A returning player: A few thoughts. Also, Arty rant.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Kandreev #1 Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:00 PM

Private

• Player
  • 362 battles

Played this game since Beta, on a different account.

After about 3-4 years of inactivity, I've created a new account to start again, see how the game is better.

Firstly, the graphics. They are better. My computer is also much better than what it was before. The standard filter was trash so I had to tone down the contrast a bit, and it is all fine.

The Gameplay. Hasn't changed much. Could be a bit quicker than what I remember was before, but I am unable to .

Arty, and also the point of this topic, is the thing I noticed has changed a LOT. Previously, Arty was an somewhat inaccurate glass cannon that cound one-shot people that stay on one place too much. Now, it is a sniper that will hit you and will stun you. Every. Single. Game.

Okay, Fair enough. But the main gripe is that arty's role is not what it should be now. Where before arty was to counter heavy tanks (Based on the age old Rock-Paper-Scissors principle), now arty targets mediums as they are most effective against them. (IE can also do a fair bit of damage to a medium)  Arti can and will hit you Every. Single. Game as a medium. Every single time you are in an open space. And will apply stun to you as well, a mechanic which is ridiculous. Nobody likes stuns and crowd control, in ANY video game. Nobody likes his character/vehicle, what have you, be reduced in effectiveness, even for a few seconds.

I feel it has been made too accurate, and can even go as far as to say that it also is worse than its previous, classical iteration.  I'd rather be blown out in one shot on occasion and say "OK fair enough I camped too much" than have a 100% justified fear of arties for the WHOLE TIME I play the game, even as a medium, a class that shouldnt be countered by arties.

That was my rant, and I would welcome a discussion how I can deal with arties and avoid them, or if it really is worse in the end.

Strappster #2 Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:05 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostKandreev, on 18 May 2018 - 05:00 PM, said:

I'm really a wizard called f'tang The Seer and I visit this realm in order to tell idiots that there's a pinned thread specially for arty discussion at the top of the gameplay sub-forum.

You're welcome.

unhappy_bunny #3 Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

If you are getting hit by arty, every battle, you are doing something wrong. 

It means you are getting spotted but are not moving enough to drop spot. 

You have to work at this game, it doesnt just hand glory to you on a plate. 

Bordhaw #4 Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10823 battles

That was my rant, and I would welcome a discussion how I can deal with arties and avoid them, or if it really is worse in the end.

So what do you want a God mode ? 

Element6_TheSprout #5 Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29043 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

A few words on graphics and then 90% of post about SPGs...

I r8 1/8 camo m8

Kandreev #6 Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:02 PM

Private

• Player
  • 362 battles

View PostElement6_TheSprout, on 18 May 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

A few words on graphics and then 90% of post about SPGs...

I r8 1/8 camo m8

Your comment is even less useful, but hey, whatevs. I guess that is the freedom of posting so I ain't gonna flame.

Well to be honest in the years i've been inactive, I guess only the arty has changed significantly to merit mention.

I can go on about how there is also an inflation of autoloaders too, but that is more avoidable.

My main point being that while the arty does a whole lot less damage now, it is way more accurate and has a stun on top, IMO being way less fun to play against than the previous incarnation.

Dorander #7 Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:02 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17854 battles

I'm not a fan of the new stun mechanic either, but I get why they made the changes. They did not make the changes due to the perspective of people being hit by arty, they made the change from the perspective of people playing arty. Which, if I were honest, is a better perspective to uphold as a game designer. And even with the changes I STILL do not consider artillery very fun to play, though I vastly prefer its presence in my random battles over not having any.

Artillery is still pretty inaccurate, there's just a few ridiculously accurate models around. It does significantly less damage, and the stun mechanic can be mitigated a little with medkits. Small medkits cure a stun if none of your crewmember are knocked out, if one is you have to revive that one first, else you can just unstun with a medkit. Large medkits seem significantly better now.

I also would add that even before this change, artillery frequently shot at mediums as a favourite target because they could, on a direct hit, oneshot a tier 10 medium with a tier 8 arty. I've seen it happen, I've had it happen to me, I've never gotten lucky enough to do it myself. I'm not sad to see that mechanic gone.

For the rest, like Strappster said, artillery discussion thread is pinned now for this stuff.

Element6_TheSprout #8 Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29043 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostKandreev, on 18 May 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

Your comment is even less useful, but hey, whatevs. I guess that is the freedom of posting so I ain't gonna flame.

Well to be honest in the years i've been inactive, I guess only the arty has changed significantly to merit mention.

I can go on about how there is also an inflation of autoloaders too, but that is more avoidable.

My main point being that while the arty does a whole lot less damage now, it is way more accurate and has a stun on top, IMO being way less fun to play against than the previous incarnation.

True, I'm not constructive at all, at best I am sarcastic.

Would you believe some players cheered when they heard of this SPG change? People are still debating wether it was a buff or a nerf.

The reason I am sarcastic is that we are now in the 7th year of SPG complaints where the forums have been anything from very constructive to outright derogatory without it having had any identifiable impact on WG. They still close SPG threads and refer to the sticky, which serves as little more than a venting room.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for any major changes.

Dorander #9 Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17854 battles

View PostElement6_TheSprout, on 18 May 2018 - 06:18 PM, said:

True, I'm not constructive at all, at best I am sarcastic.

Would you believe some players cheered when they heard of this SPG change? People are still debating wether it was a buff or a nerf.

The reason I am sarcastic is that we are now in the 7th year of SPG complaints where the forums have been anything from very constructive to outright derogatory without it having had any identifiable impact on WG. They still close SPG threads and refer to the sticky, which serves as little more than a venting room.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for any major changes.

Admittedly one of the best SPG changes WG has implemented, for me as a forumite, is that they close all arty threads and refer it to that sticky, which naturally I avoid like the plague 'cause there's only so dead a beaten horse can be before it actually starts spreading the plague.

sgtYester #10 Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53375 battles
  • [RANGF] RANGF

View PostStrappster, on 18 May 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

I'm really a wizard called f'tang The Seer and I visit this realm in order to tell idiots that there's a pinned thread specially for arty discussion at the top of the gameplay sub-forum.

You're welcome.

ohh, u mean that garbage disposal thread that nobody reads just so mods can close threads about arty being broken still??

and thnx to HE buff arty is now OP like never before.  with more than 1 arty in tyhe game.,...it gets bad fast...rly fast

Strappster #11 Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:31 PM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostsgtYester, on 18 May 2018 - 06:27 PM, said:

ohh, u mean that garbage disposal thread that nobody reads just so mods can close threads about arty being broken still??

At least you acknowledge that the repetitive arty whine threads are garbage.

View PostsgtYester, on 18 May 2018 - 06:27 PM, said:

and thnx to HE buff arty is now OP like never before.  with more than 1 arty in tyhe game.,...it gets bad fast...rly fast

soul3ater #12 Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18668 battles

Same old same.

I know lot's of people who don't play this game anymore due to arty and other issues but mainly that bs of arty.

Dorander #13 Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:53 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17854 battles

View Postsoul3ater, on 18 May 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

Same old same.

I know lot's of people who don't play this game anymore due to arty and other issues but mainly that bs of arty.

If something that's been part of 90% of the game's lifespan bothers you so much you quit playing fast. Bet these "lots of people" have thousands of battles done anyway, which would make this statement pretty disingenuous.

Element6_TheSprout #14 Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29043 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostDorander, on 18 May 2018 - 07:24 PM, said:

Admittedly one of the best SPG changes WG has implemented, for me as a forumite, is that they close all arty threads and refer it to that sticky, which naturally I avoid like the plague 'cause there's only so dead a beaten horse can be before it actually starts spreading the plague.

I seldom rate changes as I welcome all changes that simply doesn't remove chunks of the game in one go. I do of course not agree to all map removals and desicions to keep some maps, but on a general level changes always provide new incentives. Personally I see the SPG change as a buff and think they should not be top tier as much as can be avoided, other than that I love the game just as much as when I started playing.

HeidenSieker #15 Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:02 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View Postsoul3ater, on 18 May 2018 - 07:37 PM, said:

Same old same. I know lot's of people who don't play this game anymore due to arty and other issues but mainly that bs of arty.

How're player numbers and WG's profits doing, I wonder.

Erwin_Von_Braun #16 Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:04 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37324 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

After about 3-4 years of inactivity, I've created a new account to start again, see how the game is better.

Firstly, the graphics. They are better. My computer is also much better than what it was before. The standard filter was trash so I had to tone down the contrast a bit, and it is all fine.

The Gameplay. Hasn't changed much. Could be a bit quicker than what I remember was before, but I am unable to .

Arty, and also the point of this topic, is the thing I noticed has changed a LOT. Previously, Arty was an somewhat inaccurate glass cannon that cound one-shot people that stay on one place too much. Now, it is a sniper that will hit you and will stun you. Every. Single. Game.

Okay, Fair enough. But the main gripe is that arty's role is not what it should be now. Where before arty was to counter heavy tanks (Based on the age old Rock-Paper-Scissors principle), now arty targets mediums as they are most effective against them. (IE can also do a fair bit of damage to a medium)  Arti can and will hit you Every. Single. Game as a medium. Every single time you are in an open space. And will apply stun to you as well, a mechanic which is ridiculous. Nobody likes stuns and crowd control, in ANY video game. Nobody likes his character/vehicle, what have you, be reduced in effectiveness, even for a few seconds.

I feel it has been made too accurate, and can even go as far as to say that it also is worse than its previous, classical iteration.  I'd rather be blown out in one shot on occasion and say "OK fair enough I camped too much" than have a 100% justified fear of arties for the WHOLE TIME I play the game, even as a medium, a class that shouldnt be countered by arties.

I call Cow Chutney on this.

Who are you really?

Recently banned from the forum maybe?

Asklepi0s #17 Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:06 AM

• 5644 battles
  • [WG_M] WG_M
Due to the high number of Artillery threads, we want discussions to take place in the main pinned thread here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users