What games besides WoT have you been playing lately?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

CircleOfSorrow #1 Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28782 battles

I have been playing Factorio a lot lately and can't remember the last time I enjoyed a game this much.  It really sucks you in and time disappears while playing it.

What games have you discovered as gems lately and why?

Balc0ra #2 Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 63685 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Battletech, just proves turned based combat is still fun if done right. Also been playing lots o Terra Tech of late. It's no new game. But I found it fun enough in it's own way when I started it a few days ago. 

Also playing lots o 8-bit army and SC2 online. Atm those are the two games I fire up when WOT is not working. That and I bought Mafia 1 on GOG recently. Playing that again has been fun. It's not aged super well. But it still works. 

CircleOfSorrow #3 Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:37 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28782 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 26 May 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

Battletech, just proves turned based combat is still fun if done right. Also been playing lots o Terra Tech of late. It's no new game. But I found it fun enough in it's own way when I started it a few days ago. 

Also playing lots o 8-bit army and SC2 online. Atm those are the two games I fire up when WOT is not working. That and I bought Mafia 1 on GOG recently. Playing that again has been fun. It's not aged super well. But it still works. 

I've got Battletech on my wishlist.  I have a policy of not buying anything from Steam for full price, so I might have to wait a while.  It looks like a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed the salvage and management aspect of MW2 Mercenaries, so I look forward to having a go.

Nethraniel #4 Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12242 battles

I played through the whole Battletech Campaign. Fun game, especially for BT veterans.

Else,

Total War Warhammer 2

Stellaris

Hearts of Iron 4

jabster #5 Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12526 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostNethraniel, on 26 May 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

I played through the whole Battletech Campaign. Fun game, especially for BT veterans.

Else,

Total War Warhammer 2

Stellaris

Hearts of Iron 4

I was interested in BT but from the reviews I've read the economy side has put me off as I prefer my tactcal games to be just that. So one for a Steam sale I feel.

I've been playing Black Mesa, Steel Division: Normandy 44 and Dishourned.

Jigabachi #6 Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17852 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Nothing, really. Too many other things to do. The garden takes up a lot of time and I didn't build anything since months (be it something useful or just art), which almost makes my head explode.

But I might give Minecraft another try, even though it's as dead as this game in terms of new content. I might install the world builder mod to make a custom world map I can fill with all kinds of stuff. The vanilla map I chose to be my big sandbox map really sucks...

Apart from that, there are only a few games that caught my attention:

https://rimworldgame.com/

http://moonlighterthegame.com/

https://pixelcount-s...itch.io/kynseed

http://www.eastshade.com/

Edited by Jigabachi, 26 May 2018 - 11:24 PM.

samuelx43a #7 Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:57 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20958 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

for me, I've been sticking to a game that its know as warframe, quite enjoyable and also some battlefield 4.

i'm currently also downloading the open beta of dauntless

Hedgehog1963 #8 Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:29 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 50566 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
WoWS but not much because of Frontline.  Otherwise I'm really into Chess at the moment. I picked up Fritz Eleven for less than £3 and that included delivery.  Amazing software.  Never been a better time to get into it with the streamers and analyses of games on Twitch and You Tube.

Edited by Hedgehog1963, 27 May 2018 - 09:31 AM.

CircleOfSorrow #9 Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:55 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28782 battles

View PostNethraniel, on 26 May 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

Else,

Total War Warhammer 2

Stellaris

Hearts of Iron 4

I intend on get TWW2 on its first major sale.  The coop looks very good.  I still haven't bought Stellaris or HoI4 because I didn't like keeping up with the DLC for EU4 and CK2.  I still play CK2 in binges.  Great game.

View Postjabster, on 26 May 2018 - 07:12 PM, said:

I was interested in BT but from the reviews I've read the economy side has put me off as I prefer my tactcal games to be just that. So one for a Steam sale I feel.

I've been playing Black Mesa, Steel Division: Normandy 44 and Dishourned.

The economy side interests me a lot.  I can understand you appreciating one aspect of the game more strongly though.  I didn't buy Steel Division on its first major sale for some reason.  Can't remember why.  Do you rate it highly?

View PostJigabachi, on 26 May 2018 - 10:20 PM, said:

Nothing, really. Too many other things to do. The garden takes up a lot of time and I didn't build anything since months (be it something useful or just art), which almost makes my head explode.

But I might give Minecraft another try, even though it's as dead as this game in terms of new content. I might install the world builder mod to make a custom world map I can fill with all kinds of stuff. The vanilla map I chose to be my big sandbox map really sucks...

Apart from that, there are only a few games that caught my attention:

https://rimworldgame.com/

http://moonlighterthegame.com/

https://pixelcount-s...itch.io/kynseed

http://www.eastshade.com/

If you enjoy Minecraft, maybe check Factorio out?  There is a demo available for it.  I loved Rimworld, but I'm going to wait for a few major updates before I play it to burn out again.  My gardening has only just started for the year, so not much to do.  My plants are off to a strong start though, so soon there will be an hour or two of fussing every day.

View Postsamuelx43a, on 27 May 2018 - 01:57 AM, said:

for me, I've been sticking to a game that its know as warframe, quite enjoyable and also some battlefield 4.

i'm currently also downloading the open beta of dauntless

I tried to get into Warframe.  Twice.  The universe is too weird for me, and there is something about the grindy nature of the game that is offputting for me.

View PostHedgehog1963, on 27 May 2018 - 08:29 AM, said:

WoWS but not much because of Frontline.  Otherwise I'm really into Chess at the moment. I picked up Fritz Eleven for less than £3 and that included delivery.  Amazing software.  Never been a better time to get into it with the streamers and analyses of games on Twitch and You Tube.

I return to chess now and then.  I'm not into learning moves and countermoves, but working through possible opponent moves is nice for me when I can stop myself from being distracted.  It makes for a very structured and calm inner peace.

jabster #10 Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:46 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12526 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 27 May 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

The economy side interests me a lot.  I can understand you appreciating one aspect of the game more strongly though.  I didn't buy Steel Division on its first major sale for some reason.  Can't remember why.  Do you rate it highly?

Games with a focus on the economy side have just never really interested me and I’m not sure exactly why. In essence the idea is very similar in that you’re adopting strategies to maximise your potential but I think part of it is I tend to find that tactical games I just get whereas ‘economy’ games I don’t. That then leads to the problem of when I come back to that type of game after a few months I realise I’ve forgotten how to play it and have to relearn it all again. Saying that I do like CK2 but I think that is due to the fact you can play it more like a RPG than a grand strategy game if you wish.

Steel Division, a bit early to say but so far I like it. It’s rather more wargame based than the average RTS so no base building aspects, slower paced and more depth that a rock, paper scissors approach. I’d certainly recommend picking it up when it’s on sale. I think I got the deluxe edition plus the first DLC for about £15. 

Pansenmann #11 Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33502 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

"Domina" turned out to be quite fun.

the roman gladiator computer game I mean. :hiding:

_Takumi_Fujiwara_ #12 Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:34 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18978 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

I'm currently playing a handful of games.

Skyrim, Test Drive Unlimited, and a few browser-based ones, such as NationStates, or PixelRacer.Life.

NS is a game where you can make your own country and shape it however you want. The issues are also fun to read and your country's fate depends on how you answer them.

PCL is a bit different. You need to have "make" your own cars, as in, if you want to have a bodykit or rims, or any externally visible changes to your car, you need to have some experience in image editing. Game rules allows you to even swap engines, but only with swaps that were made IRL, such as the GT4586.

Jigabachi #13 Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17852 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Factorio was fun, but while the gameplay was refreshingly complex and all, the content was rather limited. If you played one long game, you've seen it all. And it doesn't have that kind of relaxing factor like ANNO (for example), which you just play to chill and relax, even though you know the game inside out.

Edited by Jigabachi, 27 May 2018 - 05:26 PM.

Pansenmann #14 Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33502 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

found a nice review

Spoiler

CircleOfSorrow #15 Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28782 battles

View Postjabster, on 27 May 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

Games with a focus on the economy side have just never really interested me and I’m not sure exactly why. In essence the idea is very similar in that you’re adopting strategies to maximise your potential but I think part of it is I tend to find that tactical games I just get whereas ‘economy’ games I don’t. That then leads to the problem of when I come back to that type of game after a few months I realise I’ve forgotten how to play it and have to relearn it all again. Saying that I do like CK2 but I think that is due to the fact you can play it more like a RPG than a grand strategy game if you wish.

Steel Division, a bit early to say but so far I like it. It’s rather more wargame based than the average RTS so no base building aspects, slower paced and more depth that a rock, paper scissors approach. I’d certainly recommend picking it up when it’s on sale. I think I got the deluxe edition plus the first DLC for about £15. 

I know I'll be playing CK2 for years to come.  I don't know of any games even vaguely like it.  I am disappointed in the DLC content of a lot of the expansions.  I have all of the Western European DLC, the Italian Portrait Pack, and none of the Content Packs.  I really dislike Paradox's carving up of the game, and don't see good value in most of the DLC, even for 50% off.  I do like that you can play with anybody regardless of their DLC owned.

View PostPansenmann, on 27 May 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

"Domina" turned out to be quite fun.

the roman gladiator computer game I mean. :hiding:

I have played that, but I had enough after the first session :\

View Post_Takumi_Fujiwara_, on 27 May 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

I'm currently playing a handful of games.

Skyrim, Test Drive Unlimited, and a few browser-based ones, such as NationStates, or PixelRacer.Life.

NS is a game where you can make your own country and shape it however you want. The issues are also fun to read and your country's fate depends on how you answer them.

PCL is a bit different. You need to have "make" your own cars, as in, if you want to have a bodykit or rims, or any externally visible changes to your car, you need to have some experience in image editing. Game rules allows you to even swap engines, but only with swaps that were made IRL, such as the GT4586.

It's amazing how Skyrim is still being played by so many people so long after release.  I am looking for to a fully functional fan remake of Morrowind, but that isn't likely to emerge for some years yet.  I'll check NS out.  I might be able to play that on my tablet.

View PostJigabachi, on 27 May 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

Factorio was fun, but while the gameplay was refreshingly complex and all, the content was rather limited. If you played one long game, you've seen it all. And it doesn't have that kind of relaxing factor like ANNO (for example), which you just play to chill and relax, even though you know the game inside out.

I'm still new to the game, so it is still fresh and fun.  I haven't completed a map yet, and have just started a new one after exploring most of the tech tree on a map created with pacifist aliens and abundant resources.  I'm sure the challenge to defend against active attacks and co-op will add to the longevity of the entertainment.

Dead_in_30_seconds #16 Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 1993 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I've been playing Mario64 and Galaxians lately.

Apparently there are newer games?

CircleOfSorrow #17 Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28782 battles

View PostDead_in_30_seconds, on 29 May 2018 - 05:49 PM, said:

I've been playing Mario64 and Galaxians lately.

Apparently there are newer games?

Mario 64 hasn't held up well.  Galaxians is as good as ever.

jabster #18 Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:52 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12526 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 29 May 2018 - 01:56 PM, said:

I know I'll be playing CK2 for years to come.  I don't know of any games even vaguely like it.  I am disappointed in the DLC content of a lot of the expansions.  I have all of the Western European DLC, the Italian Portrait Pack, and none of the Content Packs.  I really dislike Paradox's carving up of the game, and don't see good value in most of the DLC, even for 50% off.  I do like that you can play with anybody regardless of their DLC owned.

It's amazing how Skyrim is still being played by so many people so long after release.  I am looking for to a fully functional fan remake of Morrowind, but that isn't likely to emerge for some years yet.  I'll check NS out.  I might be able to play that on my tablet.

CK2 is a strange one as although it looks like other Paradox grand strategy games it just doesn’t play out the same. For me that really comes down to its focus on the dynasty element instead of just building an empire. The DLC part, well it’s paradox so at least you know what you’re getting but as you say a lot of it is more like buying some mod than a DLC. I did have a check over at Steam and the price for the complete collection is a whopping £190 pounds which buys you a hell of a lot of portraits.

Skyrim is another great game and I only stopped playing it when I managed to get conflicting mods that meant the graphics stuttered enough that it became unplayable. I didn’t think it should be that hard to fix until I realised that some of this stuff ends up getting into your save game files. I wonder if we’ll even see number VI?

CircleOfSorrow #19 Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:13 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28782 battles

View Postjabster, on 30 May 2018 - 07:52 AM, said:

CK2 is a strange one as although it looks like other Paradox grand strategy games it just doesn’t play out the same. For me that really comes down to its focus on the dynasty element instead of just building an empire. The DLC part, well it’s paradox so at least you know what you’re getting but as you say a lot of it is more like buying some mod than a DLC. I did have a check over at Steam and the price for the complete collection is a whopping £190 pounds which buys you a hell of a lot of portraits.

Skyrim is another great game and I only stopped playing it when I managed to get conflicting mods that meant the graphics stuttered enough that it became unplayable. I didn’t think it should be that hard to fix until I realised that some of this stuff ends up getting into your save game files. I wonder if we’ll even see number VI?

I would gladly pay 100 bucks for a complete CK2, but as it is I won't complete the game content until it is released as a collection in the future.  If I am not alone in this, perhaps Paradox is actually hurting their profitability.

Ha!  Not as long as they are selling remastered editions.  To be honest, I would prefer they remade the elder scrolls series from the beginning.  Daggerfall was amazing, and deserves the treatment.  The sheer scale of that game makes it unlikely though.  I'm more of a Fallout fan now, and am hoping Obsidian secured the contract for another offshoot like New Vegas.

Nethraniel #20 Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12242 battles

View PostCircleOfSorrow, on 30 May 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

I would gladly pay 100 bucks for a complete CK2, but as it is I won't complete the game content until it is released as a collection in the future.  If I am not alone in this, perhaps Paradox is actually hurting their profitability.

Ha!  Not as long as they are selling remastered editions.  To be honest, I would prefer they remade the elder scrolls series from the beginning.  Daggerfall was amazing, and deserves the treatment.  The sheer scale of that game makes it unlikely though.  I'm more of a Fallout fan now, and am hoping Obsidian secured the contract for another offshoot like New Vegas.

I took a look at the whole Europa Universalis IV bundle... that is expensive... 250€

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users