What are you supposed to do in Prokhorovka with Maus/Mäuschen?

crap map design

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Ryn1k #1 Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1646 battles

I've come to loathe this map. I genuinely think it's really bad now, and I hate it everytime I get into it. I think the design is bad. Someone can disagree, doesn't matter to me, but here's the actual problem; I have no clue where I'm supposed to go on a big slow bad camo'd tank like the Maus on this map:

Posted Image

• If I go on the west side, there's a ton of TD's/other campers waiting for me, and with the bad camo I can't advance. If I camp, then I cannot fulfill my role properly.
  • If I try to climb the hill (east side) I get shot in my side by tanks who are camping in around the mid area behind the rail lines. The hill seems useless in the 1.0 version...
  • If I climb the hill, there's usually someone camping over there and again you just get shot to crapby everyone and their cousins hamster.
  • If I go into the middle, I don't have the gun depression to peek the hill.
  • If I go in the city, you tend to just get shot, the tank is too big to hide in there.

So, what is the best strategy on this map on a tank like this or similiar? It really seems like there's nothing else to do except to camp and see who loses patience first. The absolutely most stupid part is that sometimes I can't even get over the rails on the top spawn before I'm spotted and someone starts shooting me in the side. There is no way to avoid it, it's the furthest possible route to the hill that I can take from that side.

Feels dumb that you just cant even exit the spawn properly before being shot, because the tank is so slow. Any tips appreciated.

trrprrprr #2 Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23925 battles
You can go TD camping side just monitor what tanks could be camping there....sure, any decent camper will manage to hit you, but try to angle as much as you can....go zig zag and atleast get some blocked damage and spot for your team - breaking the enemy camping side. Or as most do - center and try to shoot ones peeking over the hill and shoot camping meds on the hill side. Its all up to you.

Homer_J #3 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28767 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

With the new improved bushes you don't need camo up the West side.

That's where I would go.

Hill is no good for slow tanks, you'll get sniped from the railroad crossing(s), middle railroad crossing area leaves you open to fire from both sides.  West flank gives you some cover from the middle, opportunities to snipe across and you can push up when the time is right.

Edited by Homer_J, 16 May 2018 - 10:41 PM.

TheOddRogue #4 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9988 battles
Go back to garage. 

Dorander #5 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:05 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18192 battles

It kinda depends on the rest of the team and what support you may get.

You can always take up residence at the middle of the map, and fire on people spotted at the hill. They're going to have real trouble firing back at you, but it depends on spots.

You could go hill-climbing. It takes a while, but depending on how well your team reacts to it, a Maus-charge down the other side can give hilarious results.

My most amusing battle in my Maus on Prok was platooned with a friend in his IS4. We drove to the southwest corner and waited half a minute, resulting of course in all the predictable whining from people about top tier heavies camping. The point was that the enemy that had decided to drive to the hill had arrived there and couldn't easily turn back. After half a minute, we drove forward on the west flank, getting shot and tracked often but mostly taking little damage and spotting everyone along the way.

Pulled the same on Malinovka except we were a platoon of two Mice and a FV 183b. Camped base for nearly two minutes so that the enemy team had committed to the hill and their positions, then charged the field. If one Maus got tracked the other would take point so we'd split the damage and bounce shots for each other. The rather surprised enemy team was mopped up quickly.

Incidentally it might be difficult to exit the spawn without being spotted and shot but far from impossible, and such a shot would almost never come from a tank that can touch your armour. Unless of course it's an Object 268v4 that rushed straight towards the center but let's not pretend that tank represents any kind of reasonable gameplay.

firelars4 #6 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 44136 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL
If there is one or no arty, just go mid. You have 8 deg gun dep, which is enough to work the ridge properly. If there is more than 1 arty, you are better off camping in the west. You can push early if there aren't too many dangerous TDs otherwise just wait for spots and shoot those.

Balc0ra #7 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66275 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
Same thing you do when you get a light or arty on a Himmlesdorf. You hope the enemy team has crap yolo players you can farm.

Thejagdpanther #8 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:09 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34548 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS
By reading the forum, you just go RRR yolo autowin.

tank276 #9 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50083 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostRyn1k, on 16 May 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

I've come to loathe this map. I genuinely think it's really bad now, and I hate it everytime I get into it. I think the design is bad. Someone can disagree, doesn't matter to me, but here's the actual problem; I have no clue where I'm supposed to go on a big slow bad camo'd tank like the Maus on this map:

Posted Image

• If I go on the west side, there's a ton of TD's/other campers waiting for me, and with the bad camo I can't advance. If I camp, then I cannot fulfill my role properly.
  • If I try to climb the hill (east side) I get shot in my side by tanks who are camping in around the mid area behind the rail lines. The hill seems useless in the 1.0 version...
  • If I climb the hill, there's usually someone camping over there and again you just get shot to crapby everyone and their cousins hamster.
  • If I go into the middle, I don't have the gun depression to peek the hill.
  • If I go in the city, you tend to just get shot, the tank is too big to hide in there.

So, what is the best strategy on this map on a tank like this or similiar? It really seems like there's nothing else to do except to camp and see who loses patience first. The absolutely most stupid part is that sometimes I can't even get over the rails on the top spawn before I'm spotted and someone starts shooting me in the side. There is no way to avoid it, it's the furthest possible route to the hill that I can take from that side.

Feels dumb that you just cant even exit the spawn properly before being shot, because the tank is so slow. Any tips appreciated.

For me best place is centre, west of the railroad line and try to hit targets on the hill to the East by peaking.

If it is an arty game, you will have a bad time.

Not the best of maps for vehicles described but think of a game you drive arty or a light tank in Himmelsdorf .

Ryn1k #10 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1646 battles
Thanks for the replies (ones you can take seriously). I guess I'll just start camping the middle/west side and pushing on west when the situation allows. Not exactly dynamic and enjoyable gameplay but whatever.

tank276 #11 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50083 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostBalc0ra, on 16 May 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

Same thing you do when you get a light or arty on a Himmlesdorf. You hope the enemy team has crap yolo players you can farm.

Lol +1 for the Himmels note. (out of likes)

Homer_J #12 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28767 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostRyn1k, on 16 May 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

Not exactly dynamic and enjoyable gameplay but whatever.

I suspected this was your problem from the start.  You just need some patience, not every game is push from the first second.

Solstad1069 #13 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:13 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 41019 battles

Prokhorovka is THE best map in the game, its made by someone who understood mapdesign. It gives everyone a chance to excell.

With some exceptions like in a real slow heavy tank combined with 2-3 arties.

So with no arty in a Maus u can do really well. If there is encounter mode i would avoid 1 line because its too far away from the white flag and you risk not getting involved at all.

6-7 line on the ridge is a very good spot, but you dont go over the ridge or poke over, you focus on the hill and its extremly difficult to pen Maus shooting down from hill at that distance.

Not to mension all the spot damage you get from staying here.

You can also go hill, but it takes a bit too long getting there, if you go hill just dont show your side to the railway tanks and you will ding for thousands.

This map is made for Masteries.

Edit: Of course you poke over the ridge if the enemy moves too close to you, but never go to the point were the TDs can crossfire you from 1 line bushes.

Edited by Solstad1069, 16 May 2018 - 01:19 PM.

HassenderZerhacker #14 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:14 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27224 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

for survival, the best is to go to the hill and snipe the center while hiding your LFP.

other possibility is pushing the 1-2 camper corridor but this needs support from 3-4 other tanks and good TD backing.

center is too exposed to arty and side sniping, if you snipe from center towards meds on the hill, other tanks in the center will shoot the side of your turret. no good.

Shaade_Silentpaw #15 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22636 battles

If there's 0-1 arty, I pretty much always go middle in heavies as I've had some really fun games doing that.

If there are 2-3 arty it makes pretty much no difference, you get raped wherever you go - in such a game it's possible I might just suicide rush down the TD camp and hope it's enough for the team to break through.

THE_JACK_OF_HEARTS #16 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9513 battles
camp at back, in heavy bushes.

Dorander #17 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:20 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18192 battles

View PostRyn1k, on 16 May 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

Thanks for the replies (ones you can take seriously). I guess I'll just start camping the middle/west side and pushing on west when the situation allows. Not exactly dynamic and enjoyable gameplay but whatever.

Prokhorovka is a patience map. It lacks the typical corridor design so you can't simply win your lane. West side is mostly TD camps so you really need that Maus armour to get through there, if at all. Don't try it if you don't know where their camping Deathstar(s) is/are and especially if you don't know where one unspotted Light tank is.

The rest of Prok is basically crossfiring between the center and the hill. If everyone camps, you're likely to fail, if you spot for the other players, you can clear out whomever can potentially spot you and push one of the flanks. Problem occurs when everyone camps and yells "Spot!" If you have nobody in the center next to the railway, it's very likely to be a loss 'cause that person can't spot the enemy on the other side and nobody can fire at their hillcampers, leaving anyone who gets spotted exposed to two lanes of fire.

MeetriX #18 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

Major

• Player
  • 20508 battles
Ah we can bounce if we want to, we can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't bounce and if they don't bounce
Well they're are no friends of mine
I say, we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find
And we can act like we come from out of this world
Leave the real one far behind,
And we can bounce

doriansky1 #19 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29056 battles
  • [SKIL1] SKIL1

If there is no arty, go middle  :  you can spot the campers (both Maus and Mauschen have good view range) ,  you can also shoot the campers (both Maus and Mauschen have guns); plus, you have easy shots on people playing the hill. You may take shots in return but that's why you have HP, right?

If there is arty, go middle :  because of the heavy spall liner mounted on Maus/Mauschen.

Hill is not an option because you will lose half of the battle and most probably the battle itself. Camping with a Maus will work if and only if the enemy team will not be able to exploit the fact that you are doing that (the probability of this is actually preety big), but let's be serious. Just don't.

View PostSolstad1069, on 16 May 2018 - 01:13 PM, said:

Prokhorovka is THE best map in the game, its made by someone who understood mapdesign. It gives everyone a chance to excell.

Glad to see i'm not the only one thinking this about Prok.

Simeon85 #20 Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:45 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 1097 battles

Middle, hardly hard to well in a super heavy on Prohk, you are still a giant slap of HP and armour that takes ages to kill especially at long ranges which is where most of the shots come from on Prohk.

Spot for your team, take shots, be a presence, push when the time is right, the Maus also has a decent gun for a heavy and is more than fine at shooting at longer ranges. 

It is way way easier to play the Maus on Prohk than it is any paper med, light or TD on maps like Ensk, Himmelsdorf, Abbey, Mountain Pass etc. and there are way more of those maps so it's not a valid complaint IMO, just a learn to play issue. 

Also tagged with crap, map, design

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users