• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

StinkyStonky #1 Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29440 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

Is WoT in Decline ?

I've seen this claimed a few times (e.g Sir Foch's "Bobject" rant).  It's inevitable that one day WoT will fall into decline.  Is that already happening ?  Perhaps.  I don't know.

If it is, What are the reasons ?

We see lots of rants ... arty, gold ammo, OP prem tanks, 3-5-7 MM, low stat "bot"/"bob" players.  I don't believe it's any of these things.

Here's what I believe

1) People have become bored.

The game is 7 years old and after 3,4,5,6 years and 20k, 30k, 40k battles players just become weary of the same thing.  They same tanks, same maps, same tactics, same old same old.

2) People discover new hobbies.

Linked to (1), they discover new games, they take up other (non-gaming) hobbies, they start new jobs, new relationships, go to Uni ... and just don't want or have the time.

3) The grind.

People start full of ambition.  They want the IS7, T110E5, BatChat 25t, Object 140, a Tier 10 arty, the E3, the Type 57 Heavy, the Maus, the E100 ... But after a while ... although they want the Type 5 Heavy, the Super Conq, the TVP T50/51, the 103B and Kranvagn, Progetto 65, 705A, 430U and a host of Tier 10 light tanks ... the thought of all that grinding is just tiresome.

4) The constant (huge) cost.

Every new premium tank is tempting.  Especially if its for a new nation and covers a line where you don't yet have a crew trainer.  Especially if it's iconic or overpowered, like the Defender, KV-220-2 or E25.  Especially if it comes with a zero skill crew.  Especially if it has a unique feature like seige mode or auto-reloader.  Especially if it's used a lot in Strongholds (Lorr 40t).  Especially if it's rare (Mutant).  Especially if it's a great credit maker (Skorpian G).

And then there's premium time ... for the Nth year.  And a bit more gold for some skill resets.  And some Christmas boxes. And ...

Many players realise that this "free" game has cost them 100s if not 1000s and the only way to break the habbit is to walk away.

5) No end game.

People run out of goals.  Their stats stop going up.  The lose interest in MoEs.  They stop making progress on Personal Missions.  Weekend specials aren't specials.  Marathons are grinds for a discount.  The Tier 10s they are going for are just alternatives for the ones they already have (Type 5 vs Maus, T57 Heavy vs AMX 50b, BC 25t vs TVP 50/51, etc.).  They just run out of reasons to play.

Those are all reasons why existing players leave.

Then there are

6) The huge learning curve for new players

It takes literally 1000s of games to learn all the details.  Armour thicknesses, shell characteristics, play strategies with different tank types, all the different tanks, all the different maps, crew skills, equipment, premium tanks, etc..  For the first few 1000 game most novices are stumbling around in the dark.

7) Seal clubbing

Most noobs rush straight to a <48% WR.  They get farmed left right and centre by clubbers who have selected OP tanks and put the best equipment and crews in them.

8) The RIDICULOUS cost.

This is an emperors new cloths thing.  We are so familiar with the costs that we've lost sight of how ludicrous they are.  To a noob it goes like this

A KV2 is free.  The premium gives a little extra silver, trains inconsequential skills a little faster and looks slightly different.  So these small stat modifiers and a skin, for a little bit of Downloadable Content (it's not like it's a 30 hour PvE campaign) cost what ?  25p ?  £2.50 ?  No  £25 .... TWENTY FIVE QUID !!!!  You are having a Turkish !

9) High Skill Opponents

As a noob goes up the tiers they run into more and more high high skill players with highly trained crews firing lots of prem ammo.  They know all the best spots and the noobs get farmed.  This gets worse and worse the the higher up the tiers they go.  I wasn't like this in the early days when everyone was a noob, but after 7 years there are lots of unicorns in every battle.  So it's hard for noobs to do well and enjoy the game

Not all of these factors have equal significance and obviously don't all apply to everyone who leaves, but in my opinion, these are vastly more significant than say ...

3-5-7 MM

Arty

Defender / Object 268 v4

Gold Ammo

Provence, Paris, Pilsen, etc.

Edit: added (9).

Edited by StinkyStonky, 18 May 2018 - 11:52 AM.

peekakilla #2 Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11381 battles
carpe diem

Cobra6 #3 Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:53 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16343 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

I'm still amazed Wargaming managed to convince us a few pixels are worth €30-€40.

Don't get me wrong, I fall for it myself too, but it's still quite the achievement.

The Day WG pull the plug from the servers, all that money you spent will cease to exist and you'll have nothing to show for it as it's not a single-player game that you buy one and then always own a copy you can play.

WoT is dying obviously since the new influx of players will become ever smaller and smaller while the number of people leaving will ever become bigger and bigger. It's peak was a couple of years back and the decline will be a lot slower then the rise.

Only thing Wargaming can do is make sure that they are not speeding up the decline with worse and worse balancing decisions and their constant need to implement ever more powerful and unbalanced tanks in the hope of reinvigorating the "want" for people to grind/buy them.

A tactic like this works in the relative short term but in the long run more and more players will catch on to what is really going on and they'll leave faster than they would have done if Wargaming had just focussed on properly balancing the game instead of going for the (relatively) short term financial gains.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 18 May 2018 - 11:57 AM.

ThebaldEagle #4 Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 764 battles

I am still amased that this is still used

Block Quote

Gold Ammo

I guess that the HAVOK Clans are really proud of you after you killed your topic with those 2 words.

etody77 #5 Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 63914 battles
  • [PT-RO] PT-RO

and selfish players in battle, they dont help to  not allo you to make some exp.

frontline based random battles could revive the game, higher prices for premium time instead of gold ammo and premium tanks

Hero_of_Tython #6 Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24495 battles
  • [AOTO] AOTO

Interestingly there is another thread on the front page asking a similar question but blaming 3-5-7 MM, gold, OP premiums ect. So well done to the OP for actually identifying the things more likely to eventually lead to the death of this game (or in fact any other MMO) rather than the usual forum rant topics.

The issues identified by the OP are faced by virtually every MMO game out there. I mean one day even Blizzard will have to shut the WoW servers down. The key question to bear in mind is this, does WG think there are enough people playing to justify investing more money in new content? And by new content I mean new tank trees, maps and game modes not just more tier 8 premiums tanks. Right now I would say the answer is yes, with the new front-line mode, Italian tech tree, upcoming Polish tech tree and version 1.0 it seems WG are currently happy to invest in new content which means they are happy that the game still has some life left in it.

The game will one die, all games do, and anyone with sense should realise this and accept that all them money they've sunk into the game will be gone for good.

Homer_J #7 Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29674 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostStinkyStonky, on 18 May 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

Is WoT in Decline ?

No.

/thread

Dava_117 #8 Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:38 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 20214 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostThebaldEagle, on 18 May 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

I am still amased that this is still used

I guess that the HAVOK Clans are really proud of you after you killed your topic with those 2 words.

can't see how this killed the topic, especially since it's listed as one of the problem that won't get WoT to die...

signal11th #9 Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 38206 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL
tbh if someone can't be bothered to learn or grind or mind getting clubbed by players that have spent years learning the game then these are players I don't really want in the game anyway. Every game is dying the moment it's released like real life, nothing you can do about it. I think they direction WG as a company have taken is good for them but not really good for anyone else who actually plays and is interested in the game , they just cater to the majority of people who play this game which unfortunately whom are a fairly bad standard. cash flow model is good in this respect but for anyone with half a brain it's basically a slap in the chops.

jabster #10 Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12598 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View Postsignal11th, on 18 May 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

tbh if someone can't be bothered to learn or grind or mind getting clubbed by players that have spent years learning the game then these are players I don't really want in the game anyway. Every game is dying the moment it's released like real life, nothing you can do about it. I think they direction WG as a company have taken is good for them but not really good for anyone else who actually plays and is interested in the game , they just cater to the majority of people who play this game which unfortunately whom are a fairly bad standard. cash flow model is good in this respect but for anyone with half a brain it's basically a slap in the chops.

I think there’s some truth in that. WoT started out based in WG’s strategy roots but as time has progressed they’ve realised that mass market appeal makes them more money. See also any FPS series ever.

Nethraniel #11 Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:53 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 13535 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postjabster, on 18 May 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

I think there’s some truth in that. WoT started out based in WG’s strategy roots but as time has progressed they’ve realised that mass market appeal makes them more money. See also any FPS series ever.

This goes even so far, that I feel, it is really hard to find really well made games with lots of depth nowadays, because the big publishers do not support developers with great ideas but only the ones with seemingly the most profitable and risk free approach to games.

jack_timber #12 Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:56 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34462 battles

Thought it was going to be normal rant but I was wrong.

Well put arguments especially about the same old, same old....

Still have fun though, well for now.

clixor #13 Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51948 battles

I always said that at the moment WG introduces a premium KV-2 the end is near..:)

But i'm not agreeing with OP's assessment that players run out of goals. I'm sure loads of players have given up on grinding but for the ones who really want, there is new tank content being implemented on a regular basis and always something to grind. And if not grinding, there can be personal goals of improvement (win8, wr, moe). And also humans tend to focus on the negative, but there also a lot of battles that are fun, win or lose.

tankqull #14 Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21187 battles
  • [WBD] WBD

beside the cost and somewhat point 9 none of your points seems valid to me.

1/2. people become bored with every game. the question is is the company running the game able to compensate the losses of old players by aquiring new players or not. currently i do not think that this is the case for WG.

3. the grind actually is what most people encourage playing - show me one game not having any type of grind being succsessfull.

4. as i state i´m on your side here.

5 no endgame is actually a bonus as endgames include a game ending. if you have reached the endgame its only a matter of time most less than a few months and there is nothing to do anymore...

6. why is a huge learning curve a downside? it encourages player to either become a better player or stay as a tomato. once again show me one hobby without any learning curve that keeps one interested for more than a few days.

7. every game existing for a longer timeframe centred about pvp has to deal with that, weaker minded players use these options to fullfill their desire of domination they cant get elsewhere... common behaviour of human mankind saddly.

8. see 4.

9. to boil your point 9 down to its core its balance. and it is a problem especially in terms of Tier 9&10 wich have been insanly overbuffed within the last 2-2.5 years. when you have in mind that several years ago when the game still had a +4MM a T6 could do more against a T10 tank with standart ammo thx to weakspots worth that name than currently T8 using gold ammo can do vs the same tank wich is perfectly showing that balance has recieved a significant hit... (towards the wrong direction)

this is intensified by the 3-5-7 MM wich is dominated by the 3 top tier tanks thanks to the increased imbalance between tank tiers leading to the situation where toptiers become the whole reason for a win or lose. wich is extremly prevelant when those people are rather bad players but still carrying a game thx to the chosen tank like heavy 5s or V4s.

so the real question should be is this game intresting for new players to be played and atleast for me, i´m not recommending the game in its current state to anybody who asks me for a game recommendation.

and the reasons aren´t game difficulty, other players, learning curves or costs but entirely the diection this game is headed to by its developers.

thestaggy #15 Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15360 battles

For me it is the grinds coupled with how awful tier 10 is. I started out wanting a myriad of tanks. I've settled on 4 tier 10s - which I've barely played in the past 2/3 months - and I have 6 tier 9s in my garage that I actually enjoy playing and won't bother turning in to tier 10s. 

Aside from premium tanks, I have no keepers below tier 9. Even clubbing tanks people rave about like the T67 and Hellcat just irritated me. I was so happy when I recently sold the Hellcat. My time with the game will be up when I no longer have fun playing my 13 90, Skoda T50, 257, E75, Conq or 430.

kejmo #16 Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29446 battles

You forgot the greatest charactheristic of World of Defeats !

Defeats ! Constant losing !

THAT is real FUN ! :)

Itchy_Pants #17 Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10670 battles
I hope it isn't in decline, as I only just discovered this game recently, not long before the 1.0 update. One thing I can't help but notice, however, is how the resources made by WoT gamers - that is, guides & playing advice, wikis and so on - often seem to be years old. Often I wonder how out-of-date they are. Possibly people who have been playing WoT for a long time and have no need of these things won't have noticed this.

Emeraldweed #18 Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10440 battles
  • [-322-] -322-

the only thing that frustrates me the most is broken tanks and WG's  aggresive marketing. I don't mind bad mm-gold ammo-bad maps etc etc since you can overcome those issues with pure skill and knowledge. But i can't cope with a low skilled player to autowin a game just because he drives THAT tank 

Sunshinetrooper #19 Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:21 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8105 battles
I'd always suggest to stay on WG mailing list, even if you leave the game due to boredom/grind/commitments elsewhere. I regularly dip in and out of the game every few months and its the e-mail updates that bring me back, specifically the British upgrade a bunch of patches back and recently, 1.0 patch. It can be good to take a break from a game for a while and come back later. 

xx984 #20 Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:40 PM

Major

• Player
  • 56388 battles
  • [SHEKL] SHEKL
According to threads here it has been since 2012

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users