Matchmaking POLL

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: MM (90 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Would you prefer longer queue times (30secs+), if it meant you would never see 3-5-7 MM?

1. Yes (66 votes [73.33%])

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

2. No (24 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

Would you like to see the template system removed, or change the priorities of the current template system?

1. Remove templates, "mirrorred" MM (same number of tanks of each class per team) (16 votes [15.69%])

Percentage of vote: 15.69%

2. 5-10 should be priority (45 votes [44.12%])

Percentage of vote: 44.12%

3. Same tier should be priority (35 votes [34.31%])

Percentage of vote: 34.31%

4. Fine as it is (6 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

Vote Hide poll

blastingcap #1 Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:09 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6233 battles
  • [BSKIT] BSKIT

Exactly what says on the tin. I'll let the results speak for themselves...

EDIT: So I saw a lot of you saying that 1min+ queue times were too long. And I genuinely agree that I exaggerated. But the point is: longer queue times, and get better matchups (where you can have a good impact), or enter a battle in 5 seconds and get back to the garage in under 5mins?

Also CHANGED the "longer queue times = better matchup" option, clarified the "mirrored MM" one.

Edited by blastingcap, 03 June 2018 - 01:31 AM.

blastingcap #2 Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6233 battles
  • [BSKIT] BSKIT

Welp, forgot to put up the poll... If a mod could delete it, I would appreciate...

EDIT: poll added, don't delete it unless you're a troll XD

Edited by blastingcap, 27 May 2018 - 11:16 PM.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 63409 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postblastingcap, on 27 May 2018 - 11:09 PM, said:

Exactly what says on the tin. I'll let the results speak for themselves...

Even so.. I doubt 70 votes that most polls here on EU get reflects the 800 000 that dropped by the EU server today sadly. Tho considering most use the forum to rant more so then anything, and the ppl that usually don't complain don't use it. It's not hard to predict the results. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 27 May 2018 - 11:12 PM.

TANKOPPRESSION #4 Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:14 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 40284 battles
What about the matchmaking .

blastingcap #5 Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6233 battles
  • [BSKIT] BSKIT

View PostBalc0ra, on 27 May 2018 - 11:12 PM, said:

Even so.. I doubt 70 votes that most polls here on EU get reflects the 800 000 that dropped by the EU server today sadly. Tho considering most use the forum to rant more so then anything, and the ppl that usually don't complain don't use it. It's not hard to predict the results. 

You'd be surprised...

Tankyouverymuch2 #6 Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28659 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

I guess you made this thread after watching DezGamez's vid about pref mm tanks? He mentioned a poll he held for his subs, over 10 000 people voted and 92% of those voted they'd rather wait an extra minute just to get better matchmaking.

This one:

HeidenSieker #7 Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:58 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View Postblastingcap, on 27 May 2018 - 11:10 PM, said:

Welp, forgot to put up the poll... If a mod could delete it, I would appreciate...

EDIT: poll added, don't delete it unless you're a troll XD

Perhaps sir should have made a "poll only" thread (no replies), results to be discussed in the MM "sticky".

Tinbawx #8 Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14747 battles
  • [SNOB] SNOB

Didn´t vote, because the poll options didn´t really reflect my opinion.

I´d not be happy with 1+mins queue time, though I´d get used to it if that´s where the game was headed. That being said, we didn´t have 1+ mins queue times before 3-5-7, generally speaking.

Personally, I didn´t notice any improvement concerning queue times with the introduction of 3-5-7, not that WoT needed any.

As for the templates question. Just give us back the mm we had before 9.18 (the update that brought 3-5-7), it was fine.

Dorander #9 Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:18 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17854 battles

View PostTinbawx, on 28 May 2018 - 05:11 AM, said:

As for the templates question. Just give us back the mm we had before 9.18 (the update that brought 3-5-7), it was fine.

Was it though?

Everyone's frustrated about 3-5-7 and with good reason, but if we stop staring at that for a second, the other templates are straight 15, and 5-10, both of which are better than being bottom tier at -2 which happened frequently enough under the previous system.

Add to that that the new system properly balances tank types, unlike the old system which generally considered TDs and medium tanks to be equivalent. I vividly and without pleasure recall getting a tier X Redshire battle where our side had a large amount of TDs, their side the equal amount of mediums. TDs these days are hardly equal, don't want to think about what'd happen if the matchmaker system considers them equivalent to mediums again... you can end up with one side getting two Leopard 1 tanks and the other side a Bobject and a Deathstar. Just for fun.

Oh and of course the hp balance which was also drastically improved, these days the difference is small, under the old system you could easily have 1-2k hp difference between teams.

I'm all for improving the current system, but going back to the old system is NOT an improvement, that's just too rosy memories speaking. As for the poll, didn't vote either, 1 min or more waiting time per game is annoyingly long and I am not convinced that's a reasonable result without the 3-5-7 template anyway. If it'd been called "longer waiting times up to 1 minute" or something I'd have clicked it.

Edited by Dorander, 28 May 2018 - 07:20 AM.

Tinbawx #10 Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14747 battles
  • [SNOB] SNOB

View PostDorander, on 28 May 2018 - 07:18 AM, said:

Was it though?

Everyone's frustrated about 3-5-7 and with good reason, but if we stop staring at that for a second, the other templates are straight 15, and 5-10, both of which are better than being bottom tier at -2 which happened frequently enough under the previous system.

Add to that that the new system properly balances tank types, unlike the old system which generally considered TDs and medium tanks to be equivalent. I vividly and without pleasure recall getting a tier X Redshire battle where our side had a large amount of TDs, their side the equal amount of mediums. TDs these days are hardly equal, don't want to think about what'd happen if the matchmaker system considers them equivalent to mediums again... you can end up with one side getting two Leopard 1 tanks and the other side a Bobject and a Deathstar. Just for fun.

Oh and of course the hp balance which was also drastically improved, these days the difference is small, under the old system you could easily have 1-2k hp difference between teams.

I'm all for improving the current system, but going back to the old system is NOT an improvement, that's just too rosy memories speaking. As for the poll, didn't vote either, 1 min or more waiting time per game is annoyingly long and I am not convinced that's a reasonable result without the 3-5-7 template anyway. If it'd been called "longer waiting times up to 1 minute" or something I'd have clicked it.

Fair enough, though the issue of heavies for example being stacked on one side was exacerbated quite a lot by the bad state of balancing of the game.

Having two Leopards vs two tanks of other classes is mostly a problem because Leopards are sh*t and because of superheavy meta. I prefer to tackle problems at the source. In spite of the possibility the band aid the issue via the matchmaker, heavies being so favoured in the current state of balance isn´t exactly a matchmaker problem.

Though heavies have always been strong in the meta, it has never been as bad as throughout this and the last year. And personally I´d be be ok with a little imbalance, when it comes to team line ups for the increased variety it brings, but that´s just me.

So I´ll concede the point, If other changes aren´t happening then just going back to the old system is not ideal.

Going back, but keeping the even distribution of tank classes I believe would be preferable to any kind of rigid tier template though, unless you add so many templates for the match maker to choose from, that you might aswell not have any.

Edited by Tinbawx, 28 May 2018 - 07:55 AM.

Geno1isme #11 Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:31 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40894 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

If queue times times exceed the one minute mark regulary the game would bleed players left and right, just like AW. If you combine that time with the 30s countdown, the extra time waiting for players to join the match and the victory/defeat delays you're looking at like 3 minutes per match where you're not doing anything. That's a lot of time if you add up the battles.

And wether longer queue times would actually have a positive impact on the MM quality is untested at best.

View PostDorander, on 28 May 2018 - 08:18 AM, said:

Was it though?

The old system wasn't perfect, but the concept was much better as it took care of the tier distribution automatically, where the template system requires a pyramid distribution that doesn't exist in reality (and that mismatch is causing the always-bottom-tier issues). The old system would have just required some extra constraints to avoid the massive imbalances it had occasionally. The template system on the other hand is simply broken by definition, it just cannot be fixed. All the attempts by WG to improve it actually make it worse overall.

Add to that that the new system properly balances tank types,

Nice joke. It somewhat balances tank classes, which often causes heavy imbalances in the first place (e.g. Leo vs 430U, 268v4 vs Foch 50b, ...)

Yes, WG claims to have added another balancing factor in 9.21 or so to actually match tank roles, but that doesn't work at all even for the tiers it is supposed to be implemented (T8-10).

unlike the old system which generally considered TDs and medium tanks to be equivalent. I vividly and without pleasure recall getting a tier X Redshire battle where our side had a large amount of TDs, their side the equal amount of mediums. TDs these days are hardly equal, don't want to think about what'd happen if the matchmaker system considers them equivalent to mediums again... you can end up with one side getting two Leopard 1 tanks and the other side a Bobject and a Deathstar. Just for fun.

The problem with TDs has always been those battles with 5+ TDs on either side, there should have been a hardcap for them. But yes, these days it's even more of an issue with nonsense like the v4 which is more of a mobile super-heavy. But that's more a general balancing issue, not so much a MM issue.

Rozbrus #12 Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8744 battles
I would welcome 5-10, then same tier and finaly, if everything else fails 3/5/7. However the current malarkey of 3/5/7 is unberable as it affects all tiers from 5 to 8.

Edited by Rozbrus, 28 May 2018 - 08:34 AM.

Jigabachi #13 Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:52 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17852 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Bad poll is bad, can't vote.

The MM template isn't the problem, everything around it is.

Agent_327 #14 Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16462 battles
  • [CAF] CAF

Well I would not like to wait additional time :sceptic:

Maybe switch it around and not always have same amount of top tiers but have a 5-5-5 and maybe a 2-5-8 and combinations like that. As long as there is a greater number of lower tiers in a battle more randomness would be appreciated. :great:

Tankyouverymuch2 #15 Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28659 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostAgent_327, on 28 May 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

Maybe switch it around and not always have same amount of top tiers but have a 5-5-5 and maybe a 2-5-8 and combinations like that. As long as there is a greater number of lower tiers in a battle more randomness would be appreciated. :great:

Greater number of lower tiers... Well, for example, I was playing Warplanes this weekend, in one of the matches I was top tier in a tier 6 fighter, the A6M5 Zero, the enemy tier 6 was a bot... basically me and that bot were the only tier 6 planes in the match...others were tier 5, mix and match of players and bots, around 50-50.

I DESTROYED everything in sight, I got double the amount of Personal Points than I get when I think I did great and carried... No, this was just a complete and utter slaughter-fest.

Comparing to WoT, let's imagine I was in some superheavy, and the "bot" of the same tier on the enemy team was some powercreeped heavy. No chance.

5-5-5, 5-10, 7-8, or single-tier mm, I can see that working better. There needs to be enough capable top tier tanks to counter the enemy ones.

Procjon #16 Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:11 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 52875 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 27 May 2018 - 10:12 PM, said:

You have almost 15k posts. Does it mean you are here to complain most of the time? :trollface:

HF

Procjon #17 Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:13 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 52875 battles

I would like to see same tier MM or 5-10 scenario. Having 3-5-7 with a platoon of object 268.4 is not fun playing tier 8.

Few years back it was reasonable to have 3 tier difference as tanks were more balanced. Over a time old tanks get no buffs and new POWER CREEP tanks are introduced making older tanks obsolete unless you like to be run over. In the past playing lower tanks was kind of learning lesson for higher tiers, now? it is hard to learn anything playing tier 8 vs newest gem of WG object 268.4 except how to run FAST.

HF

Edited by Procjon, 29 May 2018 - 03:22 AM.

steyrman_2016 #18 Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

Private

• Player
  • 17377 battles

The suggestion has good merit. 

I use a mix of spotting tanks, medium tanks and TD's and more recently, a couple of heavies, but there are a lot of times when there are way more TD's than medium tanks.  I have regularly played games where each side has 5- 6 TD's.

I would also like to see the mix changed and reverted to +1 / -1.   

blastingcap #19 Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:10 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6233 battles
  • [BSKIT] BSKIT

View PostTankyouverymuch2, on 27 May 2018 - 11:24 PM, said:

I guess you made this thread after watching DezGamez's vid about pref mm tanks? He mentioned a poll he held for his subs, over 10 000 people voted and 92% of those voted they'd rather wait an extra minute just to get better matchmaking.

This one:

I saw the vid, but I think it was Circon's rant video that pushed me over the edge.

blastingcap #20 Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:13 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6233 battles
  • [BSKIT] BSKIT

View PostAgent_327, on 28 May 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

2-5-8 would make it worse, since if ONE of the top tier players has a bad tank, or is a worse-than-average player, you would get ROFL stomped.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users