M40/43 to M53/55

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

tank276 #1 Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48865 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

Hello, I am currently grinding the tier 8, is the tier 9 much of an upgrade?

Currently working on Arty Missions 11 and 12 to unlock the last and get my Obj 260 at long last.

firelars4 #2 Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:49 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 43061 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

I don't know too much about arty, but most people say the M53/55 is the best arty tier for tier. 

you could check out this https://tanks.gg/com...40m43?t=m53m55 

Also remember that M53/55 has a turret so it can more easily get a last shot off when people are getting close.

jack_timber #3 Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:52 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32405 battles

Yes... 

T9 has much better mobility and has a "turret" so wider firing arc.

Kozzy #4 Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2
If by 'upgrade' you mean as easy if not easier to click people using little to no skill?  Then yes, it's an upgrade.  I have the M53/55 and it is easy-mode clicking all the way.

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #5 Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

View Posttank276, on 25 May 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

Currently working on Arty Missions 11 and 12 to unlock the last and get my Obj 260 at long last.

Yes, it's a very gud upgrade from the M40/43.

Sadly the Tier 10 (T92 HMC) is a lacklustre

Geno1isme #6 Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 41469 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT
Yes. While the gun is the same and only gets small improvements to reload and aiming, the T9 has almost twice the gun-arc and is also much more mobile.

Aikl #7 Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostKozzy, on 25 May 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

If by 'upgrade' you mean as easy if not easier to click people using little to no skill?  Then yes, it's an upgrade.  I have the M53/55 and it is easy-mode clicking all the way.

I think the way to measure it is multitaskability. Is the M53/M55 more 'one hand down your pants while playing'- or 'eating dinner and watching football while "playing" "tanks" '-friendly than the M40/M43? 

Honestly think those are relevant qualities - artillery requires multitasking for maximum enjoyment.

tank276 #8 Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48865 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostKozzy, on 25 May 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

Never understood the arty hate, it is the same about aircraft carriers in WOWS that I play. In the same context, even if you play a medium, you click to shoot.

Arty takes a different set of skills to play and another set of skills to avoid if u r facing them. Thats it, it is another class that plays differently.

Kozzy #9 Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View Posttank276, on 25 May 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

Never understood the arty hate, it is the same about aircraft carriers in WOWS that I play. In the same context, even if you play a medium, you click to shoot.

Arty takes a different set of skills to play and another set of skills to avoid if u r facing them. Thats it, it is another class that plays differently.

One of the classes you mention requires awareness of my surroundings, getting into a position from which I can be offensive and use my vehicle to its strengths while negating its weaknesses (hull down, side scraping, ridge poking etc). This class must then get line of sight on the target and aim at the target and hit the target to have a chance to pen and do damage to the target.  Also, while attacking a target I am at some risk of retaliation. The other class I can literally play from spawn, with one hand down my pants and MISS my target to death.

Not only that, but arty promotes playing 'arty safe', so yeah.

tank276 #10 Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48865 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostKozzy, on 25 May 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

One of the classes you mention requires awareness of my surroundings, getting into a position from which I can be offensive and use my vehicle to its strengths while negating its weaknesses

Those are true for arty too. Find the right angles on target, predict enemy movements, deny choke points, reposition after fire.

As I told you ,different set of skills but still skills.

Balc0ra #11 Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:52 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64344 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Posttank276, on 25 May 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

If you are doing arty missions... The stock tier 9 is the best arty for stun missions. Low pen, so not ideal for damage missions as it can still do nothing to a Maus head on. But, for stuns, there is nothing better tbh. With the top gun it's still better at most missions vs the tier 8 IMO.

tank276 #12 Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:58 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48865 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostBalc0ra, on 25 May 2018 - 10:52 AM, said:

If you are doing arty missions... The stock tier 9 is the best arty for stun missions. Low pen, so not ideal for damage missions as it can still do nothing to a Maus head on. But, for stuns, there is nothing better tbh. With the top gun it's still better at most missions vs the tier 8 IMO.

Oh thnx dude, only have 2 missions left (and will unlock one of them with a comission) untill I unlock Mission 15.

The tier 10 German arty works best, have also the t8 US and the T9 French to try.

Will get them eventually.

Edited by tank276, 25 May 2018 - 12:07 PM.

Baldrickk #13 Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29506 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostKozzy, on 25 May 2018 - 11:40 AM, said:

One of the classes you mention requires awareness of my surroundings, getting into a position from which I can be offensive and use my vehicle to its strengths while negating its weaknesses (hull down, side scraping, ridge poking etc). This class must then get line of sight on the target and aim at the target and hit the target to have a chance to pen and do damage to the target.  Also, while attacking a target I am at some risk of retaliation. The other class I can literally play from spawn, with one hand down my pants and MISS my target to death.

Not only that, but arty promotes playing 'arty safe', so yeah.

arty safe, yeah right...

That cliff did a lot for me

Looking back at where it came from:

Screw arty, really.

Kozzy #14 Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View PostBaldrickk, on 25 May 2018 - 11:05 AM, said:

arty safe, yeah right...

That cliff did a lot for me

Looking back at where it came from:

Screw arty, really.

You honestly thought THAT was arty safe?  Well, mistake number one was not being in a bush 300m away from the action.  If you are spotted then arty will punish you for making that mistake!  Also, playing 'arty safe' means playing a mobile bunker of a tank not something lightly armoured.  Heavy tanks and heavy TDs aren't priority targets for arties.  Soft mediums and lights are.

Edited by Kozzy, 25 May 2018 - 12:09 PM.

Somnorila #15 Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 55688 battles
  • [4-YOU] 4-YOU
I like them all. Each has its own flavor. As for their differences i can tell you that i felt a clear upgrade when i went from tier 8 to tier 9. I can't really say the same about going from 9 to 10. Although i don't regret getting the T92 i can't get pas the fact that it feels a bit too anemic.

Balc0ra #16 Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64344 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Posttank276, on 25 May 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

Oh thnx dude, only have 2 missions left (and will unlock one of them with a comission) untill I unlock Mission 15.

The tier 10 German arty works best, have also the t8 US and the T9 French to try.

Will get them eventually.

I'm currently grinding the tier 9 French, and it's more or less a tiny bit better then the stock gun on the US tier 9. As in 50 more alpha, a bit more pen for a slower ROF. So it's not the worst for assist and stun farming. But it's not great for damage farming tbh on the HT line etc.

View PostBaldrickk, on 25 May 2018 - 12:05 PM, said:

arty safe, yeah right...

Arty safe is dependent on what arty hits you. If they have a French arty. You more or less are safe even on a small ridge line, as they don't have the arch to hit the side of the small hills etc, and will just send it far over. If it's a UK arty, even a tall cover is not enough. And it's why it's not the worst idea to grind some of the SPG lines. So you know how they work, and where they can or can't hit on most maps.

Edited by Balc0ra, 25 May 2018 - 12:50 PM.

tank276 #17 Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48865 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostBalc0ra, on 25 May 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

I'm currently grinding the tier 9 French, and it's more or less a tiny bit better then the stock gun on the US tier 9. As in 50 more alpha, a bit more pen for a slower ROF. So it's not the worst for assist and stun farming. But it's not great for damage farming tbh on the HT line etc.

I found the French tier 9 arty gun rather underwhelming, in case of damage and splash damage mostly, accuracy to a lesser extend.

I try to take advantage of the rate of fire, mobility to shoot and scoot plus the turret.

You should try the German line, t10 is a hidden gem, hadnt played it in a long time and it helped grinding the final arty missions for the 260.

Baldrickk #18 Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29506 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View Posttank276, on 25 May 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

Those are true for arty too. Find the right angles on target, predict enemy movements, deny choke points, reposition after fire.

As I told you ,different set of skills but still skills.

Bull. Complete and utter bull.

Sure, you can improve your play by actually using two hands, but arty is just fine sat on spawn without moving anywhere.

Here is my SPG-15:2 game: http://wotreplays.eu...aldrickk-grille

I drove about 50m to the nearest bush, sat there right up until the end when I tried racing forwards to try getting the last hiding enemy tank.

Sat in that bush the entire game dropping shells on the enemy.

I don't think I ever had direct line of sight on one of them.

The bush wasn't necessary - none got within spotting range.

Movement wasn't necessary.

This was a one-handed game

So much skill needed

Find angles? No. You're typically sat at the back of the map and the enemy are coming towards you. You also don't have to worry about getting direct line of sight

Predict movements? In a class that has everyone spotting for it and can cover the entire map, swapping flanks in seconds?

Deny choke points? Are you joking. Tanks holding the line is an entire world away from just lobbing the odd shell in from your arty piece.

You don't even need to know where they are... throwing shells at whatever pops up on the map is good enough

Reposition after firing? Sure, in the 1/50th battle where the enemy arty actually wastes time trying to spot your tracer and counterbattery fire you instead of hitting spotted targets.

Again it's still a world away from normal vehicles

Hey, i even have a "case study."

Remember this guy?

https://youtu.be/D2LBYQzqItM

Well, after that, he discovered arty.

You can see it in his videos. Loads of T-18, loads of KV-1... then arty arty arty arty.

What happened to his stats?

Posted Image

Can you guess when he started playing arty?

Vule777 #19 Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:58 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22439 battles

The best arty as far as I know, for me is even better than tier 10 t92. It have mobility, it have awesome splash radius, it have great gun, reload is pretty fast if you have good crew...and so on. My favorite.With it you can even spot, or ramm some weaker tanks, you can move, it have good cover if you grind cover for crew.

When I reach 5000 bonds I use it on that tank and put ventilation on it. For example french tier 10 arty can't kill me in 1 shot...

Here is a replay of last night, it was a bad game (all drunk :D) but you can see results:

http://wotreplays.eu...e/4372685#stats

Edited by Vule777, 25 May 2018 - 01:13 PM.

tank276 #20 Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 48865 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

View PostBaldrickk, on 25 May 2018 - 11:57 AM, said:

Bull. Complete and utter bull.

Sure, you can improve your play by actually using two hands, but arty is just fine sat on spawn without moving anywhere.

Here is my SPG-15:2 game: http://wotreplays.eu...aldrickk-grille

I drove about 50m to the nearest bush, sat there right up until the end when I tried racing forwards to try getting the last hiding enemy tank.

Sat in that bush the entire game dropping shells on the enemy.

I don't think I ever had direct line of sight on one of them.

The bush wasn't necessary - none got within spotting range.

Movement wasn't necessary.

This was a one-handed game

So much skill needed

Find angles? No. You're typically sat at the back of the map and the enemy are coming towards you. You also don't have to worry about getting direct line of sight

Predict movements? In a class that has everyone spotting for it and can cover the entire map, swapping flanks in seconds?

Deny choke points? Are you joking. Tanks holding the line is an entire world away from just lobbing the odd shell in from your arty piece.

You don't even need to know where they are... throwing shells at whatever pops up on the map is good enough

Reposition after firing? Sure, in the 1/50th battle where the enemy arty actually wastes time trying to spot your tracer and counterbattery fire you instead of hitting spotted targets.

Again it's still a world away from normal vehicles

Hey, i even have a "case study."

Remember this guy?

https://youtu.be/D2LBYQzqItM

Well, after that, he discovered arty.

You can see it in his videos. Loads of T-18, loads of KV-1... then arty arty arty arty.

What happened to his stats?

Posted Image

Can you guess when he started playing arty?

First of all relax before you get a heart attack, i just stated a different opinion.

So you judge the performance of a whole class because you had an easy time getting an arty mission in just 1 game? Thats quite a big sample,gg.

All my points are fair, didnt try to convince you in particular and not interested to either. If you dont like the class or you consider it to low for your quality of play, dont bother to play it.

And who is that guy in the video,never heard of him.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users