Is XVM violation of 2018 reform of EU data protection law?

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

_Davidge_ #1 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11818 battles

EDITED 24 May 2018.I apologize for editing, the substance of orginal post is not changed only summarised.

WG has obliged in the contract to not share our data to Third parties without our approval.

That is why there is Third party approval sign form in players account management.That includes XVM. One can not install and  use XVM without signing Third party approval form in personal account.

However, even without our approval our personal account data are taken and allowed to be harvested by a third party which is a group of individuals with obviously resourceful informatics knowledge, XVM team.Those same now proccessed data are than returned back in game in a form of in-battle satistics which makes game more easy  for those who use it and gives them information that vastly exceeds information that original game delivers to other players during battles.

We do not say XVM team wants to abuse data, jet a door that are opened to XVM team exclusively without our approval is potential mechanism of data security violation .

If this is not true, or in any case, Wargaming just needs to show good will and add an option for personal statistics delivery to XVM be allowed ,or blocked, by free decision of every player  ,so every player would have option to take recpocibility and many dillemas will be solved by this.

We think Wargaming could be now in position  of violating EU data protection law that comes to power in all EU states soon.

If we  didn't signed our data to be delivered to Third parties, and if they are still delivered without our consent it could be violation of our right.

It does not need to be sensitive data that are used, it is a non-transparent Internet data sharing practice that could enable treat  to security of personal data and thus could be a violation of EU data protection law.

​We , as a WG custommers who signed digital contract with WG would like to hear Wargaming official answer or at least ensurance in case we are wrong.

Edited by Wayward_Current, 24 May 2018 - 12:58 PM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to use of the red color.

DracheimFlug #2 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:07 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles

View PostWayward_Current, on 22 May 2018 - 09:04 AM, said:

Hello dear tankers.

As we all Know XVM is using our personal dana, as a Third party site, without our permission,So wuithout even installing XVM mod(and similar mods) some of our personal dana are used by unknow Third party organisation that is outside the officla game we allowed to participate in.

I would like to start debate is this vilation of 2018 reform of EU data protection rules which are stariting to be in power in all EU member couintries by the end end of May 2018.

Your opinion.

We would also like for Wargaming to officially declare its position about this.

Given it is publicly available information (in that I can go to your profile and check your stats specifically), it might be hard to argue that there is any violation. I am not a lawyer, though. Oh and good luck getting WG (or any company) to debate their legal position in any public forum, or even privately other than in court.

Nethraniel #3 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:08 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 13222 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

At the moment XVM is using public data (your player profile with all the statistics is visible for the public). Public data is not personal.

The question needs to be, are game statistics personal data in a sense, that you need to get an 'opt-out' questionaire, whether you want to keep the game statistics private, beginning with the 25th of May.

Edited by Nethraniel, 22 May 2018 - 09:09 AM.

shishx_who_is_rosa #4 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:11 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 689 battles
  • [MEME] MEME

Your grammar is the biggest "vilation" here. :hiding:

(sorry, I had to)

Edited by shishx_who_is_rosa, 22 May 2018 - 09:11 AM.

_Davidge_ #5 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:12 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11818 battles

View PostNethraniel, on 22 May 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

At the moment XVM is using public data (your player profile with all the statistics is visible for the public). Public data is not personal.

The question needs to be, are game statistics personal data in a sense, that you need to get an 'opt-out' questionaire, whether you want to keep the game statistics private, beginning with the 25th of May.

​They are using our data without our consent.Of course there is formal approval for our data to be used by the Third parties in personal account mamangement, but  even if we do not sign this approval XVM uses, proccesses, and delivers our data in-battle.

View Postshishx_who_is_rosa, on 22 May 2018 - 09:11 AM, said:

Your grammar is the biggest "vilation" here. :hiding:

(sorry, I had to)

​Ad hominem argument is always best proof argument hit the spot. 

Edited by Daxeno, 22 May 2018 - 10:30 AM.

Balc0ra #6 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:15 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66296 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostWayward_Current, on 22 May 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

​They are ousing our data without our consent.Of course there is formal approval for our dana to be used by the Third parties in personal account mamangement, BUT, even if we do not sign this approval XVM uses, processes, and delivers our data in-battle.

Data that is public to anyone via their site and your profile. They don't use anything else to make their WN8 data etc. And iirc... you gave consent when you made your account to make that data public anyway. But I doubt any 3rd party usage is affected by it or any law tbh.

As the new law in place is mostly for secret data, not public info. As in email etc you can't see on your profile. And WG don't sell your data to XVM. Nor is it used to get you better adds etc that the law protects you from. As I've been getting 20+ emails from all the sites I'm active on in terms of privacy and them making sure your data is safe in accordance with the new laws. Tho WG is not one of them.

Edited by Balc0ra, 22 May 2018 - 09:22 AM.

shishx_who_is_rosa #7 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 689 battles
  • [MEME] MEME

View PostWayward_Current, on 22 May 2018 - 09:14 AM, said:

​Ad hominem argument is always best proof argument hit the spot. 

Confusing personal and public data is bad when you think about it.

Edited by shishx_who_is_rosa, 22 May 2018 - 09:16 AM.

Kozzy #8 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View PostWayward_Current, on 22 May 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

​They are using our data without our consent.Of course there is formal approval for our data to be used by the Third parties in personal account mamangement, but  even if we do not sign this approval XVM uses, proccesses, and delivers our data in-battle.

I believe the data needs to identify an individual (or be used with other data to do so).  Does this cover fake internet names? 

DracheimFlug #9 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:18 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles

View PostWayward_Current, on 22 May 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

Did you specifically give consent to me personally to read this post of your's that I am replying to? No, but you gave general consent by posting it in an open forum. That makes it fair game. Similarly, while you did not give XVM specific consent, they are using publicly posted information, thus arguably legally obtained.

shishx_who_is_rosa #10 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:18 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 689 battles
  • [MEME] MEME

View PostKozzy, on 22 May 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

I believe the data needs to identify an individual (or be used with other data to do so).  Does this cover fake internet names? 

I made an experiment and wrote my WN8 next to my shipping address. Shipments came 1-2 days faster to my doorstep!

Nethraniel #11 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:18 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 13222 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Actually yes, because via internet name, account email, transactions, and IP it is possible to track the original person.

douglarse #12 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 57781 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

So are you saying that our service records are personal property or have I missed something here?

_Davidge_ #13 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11818 battles

​Actually, we do not know which data are used by the third parties?

And if this question was already not a law matter, why there is form of signing allowance to approve use of our data by Third parties in Playeer account mamagement?

(  which  in case of XVM are still used even if we do not allow).

Edited by Wayward_Current, 22 May 2018 - 09:21 AM.

Jumping_TurtIe #14 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6246 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Are we even sure that the winrate which you have in a tank which is a public accessable number falls under the personal data ?

_Davidge_ #15 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11818 battles

View PostJumping_TurtIe, on 22 May 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

Are we even sure that the winrate which you have in a tank which is a public accessable number falls under the personal data ?

​repeating--if this question was already not a law matter, why there is form of signing allowance to approve use of our data by Third parties in Player account mamagement?(  which  in case of XVM are still used even if we do not allow).

DracheimFlug #16 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 8957 battles

View PostWayward_Current, on 22 May 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

And if this question was already not a law matter, why there is form of signing allowance to approve use of our data by Third parties in Playeer account mamagement?

Because there is data that is private, such as our spending habits with respect to the game, and our geographical location, real names, etc. And they might be required by law to have that question in there even if they do not share that information.

Edited by DracheimFlug, 22 May 2018 - 09:25 AM.

Nethraniel #17 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:25 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 13222 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Interestingly, I found this in German:

https://www.bdolegal...grundverordnung

Especially this part:

Auch darf der Sportverein ohne Einwilligung Wettkampfergebnisse oder Ranglisten mit Namen der Sportler veröffentlichen, da die Wettkämpfe regelmäßig öffentlich sind und der Verein ein berechtigtes Interesse daran hat, wichtige Ergebnisse seines Vereinslebens nach außen hin darzustellen. Veröffentlicht werden dürfen jedoch in aller Regel nur Name, Geschlecht, Geburtsjahr, Wettkampfergebnis, Verein und Mannschaft.

translating to:

A sports club may publish match results and rankings with the name of the athlete without further consent, because the matches are held in public and the club has a legel interest in publishing important results of the clubs everyday life to the public. Publishable are only name, gender, year of birth, match results, sports club, and team name.

If you relate 'sports club' to WoT and athlete to player, this might hold true for online games.

Balc0ra #18 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:26 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66296 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostWayward_Current, on 22 May 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

But XVM don't use any of your personal real life data that the new law is aimed for. Only public info on a "fake" profile, or stats if you will, not it's hidden info. Nor have WG sold them any hidden info or is using your email etc to send you adds that is not public info. As the login is done via WG to even protect that when you use XVM.

Nethraniel #19 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:28 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 13222 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostWayward_Current, on 22 May 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

​repeating--if this question was already not a law matter, why there is form of signing allowance to approve use of our data by Third parties in Player account mamagement?(  which  in case of XVM are still used even if we do not allow).

The consent for sending your personal data to third parties refers to detailed personal information sent to business partners of WG (e.g. paypal, etc.)

XVM is not a third party site that gets access to your personal data. XVM just goes to your public profile, that can be visisted by everyone and uses the numbers there.

WhoCares01 #20 Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11525 battles

View PostJumping_TurtIe, on 22 May 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

Winrate probably not, but owning premium tanks could relate to spending habits, which is something that might well be considered information worth to protect/hide.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users