Uses for unpopular consumables and equipment

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Steeleye_Spam #1 Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27702 battles

Hi,

So I was wondering whether people have used the rarer consumables and equipment, and whether their use is actually ever worth not putting in one of the mainstream items onto your tank. I for one have hardly ever used any of these in 25k+ battles. Just wondering whether i'm missing out, or whether there are cases where these items are worth using.

Oil & gasoline / speed governor

So, I guess this is aimed at light tanks, but is a 5-20% increase in speed actually worth not having a fire extinguisher/food or the like, especially as they are relatively expensive ( as oil is always consumed)?

Spall Liners

They sound good on paper, but in reality (and with new arty mechanics), is it ever worth having a spall liner over a more mainstream module in your TD or superheavy - as it will save you a relatively modest amount of hit points and stun time? 

Wet Ammo Rack

Ok, so some tanks like to blow up, but again, with a 'safe stowage' skill, surely this module isn't worth replacing something else

Cyclone Filter

With rechargable repair kits i can't see any point in having this module - any specific examples where it was?

CO2

Again, surely much better to have a fire extinguisher and/or a fire fighting skill than this.

Additional Grousers

So some tanks don't do well on soft ground. Well, there are skills for that, and I can't say going slightly faster on soft ground gives me more advantage than a 10% reload rate - am I wrong?

Quintuss #2 Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25545 battles
  • [DIVA_] DIVA_

The speed governor is very usefull for russian artys: costs near nothing (well, tiny amount of engine repairs if you survive) and gives 10% more PS whenever you turn it on for relocating. As you usually don't use it all the time the slow damage to the engine doesn't hurt - it is so slow you can drive a minute with no visible damage.

Edited by Quintuss, 16 May 2018 - 03:52 PM.

tank276 #3 Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:06 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48877 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostSteeleye_Spam, on 16 May 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

Used it to some extent in my earlier days in the game, mainly in tiers 1-3. Dont use them any more

Spall Liners

Think I use one on my grind on the T28, was considering putting one on the O-Ni but didnt.

Wet Ammo Rack

Used it for a long time in Leopard PTA, Leopard1 and AMX 50B, have removed them all nowadays.

The ammo rack probability has either gone down by a buff, or my dodging skills in the Leopards have improved.

Thats about it I guess, most of them are useless or marginally useful on very specific vehicles as you point out.

Strappster #4 Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:16 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

They don't increase your speed, they increase your engine power which in turn improves your power/weight ratio meaning you can get up to speed sooner. Useful on some light tanks but I keep them at lower tiers (i.e. below 6) where a fire usually means you're dead anyway. I use the cheap oil/gasoline consumables for a small boost to tanks that are otherwise sluggish like the Covenanter and AMX ELC.

Spall Liners

Yes. Reduced stun and protection for crew and internal modules is worth it on tanks that attract a lot of arty.

Wet Ammo Rack

The only tank I've got this on is my Skoda T 25 as even with Safe Stowage it's a liability. If I could use something else such as vstabs though, I wouldn't bother, especially as we've got reusable repair kits now.

Cyclone Filter

Never used it.

CO2

Yes to the fire extinguisher or skill, particularly as this does nothing to prevent engine fires.

Additional Grousers

Never used them.

breeeze #5 Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28465 battles
  • [S4] S4

Oil: Food exists and already boosts acceleration by 5%, so oil is useless. Maybe edge cases with food + oil, like arty in CW.

Spall liners: Takes away a an equipment slot so it is not useful. It does improve HE resistance on superheavies, so if you absolutely need to, you can install it instead of vents or optics.Commonly used on Type 5s in CW.

All others: completely useless, do very little while taking away an equipment slot.

Lord_Edge #6 Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 5951 battles

View PostSteeleye_Spam, on 16 May 2018 - 03:41 PM, said:

Spall Liners

They sound good on paper, but in reality (and with new arty mechanics), is it ever worth having a spall liner over a more mainstream module in your TD or superheavy - as it will save you a relatively modest amount of hit points and stun time? 

Spall liners are more useful since the arty change (as they don't work against AP), useful in superheavies if you hate Types and FVs (it's funny imagining the face a type driver makes when his 5000c shell does <300 damage).

Edited by Lord_Edge, 16 May 2018 - 04:21 PM.

Dava_117 #7 Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18538 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

View PostSteeleye_Spam, on 16 May 2018 - 03:41 PM, said:

Hi,

So I was wondering whether people have used the rarer consumables and equipment, and whether their use is actually ever worth not putting in one of the mainstream items onto your tank. I for one have hardly ever used any of these in 25k+ battles. Just wondering whether i'm missing out, or whether there are cases where these items are worth using.

So, I guess this is aimed at light tanks, but is a 5-20% increase in speed actually worth not having a fire extinguisher/food or the like, especially as they are relatively expensive ( as oil is always consumed)?

Spall Liners

Wet Ammo Rack

Ok, so some tanks like to blow up, but again, with a 'safe stowage' skill, surely this module isn't worth replacing something else

Cyclone Filter

With rechargable repair kits i can't see any point in having this module - any specific examples where it was?

CO2

Again, surely much better to have a fire extinguisher and/or a fire fighting skill than this.

Additional Grousers

So some tanks don't do well on soft ground. Well, there are skills for that, and I can't say going slightly faster on soft ground gives me more advantage than a 10% reload rate - am I wrong?

Well, I use Spall liner on both KV-4 and ST-I instead if vents. Doesn't work much against Arty shell, but you can bounce some derp HE if they hit the thickest armour (300mm*1.1*1.3= 429 effective armour against not penned HE on ST-I turret front, around 300 for KV-4). Can be an advantage when facing jap tank or high caliber HE spamming tanks and can be a life saver when enemy load HE to dig you out of a strong position. 

Edited by Dava_117, 16 May 2018 - 04:54 PM.

Dorander #8 Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:43 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17854 battles

View PostLord_Edge, on 16 May 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

Spall liners are more useful since the arty change (as they don't work against AP), useful in superheavies if you hate Types and FVs (it's funny imagining the face a type driver makes when his 5000c shell does <300 damage).

Have you actually tried this with the FV? 'cause last I checked spall liners didn't protect against penetrating hits, and the pen values of the FV are high enough... spalls have typically been an anti-arty thing for me

Bordhaw #9 Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:58 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10828 battles
WG said earlier this year that they would revamp equipment and crew skills after 1.0. But I wouldn't hold your breath. 

kaneloon #10 Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27362 battles
  • [OBLIC] OBLIC

Spall liner for test on my T-10, I really saw its use once vs a type 5.

Speed governor on Obj 261, since nothing more usefull to put on. Difficult to judge if it has a real impact.

Element6_TheSprout #11 Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:44 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29043 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I use gasoline on one tank, the Super Pershing. It gives a boost to turret traverse too, not only engine.

Lycopersicon #12 Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:06 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10600 battles
I think some people use fuel consumable in turreted TDs to improve turret traverse. Removed speed governer is perfect for Soviet arties. Spall liner finds some use but TBH I am pretty sure that there is always some better use for that slot. Same about wet ammo rack. Others: hell no.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 16 May 2018 - 08:08 PM.

Tankyouverymuch2 #13 Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29705 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

How many tanks can even use the Additional Grousers? I've only ever seen that thing available for the Pz. IV H, and no other tanks.

Why isn't it available for other tanks? :ohmy: I've got some tanks which desperately need that piece of equipment. Even with off-road driving and clutch braking maxed out the turning is still rubbish.

Baldrickk #14 Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29530 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostTankyouverymuch2, on 16 May 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

How many tanks can even use the Additional Grousers? I've only ever seen that thing available for the Pz. IV H, and no other tanks.

Why isn't it available for other tanks? :ohmy: I've got some tanks which desperately need that piece of equipment. Even with off-road driving and clutch braking maxed out the turning is still rubbish.

I still have them on the PzIIIae

LCpl_Jones #15 Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:32 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9743 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I've got grousers on the pz III J for chasing lights and doing the circle death dance on heavies :trollface:

Snake_Keeper #16 Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:24 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8587 battles

I use grousers on the Schmalturm. Don't really need optics cause I'm always behind someone, and god that thing is a moving brick without them. Used gasoline on the Pz 3/4, you almost never got set fire on that one, also use it on any arty/td that can use it. And have it on the Schmalturm, again, never really get set on fire on that thing.

Plenty of tanks in the German tech tree that can use gasoline instead of having a extinguisher. Most of them never really get set on fire unless you are showing your rear to the enemy at which point you are dead anyways so might as well have something that helps you get that last shot off.

undutchable80 #17 Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 6964 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I have grousers on my PZ.IIIE also. Cant mount GR or Vstab on low tier tanks anyway, and reading the WoT wiki, it actually "needs" it.

Have contemplated putting High Octane on my turreted TDs to help with the turret turning time, but decided to spend my money during last weekends equipment & consumable discount on other stuff I needed harder.

Put Spall Liner on my Tog II and Pz.Kpfw. B2 740 (f) since they attract arty like no tomorrow

tumppi776 #18 Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:13 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 41396 battles
  • [GG_EZ] GG_EZ

I play E 50 M for ramming fun. So I have controlled impact + enchanced suspension for keeping tracks on for longer.

Considering also putting on Spall Liner. But as I can already ram any tanks without completely wrecking myself (= super heavies) spall liner might be overkill.

Dorander #19 Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17854 battles

View Posttumppi776, on 17 May 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

I play E 50 M for ramming fun. So I have controlled impact + enchanced suspension for keeping tracks on for longer.

Considering also putting on Spall Liner. But as I can already ram any tanks without completely wrecking myself (= super heavies) spall liner might be overkill.

There is no such thing as overkill.

SABAOTH #20 Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

Major

• Player
  • 36437 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View PostStrappster, on 16 May 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

They don't increase your speed, they increase your engine power which in turn improves your power/weight ratio meaning you can get up to speed sooner. Useful on some light tanks but I keep them at lower tiers (i.e. below 6) where a fire usually means you're dead anyway. I use the cheap oil/gasoline consumables for a small boost to tanks that are otherwise sluggish like the Covenanter and AMX ELC.

Spall Liners

Yes. Reduced stun and protection for crew and internal modules is worth it on tanks that attract a lot of arty.

Wet Ammo Rack

The only tank I've got this on is my Skoda T 25 as even with Safe Stowage it's a liability. If I could use something else such as vstabs though, I wouldn't bother, especially as we've got reusable repair kits now.

Cyclone Filter

Never used it.

CO2

Yes to the fire extinguisher or skill, particularly as this does nothing to prevent engine fires.

Additional Grousers

Never used them.

Agree.

Would use them only if they would ever allowe more equipment slots, otherwise they are almost useless (grouser on pz 3/4 works pretty well in maneuverability on soft terrain but never found any other tank worthy of that)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users