M3 Stuart - Advice please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

Bloodaxe31 #1 Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:58 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9381 battles
Like many before and since when I started WOT I sped through the lower tiers to get some big tanks as soon as I could.

So I never played some tanks much - for example 3 games 3 defeats in the M3 Stuart and 2 (1 minute) games 2 defeats in the M3 Lee.

Having got to Tier 7 and realising that is about my limit (35,000 XP to go to elite the IS) I'm returning to some of the (awesome?) lower tier tanks I disregarded before.

This time around I reacquired the M3 Stuart - upgraded it, gave it vents, cameo & binoculars, and 100% crew.

B)

Still rubbish - even by my standards. Didn't get a win till my eighth game - record now 13 games 3 wins.

:huh:

So how do you play this thing?

What's the best equipment to mount?

And what's the best gun - the 37mm or the auto cannon?

It seems if I try and scout I just run into the entire enemy formation on Sand River and get swatted - if I try and engage in combat neither gun does much damage - and even if I whizz over the hill at Malinovka, destroy the arty and cause chaos on enemy camp our own team has camped and been wiped out.

I know there are lots of fans of this tank so your advice please.

:Smile_honoring:

Otherwise I'm going to have to wait for the fabled British Tech Tree to come along with a Cromwell to do to for this Stuart what he did for King Charles.

:Smile-izmena:

Dear user, please browse the forums before choosing where to post new topics, there is a forum section dedicated to US Light Tanks, please note that this topic fits that section more than any other. This is not the first time you make this mistake please don't make a third happen.
~ Kieme

Homer_J #2 Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:03 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17801 battles
  • [AXIOM] AXIOM

View PostBloodaxe31, on 01 December 2011 - 06:58 AM, said:

I know there are lots of fans of this tank so your advice please.

Really?  I almost never see one (and I play quite a bit in low tiers).  I have the premium version but only keep it because Overlord gave it to me. B)

If you want a tier 3 that is half decent then the Pz38t would be the one to go for.

JayJay4466 #3 Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:23 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 18307 battles
i did have one in the dim and distant past but i don't remember too much about it.

My stats suggest that my own performance in it was poor yet i won 54% of battles in it (Total of 100 battles).

That suggests to me that we won despite my poor performance rather than me contributing much, so where wins are concerned i think you've just been unlucky.

Give yourself a bit more time and things might improve on their own.  :)

DrBake #4 Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:00 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7927 battles
-Use the 37mm gun, the hispano gun is pointless in tier 3.
-Don't get into long range firefight. Instead try to do the circle of death against other tanks. Or try to rush the enemy base and take out any SPG or TDs that are camping there.
-Luchs has similar playstyle with M3 Stuart and is a much better tank (more agile, better gun, better armor), so you may want to take a look at it.

azakow #5 Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:22 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 49092 battles
  • [FGTD] FGTD
A in-game-vehicle, american, light tank!
Maybe this forum will deliver the information you are seeking.

Deukmans #6 Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 7962 battles
  • [DD] DD
my advice: get a 80-100% crew and the 37mm cannon.

its a bloody agile tank so you can dodge many shells. dont play i like a scout. play it like a fast brawler.

my tactic is to close in to about 100m and then use auto aim and circle the enemy to death. when you start shooting further away then 150-100 m you miss too much.

i got 7kills this way when i wasnt top tier (was t4 game, with a20 and stuff)

spuriousmonkey #7 Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:04 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 23459 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Personally I prefer the M5 stuart with the howitzer. I can't remember any nice things about the M3 except that it is reasonably fast. But I am afraid that with the upcoming HE update the M5 won't be fun any more.

I use the M5 stuart in various roles. When i am in the top half I am in the front line blasting tanks away using speed and shock.

When I am in the bottom I scout, and always look for the opportunity to shoot a HE shell into someone's back.

Czert1938 #8 Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:45 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 29127 battles
  • [CR_] CR_

View PostHomer_J, on 01 December 2011 - 07:03 AM, said:

Really?  I almost never see one (and I play quite a bit in low tiers).  I have the premium version but only keep it because Overlord gave it to me. B)

If you want a tier 3 that is half decent then the Pz38t would be the one to go for.
Personaly I find pz38(t) best tier III light. It is small, fast enoug, and have good gun.  Others tanks have guns with bigger pen, but IMO aiming time is here more imortant at these light tank clashes. When you face KV, well every t3 light tank is scewed. It should deseve more powerfull engine, and bigger speed, but only few times will better speed will help you.
Sometimes i thing that max speed over 60km/h means "suicide scout with this tank for scout medal and screw your team" apply for 99% of players.

Czert1938 #9 Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:55 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 29127 battles
  • [CR_] CR_

View Postspuriousmonkey, on 01 December 2011 - 09:04 AM, said:

Personally I prefer the M5 stuart with the howitzer. I can't remember any nice things about the M3 except that it is reasonably fast. But I am afraid that with the upcoming HE update the M5 won't be fun any more.

I use the M5 stuart in various roles. When i am in the top half I am in the front line blasting tanks away using speed and shock.

When I am in the bottom I scout, and always look for the opportunity to shoot a HE shell into someone's back.
Yeah, for me M5 was crappy tank, until I discovered power and beauty of 75mm howitzer. In one ganme I was low-middle (or mayby even bootom) in my M5 with 75, campninovka. Performance of my team was very bad, so i decided to suicide charge enemy positions (from hill side)...ending in me taking out 6 (7) enemy tanks, damaging 4(5) others (including 2 kills "stolen").
Great game.
But if they nerf HE then...i will cry.  :(

Fraeggsau #10 Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:32 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 8630 battles
40 games 67% winrate... I just love my M3 Stuart!

The best Tier 3 tank in my eyes, even though I play my M22 more.

I have a ~ 60% camo crew, vents, camonet, binocs, and a manual firextinguisher on it.
Gun: 37mm M-6, like on the M22 Locust... This gun is awesome! Not so much DPM, but good pen, good accuray, very good aimtime and more than enough ammo. You can snipe with this gun just aswell as brawl.
I once even sniped aPz IV from 100% to zero... Took over ten shots and a Pz IV driving two times through my field of view (one time to get to a sniping position, one time to get back to base), showing me his sides for a long time... But he never saw me, while I slowly drained his HP :)

I start the game by looking at what the others do, pointing out obvious gaps in our defense, filling them myself if noone reacts.

I try to find a nice hiding spot to bring the good gun of the M3 to bear. Normally I manage some kills or assists early game. I also try to help our frontline tanks (if they are not stupid rushers) from afar, giving them firesupport. When I see that we get anumerical advantage midgame, and some tanks start to advance, I join them still trying to stay in bushes and not be spotted.
If i'm on a deserted flank and the game is not going in our favor, i go for the cap, if theres noone else, by myself.

Often lategame I switch to brawling mode, which is especially effective against tds an spgs if you manage to close in and block their rotation before they can turn in your direction

i_was_here_97 #11 Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 8197 battles
  • [RDDT4] RDDT4
really? i love this little thing!