Why so much CPU consumption after update 1.0 ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

ValkyrionX #1 Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41394 battles
  • [G-ON] G-ON

I noticed , as I believe many of you , that the game consumes more CPU computing power after update 1.0 was released.

The problem is that the consumption remains extremely high even when the game remains open even if I'm not playing , I have no problems related to the execution of the game (I perform the game with lowest audio and graphic settings) but I can not understand much consumption even when the game should consume little computing power since I'm not playing .. even now.

This clearly translates into a high consumption of electricity , especially for those who play a lot WOT , almost as if I am mining bitcoins

I noticed an increase in the energy bill and this annoyed me not having any particular consumption of energy from other electrical or electronic devices(not having changed tariff plans or energy contracts nor having had particular increases in costs) , and analyzing the consumption of CPU for almost two weeks I can say that it is due to the high and constant use by of the game of computing power of my pc. 

When I play on average the consumption of computing capacity reaches almost 100% or in any case it remains above 70%, but during a game phase I think there may be.
I'm not an expert this is clear, but having other games over WOT, I have detected this problem only with this game and not with others ; I have collected tons of screeshots that I think can be a test and then confirm that this game currently consumes an excessive computing capacity even when the player is not actually playing but is only connected to WG servers
Before the update 1.0 this problem did not exist at least for me and my pc.

This is my configuration, remember that I play the game without problems , that my PC is very stable and does not present any problem in the execution of WOT or other games or applications, and that after several scans does not present any virus or malware of any gender.

Programs used to scan the computer for malware / rootkit and other *edited*;  Windows Defender , Malwarebytes Antimlaware Pro version , Superantispyware Free edition

COMPUTER RIG

Cpu consumption by running the game (but not playing)

CPU consumption not running WOT

pls guys give me your opinions and feedback and post your pc rig, is very important for me :)

Edited by NickMustaine, 30 May 2018 - 03:43 PM.
Inappropriate remarks

Flid_Merchant #2 Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:11 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7147 battles
i5 4690k @3.5ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX970, and WoT only uses about 3% CPU when minimised, even with a game playing out.

CircleOfSorrow #3 Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28722 battles
WoT was always CPU intensive. That AMD chip is probably equivalent to a 1.6ghz intel chip of the same generation.  You should build a cheap rig for WoT.  AMD is still behind intel in single core performance, but they have improved, and they can overclock a little better.  Their dependence on expensive high speed memory is a bit crap though.  Still, for a couple of hundred euros you have a lot of options, including second hand systems.

ValkyrionX #4 Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:42 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41394 battles
  • [G-ON] G-ON

wot in windowed mode 30% of cpu consumption , back to the desktop only  0-15 % -not closing the game-

wot in windowed-borderless mode 30-40% of cpu usage, back to the desktop  0-15%  -not closing the game-

wot full screen mode 25-30% of cpu usage, back to desktop from 0 to 15%  -not closing the game-

maybe I'm stupid, but why when I'm watching the game without playing, the CPU has a constant of use close to 30%.. objectively I'm not playing, it should be lower, like when I go back to the desktop with the game open .. am I wrong?

4nt #5 Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:45 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 21680 battles
Well my old rig isn't that much more powerful... But 4 core i3, and I've yet to notice exeptional change in CPU load past 1.0. GPU is another matter. The old GTX seems to get a heatstroke about twice in any given match...

Certainly extra load, wherever the reason, will increase consumption, but I cannot fathom why it'd be noticeable in monthly or even yearly basis... Although my bill gets almost quarterly increased by 'infrastructure improvement costs'. So individual electric application's inefficiency will probably sink into background easily.

Tldr: ptw

Enforcer1975 #6 Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 19096 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I have an old rig with an iirc E8200...it ran the game ( version 9.xx something ) with less than 30fps on high settings with a GTX260.

How much fps do you expect a slow cpu from 10 years ago with a budget gpu from like 8 years ago to generate? 

jack_timber #7 Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31653 battles

Remember when I used to play WoT on laptop. During the winter months could turn down central heating as laptop used to emit that much heat it could easily supplement the old boiler.

Will have a look at power consumption on new PC when I fire it up but can't say I have noticed any difference in leccy bill. 

Sharp1903 #8 Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37096 battles

ValkyrionX #9 Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:03 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41394 battles
  • [G-ON] G-ON

View PostEnforcer1975, on 30 May 2018 - 10:46 AM, said:

I have an old rig with an iirc E8200...it ran the game ( version 9.xx something ) with less than 30fps on high settings with a GTX260.

How much fps do you expect a slow cpu from 10 years ago with a budget gpu from like 8 years ago to generate? 

with my rig i have 58-60 stable fps with v-sync and x3 buffering on (low and medium setting on sd client )  , with v-sync and x3 buffering off (and same setting) i have about 70-80..sometimes 100 fps but i have a horrible tearing on the monitor  (philips LCD 60hz via VGA cable)

...always with resolution 1920x1080

_AchmetSchachbrett_ #10 Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 868 battles
  • [-ST_] -ST_

um, im not surprised at all to be honest. this is a cpu from 2007 (!), was one of the first quad core cpus and even back then it was a lot slower than intels core2quad... phenom II which came 1-2 years later was much better.

the whole system is outdated and im surprised it can still generate playable frame rates in wot. its definitely time for a new system...

actually this only shows that the performance increase in cpus from generation to generation is a lot less nowadays than it used to be in the early 2000s or late 90s. as a comparison, what modern games / programs could you run on a pentium I with around 233 mhz (from 1996) in 2007? exactly, none. while nowadays an 11 year old cpu seems to be enough for a lot of modern stuff...

AliceUnchained #11 Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:18 PM

General

• Player
  • 37845 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostValkyrionX, on 30 May 2018 - 09:47 AM, said:

I noticed , as I believe many of you , that the game consumes more CPU computing power after update 1.0 was released.

The problem is that the consumption remains extremely high even when the game remains open even if I'm not playing , I have no problems related to the execution of the game (I perform the game with lowest audio and graphic settings) but I can not understand much consumption even when the game should consume little computing power since I'm not playing .. even now.

This clearly translates into a high consumption of electricity , especially for those who play a lot WOT , almost as if I am mining bitcoins

I noticed an increase in the energy bill and this annoyed me not having any particular consumption of energy from other electrical or electronic devices(not having changed tariff plans or energy contracts nor having had particular increases in costs) , and analyzing the consumption of CPU for almost two weeks I can say that it is due to the high and constant use by of the game of computing power of my pc. 

Right, because a 25-30% usage is 'extremely high'... Seriously... And of course it will lead to a noticeable increase in the electricity bill... So much nonsense in just a few sentences. If you're really that concerned with the electricity bill get a decent recent low power consumption CPU. And exit the game when you're not playing. On a side note, I get 2-4% with WoT minimized and 14-18% (mostly 15-16%) running it windowed on an Intel i5 2500K @4,6 GHz. Nothing excessive about it. When the game is running windowed, the CPU and GPU still need to render frames for your display to show. Thus some usage is to be expected, and your low-end outdated hardware simply needs to work that much harder to get it done.

In any case, this thread has no business being in Gameplay section. Expect it to be relocated soon, as it should.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users