Any advice for the O-I?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Cst_69 #1 Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

Private

• Player
  • 590 battles
I will soon get it once i have some credits (less than a week probably) and i want to know how to play it, if you know any tank that excels at making credits, please post them here, i would love it ( http://forum.worldof...edits-tier-i-v/), here are some questions i want answers for: What should i train my crew? ; What gun should i use? ; How should i play it and how to hide weak spots(if any, i heard that it kind of lacks weak spots)? ; Is it worth it? ; If you have any other tips than the ones i asked for, i would be happy to hear them.

Edited by Cst_69, 23 May 2018 - 05:23 PM.

wremise #2 Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 47602 battles
  • [P4NTA] P4NTA

Just get the big gun, and roflstomp everything what is in front of you.

The only think you have to beware, is that your side is your weakspot, dont go to easy flankable flanks, well, and prey that you can kill anyone who comes near you, because if not.... mobility is crap

Baldrickk #3 Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:21 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29530 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

What should i train my crew?

Repairs, BIA, 6th Sense, gun handling and mobility skills.

Don't bother with camo

What gun shall i use?

Whichever works for you. Do you prefer pew pew or derp?

How should i play it and how to hide weak spots(if any, i heard that it kind of lacks weak spots)?

Angle about 10 degrees. Keep near cover to stop people circling you. Watch your sides.

Only weakspots can't be seen on visual model are small and not well known (mini-turret turret rings where they protrude from the side)

Is it worth it?. 

Do you like OP but boring tanks?

leggasiini #4 Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:25 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12446 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
Just dont go alone and dont play too aggressively unless you're against tier 4s and 5s. The reload is terrible. Just find a corner to hide from arty and to have a cover when you reload

Nosferat1 #5 Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15181 battles
  • [GI-J] GI-J

It's not exactly a mobile tank, I simply play it kv2 style with the HE gun. Derp, move back, reload, derp, move back, reload, if need be push, if not blast HE in the face of whoever comes to face me. By the derp gun, I mean  15 cm Howitzer Type 96. It's the safest choice, in my opinion.

There are weakspots on the tank, but I don't think you will be able to do that many maneuvers with this one, it's not a mobile tank, and it's an arty magnet. Hence more a passive helper than a frontal pusher, not that it can't push, it's that I would not exactly recommend you go full William Wallace in this tank. Your frontal armor might be good for tier 6, but you are just too slow, have crappy mobility, crappy viewrange and arty will love you for it. Never allow the enemy your sides,as they are made out of paper.

Edited by Nosferat1, 23 May 2018 - 05:33 PM.

NoPoet406 #6 Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:33 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2408 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

Remember that the O-I tanks are feared and considered by many to be extremely OP for their tier. They are also extremely common. These are bad points because they mean that any experienced player has to learn how to kill them. You will laugh your head off when fighting against average players, but those who spend all day every day playing WoT will slaughter you mercilessly, so make sure you always stick near your team mates.

Coming from someone who is used to playing slow, heavily armoured tanks which die easily against experienced players, you should not allow yourself to get distracted or frustrated by the tank's slow pace. Remember that you will never be fast even when pushed or heading downhill. Let go of your eagerness and frustration to get into the fight. In most games you will reach the enemy eventually.

Learn how to angle. Understand that other tanks MUST spot the enemy for you, you are not a scout and never will be in this thing. If you are doing all the spotting, your team is doing it wrong, so proceed with extreme caution as it's likely everyone else will die like wimps.

Don't EVER sit out in the open trying to line up a shot against pesky light tanks zipping around the place, and don't ever cross wide open spaces - stick to cover eg hills, buildings etc. Decide where you want to go and look for the safest route to get there. It is very easy to get distracted as soon as your team mates start spotting; derp guns are not sniper guns and won't hit moving targets unless you're really good/lucky. Your reload takes an ice age so RETREAT behind cover, don't just sit there for twenty seconds.

Remember your team mates will probably cluster around you for protection but you are massive and powerful enough to barge most tanks out of the way if you need to retreat. 

Artillery dream about tanks like the O-I. Spall liners are hugely expensive and don't seem to do much, although I've never used them on anything bigger than a Matilda, so save your credits (unless better players advise you to take one).

If I took my own advice I'd probably have 3-marked my Churchill I by now :trollface:

wEight_Tanker #7 Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7538 battles
  • [VI90M] VI90M
Never ever reveal your sides, go for the 15cm howitzer, load 30% AP and/or HEAT if you're as rich as Bill Gates and 70% of HE, if you're sure that you could pen your next target with AP and that you'd have close enough time to reload when it appears and 700dmg it then load the AP/HEAT. Clutch Braking 100% is my favorite part seeing that huge 150 ton steel crate traversing at such speed, you should get that too and mess with flankers in open areas.

wsatnutter #8 Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 24442 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

swap it for a punnet of sprouts

Homer_J #9 Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Press R twice, bully anything same tier or lower, avoid anything two tiers higher.

Corruption_Clan #10 Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 45430 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 23 May 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

Press R twice, bully anything same tier or lower, avoid anything two tiers higher.

^^^ This,

And then add on if you are in a situation where you do have to shoot anything two tiers higher... Load that High Explosive! (and aim for tracks if some other dudes are shooting that guy also - gotta get that assist)

Suurpolskija #11 Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:43 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO
Left click right click... oh wait... right click left click... errr.... Try those out, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it!

Enforcer1975 #12 Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20708 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSuurpolskija, on 23 May 2018 - 06:43 PM, said:

Left click right click... oh wait... right click left click... errr.... Try those out, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it!

Like this?

This?

Or this?

Suurpolskija #13 Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:18 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18692 battles
  • [URHO] URHO

View PostEnforcer1975, on 23 May 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

Or this?

I think this resembles the method I use.

Dava_117 #14 Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:43 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18578 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

My suggestion is to trash the tank. If you like to derp, take KV-2. Far superior to O-I.

If you like HTs, try onothee between the USSR lines, English, Chinese, German or US.

But if you really want to climb up thise line, remember that you got a terrible on/off armour. Everything with more than 160mm pen, will deal damage to you, everything else will mostly bounce you.

The derp may help you to scare paper tanks and you will likely deal damage every shot. 

A really boring and frustrating tank, IMO...

Edited by Dava_117, 23 May 2018 - 08:44 PM.

kejmo #15 Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:02 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27919 battles
Sell, buy any russian, profit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users