I bounced a shot in the Type 91

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

NoPoet406 #1 Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2441 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

I recently played through the Type 91, which I affectionately entitled "The Destroyer of Stats". Its so-called "derp" gun boasting a splendid 35mm of pen somehow wasn't doing the job against Matildas. Even tier 3 light and medium tanks were limping away with moderate damage. That is, until I got the best gun. The tank suddenly became a long range sniper which was capable of actually winning games - and surviving them. I started to "enjoy" the tank. It was now capable of doing something other than making me curse the day of my conception. The grind had been long, I am now bald from the stress, but I made it to the Type 95.

Ah yes, the Type 95. This tank has very special features which no-one else has mentioned.

1. It makes the Churchill Gun Carrier look like a good idea.

There are two tanks in the game that I feel less confident in than the CGC. The Archer and the Type 95. In the "which one sucks the least" contest, the Archer scores an unexpected win, because it has some decent guns to make up for being a pile of manure. The Type 95 does not. It is in fact just manure. What kind of idiot designs a tank the size of a Warhound titan and builds it out of polystyrene? Did the designers feel that moving at 20kph would be better protection than armour? You could bend over, jam a lit firework into your backside, close your eyes and put your fingers in your ears, and still have a 95% chance of it hitting a moving Type 95. (I do not recommend attempting this as the bum doctor told me that I am lucky to still be walking.)

2. It takes 14,000+ XP to flush this turd, and that's not counting all the stuff you need to upgrade it.

This means you will be stuck commanding the Type 95 for around 7,000 games.

3. There is no number three, my existing reasons are sound and should be regarded as canon.

I would like to finish on a note of hope. Well I did bounce one shot in the Type 91 while running away from a fight. Maybe a second one bounced, things were pretty chaotic, but let's not get carried away.

Shizuthink #2 Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35150 battles
  • [ZEON] ZEON
Replay or it didn't happen :P

Laukaus #3 Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8819 battles
I think every small- d i c k e d player who starts grinding this imagination tank line, should suffer at least a bit in lower tiers.  

evilchaosmonkey #4 Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:55 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16718 battles
  • [EIGHT] EIGHT

View PostNoPoet406, on 23 May 2018 - 07:24 PM, said:

What kind of idiot designs a tank the size of a Warhound titan and builds it out of polystyrene? Did the designers feel that moving at 20kph would be better protection than armour? You could bend over, jam a lit firework into your backside, close your eyes and put your fingers in your ears, and still have a 95% chance of it hitting a moving Type 95. (I do not recommend attempting this as the bum doctor told me that I am lucky to still be walking.)

The British army apparently.  You haven't played the TOG have you?

NoPoet406 #5 Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2441 battles
  • [USAW] USAW
I forgot about the TOG but the difference is, the TOG is a decent tank.

leggasiini #6 Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:58 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15163 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostNoPoet406, on 23 May 2018 - 10:59 PM, said:

the TOG is a decent tank.

Not really, but its still better than the Type 95.

The most funny joke is that the Type 95 got buffed, and quite a bit, even

Captain_Kremen0 #7 Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:28 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37612 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB
You do realise the Archer is faster in reverse which gets you there pretty nippy?

_Sensation_ #8 Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7811 battles
  • [SHEKL] SHEKL

View PostNoPoet406, on 23 May 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

2. ---------------->It takes 14,000+ XP to flush this turd<--------, and that's not counting all the stuff you need to upgrade it.

This means you will be stuck commanding the Type 95 for around -------------->7,000 games. <------------

What

you got a whopping 2 exp per battle? 

snowy76 #9 Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

Private

• Player
  • 27924 battles
  • [KTTP] KTTP

View PostCaptain_Kremen0, on 23 May 2018 - 11:28 PM, said:

You do realise the Archer is faster in reverse which gets you there pretty nippy?

The Archer is a beast if you know what you are doing. :bush:

PowJay #10 Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:03 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36046 battles

My stats in the Type 95

and seeing as how you asked. Yours

Maybe you haven't upgraded it yet?

My stats in the Archer

And seeing as how you asked. Yours.

I guess that you haven't upgraded this either.

Many tanks are like Marmite- I seem to be the one that likes a lot of them- but you cannot fully criticise a tank until you've played it upgraded and with a good crew.

I have 188 Fire for Effect ribbons on the Type 95. 3 Top Gun, 9 High Calibre (top damage is 1419 HP), a Dumitru and a Naydin medal to boot.

In the Archer, I have a Radley Walters and Kolobanov from the same battle, 246 Fire for Effect, 17 High Calibre and and an additional 3 Top Gun. I also have 2 MoE and was over 90% before it dropped back (iirc). My top damage in the Archer is 2478 HP

Edited by PowJay, 24 May 2018 - 11:05 AM.

ApocalypseSquad #11 Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 26642 battles
Kept the Archer.  Awesome tank.  Also did pretty well in the pre-buff CGC.  Not sure why it has such a neg rep.

NoPoet406 #12 Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 2441 battles
  • [USAW] USAW

Whoops, forgot about this topic!

I finally managed to get rid of the type 95 in one glorious day where I won almost every battle and had multiple 600+ damage games; one of them was a 900 damage game and I am guessing it would have been a Mastery if my team hadn't capped, as I was actually winning against four enemy tanks at once and someone's autocannon bounced nearly 40 shots off my turret. (IT BOUNCED SOMETHING!!!) This was also my first ever serious attempt to go hull down: I was fighting uphill, and they had to fight through the wreckage of three of their team mates that I'd killed, and all they could see was my gun. I should have ripped my shirt off, styled my hair into a ginger mohawk and roared a death-song.

I would say the type 95 is exceptionally situational. You need the right combination of upgrades, map, team mates, enemy composition and NO PLATOONING (as platooning puts you in +2 tier games 99.9% of the time). The stars have to be right, the Chaos Gods need to be at war with each other and Jennifer Lawrence needs to be lying in bed thinking of you. Then, the Type 95 can shine. Beating 29 other players in tier 4's worst tank is a glorious feeling. I did start to enjoy it but there are too many games where it's useless and cannot contribute. I found that I was the only heavy on the team about 90% of the time. The O-I Exp is far more fun to play and can always meaningfully contribute. My only other tank that people retreat from is the AT15A.

The Archer: I'm aware that a good player in an Archer is terrifying. However the Archer is veterans-only. The need to reverse your tank is mind boggling (although if I properly grind this tank it might become second nature), and it always dies in one or two hits. The reverse speed is not at all exceptional and the tank is miles too slow considering it doesn't have a turret. It isn't fully upgraded yet although I do have the top gun. The gun itself is exceptional, the camo is good, but the Archer is very easily killed and cannot defend itself in a brawl; even the tier 3 Valentine AT is better due to a combination of superb traverse speed and nigh-impenetrable armour. The Val AT also has superior accuracy and superior ROF, and is overlooked as a threat.

When all's said and done, I also suck in the Sherman 3, and the only derp gun I've ever consistently hit with is fitted to the O-I Exp. My recent WN8 indicates that I've become a 750 WN8 player and I think that's amazing for 2400 games, and the reasons why I am "only" playing at 750 are becoming ever more obvious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users