play the tank as intended?

You do, when you're driving around, taking bites from every enemy your gun just reaches, but it feels they do not even bother focusing at you. Partly because players are ****** brain-deads, but mostly because you are doing your job. It's like being a ghost, merely a sneaky observer of the battle.

Rokim #4 Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28175 battles

View PostPlutonious, on 16 May 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

I cannot make this tank work.

Use twitch and youtubers strategy.Food and gold

Pattonizer #5 Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:35 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8731 battles

View PostRokim, on 15 June 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

Use twitch and youtubers strategy.Food and gold

Nonsense!

I mean mostly.... food is needed indeed. The DPM demands it. Gold comes in handy but it won't make the Patton work. The tank itself has enough penetration if positioned well.

Here, another good example what you have to do in a Non-arty game.

Edited by Pattonizer, 06 July 2018 - 10:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users