Jump to content


So what tank is an "assault tank" instead of an ambush vehicle against 2 tiers higher enemie...


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Alezul #1 Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:50 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 39095 battles
  • 1,188
  • Member since:
    01-27-2011

Just curious about this little bit of info in the post regarding the PMM tanks.

 

They wanna keep the kv5 as an "assault tank" apparently...against all those lovely tier 10 TDs. I don't have a kv5, don't care for it specifically. i just wanna know....what tanks ARE assault tanks in such situations? Maybe i'm missing something but it seems every tank fighting against 2 tiers higher is gonna be an "ambush vehicle". Which is to say, not a very fun and engaging vehicle.

 

Obviously i'm saying that +/-2 mm is unbalanced and unfun, there's no shortage of topics on this forum related to that. I just wanna draw attention to that stupid phrase of preserving the kv5 as an assault tank while making it meet tanks that pen it practically everywhere. Is this how people in charge of tank balance think?



Jotneblod #2 Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:59 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 1007 battles
  • 179
  • [-UM] -UM
  • Member since:
    01-01-2015

Nothing. All tanks with +2/-2 matchmaking are support tanks except for tanks like Defender that are basically tier 8.75 tanks and that have so unhealthy amounts of armor that even tier 10s struggle to penetrate them.

 

+2/-2 is a disease of proactive gameplay which is why in World of Tanks players seem even more passive and risk-averse than in any other game. Spending most games as bottom tier people just have to "pley suport" 75% of the time even on their heavy tanks. It's just a terrible system that dumbs down the game and kills off interaction between the players.

 

But hey, at least we get to see Japanese Tigers in tier 8 games right? What could possibly be more awesome?


The reason why they say stuff about wanting to keep KV-5 as an assault tank is because they don't play or understand their own game and they treat their customers as brainless mongoloids. Which considering the player base is quite accurate.


Edited by Jotneblod, 24 May 2018 - 06:00 AM.


NUKLEAR_SLUG #3 Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:09 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 29179 battles
  • 2,253
  • Member since:
    06-13-2015

View PostJotneblod, on 24 May 2018 - 05:59 AM, said:

The reason why they say stuff about wanting to keep KV-5 as an assault tank is because they don't play or understand their own game and they treat their customers as brainless mongoloids. Which considering the player base is quite accurate.

 

It's always enjoyable to see these kind of comments berating WG for their total lack of understanding of their product as evidenced by their yearly financial results.

 

It's good to know we have so many highly successful independent game developers of industry leading products in the community to help steer WG away from the financial ruin and failure of their game that they've been recently heading towards for these last seven years...



Element6 #4 Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:20 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29305 battles
  • 10,394
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-06-2013

The KV-5, when turned into an ordinary MM tank, can face at most 3 +2 tanks. Do you want to know why it is considered an assault tank? Then I want to know why on earth you would assume to always run into the enemy +2 tanks wherever you decide to go on the map. If there are no +2 tanks in the battle, it will face at most 5 +1 tanks.

 

People really know how to inflate an issue around here.



Alezul #5 Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:36 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 39095 battles
  • 1,188
  • Member since:
    01-27-2011

View PostElement6_TheSprout, on 24 May 2018 - 03:20 AM, said:

Then I want to know why on earth you would assume to always run into the enemy +2 tanks wherever you decide to go on the map. 

 

Because that's how maps are designed? If you go "assault mode", you will fight for the important corridors or spots on a map, which is where the big +2 tiers enemies are going. 

 

Besides, if you don't meet +2 tier enemies, it's irrelevant. They say there can be an assault tank in +2 tier games. Having luck and not meeting anything isn't really the point. 

 

And another magical aspect of the 3/5/7 system is that you'll be bottom tier most of the games. So you'll need luck in most games to not meet +2 tier enemies. That doesn't sound like an "assault anything" to me.

 

I don't think i'm artificially inflating the issue. The mm situation truly is garbage. It was garbage from the start of this game, it's garbage now (even if it's in a different way).



Thejagdpanther #6 Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:14 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 34547 battles
  • 4,420
  • [TKBS] TKBS
  • Member since:
    07-16-2012
It's a dead tank.

Element6 #7 Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:58 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29305 battles
  • 10,394
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-06-2013

View PostAlezul, on 24 May 2018 - 07:36 AM, said:

 

Because that's how maps are designed? If you go "assault mode", you will fight for the important corridors or spots on a map, which is where the big +2 tiers enemies are going. 

 

Besides, if you don't meet +2 tier enemies, it's irrelevant. They say there can be an assault tank in +2 tier games. Having luck and not meeting anything isn't really the point. 

 

And another magical aspect of the 3/5/7 system is that you'll be bottom tier most of the games. So you'll need luck in most games to not meet +2 tier enemies. That doesn't sound like an "assault anything" to me.

 

I don't think i'm artificially inflating the issue. The mm situation truly is garbage. It was garbage from the start of this game, it's garbage now (even if it's in a different way).

Alternatively you can sit during countdown and look at the map and the tank setups and think, hmm...3 enemy +2 tier tanks that are HT, they will probably go to location X, so I will go to location Y so I don't get pawned.

 

You don't have to consciously go to where you know the worst enemies are likely to appear.



Dorander #8 Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 18184 battles
  • 2,709
  • Member since:
    05-07-2012
Anything equipped with AR-15s? :hiding:

Alezul #9 Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 39095 battles
  • 1,188
  • Member since:
    01-27-2011

View PostElement6_TheSprout, on 24 May 2018 - 04:58 AM, said:

they will probably go to location X, so I will go to location Y so I don't get pawned.

 

That's exactly how an "ambush vehicle" would think, not an "assault tank".

 

But even ignoring that. The maps simply don't allow for that. You either go where heavies go or you crawl to where lighter tanks go to "support" them, not assault anything.

 

You can't choose what enemy you will meet. The lower tiers will hide behind the big guys, like you do as well.



Search_Warrant #10 Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:28 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 27190 battles
  • 6,145
  • [LEWD] LEWD
  • Member since:
    02-08-2011
Literally all british AT line was "assault bunkers" but in WoT they are more "free food for anyone pressing 2 key" thats the problem with assault tanks. 2 key negates them. (or they have huge stupid weak spots)

HundeWurst #11 Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 69735 battles
  • 4,337
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS
  • Member since:
    02-06-2012

Well every single bottom tier tank is more or less a support vehicle, of that I am quit certain.

Yet an IS3 can play way closer to the enemy, might he be 1 or even 2 tiers higher. Ofc there are other tanks out there which just dont work being bottom tier.

 

But yeah... I mean I get your irony or sarcasm, but WG insists on their way. They make money like that, so nothing is going to change.



Element6 #12 Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29305 battles
  • 10,394
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    01-06-2013

View PostAlezul, on 24 May 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

 

That's exactly how an "ambush vehicle" would think, not an "assault tank".

 

But even ignoring that. The maps simply don't allow for that. You either go where heavies go or you crawl to where lighter tanks go to "support" them, not assault anything.

 

You can't choose what enemy you will meet. The lower tiers will hide behind the big guys, like you do as well.

No, I often go to the front in a -2 tank, but tend to do it on the flank where I least expect the +2 tanks to appear. I can't chose who to meet, but I can make guesstimations based on previous experience, and it often holds true. Like yesterday in my IS-M on Steppes north spawn, I lead a push on the east flank where you tend to encounter MTs and LTs. 

 

It's not always a success of course, sometimes you go to the opposite flank of where you think the +2 tanks will go and get flooded by an enemy lemmingtrain because almost the entire enemy team decided to go to one side, but such is the nature of WoT, you can't predict everything.

 

The only times I regularly stay behind the big boys is when I play paper TD type tanks with long reloads.



Nethraniel #13 Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:07 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 13213 battles
  • 2,010
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    05-30-2012

View PostElement6_TheSprout, on 24 May 2018 - 09:59 AM, said:

No, I often go to the front in a -2 tank, but tend to do it on the flank where I least expect the +2 tanks to appear. I can't chose who to meet, but I can make guesstimations based on previous experience, and it often holds true. Like yesterday in my IS-M on Steppes north spawn, I lead a push on the east flank where you tend to encounter MTs and LTs. 

 

It's not always a success of course, sometimes you go to the opposite flank of where you think the +2 tanks will go and get flooded by an enemy lemmingtrain because almost the entire enemy team decided to go to one side, but such is the nature of WoT, you can't predict everything.

 

The only times I regularly stay behind the big boys is when I play paper TD type tanks with long reloads.

 

Wait, you say, I might have to read the matchup and analyse it, in order to make some educated guesses for playing? Not just tapping R two times and klick tanks?

Dorander #14 Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:29 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 18184 battles
  • 2,709
  • Member since:
    05-07-2012

View PostElement6_TheSprout, on 24 May 2018 - 08:59 AM, said:

No, I often go to the front in a -2 tank, but tend to do it on the flank where I least expect the +2 tanks to appear. I can't chose who to meet, but I can make guesstimations based on previous experience, and it often holds true. Like yesterday in my IS-M on Steppes north spawn, I lead a push on the east flank where you tend to encounter MTs and LTs. 

 

It's not always a success of course, sometimes you go to the opposite flank of where you think the +2 tanks will go and get flooded by an enemy lemmingtrain because almost the entire enemy team decided to go to one side, but such is the nature of WoT, you can't predict everything.

 

The only times I regularly stay behind the big boys is when I play paper TD type tanks with long reloads.

 

Yeah, me too, usually there's some sense to it... this post reminded me of my second-to-last game last night though. I wanted to take my new German bulldog for another test drive. Got Ensk and 3/5/7 tier 10-8. Okay, not a great start. So I head over to the field... and drive nearly straight into the enemy's IS-7.

 

Curses were uttered. On the enemy's side too I'm sure 'cause that IS-7 did nothing but sidescrape against people who couldn't pen him anyway and we ended up winning... but man did I feel useless.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users