Japanese medium tanks, anyone ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

BdW_Marecc #1 Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:27 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10402 battles
  • [BPG_G] BPG_G

I was looking for tips on how to play the type 61 but everything I found seemed so outdated. So I checked vbaaddict - the type 61 is by far the least played t9 medium tank, even behind reward tanks like the T55A and new(ish) entries like the 430U v2. 

And the few "nice" things I found on the Type 61 are not encouraging either - stuff like "it's tier for tier better than the T-X STB-1".

Overall, the Type 61 strikes me as a tank with a few nice things that do not synergize well (or at all), Like it has gun depression, but not the turret armor to work ridgelines like a Centurion. It has theoretical DPM, but not enough pen or accuracy to actually make fully use of it. It's a medium but it's not actually fast. In order to compensate for the sluggishness is does NOT receive armor.

I am really struggling to find a purpose for this tank, and I have to keep forcing me to play it, with so little to go for it and not much to expect from unlocking T-X.

Thoughts ? I read somewhere that the Type 61 and STB-1 might get some buffs when they get their HD models, but the Type 61 received the HD model in November 2017 and no dice, so - the tank is "fine" ?

Edited by BdW_Marecc, 23 May 2018 - 03:38 PM.

_Sensation_ #2 Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7188 battles
  • [ORIGN] ORIGN

They're both HD. Both of the tanks not really good for their tier and as you explained they're kinda awkward to play. Just don't expect anything then you'll be ok I guess :harp:

Edit: I don't think either of them will get buffed within the next year, so If you're waiting for a buff before getting them you might just wanna grind something else.

Edited by _Sensation_, 23 May 2018 - 03:33 PM.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66269 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

There are no tanks without HD models atm, so no changes will come due to that now.

But the Type 61 is a pure 2nd line support med like the tanks before it. It's not a role it excels at vs other tier 9 support meds, but it works and that's it. Even as top tier it's not always clever to push up first. It's no AMX 30 in terms of DPM or mobility either. But it has great pen for a tier 9 med, 390 alpha, and good enough aim time and dispersion to get the job done.

But If you want to really be silly, mount the stock 90mm and go nuts. Mine has 3700 dpm with that gun, and can be fun or interesting now and then vs most tier 9 meds. But it lacks pen then ofc. I actually did most of the MT missions on the 260 with the 90mm gun and the Type 61.

Edited by Balc0ra, 23 May 2018 - 04:05 PM.

tank276 #4 Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50083 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostBdW_Marecc, on 23 May 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

the type 61 is by far the least played t9 medium tank

There is a reason for that, probably the worst t9 med along with the chinese one

stuff like "it's tier for tier better than the T-X STB-1".

Thats not true, the DPM potential plus "ridge cresting" technics in the STB1 are uncomparable. Ofc its has no armour and it misses a lot

I am really struggling to find a purpose for this tank

Just a stepping stone if you are interested in the STB1

I read somewhere that the Type 61 and STB-1 might get some buffs

That would be nice

Crusherheads #5 Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15888 battles
Russian mediums are the power house this days...

JocMeister #6 Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 23247 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostBdW_Marecc, on 23 May 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

I was looking for tips on how to play the type 61 but everything I found seemed so outdated. So I checked vbaaddict - the type 61 is by far the least played t9 medium tank, even behind reward tanks like the T55A and new(ish) entries like the 430U v2. 

And the few "nice" things I found on the Type 61 are not encouraging either - stuff like "it's tier for tier better than the T-X STB-1".

Overall, the Type 61 strikes me as a tank with a few nice things that do not synergize well (or at all), Like it has gun depression, but not the turret armor to work ridgelines like a Centurion. It has theoretical DPM, but not enough pen or accuracy to actually make fully use of it. It's a medium but it's not actually fast. In order to compensate for the sluggishness is does NOT receive armor.

I am really struggling to find a purpose for this tank, and I have to keep forcing me to play it, with so little to go for it and not much to expect from unlocking T-X.

Thoughts ? I read somewhere that the Type 61 and STB-1 might get some buffs when they get their HD models, but the Type 61 received the HD model in November 2017 and no dice, so - the tank is "fine" ?

Type 61 is IMO absolute garbage and I rage sold mine after 70 games. The tank is absolutely useless. The gun while good on paper never performs. Its slow, has no armor whatsoever, viewrange is garbage, Camo is garbage. Everything is garbage. Its an absolute disaster of a tank. 

Global WR of the Type 61 is 47.5. Its ranked 45 out of 50 tanks. Only WZ120, WT IV, M103 and two clickers have worse WR.

Edited by JocMeister, 23 May 2018 - 04:27 PM.

TheR3dBaron #7 Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 34339 battles
  • [REMY] REMY
I like the STB-1 and sometimes (very rarely) the gun seems more accurate than the Leopard 1, go figure. All in all, it's a collector's item, so I got it. It's one I like to take out for a spin occasionally.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users