gameplay query for those who do

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

arthurwellsley #1 Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

Major

• Player
  • 50487 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

Do any of the people reading this forum regularly get General Rank in matches?

If you do please can I have some tips. Of particular interest to me are the following;

1. What tanks if any do you find the best for achieving General Rank in?

2. If Defending do you have a particular favourite corridor?

3. If attacking do you have a particular favourite corridor?

4. It seems to me defences of C tend to last much longer than A or B. if you are allocated C as defence do you immediately move elsewhere?

5. If you have C to attack do you immediately move elsewhere?

6. How important is capping or de-capping to getting General Rank?

7. Is damage more important ie a full damage shot, or kills ie finishing off a low health enemy? Or does that not matter?

8. Is attacking Objectives towards the end of an attack more important than finishing off enemies or the other way around?

9. Do you frequently move across corridors onto other maps or stay on the side allocated? (moving across maps means time spent not firing so balanced against where might be advantageous?).

10. Is it worth going to a repair zone to repair a tank if you want General Rank or is that time wasted when you could be firing?

11. Can you get General Rank in mediums or do you need to play heavies? What about lights?

12. Is it possible to get General Rank while platooned or is it easier playing solo?

Edited by arthurwellsley, 16 May 2018 - 02:14 PM.

PoIestar #2 Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:32 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 30821 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

1. I usually start off in the Progetto 46, then switch between either FCM 50 t or ISU-152. Tanks I couldn't find useful as of yet: Strv S1, T-44 and T32 FL, AMX M4 49.

2. It depends, I just see where to spawn and mostly keep myself in that sector, possibly changing sector when either I get outgunned too quickly.

3. Same here, although attacking on B tends to be quite painful sometimes.

4. It's probably because the defending team on C have quite the range across the enemy tanks. Less so than the attacking team, if you ask me.

5. No, I think C is quite comfortable playing on. B however...

6. Haven't noticed it that much, I rarely cap because I prefer giving fire support to the tanks which do cap, of which there are a lot.

7. In the Progetto I shoot whatever I can. If that's a killshot or not. In the ISU, I prefer to use my rounds on higher health targets, because that's where the ISU has 750 alpha for.

8. I noticed that abandoning the objectives can result in not being able to finish them in time, hence why I shoot the objectives whenever I can.

9. As I said, mostly not, but it depends.

10. Repairing your tank can definitely help. If not for the extra HP, it could be for the extra ammunition you receive.

11. I've seen lights doing it but I wouldn't prefer it. I reached general rank a few times in the Progetto, never in heavies because I don't use them. I did reach general in the ISU a couple times, too.

12. Never played in platoon but it's doable either way.

Simeon85 #3 Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 1097 battles

Biggest key is making the game last long enough IMO. Only got it a couple of times, they were the games that last like 25 minutes plus.

If the game is like 10 minutes you'll have to play out of your skin to get general.

Strappster #4 Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:44 PM

General

• Player
  • 23587 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

1. I made Major for the first time last night playing a rotation of T-44, T-54mod1 and T-44-100. I think it helped to play essentially the same tank as I could stick with one way of playing but it also helped that I've played a few FL battles now, I'm beginning to understand the map and I'm not simply rushing for the caps.

2-5. I don't have enough experience of it to have developed any favourites yet.

6. I think it's more important to focus on keeping the battle running - more time ⇒ more chances to deal damage ⇒ better rank.

7. I'll take a low hp target out before looking for more damage. It's one less gun shooting back.

8. Depends on what the defenders are doing. If they're rock-camping then I'll find a safe-ish position and fire on the turret. If they're rushing, I'll switch to shooting them.

9. Depends on how the battle's developing. If there's a stalemate in one channel I might switch to another if I can see a flanking opportunity or an easier push.

10. Weigh up repair time against the delay before you can get back into battle; not just the spawn delay but the time it'll take you to drive from where you spawn to where you can do damage again. Plus you get ammo and consumables, not just repairs.

11. I think it comes down to what you play best.

12. Only played it solo so far.

firelars4 #5 Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 40404 battles
  • [E-BAY] E-BAY

View Postarthurwellsley, on 16 May 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

If you do please can I have some tips. Of particular interest to me are the following;

faster meds with a little armour. I mostly play T-44-100 spaghetto and FV4202. IS-3 works aswell

from A, I try to go between the smaller hill on the left and the cap and go hulldown there. can get health fast and reset cap.

from B, I just avoid going to the right (looking from when you spawn) and try going left to get shots on the cap. otherwise to the middle and stick to the right. When they put pressure on the cap I go to the left side and drive a little up the rock to gain gun dep and try to create more angles to reset the cap.

from C, I go to the left to get side shots and prevent them from healing themselves.

From A, I just rush the cap.

From B, I try to stick to the right and stay on the lower ground until enough people died so I can go cap.

From C, I go to the little hill and try to kill as many people as possible so we can go cap.

4. It seems to me defences of C tend to last much longer than A or B. if you are allocated C as defence do you immediately move elsewhere?

no, I only move away when I die. It may not be the smartest move, but I can keep firing longer and thus do more dmg.

no

If you can cap all by yourself you will go up like 1-2 ranks depending on what rank you are

7. Is damage more important ie a full damage shot, or kills ie finishing off a low health enemy? Or does that not matter?

no idea

8. Is attacking Objectives towards the end of an attack more important than finishing off enemies or the other way around?

attacking objectives seems to give less point towards gaining the next rank

9. Do you frequently move across corridors onto other maps or stay on the side allocated? (moving across maps means time spent not firing so balanced against where might be advantageous?).

Only when attacking and we've won the cap to go flank another front.

10. Is it worth going to a repair zone to repair a tank if you want General Rank or is that time wasted when you could be firing?

That depends. if the game is almost over you can better go for dmg. you also want to make sure you don't run out of tanks and have to wait a while. I usually go back to a repair point around 200-500 HP left, Depending on the tank and the situation on that front.

11. Can you get General Rank in mediums or do you need to play heavies? What about lights?

Lights seem to be the worst choice. So far I've mostly played mediums, but faster heavies seem to work aswell.

12. Is it possible to get General Rank while platooned or is it easier playing solo?

It is ofcourse possible when platooned, but I found it easier when playing solo. 

Simeon85 #6 Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 1097 battles
Oh, I also noticed QB seemed to farm a lot of XP using the consumable that boosts your teammates tanks 

signal11th #7 Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:53 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 33901 battles
  • [E-BAY] E-BAY
I use the same three tanks which seem to work for me in getting general, Skorpion,Progetto and a Blackdog. For general I find getting damage in the skorpion fast at the start the best way (for me) No gold ammo needed, no food etc, usually make around 300-500 per game with a single credit booster on.

vorlontank #8 Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23158 battles

View PostSimeon85, on 16 May 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

Oh, I also noticed QB seemed to farm a lot of XP using the consumable that boosts your teammates tanks 

is that the inspire?

WhoCares01 #9 Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11466 battles

With respect to damage vs. objectives (6.), I made a screenshot of a particularly telling result - unfortunatly I don't have them at hand right now :P

We won a battle, can't remember whether attack or defense, and we had two generals, one with 12k damage the other with 7k damage (assistance was very little for both, so no real factor). The 12k general had just 9 cap/defense point, the 7k general 200. The 12k general led the scoreboard by just about 30 EXP.

And yes, QB runs "Inspire" on his tanks.

Strappster #10 Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

General

• Player
  • 23587 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSimeon85, on 16 May 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

Yeah, I put some points into that last night for the same reason. It works quite well if you can pick the right moment to activate it.

lolek4311 #11 Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16177 battles
  • [SLOEX] SLOEX

View Postarthurwellsley, on 16 May 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

For me personally its T-44-100, Progetto and WZ-132 (Black dog if you have it is better)

Not really I just stay in the region I spawn in but I do have preffered positions in every corridor.

Same as number 2 though lately I try avoiding attacking C because the meta is for defenders to push to spawn and spawn kill everybody.

Not immediately I stay there for a minute or two and then in most cases leave as by that time we have 15 people defending it.

Same as 4 but the other way around 15 people defend it and its pointless (only started doing it lately as mentioned in number 2).

From my experience capping or shooting attackers that are capping gets you up the ranks way faster.

To me it seems the same but then again I'm playing tanks with 240-250 alpha so not that much dmg compared to an IS-3 or VK.

My feeling is that shooting objectives gets you less renking up points than if you do that same dmg to tanks but it might be just me (note that I prefer shooting objectives as I really hate losing).

I move quite a lot depending on the situation which is why I only play fast mobile tanks.

If I am a one shot and can go for repair I do as respawning will take 30s so that is time wasted as well.

Like stated before all I play are mediums and a light but from what I have been told the Chinese WZ premium TD can be great to farm dmg and therefore get higher rank.

Its more than possible while platooned if its easier solo don't really know but I would say not.

Just to make it clear I don't get general rank every single game but if the game lasts 20+ mins I always get to Major or General depending on my early game contribution. I mostly struggle at the beggining of the games when I either do tons of dmg or barely any but in the end I almost always reach at least Major. Never had anything below captain and even that was only in the 5 or 6 games where they lasted 15 mins and because of the reason stated before I couldn't farm enough in the end to get to at least major. Its like Simeon said the longer the game the higher the chances for most players to get general rank. The best players can also do it in 15mins. 

Balc0ra #12 Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62806 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

1: CDA 105 as defender, Progetto as the attacker

2: C and F always gives good farming opportunities as the defender, and where I have had the best and fastest General ranks.

3: B.. going the hill to the left of cap and farm assist and HT damage pushing cap is to easy. E is not that bad either.

4: C is usually the one the attackers abandon first. And if it's a 10 vs 4 there. No point staying put if you want rank fast. 

5: No, Progetto or any med can farm great damage early on via hill or the right side flank suppressing the HT pushing for cap. 

6: Can't say I see it jump as fast when capping. But if you get lots of decap damage, or kills. It jumps way faster. As the fastest Major to General Run I had was 15 seconds, as I got 4 kills and a few more damaging hits in the T-44-100 hitting E cap from the Church at the border of B and E.

7: Well it seems to jump higher if you smack someone for 750 in the ISU, vs if you take out a 50 HP tank in the open from what I've seen.

8: If you are alone and can farm the objective. Do so. Like the 4 turret you can farm from the 5 turret area. Rank jumps as fast if you damage that vs a tank from what I've seen.

9: Again, if it's a 10 vs 4 on my lane. No point staying to push or defend if you have to fight for the little HP there is with 10 other guns. Then I always move to a different lane. As if you stay put, then your rank will really move slow.

10: If you die faster by not doing it when they push on you, it's equally as much time lost spawning and driving back again. But if you are safe, on the 2nd line and farming just fine. Then no, usually not.

11: I've gotten it in anything. ELC even 90 with 16K assist with a recon plane combo. Clip HT's like the Emil I pushing lanes, Progetto farming flank damage or even the CDA defending.

12: I've only platoon once to get the medal. Rest was solo. I can't say It was harder or easier either way. It's again based on what you do, not what your platoon does.

WorkingasIntended #13 Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9562 battles

Lots of questions so I'll add another one......

What is this clan bonus / boost people keep talking about?

In relation to nosey's question (read simon scarrow napoleon and wellington trilogy), VKp can be really useful for capping or defending zone c. or defending final objectives but is too slow for most of map. Porgettos are very annoying (don't have one) and seem to do well.

Skorpion is v good as is amx 100. I quite often move from lane to lane if needed and you can actually make a big difference.

6: Capping and de capping seem to affect rank a lot

7: Often get promoted after killing no matter how ow the HP so I guess so?

No idea on everything else!

8126Jakobsson #14 Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:09 PM

Major

• Player
  • 61051 battles
idunno, I just shoot at stuff. If you feel like relocating and there will be lots of driving downtime you can always head towards death either by guns blazing or a tactical crash. Spending gas doesn't gain you any experience. :child:

lolek4311 #15 Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16177 battles
  • [SLOEX] SLOEX

View PostWorkingasIntended, on 16 May 2018 - 03:07 PM, said:

Lots of questions so I'll add another one......

Not 100% sure but you are probably thinking about the clan credit boosters that better clans have activated during frontline. If you have those (tier 10 ones are +30%) on top of personal boosters the difference in credits made can be as much as 350k credits if not more because both combined give you +80% credits so almost double.

WorkingasIntended #16 Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:18 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9562 battles

View Postlolek4311, on 16 May 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

Not 100% sure but you are probably thinking about the clan credit boosters that better clans have activated during frontline. If you have those (tier 10 ones are +30%) on top of personal boosters the difference in credits made can be as much as 350k credits if not more because both combined give you +80% credits so almost double.

​Thank You. Do you just need to be in the clan and they activate it or do you earn your own within a clan? I guess this is what clans earn via strongholds? Sorry for asking noob questions.

To OP. Artillery and airstrikes are also really useful imo especially for de-capping or hitting camping Skorps etc when attacking.

StinkyStonky #17 Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25106 battles
  • [H5VOC] H5VOC

View PostWorkingasIntended, on 16 May 2018 - 02:07 PM, said:

Clans can earn "boxes" in Strongholds.  They use those to buy boosters.  Credit boosters are the most popular but they're also available for tank XP, Crew XP and Free XP.

The top clans run 50% credit boosters virtually all the time.

It's not specific to Front Line.

View PostWorkingasIntended, on 16 May 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

​Thank You. Do you just need to be in the clan and they activate it or do you earn your own within a clan? I guess this is what clans earn via strongholds? Sorry for asking noob questions.

Your earn "Industrial Resources" for the clan.  Senior ranked clan officers can use these to  construct and activate "Reserves".  They apply to everyone in the clan.  Typically the boost is higher in team game modes than in Randoms.

https://worldoftanks.eu/en/content/strongholds_guide/reserves/

H5 run credit boosters most nights, so if you're interested, give us a call :great:

Vule777 #18 Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:27 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20176 battles

I almost get general rank, I will get it.

Well for me is known trajectory only between B and C, all the rest is different from game to game. If you are on C and start with fast Td or light attacking, for me the best spot is on the cliff in bottom between zones, if defend almost the same but only that you go on path facing B. From there you can give your team support, spoting and decent dmg.

I play with FL tanks but more with med, T28 prot and Bc light. Bc is not that good for frontline but with it you can easy pass thru uncaped zones and attack 1 or 5 gun while your team trying to cap.

In regular game T28 is s#it for me, but here is awesome. If you have good crew on it, you can easy do a lot damage and the armor is great.

WorkingasIntended #19 Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:29 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9562 battles

View PostStinkyStonky, on 16 May 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

Your earn "Industrial Resources" for the clan.  Senior ranked clan officers can use these to  construct and activate "Reserves".  They apply to everyone in the clan.  Typically the boost is higher in team game modes than in Randoms.

https://worldoftanks.eu/en/content/strongholds_guide/reserves/

H5 run credit boosters most nights, so if you're interested, give us a call :great:

Thanks Chap. I had no idea !  :amazed:

Search_Warrant #20 Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 25990 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View Postarthurwellsley, on 16 May 2018 - 01:13 PM, said:

ARTY! yeh i know... the dreaded hated arty.!

The maps huge.. not many corridors, you can flank in this mode!

Attacking is all about temaplay moreso than defending, wait till your teams on your rear then go for the cap with Engineering skill.

C is very hard to Attack but if you can kill a few enemies fast enough you should be able to give some breathing space, worst comes to worst, if they outnumber you allot LET THEM HAVE C! push another flank and let them waste there time farming the 3 people on that flank while you push into there base from another flank.

Read the responce above. answers this.

VERY! depending on how long the persons been on the cap is depending on how much Tier Exp you get when they die/you have lived on cap, they been on the cap a while? BAM! they give a ton of tier Exp.

50/50 getting damage with good rank threw defence/attack multiplies your exp. get exp threw damage/assistance and try rack up the multiplier Tier Exp.

Not sure how much EXP destroying the objectives give, but doing objectives gives points to Ranks. enemies are endless, you wont be short of damage, but losing will hurt your exp gain in the end. best get the objectives done while getting damage against anyone trying to stop you.

I played arty allot in this mode, i fired into other zones to help them cap if mine have capped already. if i get C in arty i just fire at B coz C is pretty bad for arty, why waste my time on a near uncappable zone when i cna help the others cap there's? when thats done a few can move to our Zone and help push.

Depends on the speed of your tank, if its fast its worth it, if its super low then it depends on your hitpoints/time it takes to get to depo and back. dieing hurts your credit gain but im not sure how repair bill works if you take your hitpoints down, refill and take more damage.

Lights can work, spotting gives a good bit of Tier Exp! the mobility is usefull in these open maps AND you can flank! the pen is still pretty garbage even for tier 8 (most are 175 pen, WG hate LT's hurting stuff). Light Tanks can harass seriously well with these maps.

Playing arty most times and solo. i got General quite often and mostly ended on ether Captain or Major. tho General was always rather easy to obtain for me, maybe because arty is like that or something...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users