Why are people so dumb in this game?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

akataMM #121 Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 18606 battles
I`m moving this one to the "proper" section, so you can continue to discuss about human intelligence, relevance of IQ tests, or whatever :)

Long_Range_Sniper #122 Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36311 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostElement6_TheSprout, on 31 May 2018 - 09:39 AM, said:

Well, I drive 3.5T, 7T, 16T forklifts and a 45T reachstacker from time to time, so 4 in total :)

Yes, I guess that is the essence of signal's question, and even though I can probably elaborate rather well on the bulletpoints if sitting in a room having a discussion, I brainfart rather regularly when it comes to thinking of them all while in a battle.

Judging by the feedback I get from people around me over time, after 20 years behind the wheel of a forklift, I am something of a real life unicum in those, so there's that. Drivers are often vary of their vehicle, especially for accidents where they get damaged by a muppet in a forklift, and some tell me that I am one of relatively few people they allow to load/unload their vehicle without them being present, and they say I am extremely time effective.

Can't be good at everything in life, so average tanker it is.

Out of positive votes.

The success of the game is I think how it has many routes to enjoyment.

It could be winning, grinding, three marking, or CW. With many others as well.

When one persons enjoyment meets a different view there’s going to be friction.

But I do agree with signal. On many levels you see some really dumb things in this game.

Pattonizer #123 Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:22 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8765 battles
Have you guys noticed something in yourself, while playing Frontline? 

It was so chilled at first, I felt refreshed, I've been waiting for a respawn mode for quite some time. No stress, no caring about stupid teammates, just play for fun. An I did. Lots of damage, lots of credit. Yay!

Than yesterday something happened. Everybody was a complete *****. I mean really, 2 enemy tanks were capping, and 10 of our tanks just stood behind the ridge line, not daring to come out. In my last try, rushed in to kill one of them, got overpowered sadly. Zone captured, need to retreat, 2 enemy tanks shoot the hell out of 10 escaping tanks. What a sight! 

Now, you see, it was not this battle. This must have going on in my very first Frontline match as well. The difference is, I did not care. I could not care. I did not now anything about the mode. About the map. About what is reasonable to do. After 10-15 battles however, I just started to figure it out. The same thing, when a new Random map comes in. Your brain just pays attention, and you get to know the drill in certain time.

Now this is the thing which does not happen with the other 80% of the people. I call them 'sleepers'. Their brains are not paying attention. Their brains pay attention to get oxygen, or something bad will happen. Very reasonable, to be honest.

I've ruined the game for myself, slowly realizing, almost intuitive, what's is wrong. Of course, you could argue, that the other players made their first battle too, so it's just the initial run. No. They've freaking had those shiny, fancy Frontline medals next to their names already. I'm on like...level 20.

This games is just amazing. Always reminds me, teaches me about the nature of humanity. It's not about realizing the levels of their stupidity, it's about reflexivity-theory. Realizing the effect that it makes on you. The next battle, I've played like an idiot. Just shooting, trying to win 1v1 battles, getting to a nice spot of the map, don't really care about the objective. Had a very fun and good run. Lost of course, because reasons. Had fun.

It is the most paradoxical discovery I've made about this game. Accepting tactical stupidity, your game will improve.

Edited by Pattonizer, 31 May 2018 - 03:26 PM.

kaneloon #124 Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 30286 battles
  • [FR2DB] FR2DB

Another thing is that even people trying to win are not always in a try-hard efficient state.

We are not surgeons trying to save a baby, we have no deep responsabilty to win for a RNG team.

When tired, angry after a friendly fire, or distracted by other problems or watching tv everyone can play badly.

Jigabachi #125 Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postkaneloon, on 31 May 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

When tired, angry after a friendly fire, or distracted by other problems or watching tv everyone can play badly.

But not for multiple thousand matches.

Besides that, the problem isn't even that much about playing badly, the problem is the complete lack of self-perception and the complete inability to improve or to do something that might help with that.

Dorander #126 Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:15 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 20640 battles

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 31 May 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

Yes, but it's lots of forklifts and they're very big, so you get to multiply your IQ by the number of forklifts. 

At least you're in the list. My first job after university isn't even listed.

Signal's question though is more to do with how I think people can make decisions under pressure, rather than their IQ.

I think you can distil success in the game down to a few basic things.

• Good dexterity - To move, position, aim and fire your tank.
  • Knowledge of game all mechanics (map design, view range, armour, crew skills, upgrades, camo etc etc)
  • Analytical skills to read a dynamic changing situation - The map!!!

Miss out one of those points and it doesn't matter how clever you are, you'll come across as dumb in game,

You forgot one important thing which I can only describe as the "fork-it" factor: the desire to use these things towards victory compared to the enjoyment one gets out of playing. And this is not about "45% 'cause I play for fun" mentality, it's about something which I'll freely admit I frequently do: The "I don't care to win this way" mentality. I can aim decently well, I have fair knowledge of the game, and my analytical skills are fine... but I don't always want to use them. I use autoaim (and frequently with great success) 'cause I don't feel like aiming in a situation. I'll push a line, even in a tank not suited for it, 'cause I really don't want to sit there doing nothing. I'll nearly always drive to a high-risk-high-reward spot even if I lose half my HP in the process (like the mid-line mountain on Glacier or the southeast hill on the light/medline on Westfield. Hill on the Mines map. Sometimes I simply lose my tank in the process, but it beats being bored behind hardcover and waiting for your teammates to do something, and farming damage if they don't, because I'm not engaged in the fight in those situations. I won't care, even if it results in higher WN8 or even winrate.

View PostNoobySkooby, on 31 May 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

Stats do NOT tell all, they do not tell if you took a shot for a teammate, helped defend a flank or at least helped hold out a flank, delaying the other team, they do not tell if you went to the correct position, and did the right thing only to find the rest of your team melts.

Nope Stats tell very little, the way to learn is to play, and play what ever tier you can, yes you can watch gameplays, replays, and any stream you care to think of, but i prefer to play the game than watch Youtube all day.

There's a clear distinction to be made here. WN8 does not measure these things. Winrate does, or at least, it does if the action was actually contributive. WN8 for example doesn't care about damage blocked or assisted damage from spotting. I've played a lot of superheavies and scouts, in fact the only tank I've ever two-marked was the AMX1390, and I did it by spotting. But WN8 doesn't care, it wants damage.

If you see my stats in-game, I'm a "banana", I look very yellow. But my winrate is very green, even dark green. My recent stats, if you were to look them up, are very blue. I frequently play in a way that generates opportunities for my team, and if they fail to use them, I die uselessly. If they do use them, what I just did broke a flank. I'll drive forwards. I'll soak shots. I'll drive around that hill they're camping and go full speed around their sides, 'causing 99% of all players to turn their turrets towards me. Inevitably I'll take a few shots. I'll throw some out too but the objective is not to farm damage, it's to generate an opportunity while their turrets are turned. These actions, if capitalized upon, do reflect in your winrate. And I'd rather have a decent winrate any day of the week than a high WN8. WN8 is a third party stat for people obsessed with damage, winrate is for people obsessed with tactics. You can win games, even end up with top xp, without firing your gun and being a good scout (though arguably you could fire your gun and do even better occasionally, especially at the end of the battle). But if you don't get the winrate to reflect that what you do matters, nobody'll ever take it seriously, and plenty won't do so even then.

Long_Range_Sniper #127 Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:35 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36311 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostDorander, on 31 May 2018 - 05:15 PM, said:

You forgot one important thing which I can only describe as the "fork-it" factor: the desire to use these things towards victory compared to the enjoyment one gets out of playing. And this is not about "45% 'cause I play for fun" mentality, it's about something which I'll freely admit I frequently do: The "I don't care to win this way" mentality. I can aim decently well, I have fair knowledge of the game, and my analytical skills are fine... but I don't always want to use them. I use autoaim (and frequently with great success) 'cause I don't feel like aiming in a situation. I'll push a line, even in a tank not suited for it, 'cause I really don't want to sit there doing nothing. I'll nearly always drive to a high-risk-high-reward spot even if I lose half my HP in the process (like the mid-line mountain on Glacier or the southeast hill on the light/medline on Westfield. Hill on the Mines map. Sometimes I simply lose my tank in the process, but it beats being bored behind hardcover and waiting for your teammates to do something, and farming damage if they don't, because I'm not engaged in the fight in those situations. I won't care, even if it results in higher WN8 or even winrate.

I do the same thing sometimes. I'll often get direct feedback in TS from my team mates "What the F are you doing LRS!!!!", and my reply is often "I'm bored!!!"

I'll have analysed the map correctly, I know the right thing to do is to sit tight, not peek, not rush over that gap, not try and sneak through the forest, not be the first to push etc etc.

But I just get bored, and want to create some opportunities in what would otherwise turn into a bit of a boring game.

I could probably push my WR/Wn8 slightly higher if I didn't do this, but no matter what level you play at the game should remain fun for you as an individual.

Pansenmann #128 Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:22 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35648 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 30 May 2018 - 08:30 PM, said:

Wel, lets put it like this:

If 90% of the people on the third planet from the stellar object we call the sun that we call earth are dumb.

Then it is likely that 90% of that group of people, which happen to play a game called World of Tanks, are also dumb.

some people say it was a bad idea to come down from the trees in the first place.

Pattonizer #129 Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:05 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8765 battles
My God.

People are dumb.

All in all, I am the dumbest for trying to communicate with these useless monkeys from time to time.
http://wotreplays.eu...cf64622e629e4fc

End of story.

Edited by Pattonizer, 31 May 2018 - 11:19 PM.

iztok #130 Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:44 AM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

View PostPansenmann, on 31 May 2018 - 09:22 PM, said:

some people say it was a bad idea to come down from the trees in the first place.

​Others even claim it was a bad idea to crawl out of water. ;)

Edited by iztok, 01 June 2018 - 11:44 AM.

mpf1959 #131 Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24358 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Only the dumb truly know themselves.............

TeessideTintin #132 Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:14 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10104 battles

View PostPansenmann, on 31 May 2018 - 08:22 PM, said:

Came down from the trees and forgot how to eat bananas. I'm serious, 95% of people open a banana the opposite end to our fellow primates; guess which way works better in terms of simplicity to open and having a stalk to hold on to when you reach the end.

Jigabachi #133 Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAdsterMFC, on 02 June 2018 - 07:14 AM, said:

Came down from the trees and forgot how to eat bananas. I'm serious, 95% of people open a banana the opposite end to our fellow primates; guess which way works better in terms of simplicity to open and having a stalk to hold on to when you reach the end.

The other side opens more nicely, so, when I have a knife around, I use that side.

When you really want to talk about lost skills, talk about everything around self-sufficient living. People don't know where their energy or food comes from and where their waste goes. And many don't even care. That causes so many problems in our society already... I find that very scary.

CircleOfSorrow #134 Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:16 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29236 battles
If you are reading this thread and find the idea of human evolution interesting, research the stoned ape theory.  

Baldrickk #135 Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32139 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostEnforcer1975, on 31 May 2018 - 02:02 AM, said:

People who suck at something usually either stop or try to improve and considering how the average wr is 48% even when you don't try having significantly less is not understandable. I doubt so many have a handicap when they can type normally just fine. 

I... I have trouble with teh tyoing sometimes.

Edit: OK, the first typo was on purpose. That second one right after on the other hand...

Edited by Baldrickk, 02 June 2018 - 07:49 PM.

Babbet_1 #136 Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13306 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postmpf1959, on 01 June 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

Only the dumb truly know themselves.............

Well, I forgot my name the other day - can I join Mensa now?  :harp:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users